• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

DmC: Devil May Cry vs. Devil May Cry... (keep it civil, or else).

Classic Dante v. Rebooted Dante (The Old and the New)

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dante's Stalker

"Outrun this!"
Premium
Supporter 2014
19th for me :p

on topic- I felt DmC was an improvement storywise because it did provide a little more context for these characters and the world they live in so i have a better sense of this series than i did for the old series but they didnt manage to use the new elements to their full potential so they feel more set dressing and the story just feels like a rehash of DMC3.

So its a better story but not by much nor as rememberable or groundbreaking as they make it out to be.
The only improvement storywise is that the dialogue wasn't confined to cheesy one liners 90% of the time. Otherwise it's pretty much as loop-holey as the classic series.
The reason I say this is because:
1.) where was Sparda when the attack happened? This still hasn't been cleared up.
2.) if he was present, why did he let Eva take one for the team? Doesn't that smack of cowardice?
3.) Why is it not stipulated what happened to Vergil? Did Sparda raise Vergil himself? We see Sparda dumping Dante at an orphanage with demons (stupid), nothing about Vergil though. I know, right, that Dante is the MC, but NT gave us more on Kat's history than they did on Vergil's. What the hell is up with that?
4.) How did Sparda get caught? How? HOW? HOW? (I feel like Po)

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
19th for me :p

The only improvement storywise is that the dialogue wasn't confined to cheesy one liners 90% of the time. Otherwise it's pretty much as loop-holey as the classic series.
The reason I say this is because:
1.) where was Sparda when the attack happened? This still hasn't been cleared up.
2.) if he was present, why did he let Eva take one for the team? Doesn't that smack of cowardice?
3.) Why is it not stipulated what happened to Vergil? Did Sparda raise Vergil himself? We see Sparda dumping Dante at an orphanage with demons (stupid), nothing about Vergil though. I know, right, that Dante is the MC, but NT gave us more on Kat's history than they did on Vergil's. What the hell is up with that?
4.) How did Sparda get caught? How? HOW? HOW? (I feel like Po)

1: Sparda was at the house when the attack happened. This was revealed through some subtitles for dialogue that never made it into the game.
2: Eva told Sparda to go with the children and that she would escape by herself to meet up later. Taking one for the team was an accident. This was also revealed in unused dialogue.
3:Vergil was also sent to an orphanage, but he was then raised by wealthy humans and then went on to make a load of money himself with his computer skills. This was revealed in the Vergil comic and in pre release articles.
4: Not sure how Sparda got caught. It has been speculated that he turned himself in to stop Mundus going after Dante.

Dante's Stalker

"Outrun this!"
Premium
Supporter 2014
1: Sparda was at the house when the attack happened. This was revealed through some subtitles for dialogue that never made it into the game.
2: Eva told Sparda to go with the children and that she would escape by herself to meet up later. Taking one for the team was an accident. This was also revealed in unused dialogue.
3:Vergil was also sent to an orphanage, but he was then raised by wealthy humans and then went on to make a load of money himself with his computer skills. This was revealed in the Vergil comic and in pre release articles.
4: Not sure how Sparda got caught. It has been speculated that he turned himself in to stop Mundus going after Dante.

Site source please ^_^
Also, the last point makes no sense considering Mundus still went after Dante, even if it was years later. Sparda had to have known Mundus would go after Dante regardless.

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
Site source please ^_^
Also, the last point makes no sense considering Mundus still went after Dante, even if it was years later. Sparda had to have known Mundus would go after Dante regardless.
Site source for the missing dialogue? It's on here somewhere.
As for Vergil, either check the comic, or
http://www.siliconera.com/2012/08/1...a-gifted-multi-millionaire-that-hates-demons/

This is the same Sprda who had kids with an angel, kowing that they would be killed for it. This Sparda isn't too bright.>_< Even Eva admits that they would be killed for having children...So it could be a logical guess that he turned himself in thinking that he had hidden Dante well enough that Mundus wouldn't look if he offered himself for punishment.

Dante's Stalker

"Outrun this!"
Premium
Supporter 2014
Site source for the missing dialogue? It's on here somewhere.
As for Vergil, either check the comic, or
http://www.siliconera.com/2012/08/1...a-gifted-multi-millionaire-that-hates-demons/

This is the same Sprda who had kids with an angel, kowing that they would be killed for it. This Sparda isn't too bright.>_< Even Eva admits that they would be killed for having children...So it could be a logical guess that he turned himself in thinking that he had hidden Dante well enough that Mundus wouldn't look if he offered himself for punishment.

