• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

DmC Devil May Cry -Stairway to Heaven-

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
Shin Megami Tensei and to an extent Final Fantasy usually do mythos justice. Although FF has been around for so long that most of it has become so stylized or gone through so many iterations >.< Shiva was really the only one that never quite made much sense.

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
Well... kind of have to disagree there. Yes, they "do it justice", but the mythos are usually only mentioned... in passing, more or less.

I know they go way deeper than that, especially in the case with Izanagi & Izanami in P4, but bear with me here.

Shadow Man, imho, really goes into its voodoo mythos, from the level design (the temples for example, are phenomenal imo), to the mechanics of the game itself.

For example, in SM, you had to collect certain items to give to the Loa in order to increase your health. In P4 Golden, the Loa are just another persona to be used.

Legion is the main villain in SM, controlling everything behind the scenes, and even using the hero's brother against him. In P4, he's (you guessed it) a persona. The persona model even looks more or less the same as the Castlevania: Circle of the Moon version (purple with a lot of faces attached to a spherical-like shape with tendrils).

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
*shrug* Since most Persona aren't used in a narrative capacity, I suppose I put more emphasis on them depicting them close to how they were in their mythos.

In the book I'm writing right now, it's an alternate modern fantasy take on our reality, where most mythos is real. There are embellishments of course, but that's because I'm unifying most things under one larger theological umbrella, but things like locations of monsters and supernatural entities is analogous to their regions where the myths originated :p

EllDawn

Final Fantasy 8 kind of made me mad with what they did with Odin. I was never really into Norse mythology (though I'm giving it more of a chance now) but I didn't appreciate seeing Seifer kill him with one blow and then have him replaced by someone that was more likely to be of no help. At least that was my experience with Gilgamesh.

And don't worry Unknown. I'll be sure to say something nice to balance it out. Once I can think of something.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
Yeah, although it was mostly just weird that anyone got to do the Zantetsuken Reversal >.< Being replaced by Gilgamesh was...funny, to me. Mostly because I knew I couldn't depend on Odin/Gilgamesh for something anyway, so it always remained a surprise whenever either of them had shown up in the game :p

EllDawn

Yeah, although it was mostly just weird that anyone got to do the Zantetsuken Reversal >.< Being replaced by Gilgamesh was...funny, to me. Mostly because I knew I couldn't depend on Odin/Gilgamesh for something anyway, so it always remained a surprise wheneverheroes.er of them had shown up in the game :p
I loved Odin. He always showed up when I needed him most. Gilgamesh was never as reliable to me. I agree that it's weird any character could reverse zantetsuken. Seifer was my favorite from that game, but they didn't seem to have thought it through when they gave him the power to kill Odin and not Gilgamesh or the heroes.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
I loved Odin, too. I think VIII was one of his best designs (VIII was good for a LOT of its summon designs, to me, actually). The only saving grace with Gilgamesh was that he could show up mid-boss fight :p

EllDawn

I never saw Odin in 7. I'll have to play that again sometime. Gilgamesh didn't show up much for me. It's almost like the snow fly forest battle where Sydney is supposed to help Riot. My brother would try going through the fight for me (I was terrible with the game) and Sydney wouldn't do much to help him. I'd play and Sydney was always trying to help. He cast spells more often for me. Odin showed up more often for me than he was probably meant to. Gilgamesh just seemed like a waste of time.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
I never saw Odin in 7. I'll have to play that again sometime.

I meant 8 (VIII) :x But he was pretty cool in 7 too.

Gilgamesh didn't show up much for me. It's almost like the snow fly forest battle where Sydney is supposed to help Riot. My brother would try going through the fight for me (I was terrible with the game) and Sydney wouldn't do much to help him. I'd play and Sydney was always trying to help. He cast spells more often for me. Odin showed up more often for me than he was probably meant to. Gilgamesh just seemed like a waste of time.

