• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

XIII the last 'traditional' FF game?

Meg

Tis what this article said anyway.
http://www.gamesradar.com/ps3/final...a-20101216155849665076/g-20060508175846527007

Of course, we can look back at all the great Final Fantasy characters of the past. We never forgot them, but that doesn't mean they ever got to star in their own sequel. Square Enix has also said that Final Fantasy XIII will be the last "traditional" Final Fantasy RPG, so maybe the message is a tribute to that.

What do you think this means? What's the future of FF gonna be if they aren't doing 'traditional' games anymore?

ReaperHunter

Follow me to Apex
Premium
umm im not bashing FF13 but it didnt seem like a traditional FF game ... awesome but not traditional

BlueDevil

Super Penguin Number 2
Premium
They probably mean they're going to move from standard RPGs to nothing but MMOs.

That's what I gather, at least

Esura

Your breasts are illegal!!
DarkKnight1000;293502 said:
umm im not bashing FF13 but it didnt seem like a traditional FF game ... awesome but not traditional

Well, FFXIII was traditional, just streamlined. Its like a FFX-lite sort to speak. If anything, FFXIII is more traditional than XII.

---

I dont want traditional anyways. The Final Fantasy series has always been about change. No one Final Fantasy ever truly stayed the same, and its funny that naysayers of FFXIII WANT Square to go back to their roots. What? No..give me something different :mad:

ReaperHunter

Follow me to Apex
Premium
Esura;293510 said:
Well, FFXIII was traditional, just streamlined. Its like a FFX-lite sort to speak. If anything, FFXIII is more traditional than XII.

---

I dont want traditional anyways. The Final Fantasy series has always been about change. No one Final Fantasy ever truly stayed the same, and its funny that naysayers of FFXIII WANT Square to go back to their roots. What? No..give me something different :mad:

12 didnt even feel like FF to me
I still liked it though

Richtofen

Nein, not ze puppies!
Premium
I didn't really think XIII was traditional anyways, it didn't have the battle system like you did in the other FF games. But besides that...maybe other games will follow the example of XIII battle system. MMO's really aren't SE's strong point.

Esura

Faust;293541 said:
I didn't really think XIII was traditional anyways, it didn't have the battle system like you did in the other FF games. But besides that...maybe other games will follow the example of XIII battle system. MMO's really aren't SE's strong point.
None of the Final Fantasy games have the same battle system. The only factor of the battle system that ties them all together is the fact that it is turn-based. After the fan reception of FFXII's MMO inspired battle system, they opt for a typical turn based style but thats more action oriented as the Advent Children film. All of this was stated in an older FFXIII intervew before it came out.

You could say, FFXIII is the product of FFXII's fan reception. Now it seems people are opening up to FFXII more now, but back then, fans was ragging on it alot as well despite positive sells and reviews like FFXIII.

wallE156

The Devil's Advocate
I hope they don't turn them all into MMO's...I'll lose all hope in Square-Enix if that happens.

@Esura not to get too literal or anything but the only FF I've played that was literally "turn based" was FFX. Most of the others had an "Active Time Battle System," (VII and VIII did for sure) so while it felt turn based, everything was done in real time. What I mean by real time is that you can get attacked while you are trying to choose what to do. However in FFX everyone quite literally takes turns. Ex. Say it's Tidus' turn, you could set the controller down, go do something else, come back 3 hours later and nothing will have happened. Not trying to bash/disrespect you or anything, just wanted to point that out ^_^

aka958

Don't trust people
wallE156;293546 said:
I hope they don't turn them all into MMO's...I'll lose all hope in Square-Enix if that happens.

@Esura not to get too literal or anything but the only FF I've played that was literally "turn based" was FFX. Most of the others had an "Active Time Battle System," (VII and VIII did for sure) so while it felt turn based, everything was done in real time. What I mean by real time is that you can get attacked while you are trying to choose what to do. However in FFX everyone quite literally takes turns. Ex. Say it's Tidus' turn, you could set the controller down, go do something else, come back 3 hours later and nothing will have happened. Not trying to bash/disrespect you or anything, just wanted to point that out ^_^

ATB system has been in FF games since IV and ATB counts for turn based since you simply wait for the bar to fill until you can play your turn and the same as for the enemies. It just brings a little more speed to the turn based RPG's.

To be honest, FFX lacked any overworld at all, FFXI was an MMO, FFXII was something completely different, FFXIII was a linear story focused game with a totally new perspective on the ATB.

None of those are traditional FF's. Traditional FF's are those like FFIV, FFVI, FFVII and FFIX. Those are the ones going with the systems that counts as traditional since the battle system in FF-FFIII wasn't that great to many and the ATB is so well known as an FF trademark.

wallE156

The Devil's Advocate
aka958;293555 said:
ATB system has been in FF games since IV and ATB counts for turn based since you simply wait for the bar to fill until you can play your turn and the same as for the enemies. It just brings a little more speed to the turn based RPG's.

To be honest, FFX lacked any overworld at all, FFXI was an MMO, FFXII was something completely different, FFXIII was a linear story focused game with a totally new perspective on the ATB.

None of those are traditional FF's. Traditional FF's are those like FFIV, FFVI, FFVII and FFIX. Those are the ones going with the systems that counts as traditional since the battle system in FF-FFIII wasn't that great to many and the ATB is so well known as an FF trademark.
I disagree that the ATB is considered turn based but we are all entitled to our own opinion.

aka958

Don't trust people
wallE156;293624 said:
I disagree that the ATB is considered turn based but we are all entitled to our own opinion.

Just going to disagree or are you going to back it up with some arguments to why?

Turns does not have to be equal, not even close to it. You simply wait for your turn with the ATB filling up, you can't just mash away. ATB gives more strategy than what the battle systems of FF-FFIII does as well, such as haste and slow playing much more bigger parts.

Turn based, with time as a factor. It could as be turn based were time isn't a pressure and the bars are replaced with an order. If you only count FFX as turn based because of it having order then you are against FF-FFIII being turn based because they go for a special order after you have choosen everyone's moves before any of the characters or the enemy act, they all perform their attacks and the enemy perform theirs and then you choose all your attacks again. With that not being turn based then Final Fantasy was never a turn based RPG in the first place and Final Fantasy has never been traditional since after Final Fantasy III.

But that is also taken in turns, since when the enemy attacks, what can you do to stop it? It is not your turn, you can just hope your stats and buffs is going to make you survive the hit. Seeing how you can't flee the attack the enemy is doing but stand and take the hit and the enemy can't do anything but the same does sound like turn based to me.

But really, turn based games are pretty vast.

There are those with ATB (FFIV, FFV, FFVI, FFVII, FFVIII, FFIX), those who you have to select everyone's moves before they perform it (FF, FFII, FFIII), those where every characters act in an order (FFX).

So, Final Fantasy never was turn based, or? Why is it so known as a turn based RPG when the most known representants of the game to the whole FF fanbase (FFIV, FFVI, FFVII, FFVIII, FFIX, FFX) all use ATB except FFX?

From rereading your post I also see that you don't know about wait. In most FF games with ATB you have the option to use the wait battle mode. That means when the ATB bar have been filled up and it's your turn and you choose any action (like magic, attack, etc) and while targeting, choosing spell, item or whatever it is you are doing every other bar stops, that counts for the enemies bars as well.

And ATB is not real time. Far from it. FFXII was close to real time, you could run away whenever you wanted and you could choose attacks at any time but it cost you time to charge the bar. Devil May Cry is real time, any game with ATB is not. What genre is ATB if it is neither real time nor turn based?

Richtofen

Nein, not ze puppies!
Premium
Ok, I am not sure if anyone brought this point up but what is 'traditional' about Final Fantasy? Is it the playing style? The 'Fantasy' about Final Fantasy? The characters? The setting? The gameplay? What made XIII considered the last 'traditional' game? It might be all these things, but since they are saying its the last...is it the end of the series or are the making a more 'advanced' Final Fantasy from here on end?

aka958

Don't trust people
Faust;293629 said:
Ok, I am not sure if anyone brought this point up but what is 'traditional' about Final Fantasy? Is it the playing style? The 'Fantasy' about Final Fantasy? The characters? The setting? The gameplay? What made XIII considered the last 'traditional' game? It might be all these things, but since they are saying its the last...is it the end of the series or are the making a more 'advanced' Final Fantasy from here on end?

Well, I don't see FFXIII as the last traditional game.

The only things that makes FF traditional is it's trademarks. Cid, Chocobos, Moogles, Tonberrys, weapons, Omega, Ultima, err...

THIS:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UHW9LUUYCc
Look through them all, you'll see what's the biggest trademarks are. Then also think the magic, the random encounters, weapons, items, skills, abilities, classes, and all that.

Final Fantasy always tries to make a deep plot after FFIV, either story focused or character focused. It always has good music who fits the events really good and the music plays a big part to how I feel about a Final Fantasy game.

Richtofen

Nein, not ze puppies!
Premium
aka958;293631 said:
Well, I don't see FFXIII as the last traditional game.

The only things that makes FF traditional is it's trademarks. Cid, Chocobos, Moogles, Tonberrys, weapons, Omega, Ultima, err...

THIS:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UHW9LUUYCc
Look through them all, you'll see what's the biggest trademarks are. Then also think the magic, the random encounters, weapons, items, skills, abilities, classes, and all that.

Final Fantasy always tries to make a deep plot after FFIV, either story focused or character focused. It always has good music who fits the events really good and the music plays a big part to how I feel about a Final Fantasy game.

True. But what makes Final Fantasy 'Traditional' though? That's what I am curious about...if they say it might be the end of what we've come to know in FF for so long.

aka958

Don't trust people
Faust;293633 said:
True. But what makes Final Fantasy 'Traditional' though? That's what I am curious about...if they say it might be the end of what we've come to know in FF for so long.

As I see it, I've answered. As SE sees it, I have no friggin' idea.

Esura

If the current reception to their latest FF entries, FFXII, FFXIII, and FXIV...FFXV may not even be a RPG, the common idea that holds all the current FF games together.

Meg

^ You mean like it would take a more action game oriented approach like Versus XIII?

aka958

Don't trust people
Meg;293653 said:
^ You mean like it would take a more action game oriented approach like Versus XIII?

But Versus is an RPG. :p

Final Fantasy will be the new Hack'n'Slash game. XD

Meg

aka958;293670 said:
But Versus is an RPG. :p

Final Fantasy will be the new Hack'n'Slash game. XD

That's not what I meant. From what we know Versus XIII's will be more action oriented, not turn based or with an ATB system.

Top Bottom