• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Devil May Cry Producer Wants Dante to be Middle-Aged Hero on an Indiana Jones Adventure

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
Well Dragon, just because Bayonetta is even more unbelievable, doesn't make DMC more believable than it actually is, you know.
Comparisons are often tricky.

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
I don't really see monk like suits and this is modern Milan.
But you know what IS in Milan?
1307552241-milan.jpg

That gothic castle out the window.
And what's IN these gothic castles and who walks out on the streets?
the-priest-venice-italy+1152_12904084148-tpfil02aw-30311.jpg

stock-photo-three-people-are-dressed-for-the-carnival-in-venice-italy-2509609.jpg

assacreed_02.jpg

These scholars were based on actual scholars back in the realistic times back then in Jerusalem. They were holy men who praied while roaming the streets. Notice the hoods. I was off with italy.
I rest my case.
This discssion is done.

Well Dragon, just because Bayonetta is even more unbelievable, doesn't make DMC more believable than it actually is, you know.
Comparisons are often tricky.
Wanna know what else is tricky?
Deciding whether this discssion was birthed from sarcasm or seriousness? I'll let you decide. :thumbsup:

Veloran

I'm not really sure what the argument is here. The difference between DmC and DMC is much less about unrealism and realism, but more a matter of tone.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
I don't know from ur part, but I was serious.
DMC's world mixes some elements of course taken from our real world to create an unbelievable and clearly fictional universe, also using all those elements of over-the-topness and fantasy/sci-fi ( in 4) which make it even more unbelievable and disconnected from actual reality, rendering it all but a faithful or "semi-faithful" depiction of our world, unlike DmC, whose purpose is to resemble our world to add that social complaint element.

Veloran

I don't know from ur part, but I was serious.
DMC's world mixes some elements of course taken from our real world to create an unbelievable and clearly fictional universe, also using all those elements of over-the-topness and fantasy/sci-fi ( in 4) which make it even more unbelievable and disconnected from actual reality, rendering it all but a faithful or "semi-faithful" depiction of our world, like DmC.
I don't know if that's true. The DMC universe is effectively just Earth, but Demons. You could also say the same thing about Bayonetta.

If anything, an argument could be made that DmC is a bit more fantastical. Rather than the Demons having been sealed away long ago, they actively rule the world and twist it in their own image.

At the very least, Fortuna is a much more down to Earth environment than Limbo City.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
At the very least, Fortuna is a much more down to Earth environment than Limbo City.

No. Fortuna is more down to Earth than Limbo. Not Limbo City.
The City itself, how it is presented to us, looks just like a normal city. It's got slums, it's got a dock, it's got an industrial district, it's got a Luna Park and so on. And all of these things look just like their real counterparts. The only thing that is not very believable is maybe Mundus's tower, pretty fancy looking.
They needed this resemblance to our world to insert the social complaint theme in the game.

In DMC4, Fortuna City does have some things taken from reality as well, very Reinassance-like, but they mix them with other things that have nothing to do with that, like for example modern guns and even a sci-fi-like facility.
Add the super over the topness theme to that and you got a game that doesn't match reality in neither settings, contexts and tone.

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
The argument could just be less about DmC. And by less I mean not at all.

DmC doesn't need to be brought up here.

@DragonMaster2010: No need for a sarcastic confrontational post.

Veloran

No. Fortuna is more down to Earth than Limbo. Not Limbo City.
The City itself, how it is presented to us, looks just like a normal city. It's got slums, it's got a dock, it's got an industrial district, it's got a Luna Park and so on. And all of these things look just like their real counterparts. The only thing that is not very believable is maybe Mundus's tower, pretty fancy looking.
They needed this resemblance to our world to insert the social complaint theme in the game.

In DMC4, Fortuna City does have some things taken from reality as well, very Reinassance-like, but they mix them with other things that have nothing to do with that, like for example modern guns and even a sci-fi-like facility.
Add the super over the topness theme to that and you got a game that doesn't match reality in neither settings, contexts and tone.
Maybe the city itself was pretty "normal", but the tower really threw everything off for me. It's just an incredibly weird architectural oddity that clashed with all it's surroundings. The Raptor News Tower also seemed really out of place.

As for Fortuna, it seemed pretty normal to me. They could have said it was modern-day Rome or Florence and it would be a solid fit. All the techno-magic stuff the Order was dabbling in was hidden, miles away, in an underground facility.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
All the techno-magic stuff the Order was dabbling in was hidden, miles away, in an underground facility.

But it's still there. It's still part of the world. And characters use weaponry that has nothing to do with the historical period they drew inspiration from.
Don't get me wrong, I love this combination, but it's not real at all.

Limbo City, aside from Mundus's tower, looks just like a normal modern city from our world. And in DmC, the demon stuff is hidden even deeper than in DMC4, since it's located in a different dimension entirely.

Veloran

But it's still there. It's still part of the world. And characters use weaponry that has nothing to do with the historical period they drew inspiration from.
Don't get me wrong, I love this combination, but it's not real at all.

Limbo City, aside from Mundus's tower, looks just like a normal modern city from our world. And in DmC, the demon stuff is hidden even deeper than in DMC4, since it's located in a different dimension entirely.
What? But... The game doesn't take place in a historical setting. It takes place in and around a city that has old architecture, and the Order used swords and lances because they're a crazy cult.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
It takes place in and around a city that has old architecture, and the Order used swords and lances because they're a crazy cult.

Swords and lances that function like a motorbike... Hm.
Anyway, when it comes to matching our world, in no way I think of DMC. It screams "clear Japanese fiction" from every scene.

Different is the case with DmC. It's still got fantastic and over the top elements, but the context and world in general are more believable and closer to ours.

Veloran

Swords and lances that function like a motorbike... Hm.
Anyway, when it comes to matching our world, in no way I think of DMC. It screams "clear Japanese fiction" from every scene.

Different is the case with DmC. It's still got fantastic and over the top elements, but the context and world in general are more believable and closer to ours.
Gotta fight those Demons somehow.

And I think I'd disagree. The world of DMC felt more real to me (At the very least because you actually spent time in it outside of cutscenes), and I've always enjoyed how it doesn't really date itself.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
Gotta fight those Demons somehow.

And I think I'd disagree. The world of DMC felt more real to me (At the very least because you actually spent time in it outside of cutscenes), and I've always enjoyed how it doesn't really date itself.

*offers hand shake*
Alright then, let's end this before we go in a circle.

XD besides, I only made this reality/non -reality point to explain why I like oDante more than nDante. And then the focus completely moved LOL

But it was an interesting discussion, cheers man!

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
On the idea itself I'd be ok with it being how they were using Classic Dante since he was already going in the direction with 4 and the anime.

Gel

When the going gets tough, the tough get going
Premium
Fortuna City is basically a version of Vatican City, so "old fashioned clothes" are a common sight, not a rarity.
Just take a look at Swiss Guard:
94133-004-7C39F857.jpg

Last edited:

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
Fortuna City is basically a version of Vatican City, so "old fashioned clothes" are a common sight, not a rarity.
Just take a look at Swiss Guard:
94133-004-7C39F857.jpg

Yeah Swiss Guard, sure. But normal citizens don't dress like that.

Gel

Premium
Sure, but the people related to Vatican hierarchy do. As far as we know the people we see in Fortune could perfectly be religious laity and not "common people" per see

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
Sure, but the people related to Vatican hierarchy do. As far as we know the people we see in Fortune could perfectly be religious laity and not "common people" per see

What do you mean? Laymen are common people.
Belonging to laity means that you're a follower of a religion, you believe in it, but don't belong to its actual hierarchy. For example, in Christianity, it means that u believe in that religion, but you're no priest, Bishop, Cardinal etc.

Belonging to laity does not exclude being a commoner xD

Gel

Premium
I know, but in some religious communities, there are "commoners" who use similar clothes to their monks clothes or similar symbols, just like the scapulars.
Maybe in Fortuna City, at the time Dante shows up, they were dressed with their Sunday's clothes or whatever.
Anyway in DMC, while apparently happens in modern times, there is always an old fashioned atmosphere.

Top Bottom