• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

about Dante's character devlopment

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
@Chancey289: I would've thought you would have learnt your lesson by now. Baiting people into pointless arguments and bringing up old topics that you're responsible for getting locked is NOT funny, clever, or anything like that. This, for now, is an unofficial warning. Don't do it again, be smarter next time.

Sparda's Rebellion

Style matters in combat.
That line literally describes that Dante was only interested because of the fun he was going to have killing demons. Not because he cares about saving the world. He started that new business solely to get money while killing demons and having fun doing it. Hell, Dante makes no inclinations to wanting revenge on the demons for his mother's death until DMC1.
Both are basically the same, however they go about being "thug life" based on what their countries they were created in considers "thug life".

DMC3 Dante's thug life=flashy clothes, wants to party, cool one-liners, long coats.
tumblr_nfio32uG9z1sc31yro1_r1_500.jpg

DmC Dante=rugged features, less then stellar leather coat, wife beater, swearing
watermark.php
Ninja Theory's view of cool would be from a UK perspective, Sin City isn't from the UK. I'm not sure most Americans would look at DmC Dante as what cool looks like, at least I definitely don't when it comes to his personality. What's considered cool to someone like Tameem is far from what I consider cool I guess but DmC Dante is an interesting character. And like I said before, I like DmC Dante and I like the story and gameplay, I don't want the things that I'm saying to come off as harsh criticism.

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
Ninja Theory's view of cool would be from a UK perspective, Sin City isn't from the UK. I'm not sure most Americans would look at DmC Dante as what cool looks like, at least I definitely don't when it comes to his personality. What's considered cool to someone like Tameem is far from what I consider cool I guess but DmC Dante is an interesting character. And like I said before, I like DmC Dante and I like the story and gameplay, I don't want the things that I'm saying to come off as harsh criticism.

But that's the point; what you consider cool and what tameen and people he's seen in the UK consider cool is really different based on what he's grown up around. Guaranteed if he was born and raised in Japan, Tameen's Dante would be more akin to those delinquent high school boys you see out and about starting up trouble with their died hair, and such.
Sin City may not be from the UK, but a person like Marv wouldn't be too out of place. Especially in places like Liverpool or the more urban parts.

Last edited:

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
Really? I thought haters completely reasonable fans viewed Dante as just another B on the Dance Floor Emo...

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
Did anyone see any similiarities between DmC Dante and Nero in their depiction or how their character arc plays out?

WolfOD64

That Guy Who Hates Fox McCloud
Did anyone see any similiarities between DmC Dante and Nero in their depiction or how their character arc plays out?
Truth be told, I actually warmed up to DmC Dante purely because he reminded me so much of Nero...which isn't a shocker, because I warmed up to Nero on the grounds that he was more like DMC1 Dante than Dante himself.

For a simple reason: He had varied emotions and character traits...which made him a CHARACTER, and not a ONE-DIMENSIONAL PIZZA-SCARFING MANNEQUIN.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium

Let's just say when people ask what a DmC Nero would be like, I always answer that that already exists... to an extent.

Rebellious punk attitude, swearing, middle fingers... DmC Dante is a more extreme version of Nero, personality wise.

But their arc is a little different, Dante at the beginning doesn't care about anybody and anything, answers to no one and screws anything that moves, while Nero belongs to an organization, and already has somebody he cares about, and he's extremely devoted to her and her alone.

Also, Nero is about to come to terms with his demonic heritage, DmC Dante is about rejecting his ego and developing some empathy for others and other things aside from himself, essentially stopping from being a self absorbed showoff, which makes him more similar to DMC3 Dante and his development arc and range of emotions throughout THAT game while still not being completely the same, obviously.

In fact, I've always considered DmC Dante to be kind of a mix between Nero and DMC3 Dante, only more obnoxious. Although maybe that was intended.

Last edited:

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
So was the similarities between new Dante and DMC3 Dante/Nero a good or bad thing for the character?

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
So was the similarities between new Dante and DMC3 Dante/Nero a good or bad thing for the character?

Can't really know for certain (how can we predict how the character would have been had they taken another route?).

However, I do feel Capcom should have had more balls and not tell NT to make their Dante more similar to the old one. I wish they'd stuck with the druggy/broody one from the first trailer, cause given this Dante's backstory and the more grounded setting, it would have made so much more sense to go that route. They made the change to try and appease old fans, but they should have known people were still gonna hate. So might as well go all in and stick with your original vision. You know what I'm saying?

In the end DmC is some sort of blend of DMC1 and 3's stories, and I feel that if they'd stuck with their original Dante, it might have turned out more interesting, and maybe less predictable for old fans, as Goldsickle pointed out.

absolitude

the devil is not as black as he painted
if they're going with that junkie dante, i wonder what kind of vergil would we have, and the kind of conflict that would go between the brothers..

Triggerpigking

I kinda liked the idea of vergil being like he is here personality wise, just with more depth, the issue for me with the shooting scene was simply that it was 1. uncalled for and caused massive damage to the city and killed tons for no reason other then revenge and 2. that he did so in a very disturbingly sadistic way, not that I feel sympathy for her in the slightest but the only reason he had to kill her like that was simply personal enjoment which is really ****ed up.
Considering how much of a junkie dante was planned to be it would've been interesting if vergil ended up being the more ****ed up of the two later down the game, and it would've made his twisted sense of responsibility to control earth more interesting(that was a great idea which sadly seems to have been scrapped by the dlc).

Personally I think the changes they made to be more like dante from 1 and 3 was on ninja theory not capcom possibly due to the backlash which is a shame, they tried to have it both ways which was never gonna work with their vision of the game(We're seeing this with the new metroid as well, nintendo are desperately trying to tie it back to the original games tonally and failing).
Stuff like Dante's demon form design(I can only assume this was gonna be different as the art direction in this game was mostly amazing) and character motivations are all stuff that should'nt of been changed to be more like the old games.
Oh yeah and i'm in perfect agreement about the nero-dmc dante similarities, he is similair to a more obnoxious nero.

Top Bottom