• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

DMC4 Dante/Nero Tricks, Hints, Shortcuts

Muh`Sword

*REVVING INTENSIFIES*
DMC 4 is jus eating away my life. I jus finished BP with nero and am choreographing my moves with dante and its an uphill struggle with so many things on the fly and constantly changing styles and weapons. I swear i am gonna go old school with dante gameplay by sticking to basics with rebellion and darkslayer,swordmaster but really makes gilgamesh and lucifer mostly useless. I really am finding it hard to make real-time use of gilgamesh and lucifer cuz i always have to switch to them, ensure right style is on and so much passive thinking in very short time, Urghhhhh, Dante - you're a lot of work.:'(

Gilgamesh is pretty slow and it is only effective for crowd controlling light enemies (aerial volcano) and speed kills on enemies like blitz and frost (Launch +real impact lol)
Lucifer can be used as a defensive weapon by leaving pin ups in the battlefield and detonate whenever someone gets close or when they impale themselves on it.

It really takes time to master dante's arsenal. But it's really worth it once you learned jump cancelling,inertia,double weapon switching on aerial combos etc.

VOLPE

SSStylish Swordsman
DMC 4 is jus eating away my life. I jus finished BP with nero and am choreographing my moves with dante and its an uphill struggle with so many things on the fly and constantly changing styles and weapons. I swear i am gonna go old school with dante gameplay by sticking to basics with rebellion and darkslayer,swordmaster but really makes gilgamesh and lucifer mostly useless. I really am finding it hard to make real-time use of gilgamesh and lucifer cuz i always have to switch to them, ensure right style is on and so much passive thinking in very short time, Urghhhhh, Dante - you're a lot of work.:'(

Honestly i know how you feel with dance and while i get what your saying about real time use for lucifer and gilgamesh but its all about timing..gilgamesh is a great weapon beacuse when you switch into it you can still be offensive with its combo's and then when you have stunned your oppenent you can use real impact dont give up on gilgamesh just yet my friend and lucifer is a great weapon to have when you fighting a stunned boss for extra damage trust me now as for style i set my controls to switch between gunslinger and swordmaster quickly i dont even bother with trickster it lost all the advantage it had in dmc3 for me. it takes practice but hes worth it trust me gilgamesh and rebellion make an epic team i dont even really bother with lucifer anymore set your controls to maximize yourr timing as far as style and weapon switching and i promise itll work out for you

Using DT'd pandora jump attack staggers them too.

the gattling gun? doesnt work as well as it shoudl ive tried it i think omen would work better then anything

aoshi

Any tips on how to handle the fish/sword enemies that "swim" in the ground and do a uppercut slice attack?
I can handle them fine as nero, but they become a real pain in the ass as dante.

The flying swords are easily taken care with yamoto-aerial rave.

Nero : Charge shot level 2 or 3. Level 3 will unearth them.
Dante: Dimension slash(darkslayer). Dimension slash covers a wide area and its your best bet. However, I would also like to try charged volcano(gilgamesh/Swordmaster). When they swim around in vicinity a well-charged volcano can unearth them.Haven't tried this but don't see any reason why it wouldn't work.Also lucifer swordmaster level 3 should also do the trick. But i am yet to try lucifer one and can't guarantee it. I will let you know once i have tried it.

VOLPE

SSStylish Swordsman
Hey, how you doin? Great tips man :D

Gilgamesh is pretty slow and it is only effective for crowd controlling light enemies (aerial volcano) and speed kills on enemies like blitz and frost (Launch +real impact lol)
Lucifer can be used as a defensive weapon by leaving pin ups in the battlefield and detonate whenever someone gets close or when they impale themselves on it.

