• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

XIII the last 'traditional' FF game?

aka958

Don't trust people
Meg;293672 said:
That's not what I meant. From what we know Versus XIII's will be more action oriented, not turn based or with an ATB system.

But it's a spin off.

It's like Final Fantasy Tactics how it is different or Crisis Core or Dirge of Cerberus or Chocobo Dungeon. :p

Chocobo Dungeon's soundtrack = epic btw.

Meg

aka958;293697 said:
But it's a spin off.

It's like Final Fantasy Tactics how it is different or Crisis Core or Dirge of Cerberus or Chocobo Dungeon. :p

Chocobo Dungeon's soundtrack = epic btw.

I am aware that its a spin off. Esura proposed the idea that future FF games will be action games and I asked if he meant like how Versus XIII emphasizes action.

aka958

Don't trust people
Meg;293706 said:
I am aware that its a spin off. Esura proposed the idea that future FF games will be action games and I asked if he meant like how Versus XIII emphasizes action.

Then we get the huge surprise that future FF games will be racing games. XD

Meg

aka958;293707 said:
Then we get the huge surprise that future FF games will be racing games. XD

XD There's an idea!

Or shooters even. How stupid would that be?

aka958

Don't trust people
Meg;293708 said:
XD There's an idea!

Or shooters even. How stupid would that be?

Uhh... yeah... since shooters is right behind WoW on my hate list, and WoW is on top of it.
I would be very disappoint. ._.

Meg

Oh gosh. I like some shooters, buuuut I don't need Final Fantasy XV: Future Warfare.

aka958

Don't trust people
Meg;293722 said:
Oh gosh. I like some shooters, buuuut I don't need Final Fantasy XV: Future Warfare.

Don't forget Final Fantasy XVI: Future Warfare 2, which somehow counts as both a sequel to the main entries of the game and a spin off to Final Fantasy XV: Future Warfare. :p

Meg

You might be on to something there.

EDIT: Just realized ow off topic this is. XD

wallE156

The Devil's Advocate
Maybe they are implying that all FF's are gonna be like Kingdom Hearts. (which is what I think Versus XIII is gonna be like, I think I've read that somewhere...idk)

Esura

Your breasts are illegal!!
Meg;293653 said:
^ You mean like it would take a more action game oriented approach like Versus XIII?
Yeah. Vocal members of the fanbase were iffed at FFXII and its extreme openness and even more iffed at FFXIII and its extreme linearity. Its a Catch 22 for Square Enix. They damned if they do, damned if they dont so really, they should just keep trying to make new experiences like they've been doing than trying to appease the fickle fanbase who will whine and moan that the new FF game isnt like their precious favorites *cough*FFVI*cough*FFVII*cough*

Meg;293728 said:
You might be on to something there.

EDIT: Just realized ow off topic this is. XD
I dont think no one cares at this point :lol:

wallE156

The Devil's Advocate
aka958;293628 said:
Just going to disagree or are you going to back it up with some arguments to why?

Turns does not have to be equal, not even close to it. You simply wait for your turn with the ATB filling up, you can't just mash away. ATB gives more strategy than what the battle systems of FF-FFIII does as well, such as haste and slow playing much more bigger parts.

Turn based, with time as a factor. It could as be turn based were time isn't a pressure and the bars are replaced with an order. If you only count FFX as turn based because of it having order then you are against FF-FFIII being turn based because they go for a special order after you have choosen everyone's moves before any of the characters or the enemy act, they all perform their attacks and the enemy perform theirs and then you choose all your attacks again. With that not being turn based then Final Fantasy was never a turn based RPG in the first place and Final Fantasy has never been traditional since after Final Fantasy III.

But that is also taken in turns, since when the enemy attacks, what can you do to stop it? It is not your turn, you can just hope your stats and buffs is going to make you survive the hit. Seeing how you can't flee the attack the enemy is doing but stand and take the hit and the enemy can't do anything but the same does sound like turn based to me.

But really, turn based games are pretty vast.

There are those with ATB (FFIV, FFV, FFVI, FFVII, FFVIII, FFIX), those who you have to select everyone's moves before they perform it (FF, FFII, FFIII), those where every characters act in an order (FFX).

So, Final Fantasy never was turn based, or? Why is it so known as a turn based RPG when the most known representants of the game to the whole FF fanbase (FFIV, FFVI, FFVII, FFVIII, FFIX, FFX) all use ATB except FFX?

From rereading your post I also see that you don't know about wait. In most FF games with ATB you have the option to use the wait battle mode. That means when the ATB bar have been filled up and it's your turn and you choose any action (like magic, attack, etc) and while targeting, choosing spell, item or whatever it is you are doing every other bar stops, that counts for the enemies bars as well.

And ATB is not real time. Far from it. FFXII was close to real time, you could run away whenever you wanted and you could choose attacks at any time but it cost you time to charge the bar. Devil May Cry is real time, any game with ATB is not. What genre is ATB if it is neither real time nor turn based?
I wasn't going to back it up on here because it's not on topic with the thread but like Esura said, I doubt anyone cares at this point either lol it really depends on what you consider turn based. And no I didn't know about wait cause I think on my feet (and I have this bad habit of skipping tutorials). But ANYWAY all I was getting at while most of the fanbase considers the old FF's turn based, I don't. I consider games like chess, checkers, etc. turn based because your turn cannot be interrupted. Where as if it can I consider it real time. Btw all real time means is that everything happens at the same time with no pauses, being able to run away has nothing to do with it. Obviously, like you said if you have wait on then it's turn based but that's a choice so you can't really just say "oh see it's turn based" cause it's optional; but that goes for my argument also lol yay for contradictions. Bottom line, you consider it turn based, which is fine...and I don't, which is also fine. It doesn't really matter if you think about it. ^_^ Just wondering...I'm sensing a lot of hostility from your choice of words, did I do something wrong?? If you weren't trying to be hostile then that's my bad. But yeah, I meant no ill will towards you or anyone else.

PS It'd probably be better if you messaged me or whatever with a response so people can actually talk about this thread without scrolling through our chit chat lol

Top Bottom