• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Would you say Dante is "American"?

BLACKSWIPE

"Waiting for one's arrival."
Panel 3 is real American.
usa_go_back_to_africa_go_back_to_mexico_indians.png

(Sorry, I'm 1/4 Cherokee and couldn't help making this joke)
That made my DAY! Full blooded COmanche right here!

BLACKSWIPE

I'd say Dante drinks hard, lives in a trailer near an Amusement Park, has sex with hookers (frequently), finds the need to curse in every difficult situation, and lives in a society which promotes dangerous substances in the guise of helpful and safe products.
Make of that what you will.
That can happen in any country, not just America. That sounds like every other country when you think about it! Every other nation has an area like you just described, but Norway.

Dante Redgrave

Son of Sparda
That can happen in any country, not just America. That sounds like every other country when you think about it! Every other nation has an area like you just described, but Norway.

Yeah, but we're rather well know for being a haven for the stereotype, I'm sad to admit.

BLACKSWIPE

Yeah, but we're rather well know for being a haven for the stereotype, I'm sad to admit.
Yeah, but they only make up a small percentage of all of the wonderfully nice and helpful people you can find here. This is my first year of high school and we recently got a few students from North Korea who can't speak English very well, but everyone seems to be overwhelmingly nice and helpful. Why do other countries have to pay attention to that stereotype? Where ever you go will always be a few douche bags who believe that their country is SOOO much better than everyone else.

s8ntmark

Going by accent alone then I'd say yes.

I literally have no idea what defines someone as an "American" other than their birth certificate and/or nationality status. I don't even know what the correct stereotype for an American would be either...so yeah, not much use there.

Well what I meant was in the literal sense....not what defines him. Its a sticky question since he doesn't live on "our" earth, which was the reason for the quotation marks Plus, his world looks more European...but in a literal sense, is Dante a citizen of his World's united States? Is he an American?

S.F.W

King of Hearts
You clearly missed the intro of DmC where he had both.
Oh yea, I forgot about that . That scene was was awesome.
True, that's why I said make of that what you will. But America is so very stereotypical that people honestly don't care anymore, and some embrace it just to be like that.

788Masri

I'm just some guy who really like Devil May Cry
this Dante is as american as much as old Dante was Japanese

Oh yea, I forgot about that . That scene was was awesome.

True, that's why I said make of that what you will. But America is so very stereotypical that people honestly don't care anymore, and some embrace it just to be like that.

nothing to do with your post but code geass = all the feels

s8ntmark

this Dante is as american as much as old Dante was Japanese

True, but was old Dante meant to be an American? I thought I read somewhere he was designed to represent the Japanese idea of "American Cool". According to the original guide book I guess he is, but you are right, going back and looking at him now, he is so Japanese :D

Dante Redgrave

Son of Sparda
Yeah, but they only make up a small percentage of all of the wonderfully nice and helpful people you can find here. This is my first year of high school and we recently got a few students from North Korea who can't speak English very well, but everyone seems to be overwhelmingly nice and helpful. Why do other countries have to pay attention to that stereotype? Where ever you go will always be a few douche bags who believe that their country is SOOO much better than everyone else.

...because the French try to make us look more arrogant than they are?

I kid, I kid...I just showed my Isles roots there. It really is just the people that like to rag on teh US look at the visible minority and use that as the image to stereotype us all as. Either as a bunch of slackoff couchpotatos all wanting welfare, or gun slinging beer swilling Cowboys...or a mix in between. Sadly this stereotype HAS some basis, but every nation really has that one for it; bad image from a visible minority becomes the image everyone throws on over you.

Well what I meant was in the literal sense....not what defines him. Its a sticky question since he doesn't live on "our" earth, which was the reason for the quotation marks Plus, his world looks more European...but in a literal sense, is Dante a citizen of his World's united States? Is he an American?

I'd say yes, even with the Union Jack; it's a homage to the dev's roots and the roots of the original Punk movement, Dante's still American and intended as so. Limbo City is very much a analogue for New York or another major American city.

s8ntmark

Dante's always been American(and from indications given by Bayonetta's map of travel, somewhere in the east coast, though the Anime's Capulett City resembled San Jose in California). The first game's manuel described him as an American mercenary and even noted he was "a mercenary in America". and the anime showed him stocking Budweiser beer. I think NT even commented that while Limbo City does resemble London a bit, it was also based on the skylines of New York. And Yeah, Silver Sacks/Goldman and Raptor News/Fox News...

oh yeah! I was just looking at the HD Collection's manual and Dante is described as a "freelance underground mercenary in modern America". Mystery solved, I guess :D

Blacknerd

Just imagine it guys what if they decided to make Dante black in the DmC reboot. I wonder how much more ****ed off people would have been.

Tmfaria

Member of the Order
The dialogue for the game seems very American.

However, the noticeable UK flag on the arm of Dante's jacket states otherwise. Also, Ninja Theory happens to be a UK based gaming company so, maybe/maybe not?

s8ntmark

I'd say yes, even with the Union Jack; it's a homage to the dev's roots and the roots of the original Punk movement, Dante's still American and intended as so. Limbo City is very much a analogue for New York or another major American city.

Yeah I've pretty much considered Limbo City (Like Gotham or Metropolis) to be a fictional American city that just happens to have VERY European architecture :D

And Dante can wear a union Jack if he wants, its his Constitutional right as a 'merican to do so! L0L XD

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
oh yeah! I was just looking at the HD Collection's manual and Dante is described as a "freelance underground mercenary in modern America". Mystery solved, I guess :D

Modern America? Sure about that? Cause I see a lot of things in DMC that I would expect to see in the 90s. With DmC it's 2011 at best.

Just imagine it guys what if they decided to make Dante black in the DmC reboot. I wonder how much more ****ed off people would have been.
His pants would sag, he'd have gold in his mouth, He'd be a rapper on the side, rap music would be the soundtrack, and he'd be a terrible shot.

Dante Redgrave

Son of Sparda
The dialogue for the game seems very American.

However, the noticeable UK flag on the arm of Dante's jacket states otherwise. Also, Ninja Theory happens to be a UK based gaming company so, maybe/maybe not?
I think an NT interview confirmed that the Union jack was a homage to their cambridge office and the Punk movement original in London, not a sign of nationality for Dante since everyone speaks in very intentionally north American flavored accents. The fact that Mundus was even blackmailing teh president with "collapsing the economy" pretty much said that Limbo City is a major US metropolitan

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
I'd say Dante drinks hard, lives in a trailer near an Amusement Park, has sex with hookers (frequently), finds the need to curse in every difficult situation, and lives in a society which promotes dangerous substances in the guise of helpful and safe products.
Make of that what you will.
It could be anywhere then.

Top Bottom