• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Female Thor = Feminist Propaganda

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
On a side note, this video sorta sums up the best of it. It's talking about characters of color, but it really does also apply to gender as well.

Making new characters that are respectable in their own right would be so much better than taking an existing character and changing them, because 1) the character's popularity is tied into either their new race/gender or the popularity of when the character was less diverse, like...it sounds really weird to say, but that new black character's popularity is owed to when they were white. Then of course, 2) it's a very shallow way to simply appease a group of people, instead of creating a new diverse character that everyone can get behind. The character becomes more diverse because people want diversity, but more often than not it becomes a token thing, and they play up their diversity, which really just ruins what progress could be made.

Meg

I get what your saying, and I do what to see more diverse characters being created, but I also think that the person who gets the role should be whoever is best in that role. Just because Bond has always been a white guy doesn't mean he always has to be a white guy. If a black guy auditions for the role, and he completely nails it, like completely understands the character and embodies him really well, then he should get the role. That's true for every role. I don't think skin color should be the defining trait of an actor's performance.

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
@Meg: Then neither should gender. Which isn't that what they're trying to get at here with this? Maybe I missed the point.

They did a remake of Annie, and she wasn't white. So skin colour or gender shouldn't define a character, nor really should what a character does. Because remakes, reboots, reimaginings (call it what you will) should be about altering the character, but still giving off the same general feel that you first had for a character.

Meg

@Meg: Then neither should gender. Which isn't that what they're trying to get at here with this? Maybe I missed the point.

They did a remake of Annie, and she wasn't white. So skin colour or gender shouldn't define a character, nor really should what a character does. Because remakes, reboots, reimaginings (call it what you will) should be about altering the character, but still giving off the same general feel that you first had for a character.
Sure, but the problem with female Thor is that it isn't done well. It's basically just a way for Marvel to pander to feminists. "Look look! We're so progressive!!" Now, Sam Wilson as Captain America and Miles Morales as Spider-Man? Good stuff. :thumbsup: In those examples, they both have characters beyond "LOOK! MINORITIES!!" Whereas Female Thor is just....some woman. Who's Thor now. Does she even have her own name?? :eek:

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
Sure, but the problem with female Thor is that it isn't done well. It's basically just a way for Marvel to pander to feminists. "Look look! We're so progressive!!" Now, Sam Wilson as Captain America and Miles Morales as Spider-Man? Good stuff. :thumbsup: In those examples, they both have characters beyond "LOOK! MINORITIES!!" Whereas Female Thor is just....some woman. Who's Thor now. Does she even have her own name?? :eek:

Ohhhhh, I totally get it now. Thanks for the great explanation :D

Um, Thorita? Thorisa?...idk.

ItWasAnEggTimer

Same as it ever was
Wait, that was the ACTUAL comic?

I figured that was a parody of a female Thor, because of "You want to be a female superhero? Fine. Just get your own identity."

I figured that was too good of a point to write on the opposite side.

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
All the good superhero ideas were taken, guys. I'm being serious here.

She would have to take an already existing power and create a new spin on it.

"Psychosis" ("Psychosister?")

No, that's literally my idea. The "Psychological Darkness" inside everyone's minds within her vicinity (like 5 feet, maybe) is under her control and she can create physical manifestations (a blackish-purple substance) out of it to glide, create weapons (and armor) that grow out of her arms (and brain), throw projectiles that help her fight crime, and so on.

Well, that's it. You can see why no one buys my crap.

[Yes, I know Psychosis is extremely similar to Psylocke -- that's the point, all I can do is put a new spin on any of these powers.]

At least here SheThor would be able to get some attention.

Last edited:
Top Bottom