• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

DmC: Devil May Cry vs. Devil May Cry... (keep it civil, or else).

Classic Dante v. Rebooted Dante (The Old and the New)

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

I Make The Devils Cry

So, recently I decided that I would officially decide on which games I preferred; the original four, or the controversial reboot, and more importantly, which Dante I liked better. After sitting down and playing
Devil May Cry HD Collection, Devil May Cry 4 and DmC: Devil May Cry for a good long part of my week, I finally came to the answer I had been searching for... after some debate, discussion, a nice trip into town for some chips, more heavy thought and a little soul searching, it was finally over.

In the end, I enjoyed DmC: Devil May Cry more, and preferred the Dante from it as well. However, this had me thinking, what would the people of the forums think, and what would they prefer. So, who and what is better ladies and gentlemen?
View attachment 621

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
I like both Dantes equally, but for different reasons.

Classic Dante: he's over the top stlyish, he can be a bit full of himself, easy going attitude, plus he has cool outfits. I like playing as him because he knows who he is, he's confident with his powers and he knows how to really get the bad guys worked up before he fights them.

DmC Dante: Starts off as an uncaring, apathetic jerk who grows into a guy who cares about the world and is just getting to grips with his new powers. He's more relatable to me as I'm not playing a Dante who is stylish from the beginning, who is confident in his powers. This Dante is still getting used to what he is himself, he's still raw, he's still a bit of an asshat so it's like going on a journey with him and watching him change and grow, compared to classic Dante who was just awesome stylish from the very first game.

As for the games, again, I like both classic and rebooted.

Classic DMCs: Established hack and slash genre and showed us stylish action that I find really fun to play. Gave us 4 different interpretations of Dante...some I like more than others.The plots stories weren't so great, but they didn't need to be back then because it was all about gameplay. It also gave us some pretty memorable boss fights that I like replaying every now and again.

DmC: I like the plot, sure, it's not perfect, but I like what they tried to do. It was an improvement on the classics. They showed moments where Dante and Vergil were acting like brothers, put some real emotion into the characters, let them grow and change as they headed towards the inevitable downfall. I even like that they made this Mundus more interesting than the villains of the classic DMC games. Adding that bit with his child dead was interesting. I don't think I've ever come across a villain who is asking the protagonist why they killed their child. And he does it so calmly.:/

I like the combat, but it does need improving, especially the stylish meter being too easy. The bosses felt more like set pieces who were easy to defeat because more time went into how they looked than how they fought.
On the other hand, I really loved the environment and world design. The club had to be my favourite with the way it kept transforming and changing.

MultiBro

Darkest Dungeon
I couldn't get to like new Dante, if he stayed as an asshole through the whole game I might have liked him but he just turned out boring to me.

My favorites will always be DMC3 Dante and DMC4 (aka Uncle Dante) Dante. He may not be the best written character but he's fun to watch with how he deals with some serious situations.

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
I couldn't get to like new Dante, if he stayed as an asshole through the whole game I might have liked him but he just turned out boring to me.

My favorites will always be DMC3 Dante and DMC4 (aka Uncle Dante) Dante. He may not be the best written character but he's fun to watch with how he deals with some serious situations.
'Uncle Dante' just takes things in his stride, has a bit of a joke about it, deals with it, then goes back to easting pizza:p Pretty good way to deal with things if I do say so myself.

As for DmC Dante, I'm not sure I would have liked him to be an asshole all the way to the end of the game. It would have made everything that happened to him meaningless. Everything that went on in the game was to make Dante change into a more serious guy who cared about what happened to the humans. If he was still asshole Dante, he wouldn't have cared or given a damn what happened, just like the beginning of the game.

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
It's a tough choice between DMC1, DMC3, and DmC.

But ultimately, I'd choose DmC simply it did things a bit better then the others. It had superior environment, a better structured story, more emotions in the characters, a more interesting antagonist, suspense, its edginess, and a better, more cooler Dante. He didn't care about looks or how cool he looked. He only cared about killing demons and saving humanity as the story went on.

MultiBro

Darkest Dungeon
As for DmC Dante, I'm not sure I would have liked him to be an asshole all the way to the end of the game. It would have made everything that happened to him meaningless. Everything that went on in the game was to make Dante change into a more serious guy who cared about what happened to the humans. If he was still asshole Dante, he wouldn't have cared or given a damn what happened, just like the beginning of the game.
I may have simplified what I meant so here is what I think in detail.

At the start of DmC, Dante shows some personality by having snarky attitude. Later on, he shows not much of a personality when he starts to know Kat more and from what I saw, all they did was sharing their troubled past. There isn't much from him there other than showing concern for Kat when Mundus kidnaps her. Nothing really shows when he suddenly cares for humans. There is no logical switch for him to do that. He's just concerned about Kat like any normal human being would be for some they cared. He becomes a everyday Joe which is why I found him boring. I would have liked that he retained still how the stuff he showed earlier in the game to make him atleast more interesting.

Just my two cents.

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall

At the start of DmC, Dante shows some personality by having snarky attitude. Later on, he shows not much of a personality when he starts to know Kat more and from what I saw, all they did was sharing their troubled past. There isn't much from him there other than showing concern for Kat when Mundus kidnaps her. Nothing really shows when he suddenly cares for humans. There is no logical switch for him to do that. He's just concerned about Kat like any normal human being would be for some they cared. He becomes a everyday Joe which is why I found him boring. I would have liked that he retained still how the stuff he showed earlier in the game to make him atleast more interesting.