....yeaaaaahhh...:/ I don't like how they dummy down Sparda.
And Vergil did some really stupid things for a supposed genius. :(

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
....yeaaaaahhh...:/ I don't like how they dummy down Sparda.
And Vergil did some really stupid things for a supposed genius. :(
Just because he's a technological genuis does not mean he's a social one. I've noticed this in real life. Some people who are truly gifted are socially awkward or make some really dumb choices.

A little off topic, but did anyone else notice how Vergil does this thing, kinda like he's stretching his neck, when he looked info up on the computer and just before he took the shot at Lilith. It's kinda like a tic.

Dante's Stalker

"Outrun this!"
Premium
Supporter 2014
Just because he's a technological genuis does not mean he's a social one. I've noticed this in real life. Some people who are truly gifted are socially awkward or make some really dumb choices.

A little off topic, but did anyone else notice how Vergil does this thing, kinda like he's stretching his neck, when he looked info up on the computer and just before he took the shot at Lilith. It's kinda like a tic.

I agree with the socially awkward part, but no. Techy geniuses have more logic than the majority of people who are not as tech savvy. Their brains work a bit different than the rest. There's no excuse for some of the dumb things Vergil had done.

And I noticed that,too. It creeps me out. >_<

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
I agree with the socially awkward part, but no. Techy geniuses have more logic than the majority of people who are not as tech savvy. Their brains work a bit different than the rest. There's no excuse for some of the dumb things Vergil had done.

And I noticed that,too. It creeps me out. >_<
I wasn't excusing Vergil, I was just being anecdotal.
Vergil was...well, being Vergil...totally messed up. It's not just that he's too logical...he learned from an early age that feelings got people killed. He says so in the comic. So he's almost emotionless, with exception to Dante, but again, I'm not sure if he loved Dante because he was the only other Nephilim considering his feelings towards Dante during the Downfall DLC.

I Make The Devils Cry

Oh please, do not talk about the comic... it's well done, but it just feels so out of place with the actual game, and Vergil's Downfall. If there is one aspect of DmC that I would happily say I despise, it's the comic; points for adding more to the story, about Kat and Vergil.... lost all those points for execution, and somewhat screwing with canon, and a love plot point which was like, no :p

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
Yeah, him getting Rebellion while in Hellfire is it's own discrepancy though, since according to the game, he's had it since he was maybe ten or so, depicted in one of those paintings where he's holding the Rage's severed head.

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
Yeah, him getting Rebellion while in Hellfire is it's own discrepancy though, since according to the game, he's had it since he was maybe ten or so, depicted in one of those paintings where he's holding the Rage's severed head.
I thought that was more for artistic purpose...like those concept arts they mentioned making for various stages of Dante's life...or those angels in the image of Dante holding Eva...maybe the image of young Dante and the sword was one of those?:/

Otherwise, that is a pretty big inconsistency.

It's like the past history of Vergil that was only revealed in pre release articles and the comic...the story is unclear in some parts.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
I dunno, they've all been really artistic, but...they've also still depicted parts of his life.

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
I dunno, they've all been really artistic, but...they've also still depicted parts of his life.
I mean maybe that image was some concept art that they wanted to include...and maybe they didn't think about the inconsistency of the sword being there. That's why I was wondering if it was part of that set of concept art they made for different stages of Dante's life.

Actually, didn't they make child Vergil's amulet the wrong colour too in that other piece of art?:/ They really didn't think this through too well...

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
I mean maybe that image was some concept art that they wanted to include...and maybe they didn't think about the inconsistency of the sword being there. That's why I was wondering if it was part of that set of concept art they made for different stages of Dante's life.

*shrug* Who knows? I'd still take the game's consistency over a really crummy comic >.<

Actually, didn't they make child Vergil's amulet the wrong colour too in that other piece of art?:/ They really didn't think this through too well...

In the original conceptual version of it, yeah, but in game, that painting shows him with a blue amulet.

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
*shrug* Who knows? I'd still take the game's consistency over a really crummy comic >_<
I wish the art style had been different for the comic...it was too scribbly looking in the outline department for my taste.

In the original conceptual version of it, yeah, but in game, that painting shows him with a blue amulet.[/quote]
Ohh, my bad. I thought they got it wrong for both.:blush:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom