• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Devil May Cry Producer Wants Dante to be Middle-Aged Hero on an Indiana Jones Adventure

absolitude

the devil is not as black as he painted
dante was and always a cool guy, in ANY of the series, he had always maintain that coolness..

He can be noisy, extroverted --which is characters i hated most from a person, but i could still see the cool in them..

He could almost not talk at all, which is significantly cool, even cold.. nothing cooler than that.

He could shed tears, and i still see him as cool..

He could say **** you, and **** you, and **** you, and still i see him as cool, especially physically in his case..

And he could be on an indiana jones type of adventure, being 40-ish and calm and wiser, well hubba, that kind of character dont sound cool for you?

what's not cool is the time jumping, and kept on arguing for something called preferences and tastes, there'd be no end to this.. it'll be like talking to a wall orgy, and nobody talks to a wall..

so, i'm not really following that short interview/article, what was it about? and how did the talk on the dante 40-ish idea came about? and where was it going? DMC or DmC?

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
This is how this story started:

Basically Jimenez was just answering a curiosity question of HipHopGamer, you know, nothing serious, really. I think we need to calm down about this all Indiana Jones thing, the guy was just screwing around.

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
Instead, I got no problems with oDante, cause his personality is not related to anything real, he's entirely fictional (I know this makes him unappealing for somebody, it just doesn't for me) and therefore free from the... how to say... "limits" of a character based on a real stereotype.
Actually if you go to Japan and hang out with most of the delinquents there, they fit DMC3 Dante's character to a T. The only difference is the whole "fighting demons" aspect.
Ask for DMC4, his character is more so like those older men who try to show off a lot and say lines to sound cool. I know this because I had a teacher who would do just that literally everyday and it annoyed the ever living **** out of me...
...maybe this is where my dislike for DMC4 Dante steams.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
Actually if you go to Japan and hang out with most of the delinquents there, they fit DMC3 Dante's character to a T.

Bah I find that really really hard to believe man. But only one way to find out I guess... I'll buy a plane ticket.

But anyway, I also meant the entire atmosphere of DMC's world. It's so clearly not meant to match reality, I'm free from the feelings I have towards real things. oDante fits that mood of "unreality" so I got no problems with it.

At the end of the day, it's all subjective to people's likings, so we can discuss about stuff like this forever, but there would be no point...

Last edited:

absolitude

the devil is not as black as he painted
This is how this story started:

Basically Jimenez was just answering a curiosity question of HipHopGamer, you know, nothing serious, really. I think we need to calm down about this all Indiana Jones thing, the guy was just screwing around.

he really knows how to screw around.. *trillion stab sent on his way

berto

I Saw the Devil
Don't get me wrong, I'd be fine with an older Dante, but the "Indiana Jones" adventure is sorta silly. Granted, it sorta depends on what "Indiana Jones adventure" is even s'posed to mean, though. I guess traveling the globe for relics? Chasing a mystery.

The more I think about it, it could work. The idea of grand adventure for a relic/mystery could work rather well for a DMC, if the mystery is something good. The only thing that really matters is that the gameplay hold up, right?
cf1.jpg
Oh... I see... That's a good point. I thought they were talking age only but globetrotting and ancient ruins might be what they're talking about, too. I don't know how to feel about that...

Last edited:

DragonMaster2010

But anyway, I also meant the entire atmosphere of DMC's world. It's so clearly not meant to match reality, I'm free from the feelings I have towards real things. oDante fits that mood of "unreality" so I got no problems with it.
Dante works a dead end job that he barely gets paid for, wants nothing more to do then drink and eat pizza, and is barely keeping the lights on in his house as is.
Sounds pretty reality related to me. The only thing that doesn't keep it in reality is the demons.

WolfOD64

That Guy Who Hates Fox McCloud
Devil May Noir

"It was a cold night...As cold as my pizza..."
I would love a DMC spin-off of some kind---anime, game mode, whatever---in the style of a noir. I kind of got that vibe in the beginning of DMC1, where Trish enters the human world, and tracks Dante's office down to a dingy avenue dotted with flickering lamp-lights. It had a noirish feel to it.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
Dante works a dead end job that he barely gets paid for, wants nothing more to do then drink and eat pizza, and is barely keeping the lights on in his house as is.
Sounds pretty reality related to me. The only thing that doesn't keep it in reality is the demons.

LOL sure. When I play DMC, I can't do nothing but think of how similar it is to our world. Come on now. The feeling of the original DMC world is not at all that one of a realistic depiction of the reality we live in. It's too clearly anime inspired now, with its super over the top characters and unrealistic settings, situations and contexts.

DmC is what you are talking about. There, the world is clearly a much more realistic depiction of ours, and the only differences are the angels and demons thing. There's even an England flag on Dante's coat, which from my point of view, increases the sense of connection to our reality. And of course, there's a background of social complaint, "They Live" style.
So THAT is way more reality based than DMC. It's the direction they wanted to go with the reboot.

Last edited:

DragonMaster2010

LOL sure. When I play DMC, I can't do nothing but think of how similar it is to our world.
Barely making ends meat, forced to eat junk food, getting screwed out of the money you worked for, trying to meet a woman who isn't going to hurt you; I don't know, that's pretty close to reality.

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
Barely making ends meat, forced to eat junk food, getting screwed out of the money you worked for, trying to meet a woman who isn't going to hurt you; I don't know, that's pretty close to reality.
Seriously? Barely anything from what you've said is in game stuff. Mostly down-to-earth stuff was DMC2 with it's modern military vehicles and evil corporation. Rest was pure fantasy world. Do you see people dressing up like in Fortuna City? Or running around with RL on the shoulder? Or maybe you can see giant gothic castle from your window? Next time I expect to hear that God Hand is believable and realistic and Okami represents real feudal Japan history :facepalm:

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium

Too bad the general anime and over the top mood doesn't really match reality.
Yours seems a pretty weak argument to me. Of course something HAS to be drawn from reality, it's always like that. However, it's HOW you present that something to the audience that makes a difference.
DMC's situations, contexts, over-the-topness, general tone and mood are not realistic at all. Come on.

DmC on the other hand, even though featuring some degree of over-the-topness (it's still a Devil May Cry game), shows a world and context that's A LOT more believable than the previous installments of the franchise.

DragonMaster2010

Seriously? Barely anything from what you've said is in game stuff. Mostly down-to-earth stuff was DMC2 with it's modern military vehicles and evil corporation. Rest was pure fantasy world. Do you see people dressing up like in Fortuna City? Or running around with RL on the shoulder? Or maybe you can see giant gothic castle from your window? Next time I expect to hear that God Hand is believable and realistic and Okami represents real feudal Japan history :facepalm:
technically Okami is more similar to the art and stories told from feudal Japan, so it is. Never played God Hand but something's probably there too.
As for Fortuna City, their clothes were more or less bassed on Italy clothes back then, which is indeed propped in realism. And gothic castles do exsist in our world. Go to Venice. Go to Europe, Go to Notre Dome.
Of course something HAS to be drawn from reality, it's always like that. However, it's HOW you present that something to the audience that makes a difference.
DMC's situations, contexts, over-the-topness, general tone and mood are not realistic at all.
Compared to Bayonetta's brand of unrealistic standards, I just don't see DMC as anything but close to realism along with DmC.

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
technically Okami is more similar to the art and stories told from feudal Japan, so it is. Never played God Hand but something's probably there too.
As for Fortuna City, their clothes were more or less bassed on Italy clothes back then, which is indeed propped in realism. And gothic castles do exsist in our world. Go to Venice. Go to Europe, Go to Notre Dome.
Dude. I'm sorry, but Okami is based on Japan's fairy tales. Literally.
Back when? couple of hundreds years ago? because on this photo:
30128612-MILAN-ITALY-JULY-16-Business-people-take-part-in-a-flash-mob-to-promote-the-official-launch-of-The-W-Stock-Photo.jpg

I don't really see monk like suits and this is modern Milan.
And yes, DMC is as unrealistic as Bayonetta.

Top Bottom