• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

about Dante's character devlopment

AgentRedgrave

Legendary Devil Hunter
To be honest, I don't think they'll ever explain how Sparda died. I think that's a question they'll leave in the dark since it has no real purpose to add. All that can be said about Sparda is that he was super strong, he made demons angry, he died, and people want the legacy.

And to stay on topic with the thread; do we even know how DmC Dante feels about his father?

We know Vergil possibly has some respect for him, but we don't really understand Dante's opinion on his dad. Did he respect Sparda's decision to put him in a foster home of demons, or was he angry with him through and through?

You can also apply this with DMC Dante; did he forgive his father after DMC3 since it appeared he didn't like him that much?
We got that one scene in DmC with Phineas.

"I know your father, Sparda, I see him in you"

"Sparda was a demon, I'm nothing like him"

Not much, but it's the closest we really see him expressing any opinion of his father

As for classic Dante, well he did initially reject Sparda as his father after his first fight with Vergil. But as Foxy and I pointed out, his views of family, largely thanks to his interactions with Lady, certainly change

"We are the sons of Sparda, withing each of us flows his blood"

And we never see him show any negative view of Sparda in any other game. Heck in DMC1, he even says he'd defeat Mundus "In the name of my father"

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
We got that one scene in DmC with Phineas.

"I know your father, Sparda, I see him in you"

"Sparda was a demon, I'm nothing like him"

Not much, but it's the closest we really see him expressing any opinion of his father

As for classic Dante, well he did initially reject Sparda as his father after his first fight with Vergil. But as Foxy and I pointed out, his views of family, largely thanks to his interactions with Lady, certainly change

"We are the sons of Sparda, withing each of us flows his blood"

And we never see him show any negative view of Sparda in any other game. Heck in DMC1, he even says he'd defeat Mundus "In the name of my father"

I guess they didn't want the focus to be so much on Sparda and rather on Dante's journey in DmC. Still a little more would help me to see where Dante's coming from. I believe he sort of hates his father for how crappy his life turns out, which could explain how he said he was "nothing like him" since he probably has no idea how his father was personality wise. Was he strict? Was he kind? Did he give them piggy back rides? Just some things along with DMC Sparda I'd like to know.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
I don't think he's the worst take on Dante because that honor goes to the anime Dante (that dude is just dull). I think he just stumbled under the weight of all the expectations, the carnival barking, the vague pr, the passive aggressive nitpicking, the wannabe high-brow lectures of what a series should be.

Kinda like Nero :cool:

DragonMaster2010

I disagree I think it goes to DMC2 Dante. Anime Dante right after.
Yeah anime Dante may have been dull but in context it made sense because his only challenge was Mundus. After that, all other demons were weak as hell and Dante grew less enthused about killing them. In DMC2 however, he's just emotionless all around.

Triggerpigking

I actually really liked the dmc anime lol, not much character development though obviously but it was entertaining, needed a second season actually as it had a lot of potential and we have'nt really gotten to see much of dante's job or life outside of the big events in the main 4 games.

Goldsickle

It might be due to me playing DMC3 first before DmC, but I felt that DmC Dante's "gradually becomes a caring person" development predictable.

In DMC3, it's established that Dante does things for the Hell of it.
Somewhere along the way, observing Lady made him rethink about family matters and responsibilities.

When I see the "uncaring" DmC Dante, I thought "he's going to start showing some caring side to the girl in the end" and I guessed it right.

... although he did point his gun to a pregnant (demon) woman's womb, so he's still kinda cruel.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
To be fair, it was a hostage exchange so he had to act threatening. Plus his dialogue with Vergil later does show he wasn't cool with Vergil shooting an unarmed women even if she was a demon.
Why do people even care about her getting shot by Vergil? She was an evil bitch carrying a demon baby Hitler. If demonic babies are now so precious, then how come no one bitched when Dante killed Echidna the She-Viper's babies and stuff?

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
If demonic babies are now so precious, then how come no one bitched when Dante killed Echidna the She-Viper's babies and stuff?

This point was addressed in another thread, I remember.

Basically the difference is that Echidna's... "children" were a bunch of seeds. Lilith's child was a demon baby that much more resembled a human being therefore it had more of a visual impact. And not also visual, since that was an actual plot point. As I said in the mentioned thread, killing Echidna's seeds equates to pretty much stepping on some grass in the park while Lilith's was a straight up abortion scene.

That said, I don't really care about her nor her demon baby, nor do I think there's the need to build some drama on it, I'm just telling you why Echidna and Lilith are not the same thing and that comparison doesn't hold up.

DragonMaster2010

Why do people even care about her getting shot by Vergil? She was an evil bitch carrying a demon baby Hitler. If demonic babies are now so precious, then how come no one bitched when Dante killed Echidna the She-Viper's babies and stuff?
For the most part, yeah she was an evil bitch, but not so evil that she had to die. She was just in love with power and really posed no big threat besides controlling Mundus's spawn.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
For the most part, yeah she was an evil bitch, but not so evil that she had to die. She was just in love with power and really posed no big threat besides controlling Mundus's spawn.

I'd have given Barbas a more gruesome death if I were Dante. That guy must have been really obnoxious to him and was the primary cause for citizens hating on him and making him a reject, yet he got away with a middle finger and a headshot.

DragonMaster2010

I'd have given Barbas a more gruesome death if I were Dante. That guy must have been really obnoxious to him and was the primary cause for citizens hating on him and making him a reject, yet he got away with a middle finger and a headshot.
I actually don't think Barbas has been around that long. I think he came to the news around a year before the game's story.

Lain

Earthbound Immortal
Premium
I forget what it's called but there's an effect where humans are more biased to care about the welfare of others depending on how human they look. Since Echidna didn't look human no one cared, but Lillith resembled a real woman so some people found it distressing.

To paraphrase Lenny Deary on the Endangered Species Act, "You know how this is going to end! Eventually, only the cute and cool animals will get to live!"

I'd love to discuss this further, but we're getting terribly off topic.

Sparda's Rebellion

Style matters in combat.
I actually really liked the dmc anime lol, not much character development though obviously but it was entertaining, needed a second season actually as it had a lot of potential and we have'nt really gotten to see much of dante's job or life outside of the big events in the main 4 games.
It needed to be 26 episodes, Dante barely uses Rebellion in that anime but if it was at least 26 episodes we could have had not only a more flushed out story but also some better battles. Maybe even a new weapon or two half way through from killing one of the main baddies. It would have been sick if it had an Organization 13 style bad guy group like in Outlaw Star or Trigun or Ninja Scroll. Dante taking on a demon clan of bad guys with their own little backstory would be awesome.

AgentRedgrave

Legendary Devil Hunter
It's cause Vergil shot her in the back, not so much the act itself, just that they don't think It's something classic Vergil would do, and that's all I'm gonna say about it, there's already a thread arguing over it

Top Bottom