It really takes time to master dante's arsenal. But it's really worth it once you learned jump cancelling,inertia,double weapon switching on aerial combos etc.

thanks:) ill be making more soon as i go along and yah gilgamesh real impact against frosts is so unfair lmao love it and lucifer for me is only worth it against the scarecrows really

VOLPE

SSStylish Swordsman
Dante: Dimension slash(darkslayer). Dimension slash covers a wide area and its your best bet. However, I would also like to try charged volcano(gilgamesh/Swordmaster). When they swim around in vicinity a well-charged volcano can unearth them.Haven't tried this but don't see any reason why it wouldn't work.Also lucifer swordmaster level 3 should also do the trick. But i am yet to try lucifer one and can't guarantee it. I will let you know once i have tried it.

excellent post i didnt think of the darkslayer demension slash but it should work and the volcano would work if it didnt take time to charge up by that time they have swam away good idea but charge time makes it nearly impossible but the demension slash that would work beautifully thanks:)

VOLPE

SSStylish Swordsman
Demon fish-nero/dante-combatt-aoshi tip-

Give credit where credit is due the demension slash is a great idea for taking care of the demon fish as it covers a wide area and does a good deal of damage just so everyone is aware anyone having trouble with the bianco angelo's with dante should also try the demension slash as it gets past those pesky sheilds and its charge time is quick enough to allow for evasion

ef9dante_oSsshea

Premium
Xen-Omni 2020
[="Muh`Sword, post: 525025, member: 25739"]Gilgamesh is pretty slow and it is only effective for crowd controlling light enemies (aerial volcano) and speed kills on enemies like blitz and frost (Launch +real impact lol)

It really takes time to master dante's arsenal. But it's really worth it once you learned jump cancelling,inertia,double weapon switching on aerial combos etc.[/quote]

Thats a fact master jump canceling star raves inertia guard flying guard canceling buffering and all etc and Dante is a god an absolute god and makes for insane combos

VOLPE

SSStylish Swordsman
Chimera Assualts-combat-Nero/Dante- so these enemies have done nothing but frustrate the living hell out of me with both characters mostly because assaults are bad another but assualts with those blade vines on dmd of hoh are ridiculous so i have some tips so first-Nero it definitely easier to kill most enemies with nero for the beginners and slightly adept the reason for this is his blue rose charge shot x3. with the chimera assualts and nero you again want to keep moving and trying to cripple as many of them as possible together so using the charge shot x3 and using your DT attacks are very helpful remember to switch your DT on and off to conserve energy while still doing wide range damage-tip-avoid using the buster with chimera assaults for too long only smack them around twice anymore then that and the blades will reactivate-play smart with these enemies-NOW with dante your strategy is gunna be a little different-you are going to want to use the shotgun a lot to keep them from grouping on you-your also going to want to use swordmaster and the style button with rebellion selected to spin your sword and hit them into the air then once you have a few of them on there back use your "overdrive attack" and deal out some great damage after that repeat with the shotgun and hitting them into the air-tip-you can attack them in the air with rebellion with swordmaster and the style button but its best not to do that to much as they like to attack you from a distance- so shotgun and hit them in the air and then when youve got a group on there back over drive or quick drive you can also use pandora to deal out some good damage with the first missle launcher. you can also use gilgamesh to do some damage from the sky and rebellion helm splitter as well///////ive also seen that getting them grouped together and using darkslayer demension slash to kniock them on there backs and then overdrive works well to keep them at a distance if your doing a no damage run

Last edited:

ef9dante_oSsshea

Premium
Xen-Omni 2020
Or use royal guard and wreck em or openpandora with a full bar or jc the crap out of em in the air and tank em JC rules

VOLPE

SSStylish Swordsman
Or use royal guard and wreck em or openpandora with a full bar or jc the crap out of em in the air and tank em JC rules

also very good options but remember i made this thread for players who arent as talented in the game

VOLPE

SSStylish Swordsman
ya true I forgot twas for beginners my bad

Lol np bud i know you have an entire armory of advanced moves but this is for those who arent as dedicated but still want to be good so i found and listed a few shortcuts to help out the average player or those who are having trouble with specific enemies for example those bianco's are getting on my nerves on hell or hell im trying to figure out a better way then just charge shot x3 so im thinking of hitting them up and bustering and then charge shot x3 with nero and with dante using demension slash and pandora

VineBigBoss

GGXRD <3
Some general tips that i found useful with Dante vs specific monsters:

Cutlass (the fish monsters):

Some general tips:

- When they start to hang around "underwater" and glowing yellow (meaning they will hit you), don't get stubborn, wait for them to come at you, they generally don't go right after you and sometimes you'll just stay harmless if you don't move too much. Be prepared to evade with dashes or normal star raves
- If more than one of them jump at you at the same time and you don't have confidence to do evade with simple maneuvers, don't be afraid to activate that devil trigger and use two sky stars in a roll to get out from their jump arc, even if you jump a bit soon they'll not catch you at all because you will travel a lot of distance, just don't Sky Star too soon or it will be pointless.
- I generally got an offensive approach when they go to the air, but i think that a safe yet effective way to hit them is to evade and used charged shots from Coyote-A, sometimes you can hit them out of the air with a charged shot, if you get the knockdown make sure you capitalize unless some guys near you are prepared to attack

There's not too much "tricks" in this battle, these monsters can be a pain in the ass if you move around too much or get desperate when evading; always remind that their main attack is slow, focuses on not getting hit instead of dealing damage. This will give you more time to find your own effective way to deal with them.

Chimera'ed enemies (Scarecrow and Assaults):

- Coyote-A can stop that plant from swinging that blade pretty effectively and from an - almost - safe position, charge shots are your friends here too. It's wise to attack them from a distance with rapid drives or round trip. Pandora is good to deal against chimera'ed enemies from a distance, but it's quite hard to use it effectively, so for beginners i think it's better to keep it simple. Ah, don't get too crazy on these guys with your JCs, give priority to attacks that deal good damage quickly, resorting in few hits, and prepare to shut off that blades again.

Assaults:

These monsters can be a real pain if you can't JC properly; because their attacks and movement are quick, this makes them quite deadly and annoying fighting on the ground. I've returned to the game right now, i'll try to keep fighting these guys for a while and see if i can come out with some tricks here. But basically, you will want to break their shields (Royalguard are pretty useful here, but it's kinda tough to get the timing on them), once this happens they're almost helpless as they can juggled into the air easily, even if you are not pretty good with JCs, juggling them gives you space to charge some attack from Gilgamesh, try to distort (see that thread with some techniques, i think the author is @SpawnShooter. It's not a hard technique to use sometimes! You "just" need to press one button with the right timing once you attack) these charged attacks for massive ammounts of damage. I don't recommend using rising dragon on them, it's too slow and you can't cancel out of it.

VOLPE

SSStylish Swordsman
Ive found demension slash works well against the cutlass demons as it has a wide area of attack

VOLPE

SSStylish Swordsman
thanks for the tips post more if you have them beginner dmc4 players need all the help they can get

aoshi

Dante tip for getting open blitz:

Lucifer has very low real-time properties but is a pain in the a$$ to be stuck around it for all time. So here's its best use. We all know blitz will disappear for quite a long time and reappear only for a short time. So best bet is , going by PS 3 Controls, R1 + forward + triangle with lucifer equipped since such attack cannot be blocked by any enemy(yet to test on credo since he blocks everything, so might as well try it on him). Very effective if can get behind blitz cuz he will be stagnant if you are not in his line-of-sight. So spam r1 + forward + triangle. But this is effective in most cases but in BP on higher floors we need time. And there would be angelos around which can make this strat annoying if we keep waiting for blitz to appear physcially.

Instead, Jus spam lucifer blades as above immediately after blitz disappears. Now, use swordmaster level 3 with lucifer equipped. The blades will reposition around you and will detonate on enemy contact. So stand still , blitz will try to attack you in your position. Since blades are in position they will inflict necessary damage. Of course, you would have to roll dodge his attack. The more blades you could summon, More the damage.

There can be a lot of passive strategies with lucifer swordmaster properties which can help real-time use of it. Best property is R1+Forward+triangle cannot be blocked. Best passive weapon against angelos since angelos block everything. Lucifer reminds me of nevan which was also a passive weapon. Vergil can't block nevan attacks or can't stagger dante when attacked with nevan.Except physical attack of nevan ,like swordmaster properties.

EDIT: It also reminds me of vergil's summoned swords.

Last edited:

VOLPE

SSStylish Swordsman
Dante tip for getting open blitz:

Lucifer has very low real-time properties but is a pain in the a$$ to be stuck around it for all time. So here's its best use. We all know blitz will disappear for quite a long time and reappear only for a short time. So best bet is , going by PS 3 Controls, R1 + forward + triangle with lucifer equipped since such attack cannot be blocked by any enemy(yet to test on credo since he blocks everything, so might as well try it on him). Very effective if can get behind blitz cuz he will be stagnant if you are not in his line-of-sight. So spam r1 + forward + triangle. But this is effective in most cases but in BP on higher floors we need time. And there would be angelos around which can make this strat annoying if we keep waiting for blitz to appear physcially.

Instead, Jus spam lucifer blades as above immediately after blitz disappears. Now, use swordmaster level 3 with lucifer equipped. The blades will reposition around you and will detonate on enemy contact. So stand still , blitz will try to attack you in your position. Since blades are in position they will inflict necessary damage. Of course, you would have to roll dodge his attack. The more blades you could summon, More the damage.

There can be a lot of passive strategies with lucifer swordmaster properties which can help real-time use of it. Best property is R1+Forward+triangle cannot be blocked. Best passive weapon against angelos since angelos block everything. Lucifer reminds me of nevan which was also a passive weapon. Vergil can't block nevan attacks or can't stagger dante when attacked with nevan.Except physical attack of nevan ,like swordmaster properties.

EDIT: It also reminds me of vergil's summoned swords.

So when blitz disapears and then reapears under you instead of hitting you hell hit the swords instead which will detonate and drop his sheild after that distorted real impact and overdrive him..i have this issue where i can only get one or two distorted real impacts on him but hell still go red and flk around and i end up with him just blowing up on his own(this is on dmd) how do i ensure that after i have dropped his sheild(which can also be done with pandora forward and style button with lvl3 gunslinger) that i can kill him without him going red and wasting red orbs and my time?

aoshi

So when blitz disapears and then reapears

My suggestion was between the time of disappearing and reappearing. Its quite enough to summon lucifer blades as many. Best bet is spamming r1+forward+triangle. Before he reappears to attack(from top or bottom), Use swordmaster level 3 of lucifer which is to reposition blades around. Now jus wait for him to attack you , and when he does jus roll dodge or trickster away but the blades detonate in your position.

This strategy is similar to chimera-ed assault enemies. They passively attack you when you try attack them at close range using melee weapons.

VOLPE

SSStylish Swordsman
My suggestion was between the time of disappearing and reappearing. Its quite enough to summon lucifer blades as many. Best bet is spamming r1+forward+triangle. Before he reappears to attack(from top or bottom), Use swordmaster level 3 of lucifer which is to reposition blades around. Now jus wait for him to attack you , and when he does jus roll dodge or trickster away but the blades detonate in your position.

This strategy is similar to chimera-ed assault enemies. They passively attack you when you try attack them at close range using melee weapons.

this works for the chimera assaults too?

aoshi

this works for the chimera assaults too?
No dude, I mean , the way chimera assault function.We are jus mimicking the same functionality. Like even though chimera assaults are under attack by dante or nero, they have a passive ability of attacking back with vines kinda thingy.

Its done like in this video:

Last edited:
Top Bottom