• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Female Thor = Feminist Propaganda

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
Alright everyone... without looking Image up on google, what's the last new superhero you remember them creating?

All I remember was that red guy. No, I didn't bother to look up Image, because I wouldn't recognize any of their new heroes.

Besides, I like my idea better, as cliche as it was.

Jak

i like turtles
Supporter 2014
How'd he swing that?
59318781.jpg

lol, but in the superior spider-man books doc ock took over peter's body and built an apple-esque company. making peter parker one of the richest men in the world

as for new characters, marveland DC have made quite a few (but this is a marvel thread so i'll stick to that)
*ms. marvel (one of the few arab characters in the big two)
*daisy johnson (who i heard was recently added to the MCU)
*silk
*spider-gwen
*wiccan (one of the big two's few LGBT characters)

there are a few more, but these are the interesting lot.

Last edited:

Jak

i like turtles
Supporter 2014
SWORD
There's lots of other image titles, they keep spitting out new characters......& i say characters because i don't think all of them are good guys lol.
Anyway first on the top of my head is Sword, it was incredibly sad how it ended.

Also here's some i posted info on yesterday.
I don't think they're new new but they weren't around when i stopped buying comics a few years ago.
NIGHT WORLD
BIRTHRIGHT
SPAWN: RESURRECTION
NONPLAYER
THE LEGACY OF LUTHER STRODE
AGE OF BRONZE
ALEX + ADA
ALPHA GIRL
ALETHEIA
There's a ton of i've never heard of image titles coming out along with image titles i have & use to collect.

Many of these characters die off, SWORD didn't end happily ever after.
They created TheWalkingDead so you know image isn't afraid of killing off characters.
cheater. you can't reference GOOD comic book titles on this thread (plus, no love for "bitch planet"? awwww)

Jak

i like turtles
Supporter 2014
Meh. If ya don't like it, don't buy it and don't watch the movies. Although if you don't, they'll never make that Black Widow movie. huehuehue
they're never making a black widow movie. i'm almost positive of that. but yeah. i'm also not s sure too many people (outside myself, but i'll never admit to it publicly) read the new thor books. so i'm not sure why this really matters to most people. but it does.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
I get what your saying, and I do what to see more diverse characters being created, but I also think that the person who gets the role should be whoever is best in that role. Just because Bond has always been a white guy doesn't mean he always has to be a white guy. If a black guy auditions for the role, and he completely nails it, like completely understands the character and embodies him really well, then he should get the role. That's true for every role. I don't think skin color should be the defining trait of an actor's performance.
Late to the party on this, but Idris Elba would make a fantastic Bond. If anyone says that dude wouldn't kill it in the role, that person could kindly go away.

Meh. If ya don't like it, don't buy it and don't watch the movies.
I really don't like this argument. When you tell people to just ignore something, it doesn't pose the question for change or progression to get the medium to evolve for the better if needed. Not talking about the thread topic, just in general as I see it a lot around here.

There are issues that need to be addressed. You'd have to be incredibly naive to think entertainment mediums have a great handle on diversity and representation. It just needs to grasp this handle the proper way. Female Thor isn't the proper way, but it definitely represents a problem in this equation. Don't just say "Don't like it? Ignore it." We care about comics. It's why we won't ignore.

Discussing social issues with comics and video games aren't a bad thing. Not to something to avoid either. It just all needs to be done and discussed properly to get the best results.

SORRY FOR DOUBLE POST. DON'T KNOW HOW TO MERGE MY LAST TWO.

Last edited by a moderator:

V

Oldschool DMC fan
Guess you'd also have to be naive to think popular media pays much attention to its audience's personal views. It pays real close attention to the money they fork out, or do not fork out, however.

But hey, I suppose just like with gaming industry, we got us some experts on the subject here.

Jak

i like turtles
Supporter 2014
Maybe Image & Topcow should start putting out movies as they have a highly level of diversity but then again i don't think now would be to good because their movies would draw more attention to their comics & then people would start whining about how too sexy their characters look & every Image/Topcow character would be dulled down so the insecure could feel better about themselves.
i heard that valiant comics and DMG (they helped worked on one of the ironman movies) signed a deal

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/JoshWildingNewsAndReviews/news/?a=116396

so, i guess we could be seeing something from them in the near future. and that gives just a sliver of hope for indie comic book fans who wanna see their favorite books on screen.

Late to the party on this, but Idris Elba would make a fantastic Bond. If anyone says that dude wouldn't kill it in the role, that person could kindly go away.