I usually forgot that I had Gilgamesh until he showed up when I first played the game.

And another Vagrant Story fan?! <3

I actually attacked the sh!t out of Sydney the first time I got to that battle. True story. then he started attacking the Grissom and I was like "OH!...oooooh...whoops."

EllDawn

I meant 8 (VIII) :x But he was pretty cool in 7 too.

I usually forgot that I had Gilgamesh until he showed up when I first played the game.

And another Vagrant Story fan?! <3

I actually attacked the sh!t out of Sydney the first time I got to that battle. True story. then he started attacking the Grissom and I was like "OH!...oooooh...whoops."
Yeah. I love VS. It's my favorite game.

I thought you were supposed to fight Sydney, too. I wasn't looking forward to it. And then I read he was there to help. I became more protective of him than not.

EllDawn

Thanks to me being able to borrow a family member's computer, I read the first chapter of your DmC fan-fiction and the preview/sample, whatever you want to call it. I have a small headache, so thinking isn't working out too well for me at the moment.

Anyway, they were both pretty good. I had to laugh at a few of the things Dante said. His devil trigger sounded interesting. I'm really looking forward to reading more. I think I especially liked the fact that it sounded like he was able to manipulate malice (I hope I'm getting the right word) for his devil trigger.

As for the other I've decided that I really like Mar'la. I tend to like villains anyway, and that's what she seems to be so far. I hope I can read the whole book someday.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
Anyway, they were both pretty good. I had to laugh at a few of the things Dante said. His devil trigger sounded interesting. I'm really looking forward to reading more. I think I especially liked the fact that it sounded like he was able to manipulate malice (I hope I'm getting the right word) for his devil trigger.

Yeah, that was always the intention of Dante's Devil Trigger in the game, was him controlling the Malice to mess with Limbo. Now that Limbo is technically gone in my story, the demon's own Malice is what empowers them. Such is also the case for Dante.

I still always chuckle when I read or think about the "Ah, it got in my mouth," line.

As for the other I've decided that I really like Mar'la. I tend to like villains anyway, and that's what she seems to be so far. I hope I can read the whole book someday.

Heh, yeah...Mar'Ia is a trip. The theme of the entire overarching story is that of love and the loss of it. Each character, or at least the Royal Hearts, represents the feelings people have when a relationship with a loved one ends. In this case, Mar'Ia is the scorned lover who wishes nothing but unhappiness. She's even got a very choice line...

Mar'Ia said:
“I want them to suffer. I want them to regret any action they take. I want them to meet with resentment and disrespect wherever they go; piercing, judgmental eyes that constantly make them aware of the mistakes they made. I want them to know that they can never retrieve what they used to have. I want them to cry out as their worlds shatter around them, and in doing so realize it’s all. Their. Fault!”

If you noticed, she took Liana's pistol when she left, which is something she does for all the former Royal Hearts she kills, and each agent had their own unique pistol. In some concept stuff I have, Mar'Ia's belt is filled with those pistols. It's similar to a concept I remembered hearing about with Samurai, how they would take the tanto of the opponent they killed as a trophy, but also as a form of respect. The Royal Hearts use their larger pistol and their smaller pistol in a fashion similar to samurai does their katana and tanto, and their code of conduct is also somewhat similar to the Bushido.

Sorry 'bout that :x It's not often I get to talk about that one >_<

Thank you very much for the kind words n.n

EllDawn

TWOxACROSSfavorite 507847 said:
Yeah, that was always the intention of Dante's Devil Trigger in the game, was him controlling the Malice to mess with Limbo. Now that Limbo is technically gone in my story, the demon's own Malice is what empowers them. Such is also the case for Dante.

I still always chuckle when I read or think about the "Ah, it got in my mouth," line.

Heh, yeah...Mar'Ia is a trip. The theme of the entire overarching story is that of love and the loss of it. Each character, or at least the Royal Hearts, represents the feelings people have when a relationship with a loved one ends. In this case, Mar'Ia is the scorned lover who wishes nothing but unhappiness. She's even got a very choice line...