Just my two cents.

You know when you say it like that, I did notice that. After he found out about Kat's past, his cockiness went down considerably. Like yeah he said a line of cockiness every now and then, but for the rest of the game, he was mostly serious but not extremely serious.

Loopy

Devil hunter in training

Just my two cents.
I see what you mean now. It is like he mellowed out after being with Kat for a while.
I guess sharing their past stories was enough for Dante to open up. Kat was probably the first person who just wanted to talk to him instead of be a demon in disguise out to kill him. For Dante, that would have been a big thing, so it was natural for him to get upset when she was beaten up in front of him and then held hostage. Though why his care of Kat suddenly extends to all humans by the end is a bit odd, you're right about that. I can't really think of a reason why he would make that connection.:/

Winterfrost

Shadow-of-Sundered-Star
I voted for all, because I can.
DMC Dante for funny-anime type personality.
DmC Dante for being more human, although being..well not human.

I wish I could say more, but honestly...I need some sleep..or more coffee.

Zey

I came here to laugh at you.
If DmC Dante tried to be his own character maybe I would liked him better, that does include his black hair and some things that were showed in the original trailer that didn't get in the final game. In the end, I couldn't find him interesting, neither entertaining because I just could see DMC3 Dante with more swearing and less charm. The original one wasn't really well written (neither the new one), but he had the charm that the new doesn't.

About the games, I would put the original series above almost every aspect, but the reboot is clearly ahead in terms of art and visuals. In the end, the one with better gameplay wins for me since that's the main point of this games and so I choose the original series.

"Keep it civil"? I don't think that's going to be easy in a few pages...

EnJ

Shade
I voted for original DMC. I like hack'n'slash genre, and DMC was actually a "face" of genre.

PS This is topic would suits better for Devil May Cry General Discussion - forum

Britt690

Gabriel Reyes needs to eat me.
Does my signature and avatar need further explanation? lol

Anyway, I REALLY wanted to like DmC, but as a whole it came off kinda half-baked. When it comes to gameplay the original(s) win for me all the way. I dunno, maybe if the environments [of DmC] actually attacked you instead of only the demons, then this game would have had much more gusto for me. I think if they kept Dante more of the "I-hate-the-world" type of character in the beginning and really dug into his gritty nature, I wouldn't have much of a mind to it. And I don't know if the style of DmC was to be a mixture of urban pop and punk or just...bright? The designs of the game were nice, though.

And I just like the whole history/charm/attitude/goofball/a**hole-ness tendencies of the guy who looks like he skinned 3 cows, 2 crocodiles and a snake for his outfit. :p...and his snobbish brother.

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
DmC: Better environments and art.
DMCs: More likable and better designed Dante. If Dante is not likable, then I don't care about him going through changes only to become slightly less obnoxious.
DmC: Arguably a better plot.
DMCs: Superior gameplay (that is, considering the latest DMCs, not DMC1 or DMC2).
DMCs: This is purely subjective, but I liked their soundtracks more.
DMCs: better graphics/physics engine for a hack and slash game.
DMCs: faster and more varied combos, it seems.

For me, the DMCs win. A part of that is also that I just like the overall vibe more, and that DMC has a less annoying and hackneyed world and characters to me. This line is obviously just my opinion, and I will not deprecate yours. The DmC characters having 'more emotion' seems like an odd statement to me. More obvious emotions, possibly, but I loved how DMC3/DMC4 could be subtle, like with Vergil in DMC3, who is obviously very emotional, but shows it by use of words and word intonation rather than body language.
Anyway, I'd also appreciate it if nobody reacted aggressively to or deprecated my opinion.

Pale Rider

Wickedly good
I'd go with DMCs. DMCs got much better gameplay, more likeable Dante (opinion), and simply because I find hearing this,

"First I whip it out. Then I thrust it. With
great force! Every angle..! It penetrates!
Until..! With great strength! I.. ram it in! In
the end, we are all satisfied, and you are
set free."

much much more amusing than,

"F.UCK you!"

Jak

i like turtles
Supporter 2014
DMC dante is just an annoying creep to me (DMC3 and 4). i can't stand him. DmC dante is much more of a person you can just have a beer with and hang out. DMC dante i would probably choke out. but thats just me.

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
DMC dante is just an annoying creep to me (DMC3 and 4). i can't stand him. DmC dante is much more of a person you can just have a beer with and hang out.

Until he uppercuts you, steals the beer, and then takes the check and writes "F*CK YOU!" on it then throws it on you leaving you with it since he has no money since well he is poor...better yet homeless.

Plus I don't associate myself with the homeless. *pulls out handkerchief* Rotten plebeians. I'm a goddamn Squirtle.

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
Until he uppercuts you, steals the beer, and then takes the check and writes "F*CK YOU!" on it then throws it on you leaving you with it since he has no money since well he is poor...better yet homeless.

Plus I don't associate myself with the homeless. *pulls out handkerchief* Rotten plebeians. I'm a goddamn Squirtle.
And if you're a lady having a beer, he will lure you back to his trailer for a night of pizza, booze and...stuff. And in the morning you will be woken up by a huge demon smashing the trailer...I'd also advise getting checked for STI afterwards.:troll:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom