• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

about Dante's character devlopment

WolfOD64

That Guy Who Hates Fox McCloud
@Foxtrot94: I actually interpret a lot of DMC 3's story and characters in a completely different way. I'm not going to get into it too much here, it's mostly besides the point anyway. However, we all agree that DmC Dante seems to change quite drastically from start to finish. I won't deny that there are brief moments in 3 where Dante behaves out-of-character, but I personally felt that those moments were miniscule overall, and by the end he's more or less the same dude he was at the beginning. I think the reason they wanted to make DmC Dante go from being this kind of selfish, careless, somewhat young and inexperienced/immature punk to something completely different by the end, is because they wanted to show as much as possible in just one game. They probably took into account the chances for a sequel depending on fan reception, and we needn't say much about that.
^Pretty much this.

The microscopic instances in which Dante decided to sway from his frothing, hyperactive self only come off as out of place and horribly inconsistent with the way he's been portrayed for the rest of the game. That kind of character change is about as natural and flowing as introducing freshwater fish to the Dead Sea. Yes, there were instances of cryptic dialogue exchanges with Lady, but they more often than not ended with Dante swaggering off back to the main game, without a change of tone, or any smidgen of development to take away. The only real instance he breaks face and acts marginally serious is when he tries to confront Vergil in the Underworld, which only happens between another tone-breaking exchange of humorous banter, that only enforces the notion that even this late in the game, Dante hasn't undergone a smidgen of significant growth. The credits even roll to him whipping out his pistols and exclaiming how crazy he is about fighting, as if further stamping it into the player's heads that even after everything that's happened, he hasn't changed his sense of maturity, style, personality, mentality or motivation at all. He's exactly how he was when the game started, and doesn't do a thing to compound otherwise when the writers cram him into the DMC1 suit to feverishly stake claim in narrative continuity.

By the ineffective narrative's end, with no new established character traits to carry over into the next game, it almost feels like some random, unrelated character is wearing DMC1 Dante's attire...which is the exact staple symptom of abysmal writing and non-existent character
development

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
But, as much as I love it....How does DMC1 Dante develop?....I'm serious, to me he seems the same at the end of the game as he did at the start.

It's not that DMC1 Dante develops. His personality is always the same. It's that the game lets us know what his personality consists of, by showing its traits. There is a difference.

Dante at the start of the game, starts as a dude who just wants a fight, and cares for nothing, but by the end of the game. Sees the bigger picture and accepts his family
"Father? I don't have a father. I just don't like you, that's all"
vs
"We are the sons of Sparda, within each of us flows his blood. But more importantly, his soul, and now my soul is saying it wants to stop you"​

Put it simply, yeah. Btw, since you posted those quotes, I also liked how the gradual changes that happen in his personality through his experience with Lady and so on are made the most evident during the Vergil fights. That's what I consider the best kind of narrative for this type of games, the one that lets the action express the personality.

Just because Dante keeps a carefree and cocky attitude on the surface, and rarely gets serious or gets emotional, doesn't mean there isn't more to it, that's actually one of the things I love about Dante.

That's something I like in this kind of characters in general.

Anyway, I'd like to add that I think they shouldn't have added that ass-grabbing scene at the end of DmC in the DE, it kind of defeats the purpose of showing how more mature Dante got.

Last edited:

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
and like that thread that Foxtrot mentioned, I still hold true to that opinon;

Personally DMC3 wasn't my most favorite version of classic Dante, but to say he had absolutely NO maturity would be missing a bit of his story. Dante DID do a little bit of growth in the game, but I guess they didn't want a repeat of DMC2, to which I say that more falls on the writers not knowing how to create the balance that Kamiya and co. did while doing DMC1 Dante. But in DMC3, Dante did go from being a party-loving frat boy, to a party-loving frat boy who grows a conscience for others as oppose to just carrying about himself.

And ask for DmC, Dante, now that I've mellowed out of the bias fanboyism of DmC and can look at it objectively, I can say that I did over-exaggerate a few things about him in the past.

Dante's character change does go on through out the game, however it's actually pretty small and almost easy to miss, which I believe falls on the writers. Also in writing for Dante in my fanfic "Dead or Alive 5: Damned Spirit" I've begun to see Dante differently then I have before.

In the beginning, Dante was mostly a Jersey Shore kind of guy, but less douchey and more loner. He had lived years of his life fighting demons and meeting distrusting people. Nine times out of ten, when he did trust someone in the past, they probably betrayed him or died. As such he had no trust in anyone, and his literal care for humans diminished.

So think about going 15 or 16 years fighting demons and everyone you think you can trust is out to get you or will double-cross you. How could one suddenly expect any trust out of some random hooded girl with a past like that.

But Dante took a gamble since he had no other choice in the matter, and went with her to meet Vergil. Again, the trust issues make it difficult for Dante to even consider working with them to the point that he believes it's all crap. Dante's arrogance and ignorance comes from the deteriorating disinterest in humanity since humanity screwed him over many times before.

Now for this, I wish NT had delved deeper into this so that we could get a feel for why he's such a bastard. The most we got out of it was him saying "he had trust issues" and in that flashback sequence where he says "when the people you're suppose to trust most turn out to be demon scum, your eyes really do open up to evil everywhere."

So he finally goes into his old home and discovers just what kind of up bringing he had. He actually found out he had a family that was ripped from him. There were people who loved him; something he hadn't had in almost 15 years. It was a very eye-opening experience for Dante that there was actual love for him. But he was also angry that it was taken from him by Mundus. Thus, this was what made him realize that he could trust his brother because, well, he's his brother, and that this cause he was creating was something Dante wanted to get behind solely for vengeance.

It wasn't until the journey started that Dante saw the struggles of humanity and had a conscience for human life. The time he spent with Kat as she began to open up about her life with the demons, along with the struggles humans were going through that they sadly had no idea of, made Dante realize that all those double-crosses and such may not have ALL been out of hatred for him, but because of the demons. It's after Kat told Dante of her abuse to the demons that Dante decided he would make the world right again for Kat, and the humans who suffered like her. It's the reason why, during the 7th mission on his way to Barbas, that he looks up at the trapped souls and mutters "poor bastards".

The thing about this growth is that it didn't really bleed through in the game's story that well upon initial playthrough, so a lot of people judged Dante as not growing at all in DmC. I say it's a matter of not paying attention on the player's side, but also I put some blame on NT's side for not really going more in-depth for how Dante was seeing the world.

So anyway, this conscience slowly began to bleed into demons as he met Phineas. After having faith in humans again, he believed that only demons were evil because of what Kat went through and everything the demons have done to humans. However he meets Phineas, who helps him, and this changes everything for Dante without even him possibly realizing it. Because of this one demon who helped him and explained Dante's history to him a little better, he began to see that not all demons were as evil as he thought...then he gets told to kill this baby demon. Now Dante is on the fence about taking any life. Especially a baby's life; demon or otherwise.

This is why he wanted to talk Vergil out of spilling unnecessary blood. He didn't want to kill Lilith for fear of killing the child. He was even willing to let Lilith live and give her a chance to escape when it was all over to Mundus again. The Dante from the beginning of the game would never do that.

So after Lilith did get killed, Dante was devastated and disappointed in Vergil. There's an interesting parallel of Dante slowly becoming the protector of all life and humanity like Vergil was at the beginning near the end, while Vergil became the uncaring, arrogant one like Dante at the beginning near the end. Just something I noticed.

So for the rest of the game, Dante kept himself as someone not after revenge anymore, but instead after the freedom of humanity. Unfortunately, Vergil didn't seem to pay attention to Dante's growth, but instead only focused on his willingness to follow him in his plans for Nephlim domination. Dante has seen what happens to someone of higher power ruling humans due to being exposed to it. Vergil didn't see any of that torture going on behind the scenes as Dante did due to different backgrounds, thus why Dante saw it as humans being free, while Vergil saw it as humans needing better guidance. Thus one of the reasons for their fight.

All in all; Dante's growth in DmC is definitely there, however it just didn't show enough for people to get a clear look at it in my opinion.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
@DragonMaster2010
That is an opinion I can actually respect.

I want to ask you this, btw.

You know, throughout DmC, Vergil was pretty much assuming that Dante and Kat (and pretty much all of the Order) would be okay with his world domination goal, but as we all know, Dante opposed. How do you think the Dante from the beginning of the game would have reacted if Vergil had spelled it out at their first meeting?

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
@DragonMaster2010
That is an opinion I can actually respect. I want to ask you this, btw.

You know, throughout DmC, Vergil was pretty much assuming that Dante and Kat (and pretty much all of the Order) would be okay with his world domination goal, but as we all know, Dante opposed. How do you think the Dante from the beginning of the game would have reacted if Vergil had spelled it out at their first meeting?

I think the Dante at the beginning wouldn't even want to join Vergil. I believe the scenario would play out like in DMC3: Dante not giving a damn about Vergil has planned and just saying "screw it; If he does something bad, I'mma fight 'em."

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
I think the Dante at the beginning wouldn't even want to join Vergil. I believe the scenario would play out like in DMC3: Dante not giving a damn about Vergil has planned and just saying "screw it; If he does something bad, I'mma fight 'em."

Yeah what I thought your answer was gonna be.

Also, talk about character development, eh? Look at yours. You have outgrown your biases towards DmC and against DMC3 and are now more detached and objective, and not in denial. Who wrote you, buddy? :wink:

Director Bison

King of Games
Premium Elite
Premium
i'm gonna ask, what's the video gonna be about? dante's character development in the game? analysis why it's so split among fans, or do you want to bridge fans?

kind of all three of those things

it's not that i want people to like DmC or hate it

i just want us all to understand one another better

idealist i know but i want to try

i'm am going to go into detail about the gameplay as well but i think the hardest topic is going to be Dante himself

that's why i need different opinions on him

i'm already biased
it's hard for me to view him in a positive light since he left a really bad first impression on me

@Foxtrot94 @DragonMaster2010 @WolfOD64 @LordOfDarkness

also do any of you guys mind if i basicly qoute you word for word cus this is all really good stuff
ill give you credit if you want
or ill leave your name out if you would rather i do that in stead

Last edited:

AgentRedgrave

Legendary Devil Hunter
kind of all three of those things

it's not that i want people to like DmC or hate it

i just want us all to understand one another better

idealist i know but i want to try

i'm am going to go into detail about the gameplay as well but i think the hardest topic is going to be Dante himself

that's why i need different opinions on him

i'm already biased it hard for me to view him in a positive light since he left a really bad first impression on me

@Foxtrot94 @DragonMaster2010 @WolfOD64 @LordOfDarkness

also do any of you guys mind if i basicly qoute you word for word cus this is all really good stuff
ill give you credit if you want
or ill leave your name out if you would rather i do that in stead
Sure go ahead

berto

I Saw the Devil
Well...

I think Dante with small m's change in character can really be pinned down to mission 2. Watching the first and last cut scenes of that mission pretty much show the entirety of his change of heart so while people like to point out that he only cared near the end, well, it's actually not so. His change from I don't care to I care can pretty much be pinned to missions 2 and 3. The whole 'I don't give a s***' attitude can pretty much be bound to mission 1 and 2 cutscenes on mission 2, and while I don't like him either it's only fair to keep the facts straight and since I've heard this argument a few times I thought I'd point that out.

As for the rest of his development the cutscenes are clearly marked; the talk with Vergil in mission 3, the car ride with Kat, the 'I'm saving Kat' scene, the 'I just knew I wasn't crazy' scene, the 'Kat saved us' scene, 'I don't know who I am,' and the Kat gets her ass kicked by the clearly normal cops who don't act like comic book villains. These are the scenes where Dante's character either progresses, is been presented to the viewer so he/she can learn more about him, or is been portrayed as heroic or benevolent a the protagonist. As to the strength, quality or efficiency of the scenes, or even how they function as a whole, that's up to you, but those are the scenes that qualify as development, as far as I can tell.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
I think Dante with small m's change in character can really be pinned down to mission 2.

You know, that's a point that's shared by many, that Mission 2 was kind of bit too much of a 180 turn and I can see why. Agreed with the rest too.

absolitude

the devil is not as black as he painted
well the best thing to understand DmC is that it's built around simplicity, that's the keyword, which lead others to think as generic.

the simple design on dante --and rebellion, it's more modern with hook, trigger and all, but overall it's design is simple, the simple mechanic, simple plot and story.. even compared to DMC4, DmC is more simple story-wise, that's why for me it's very graspable and relatable.. .. what makes it different is that it's told better imo..

so others have told about how much dante is an anti social, selfish, and 'i don't care' he stated it himself, "i work alone, trust issue, those kinds of thing"

for his character development, and the things that stands out most for me, Kat really is the bridge here.. there's a simple -again- scene with the egg timer, he cuts off Kat from explaining more about how it works saying "you twist, i jump", for me that's the point where he's starting to trust others, you can even see dante's expression --a plus for NT's games-- thru out the whole egg timer conversation..

and again when Kat was kidnapped, he started to show that he actually cared

in the final mission, again he brought her up, "a human, Kat", when vergil is basically close his eyes off Kat's role in the effort

as i stated many times, in the end, starting as a loner, he ended up a lost soul, "i don't know who i am anymore" i actually felt sorry for DmC dante's character journey, that i think he's a tragic character..

1. a loner, don't know his past
2. met with people who knows his past, learns his past, motivated
3. have friends --yayyy--, learns to trust
4. works together, learns to care
5. high five with bro
6. almost a happy ending
7. jerk vergil messed it up
8. looses trust to the brother whom showed him who he is and what he is, everything, looses that brother
9. don't know who he is anymore, i imagine devastated
10. taps Kat's ass *ruined
11. DmC 2 not confirmed

anyway, i think it's important to note that the game is all about simplicity, like a quote on somebody's sig, "a simple story well told is better than something something.. i forgot"

AgentRedgrave

Legendary Devil Hunter
You know, that's a point that's shared by many, that Mission 2 was kind of bit too much of a 180 turn and I can see why. Agreed with the rest too.
Not that it's not understandable though, he just found out the guy trying to recruit him was his brother, for someone living in the streets his whole life fighting demons, I can understand wanting to join up with who may (turns out is) be your only remaining family

Last edited:

UncannyGarlic

Well...

I think Dante with small m's change in character can really be pinned down to mission 2. Watching the first and last cut scenes of that mission pretty much show the entirety of his change of heart so while people like to point out that he only cared near the end, well, it's actually not so. His change from I don't care to I care can pretty much be pinned to missions 2 and 3. The whole 'I don't give a s***' attitude can pretty much be bound to mission 1 and 2 cutscenes on mission 2, and while I don't like him either it's only fair to keep the facts straight and since I've heard this argument a few times I thought I'd point that out.
I finally got around to playing DmC and I noticed this aswell. I like that Dante changes and I do think that there are some good development scenes but the change in personality was abrupt. I had a "wait a minute" moment when he was just suddenly empathizing with Kat. Don't get me wrong, I welcomed being rid of the jerk at the start but they should have had his jerkiness ease with each encounter with Kat instead of just disappearing the moment she started to open up.

That all said, DmC has more character building moments for Dante than I remember in any previous game, irrespective to writing quality. This really shouldn't be a surprise though, DmC is a character story driven game, often to its detriment, whereas the older games were action driven, with story scenes to support that theme, nor impede it. The cultural differences in storytelling and current trends in storytelling is also very clear.

Top Bottom