YAAAAAAAAAS. i believe he was in the running for it next to craig but lost out. but hey, jared leto was up for joker years ago, and now he's cast. cavill was up for superman years ago, and now he's superman. logan lerman and dylan o'brian were in talks for spider-man way back when sony wanted to reboot. and now their names are being tossed around. who knows. i bet that MGM has elba on speed dial and the MOMENT craig says that he's contemplating throwing in the towel...

V

Oldschool DMC fan
Sure, they do sometimes. There's a lot of opinion out there they also don't give a crap about.

That's not my point. My point is, they listen first and foremost to money. If you don't like them screwing with a character because you think it's part of "the feminist agenda", then the easiest and fastest way to kill the abomination is to vote with your wallet. = my point

Unless you mean we should have discourse in the form of a viral tumblr whine. I don't reckon so, because in the end if that happens too often it'll scare off companies from making anything new, or else hardens them to giving even less of a ****.

ArabPikachu

The Norse nouns "Thor" and Mjolnir (the name of Thor's weapon) end with -r (which happens to be a suffix indicating male gender by rule of thumb in Norse language); Taking this into account, it'd be safe to say a comic-book with "Thor" slapped on the title and having it star a female wannabe of Thor is irrational.

V

Oldschool DMC fan
Still nothing wrong with making our voices heard.

Never said there was.

But if you expect that voice to be taken personally into account every single time, and if you think that's a good thing:

It's expensive to pay an artist to work on a book or turn out a cover piece only to have a bunch of whiners get it pulled later. How many times are they gonna wanna do that? Not many. It's financially prohibitive, and the end result: stifles creativity. If you really don't like something, don't buy it. The creators will take a look at what they've done wrong if the sales are poor and try something else.

What a creator/artist makes or outputs is their business. What you choose to spend money on and consume is yours. If everyone starts telling creators what they can and cannot make, they'll start either giving you what they think you won't complain about, then the same people will likely complain they're only getting the same tired crap, that the creator won't take risks, blah blah blah. Or, they won't care anyway.

This is why generally creators/artists/directors don't take massive interest in what their <fans> think. You start doing that and a) you're not a creator anymore, you're pandering; and b) it's a slope.

Exejpgwmv

lol I'm sorry to bring this up again but every time i see the View or Whoopi Goldberg i think about how they reacted to the female THOR like it was something new & special i'm finding it more hilarious they/we never mentioned Thor Girl who already existed & took the female THOR at face value as being a trend setter, the face of gender equality & it's ironic Thor Girl was already there.
k9VddY9.jpg

Thor Girl is an alien who was saved from Thanos by Thor. She transformed herself into a young version of Thor and followed him to Earth.

Thor Girl was created by Dan Jurgens and John Romita Jr. and first appeared in Thor Vol.2 issue 22 in April 2000. Although she first appeared in Thor 22, she did not changed her appearance to Thor Girl until Thor Volume 2 issue 33 (march 2001), which was written by Dan Jurgens and penciled by Stuart Immonen.

Thor Girl ( Tarene)
Arriving on Earth, Tarene joins forces with a reluctant Thor and adventures by his side for a time. In the process, she discovers that her vast cosmic power as the Designate are gone, and she is stuck in her Thor girl form with only her Asgardian powers. She assumes the identity of Tara Olson and attempts to learn about the mortal world. When Asgard is destroyed in the latest cycle of Ragnarok, she registers as a superhero and joins the Initiative.

lol It's wild many parts of the public (mostly non-comic readers) cry for these strong female comic characters & many times they already existed just many never bothered to actually look.

And She would've been perfect to pickup Thor's hammer.

Due to looking like an Asgardianan wielding a hammer, Tarene was believed to be part of the attack of The Worthy. She was arrested by the U. S. government and tortured for information. She was eventually rescued by Cloud 9 and joined the battle against Kuurth in Las Vegas and rescued civilians. Due to a misunderstanding she was attacked by other heroes despite her attempts to explain herself or she was only acting in defense. 'during the battle, Her Designate powers returned. She declared Earth's heroes to be little better than those who tortured her and as a whole proof that humanity is still too flawed to be worthy of ascending. She left Earth for the stars.
She is a pretty obscure hero though.

I doubt even most Marvel fans have ever heard of her.

Lain

Earthbound Immortal
Premium
She is a pretty obscure hero though.

I doubt even most Marvel fans have ever heard of her.
Unfortunately that seems to be the fate of a lot of female heroes. I know casual comic book fans who have never heard of Bat Girl, Spider-Woman, Hawk Girl etc.

It's a bit like Women's Football (soccer). With the right promotion and drive, female heroes could be more popular like the recent mega success of Women's Football.

Top Bottom