• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

about Dante's character devlopment

Director Bison

King of Games
Premium Elite
Premium
Normally i would never ask this since this
but i would like your guys help if you half the time to give me your opinions

i plan on making a Video about DmC
now i don’t like DmC but i still want to be fair about the game

and i would like your opinion on DmC Dante’s Character Devlopment
see i hate his character
but i know that i am really really biased since i’m such a huge fan of the old games

i would like an unbiased (or at least less biased) perspective to work with so i can be more fair to fans of DmC

can you describe specific parts of the story where YOU saw his character development

and can you go into as much detail as possible like certain lines that stuck with you and how you felt during the game’s story

also no flame wars if you disagree with someone you can make your own thread to complain about it OK

WolfOD64

That Guy Who Hates Fox McCloud
Initially, Dante's wrought with self-absorbed characteristics: he's shallow, selfish, self-serving, brittle, and shows elements of hostility and distrust towards others. Kat approaches him for help, and he not only shows blunt suspicion towards her, but isn't remotely interested in giving her aid until he realizes how many police are looking for him. But even after meeting Vergil and being introduced to the Order's motives, he's still unwilling to put himself in danger for the sake of a more nobler cause than himself, and is openly ignorant to anything or anyone that doesn't automatically benefit him. This is something the other characters are very much aware of, such as when Kat rolls her eyes when Dante facetiously rejects her role in helping him with slaying the Hunter, the indications of Vergil losing his patience when trying to sway Dante into joining upon the first meeting, and verbally, when Kat literally says: "Is this really going to work? He doesn't seem to care."

This coarse and self-serving nature is reflected in how he fights as well. He takes large risks to achieve a blunt and excessive victory from every fight he takes part in, even going as far as to mock and jab at the foe at hand...without any consideration for his own safety, or that of others. This can be seen in practically every encounter throughout the game, from the Hunter, to the Succubus, to Bob Barbas...

But over the course of his journey, these traits mellow out, and new elements of his character surface from his rough exterior. After dispensing with his selfish attitude, he begins to inquire and learn about his allies, like when he's alone with both Kat and Vergil (the former inside the car, and the latter during the infiltration of Mundus' Tower). It's during these moments where the player can see that Dante's grown to see his new allies as people, rather than just assets. He puts aside his selfish motives and anti-social barrier to get to know them better, to the point where he feels a sense of newfound empathy towards them. For once, he's invested in people outside of himself...he sees organic and normal people that contradict with the shallow world of druggies and hookers he's spent his life mingling with. He spends a good chunk of the narrative attempting to better his flaws: he listens and heeds the advice of others, instead of constantly rejecting outside input like he used to. He shows elements of interest towards new things about his heritage, as well as the world his parents come from...rather than dismissing it and sticking to his own, close-minded perceptions of the warring races around him. It gets to the point where he converts himself from a selfish, wandering loner to a more experienced and cautious protector. His main prerogative for the duration of the narrative is the sole protection of someone else, rather than just looking out exclusively for himself. His view on the people around him shifts greatly from the one he had previously adopted---even going as far as to deliberately oppose the idea of reducing them into enslavement, and regards the people around not as objects to achieve his own personal goals and vice, but as actual equals worth protecting.

His arc and character is molded in a hard plaster of selfishness and stubbornness, of immaturity and coarse world-weariness...one that breaks the moment he starts acting and fighting on behalf of others outside himself. THAT is who Dante was, and the kind of character he ends up becoming by the end of the game. He's actually the only incarnation of the character since the one featured in DMC1 to undergo any significant amount of character development by the end of the game.

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
@WolfOD64: Those were all excellent points. I'd just like to say that DMC 3 Dante was pretty uncaring, and immature. The only difference being that we never saw any development from his character until (like you said) DMC 1. So to me, DmC Dante is a character that we see undergo drastic change throughout the course of the game. He's not just a character that acts and behaves the same from start to finish, like most other DMC Dante's.

WolfOD64

Those were all excellent points. I'd just like to say that DMC 3 Dante was pretty uncaring, and immature. The only difference being that we never saw any development from his character until (like you said) DMC 1. So to me, DmC Dante is a character that we see undergo drastic change throughout the course of the game. He's not just a character that acts and behaves the same from start to finish, like most other DMC Dante's.[
Exactly. I get lambasted constantly for "bashing the Old Dante", but that's mostly because every incarnation after 1 has been one-note and shallow. Dante now only has two switches: "college frat-kid", and "college frat-kid with a vengeance", and it doesn't make for a particularly interesting character. I'd understand if the whole point of DMC3 was to show him transform into the one from DMC1...in fact, I'm almost certain that was the intention of that story.

But between 3, the Animated Series, and 4, he hasn't undergone any transformation at all. In fact, I'd almost argue that Nero gets more development in one game than Dante has as the protagonist of the entire series. This is one of the reasons I practically throw pagan rituals on a daily basis with cat's blood and bird feathers, in the vain hope that some higher force will prevent Bingo Morihashi from writing the next game, and Capcom'll higher someone with actual writing credibility to give Dante the development he deserves.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
The only difference being that we never saw any development from his character until (like you said) DMC 1.

I agree with Wolf about DmC Dante mostly, but are you being serious right now? The only way he acts the same from start to finish were 2 and 4.

Director Bison

King of Games
Premium Elite
Premium
thank you @WolfOD64
I agree with Wolf about DmC Dante mostly, but are you being serious right now? The only way he acts the same from start to finish were 2 and 4.
now to be fair to i don't think DMC 3 Dante changes much either
(which is actually something i liked)

DMC 3 Dante is all crazy threw out the whole game
he does have moments where he thinks about what his Family and what being a demon means to him
but for the most part the Dante's at the start of the game and at the end of the game are almost exactly the same

if DMC 3 never happened
that Dante still would have run his business and eventually he still would have when to Mallet Island with Trish

DMC 3 explains what happened to Vergil but it's doesn't feel necessary for DMC 1 to exist

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
but for the most part the Dante's at the start of the game and at the end of the game are almost exactly the same

If it's gonna help you with your video, or if you're just curious, I can tell you my piece on the matter. Your threads, your rules.

Director Bison

King of Games
Premium Elite
Premium
yes please
i need good point's explaining why DmC is so split for Fans

i want to get past the you hate it cus the HAIR argument

and get deep in to why some people hate the game and why some pepole don't and why that's OK

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
I agree with Wolf about DmC Dante mostly, but are you being serious right now?

Yes, completely. I didn't see much of a change. As Director Bison put it, he's mostly the same from start to finish. Where's the problem with me viewing it that way?

I'd understand if the whole point of DMC3 was to show him transform into the one from DMC1...in fact, I'm almost certain that was the intention of that story.

I couldn't agree more. I'm quite certain that was the intention.

absolitude

the devil is not as black as he painted
i'm gonna ask, what's the video gonna be about? dante's character development in the game? analysis why it's so split among fans, or do you want to bridge fans?

WolfOD64

thank you @WolfOD64
DMC 3 explains what happened to Vergil but it's doesn't feel necessary for DMC 1 to exist
This is an extremely good point about DMC3's narrative. It establishes so little and contributes practically nothing to either Dante or Vergil's role in the series. It doesn't develop either character, outside of the five seconds where Vergil did something interesting and contradictory to his character and put aside his contempt for his brother to combat a larger threat---whereas Dante didn't do a single thing or change in a meaningful way to earn the outfit from the first game and provide any other reason to start the Demon Hunting Business that wasn't already established in the first game.

You could've jumped from DMC1, to the animated series, to DMC4, and miss absolutely nothing. The only thing that would stick out would be the presence of Lady, and even her motives concerning her father and her original relationship with Dante can be easily overlooked, given that they never impact the rest of the series in any real way...much like Dante and Vergil's pointless and poorly-explained feud, ironically enough, despite the fact that it was the main conflict of the game.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
Okay, first of all, I suggest you go and visit this thread, by @DragonMaster2010: http://devilmaycry.org/threads/the-character-range-of-dante-from-kamiya-to-tameem.19787/

It should be right what you need.

To the matter at hand, I'll start by quoting @berto from that very thread (check out his posts btw, he does a good job at expressing his opinions).

Dante-Devil-May-cry.jpg

Now, most popular of the lot.

Dante in Devil May Cry 3 kinda saved the franchise, didn't he? Let's face it, after DMC2 people were kinda worried about how they'd make this one. I wasn't. I liked 2 at the time so I was really eager for more.

By the way, I'll also be lumping him with the Manga Dante since they are one in the same.

So, there is this dude who makes B action movies in Japan called Ryuhei Kitamura and I saw a movie of his back in around '03 called Versus. After that there seemed to be an explosion of Japanese movies like it. Some were good and some are real bad. Other films of it's kind are films like Aragami, Death Trance, Tokyo Gore Police, Machine Girl, and Hell Driver. Like I said, some are better than others. Versus was choreographed by a man named Yuji Shimomura who was also the action director of the film. Shortly after Versus Yuji Shimomura went to work as the action director of Devil May Cry 3, and his influence really made an impact on the game's plot and characters.

Personally, having loved Versus so much I got super excited when I learned that the game was going to be told in the same style. However, this is, by far, the biggest departure from the original Dante that there would be in the franchises history. You might not think so, I mean, what's different, super cheesy dialogue with crazy action that defies logic.Well, it's like how Michael Bay's cheese (Ninja Turtles, Transformers) is different from Roland Emmerich's cheese (Independence Day, Godzilla, 2012). Also, since the game would turn out to be the most loved in the series it would change Dante's portrayal forever.

In terms of character Dante is probably his most complex. He might be a huge goofball who drops the dumbest lines in the series but it seems like there really is much more to him than the previous takes on the character, mostly because of Vergil. The makers have made a great deal of concessions to make them both identical yet complete opposites, they are each other's shadows, and arguably the mirror image of the other, the part of themselves they hate.

By himself, Dante here is cocky, a show off, maybe even arrogant. There is a definitive line between confidence and arrogance, though the two seem similar there is a clear difference, which he crosses here. The idea was that he is young here and therefore more crass, but the change in narrative has changed both him and the world he lives in. He now defies the laws of physics with a kung fu movie ease and in the cutscenes he doesn't seem too concern about anything in terms of enemies. In the original he might've been defiant and ready to fight but he always seemed like he took the thread seriously. Here he is almost always unimpressed. I get that it was meant to imply that he's so bad ass demons don't scare him, but to me it made the threat seem minimal and so the victory kinda fell short of grand in the cutscenes.

Ultimately this Dante was far closer to the original than his DMC2 counterpart but if both he and DMC1's Dante looked more generic (dark hair, no color scheme for the clothes, average everyman design, let's say cop since it's a common game job) and I played both games without hearing their names, or the character's, I would not have saw that it's clearly the same man or even the same story. Suspected, but I wouldn't have thought it was clearly the same character, just similar enough to wonder.

The foundations of the narrative are now too different, and so are the foundations of the character. What he can or can't do, how he interacts with people and opponents, how they carry themselves; One walks with drive and intent and the other carries himself in a very relaxed manner, laid back, almost like he's got a song in his head. The difference between 'I got this' and 'whatever, no worries' when faced against a horde of vicious enemies. I might've bought that he is younger and therefore more immature but too much of this carries over to DMC4's Dante to just be passed off the differences as simply 'it's because he's younger.'

I agree with most that's said there, but I'll add something more.

At the beginning part of the game, Dante's presented as a superpowered badass that enjoys kicking demons' butts, and that's all it is for him: fun. He's someone who lives for it (duh, eh?) and is always ready and willing to pick up a challenge. As you said, doesn't care about much else. A challenge from his brother? Hell yeah he'll pick the gauntlet.

So there his journey begins, and everything's a cakewalk (for him, not for the player LOL), it's a party, he goes at it so lighheartedly, so uncaring, nothing's on his mind.

On the way, he meets Lady and in his uncaring and lighthearted fashion, cracks jokes trying to hit on her, even kind of ridiculing her.

snkyae.png

"Let you go?! But it would be a waste if you ended up as just a pretty stain."

As I said, who cares, it's all fun.

At the top of the tower, Vergil awaits him, and here is one of the turning point for the story and Dante's character.
What's his attitude towards Vergil in this? Same as always, he cares little about him, is a showoff, playful, mocking, light. Doesn't take him seriously, he's very confident, arrogant, actually.

When he's questioned about the acceptance of his heritage and his father's legacy, he straight up refuses to even acknowledge he has a father. Means nothing to him.

After his defeat, the change starts to boot up. Allow me a computer term. I do study Computer Science after all. Now he's got an actual drive, as selfish as it is: to find Vergil and get his payback.

He meets with Lady again, and once again he's joking and acting uncaring, but when they stumble upon Arkham's body they confront for the first time. They fight and Lady lets her anger out, making Dante know about her problems with her father and the kind of horrible man he was, expressing the deep hatred she feels towards him, without failing to shove Dante's demonic heritage in his face and questioning his understanding of the value of family becasue of it. By the end of it, we're left with a pondering Dante, who's now beginning to be bothered by something else than his own problems.

wb9a4h.png

"Family huh?"

The time for payback comes, and here we can notice how Dante takes the situation more seriously than the first time. He still cracks a couple of jokes, but it ain't a crazy party anymore and he's more determined this time. He also stops to refuse to acknowledge his father. He makes fun of him by calling him "Pop", but doesn't act as if he never existed anymore.

He's not screwing around now, this battle is not for fun like the first time, and he shows this by harshly telling Lady to begone. The party boy Dante from the beginning wouldn't have cared, would have been like "the more the merrier", but this ain't the case.

After Jester revealed his true self and Dante got beaten and found himself outsmarted by Arkham by being one of his pawns, he saves Lady's life and he questions once again the value of family as he witnesses Lady's determination to take down her father to avenge her mother AND stop the apocalypse he's trying to unleash.

dma2ba.png

"
- Are you gonna go?
- Yes. I'm going to finish him off.
- Well, you might as well forget it, cause you're no match for him.
- Regardless, I must go. I had a chance to stop him before, but I couldn't. I'm responsible for all this mess.
- Responsible! Does that bother you that much?
- He's my father! Besides, who else can undo what he's done? ... A demon like you wouldn't understand.
- Family huh...
"

The seed of awareness of family's value and sense of duty that she planted in him before is beginning to grow.

Their next encounter is decisive. Dante's not the self-absorbed guy he was initially, he doesn't only care about himself anymore and confronts Lady's stubborness to try and dissuade her to basically commit suicide.

9atf8l.png

"I told you, you can't do it! Don't you get it? This is not a human's job."

It's after the fight that it's more evident than ever that he's now abandoned his ego-fullfilling attitude and that he now does what he does cause of his own sense of duty and because he feels he has to fix the mess Vergil started. They both soften up and after the fight that was basically an outburst of emotions (Lady's stubborness and proud, and Dante's determination to pursue his quest).

2vl8fn4.png

"This whole business started with my father sealing the entrance between the two worlds. And now my brother's trying to break that spell and turn everything into demonville. This is my family matter too."

He feels it's his responsibility, he's acknowledged his family's heritage, come to terms with it, and accepted the burden, by witnessing how Lady had relentlessly carried her own family related burden.

"Quite frankly, at first I didn't give a damn. But because of you, I know what's important now. I know what I need to do."

Accepting Lady's request and to take her burden too is like sealing the deal of his commitment to the cause. He's grown to care about her and to sympathize with her problems too.

293f2ip.png

"
- Dante... please, free my father.
- I will... Lady.
"

Now to the final battle. You don't need me to tell you that this is arguably the most memorable part of the franchise for the vast majority of fans, also because of its significance.
Remember Dante's attitude in this same kind of situations the first time? Well, compare it to his now.

He now tries to get Vergil to reason, he doesn't wanna fight him unless it's the only option, unlike the previous two times, where he was all for a fight. Unlike the previous two times, he now fully embraces his father's blood legacy (which is also symbolized by picking up his father's sword), unlike the previous two times, he doesn't mock it, and he's fighting for a cause. And not a selfish cause, like fun seeking or payback.
His attitude towards the situation is different, his attitude towards the ideals of family and duty is different, and his attitude towards Vergil himself as an adversary and a brother is different. This Dante is one who reaches his hand out for his falling brother, who is sorry for his loss and cries for it despite all the evil Vergil did.

s60j2d.png

Notice how the camera doesn't frame his eyes by the way, there's no eccessive display of sorrow, it's subtle, which makes it all the more effective.

It all began with "Let's go to a crazy party, I'm sure you've got something fun for me, eh Vergil?" and ended with a Dante who is more aware of what's important, who accepts his heritage, more caring, with more empathy, who takes stuff more seriously, a Dante who conserves the cut and blooded gauntlet he tossed at Vergil in response to his, in his memory.

2rm8mr9.png

A prototype of what DMC1 Dante will be years later, and more similar to him than he was at the beginning of the game. He's now got the attire he sports in DMC1, we get why he now uses Force Edge, and where the shop's name comes from, what it means.

As to why DmC Dante and DmC in general are so hated, I think it doesn't stem from simply the fact that they rebooted the franchise. No, it's my belief that it comes from the fact that they did it without giving DMC proper closure. They introduced a new character in DMC4 and DMC2 ended with a cliffhanger, fans wanted more, and Capcom responded with "Reboot!"

Ask yourself this: do you think people would have gotten so mad if the main series was given proper closure? I think not. Sure, there would have still been a group of disgruntled fans moaning, but I'm sure it wouldn't have been as bad as it turned out.

Yes, some traits of DmC Dante's personality do contribute to people not standing him, like swearing and booze, and "thug life" kind of attitude even in the later parts of the game, which are generally considered cheap ways to make a character cool, but I do think the main problem is the one I said above.

absolitude

Okay, first of all, I suggest you go and visit this thread, by @DragonMaster2010: http://devilmaycry.org/threads/the-character-range-of-dante-from-kamiya-to-tameem.19787/

It should be right what you need.

To the matter at hand, I'll start by quoting @berto from that very thread (check out his posts btw, he does a good job at expressing his opinions).

I agree with most that's said there, but I'll add something more.

At the beginning part of the game, Dante's presented as a superpowered badass that enjoys kicking demons' butts, and that's all it is for him: fun. He's someone who lives for it (duh, eh?) and is always ready and willing to pick up a challenge. As you said, doesn't care about much else. A challenge from his brother? Hell yeah he'll pick the gauntlet.

So there his journey begins, and everything's a cakewalk (for him, not for the player LOL), it's a party, he goes at it so lighheartedly, so uncaring, nothing's on his mind.

On the way, he meets Lady and in his uncaring and lighthearted fashion, cracks jokes trying to hit on her, even kind of ridiculing her.

snkyae.png

"Let you go?! But it would be a waste if you ended up as just a pretty stain."

As I said, who cares, it's all fun.

At the top of the tower, Vergil awaits him, and here is one of the turning point for the story and Dante's character.
What's his attitude towards Vergil in this? Same as always, he cares little about him, is a showoff, playful, mocking, light. Doesn't take him seriously, he's very confident, arrogant, actually.

When he's questioned about the acceptance of his heritage and his father's legacy, he straight up refuses to even acknowledge he has a father. Means nothing to him.

After his defeat, the change starts to boot up. Allow me a computer term. I do study Computer Science after all. Now he's got an actual drive, as selfish as it is: to find Vergil and get his payback.

He meets with Lady again, and once again he's joking and acting uncaring, but when they stumble upon Arkham's body they confront for the first time. They fight and Lady lets her anger out, making Dante know about her problems with her father and the kind of horrible man he was, expressing the deep hatred she feels towards him, without failing to shove Dante's demonic heritage in his face and questioning his understanding of the value of family becasue of it. By the end of it, we're left with a pondering Dante, who's now beginning to be bothered by something else than his own problems.

wb9a4h.png

"Family huh?"

The time for payback comes, and here we can notice how Dante takes the situation more seriously than the first time. He still cracks a couple of jokes, but it ain't a crazy party anymore and he's more determined this time. He also stops to refuse to acknowledge his father. He makes fun of him by calling him "Pop", but doesn't act as if he never existed anymore.

He's not screwing around now, this battle is not for fun like the first time, and he shows this by harshly telling Lady to begone. The party boy Dante from the beginning wouldn't have cared, would have been like "the more the merrier", but this ain't the case.

After Jester revealed his true self and Dante got beaten and found himself outsmarted by Arkham by being one of his pawns, he saves Lady's life and he questions once again the value of family as he witnesses Lady's determination to take down her father to avenge her mother AND stop the apocalypse he's trying to unleash.

dma2ba.png

"
- Are you gonna go?
- Yes. I'm going to finish him off.
- Well, you might as well forget it, cause you're no match for him.
- Regardless, I must go. I had a chance to stop him before, but I couldn't. I'm responsible for all this mess.
- Responsible! Does that bother you that much?
- He's my father! Besides, who else can undo what he's done? ... A demon like you wouldn't understand.
- Family huh...
"

The seed of awareness of family's value and sense of duty that she planted in him before is beginning to grow.

Their next encounter is decisive. Dante's not the self-absorbed guy he was initially, he doesn't only care about himself anymore and confronts Lady's stubborness to try and dissuade her to basically commit suicide.

9atf8l.png

"I told you, you can't do it! Don't you get it? This is not a human's job."

It's after the fight that it's more evident than ever that he's now abandoned his ego-fullfilling attitude and that he now does what he does cause of his own sense of duty and because he feels he has to fix the mess Vergil started. They both soften up and after the fight that was basically an outburst of emotions (Lady's stubborness and proud, and Dante's determination to pursue his quest).

2vl8fn4.png

"This whole business started with my father sealing the entrance between the two worlds. And now my brother's trying to break that spell and turn everything into demonville. This is my family matter too."

He feels it's his responsibility, he's acknowledged his family's heritage, come to terms with it, and accepted the burden, by witnessing how Lady had relentlessly carried her own family related burden.

"Quite frankly, at first I didn't give a damn. But because of you, I know what's important now. I know what I need to do."

Accepting Lady's request and to take her burden too is like sealing the deal of his commitment to the cause. He's grown to care about her and to sympathize with her problems too.

293f2ip.png

"
- Dante... please, free my father.
- I will... Lady.
"

Now to the final battle. You don't need me to tell you that this is arguably the most memorable part of the franchise for the vast majority of fans, also because of its significance.
Remember Dante's attitude in this same kind of situations the first time? Well, compare it to his now.

He now tries to get Vergil to reason, he doesn't wanna fight him unless it's the only option, unlike the previous two times, where he was all for a fight. Unlike the previous two times, he now fully embraces his father's blood legacy (which is also symbolized by picking up his father's sword), unlike the previous two times, he doesn't mock it, and he's fighting for a cause. And not a selfish cause, like fun seeking or payback.
His attitude towards the situation is different, his attitude towards the ideals of family and duty is different, and his attitude towards Vergil himself as an adversary and a brother is different. This Dante is one who reaches his hand out for his falling brother, who is sorry for his loss and cries for it despite all the evil Vergil did.

s60j2d.png

Notice how the camera doesn't frame his eyes by the way, there's no eccessive display of sorrow, it's subtle, which makes it all the more effective.

It all began with "Let's go to a crazy party, I'm sure you've got something fun for me, eh Vergil?" and ended with a Dante who is more aware of what's important, who accepts his heritage, more caring, with more empathy, who takes stuff more seriously, a Dante who conserves the cut and blooded gauntlet he tossed at Vergil in response to his, in his memory.

2rm8mr9.png

A prototype of what DMC1 Dante will be years later, and more similar to him than he was at the beginning of the game. He's now got the attire he sports in DMC1, we get why he now uses Force Edge, and where the shop's name comes from, what it means.

As to why DmC Dante and DmC in general are so hated, I think it doesn't stem from simply the fact that they rebooted the franchise. No, it's my belief that it comes from the fact that they did it without giving DMC proper closure. They introduced a new character in DMC4 and DMC2 ended with a cliffhanger, fans wanted more, and Capcom responded with "Reboot!"

Ask yourself this: do you think people would have gotten so mad if the main series was given proper closure? I think not. Sure, there would have still been a group of disgruntled fans moaning, but I'm sure it wouldn't have been as bad as it turned out.

Yes, some traits of DmC Dante's personality do contribute to people not standing him, like swearing and booze, and "thug life" kind of attitude even in the later parts of the game, which are generally considered cheap ways to make a character cool, but I do think the main problem is the one I said above.

did you just start the DMC3 game, take screenshots and posted them here and type all those things in that post?

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
did you just start the DMC3 game, take screenshots and posted them here and type all those things in that post?

Yeah. Thank God for that demo digest feature. I thought why go and post blurry screens from a compressed YouTube video when I can capture screenshots from my graphically enchanced (thanks to Style Switcher mod... God bless serpentiem) version of the game?

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
@Foxtrot94: I actually interpret a lot of DMC 3's story and characters in a completely different way. I'm not going to get into it too much here, it's mostly besides the point anyway. However, we all agree that DmC Dante seems to change quite drastically from start to finish. I won't deny that there are brief moments in 3 where Dante behaves out-of-character, but I personally felt that those moments were miniscule overall, and by the end he's more or less the same dude he was at the beginning. I think the reason they wanted to make DmC Dante go from being this kind of selfish, careless, somewhat young and inexperienced/immature punk to something completely different by the end, is because they wanted to show as much as possible in just one game. They probably took into account the chances for a sequel depending on fan reception, and we needn't say much about that.

AgentRedgrave

Legendary Devil Hunter
I agree with Wolf's post about DmC Dante it was well thought out....But, as much as I love it....How does DMC1 Dante develop?....I'm serious, to me he seems the same at the end of the game as he did at the start.
I'd argue the only character we see develop in DMC1 was Trish.

Call me biased, cause favorite game and all, but we do see Dante develop in 3. For exactly the same reasons Foxy stated.

Dante at the start of the game, starts as a dude who just wants a fight, and cares for nothing, but by the end of the game. Sees the bigger picture and accepts his family
"Father? I don't have a father. I just don't like you, that's all"
vs
"We are the sons of Sparda, within each of us flows his blood. But more importantly, his soul, and now my soul is saying it wants to stop you"
Just because Dante keeps a carefree and cocky attitude on the surface, and rarely gets serious or gets emotional, doesn't mean there isn't more to it, that's actually one of the things I love about Dante.
Lost his parents, his brother became his archenemy, and he's a half demon, he's gone through enough crap. But he doesn't let it get to him and keeps a (pun-intended) devil-may-care attitude.

Anyway, DmC Dante, he too starts as a cocky smart-@$$ who doesn't really give a f@%k. He gets recruited into the order, his compliance, after his initial dismissal, was born out of a desire for familial connection (with his long lost brother) and for revenge (Mundus killing his mother and banishing his father). To actually growing to care about humanity through his interactions with Kat, whom he initially distrusts, but grows close too and begins to trust and care deeply about.

So that's my input, don't think I said much of what wasn't already said (if at all) hope it was helpful

absolitude

Yeah. Thank God for that demo digest feature. I thought why go and post blurry screens from a compressed YouTube video when I can capture screenshots from my graphically enchanced (thanks to Style Switcher mod... God bless serpentiem) version of the game?

with all those sequential points coming out of your head just like that, lol, it would've took me tomorrow to post.. clap clap clap

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
@LordOfDarkness
And I couldn't disagree more. Just because that's not what the game showed me. So I guess we'll just have to leave it at that.

with all those sequential points coming out of your head

Well, it's not like those points were coming out of my head now, it's what I've always thought about the game. I just had to be careful not to butcher English and most of the time it took was because of my crappy internet upload speed so uploading the pics was kinda slow.

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
And I couldn't disagree more. Just because that's not what the game showed me. So I guess we'll just have to leave it at that.

That's the point though, isn't it? We take these things away from games, movies, whatever, and it's not always the same opinion on things. I'm happy to discuss about it. Although I think differently on the matter doesn't mean I don't value your opinion.

Top Bottom