If you noticed, she took Liana's pistol when she left, which is something she does for all the former Royal Hearts she kills, and each agent had their own unique pistol. In some concept stuff I have, Mar'Ia's belt is filled with those pistols. It's similar to a concept I remembered hearing about with Samurai, how they would take the tanto of the opponent they killed as a trophy, but also as a form of respect. The Royal Hearts use their larger pistol and their smaller pistol in a fashion similar to samurai does their katana and tanto, and their code of conduct is also somewhat similar to the Bushido.

Sorry 'bout that :x It's not often I get to talk about that one >_<

Thank you very much for the kind words n.n
Yeah, that was my favorite part. I love Dante, but the vision of him getting malice in his mouth is just priceless.

I think you just helped me realize why I like Mar'la. I can kind of relate.

She said some other things that I thought said a lot about her character. I can't remember any at the moment. I'm working on a fanfic that has absorbed my mind.

I did notice she took Liana's pistol. My first thought was a souvenir like serial killers will do. I had no idea it was done by Samurais.

You're welcome. I really enjoyed reading your work.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
Small sneak peek, I guess! Keep in mind that this is a rather rough draft, and some or all of what I put here could get changed, possibly in a drastic way :x Either way, enjoy!

------------​

______“Some light reading?” Kat asked, noting the large file underneath the officer’s arm, pinched at the side of her torso.
______“You could say that,” Portinari said, opening and leafing through the hefty file. “This is everything I’ve been able to find regarding the incident from six months ago.”
______“Oh man, I bet there’s lots of great bullsh!t in there,” Dante said sourly, continuing to eat his pizza.
______“Some accident reports, missing person cases, and one very particular personal record…” Portinari said, glancing at Dante at the end of her sentence.
______“Sweet…” Dante muttered as he stopped chewing, a mouth still full of faux-Italian cuisine.
______“Dante hasn’t done anything wrong,” Kat reflexively defended.
______“Lately,” Dante quipped.
______“Not helping, Dante,” Kat snapped.
______“Lapis Manalis Asylum for the Betterment of Psychiatric Health; Young Offenders Rehabilitation Program: Subject number 644-32B…” Portinari read.
______Dante’s heart beat jumped, pounding faster. He could hear a gruff voice, deep in his soul.
______“Day 1 - Subject was brought in late last night in Limbo City Police custody. Having been charged with assault, but unwilling to cooperate with police, the subject was sent to our facility for psychological evaluation to see if he is fit to stand trial in a juvenile court. Subject has been silent, refusing to answer questions or participate in discussions with staff and patients,” Portinari continued.
______The voice inside him continued, despite Dante’s response of silence.
______“Day 4 - Subject has become increasingly erratic over the past few days, instigating fist fights with orderlies. For his own safety, and that of the staff, subject has been confined to an isolated room, and is under constant surveillance by video.” Portinari recited lines from the file as she began to pace in front of the desk.
______Dante’s heartbeat was like a machine gun, and the deafening voice unrelentingly demanded an answer to its question. He could feel a sinking sensation as an unbridled anger welled up inside, flowing like lava through his veins.
______“Day 10 - Subject continues to become aggressive, particularly to selective staff members, as if he carries a personal grudge against them. Subject has begun refusing to eat.”
______What. Is. Your. Name? The voice asked, booming in Dante’s mind.
______“What the f#ck is your point?” Dante asked angrily, interrupting both Portinari and the voice scratching inside his skull like a dull, rusted knife.
______Kat looked back, wanting to calm her friend, but relenting for a moment when she saw his eyes burning red like brimstone. Portinari didn’t quite notice, with her pacing back and forth while reading the file.

EllDawn

You did something I wish they had done in the game. You included his time in the facilities. Thank you. Now I'm going to be even more eager for this chapter.

Top Bottom