• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Would you say Dante is "American"?

s8ntmark

or whatever passes for "American" on his world. Even though his world is very European looking, its always seemed like Dante is meant to be an American character....and DmC's Dante and world even more so...but America in an alternate dimension...

opinions?

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
Yep, America for sure. Plus the whole Fox/Raptor news and Silver Sacks/Goldman and sachs comparisons points to American too.

BLACKSWIPE

"Waiting for one's arrival."
To be honest, I have to kinda say yes? He has a way of speaking that is very American-ish and not to mention Raptor news, which highly resembles fox news. Though that doesn't change the fact that Dante was basically branded by NT, that little British flag on his arm. So who knows?

Dante Redgrave

Son of Sparda
Dante's always been American(and from indications given by Bayonetta's map of travel, somewhere in the east coast, though the Anime's Capulett City resembled San Jose in California). The first game's manuel described him as an American mercenary and even noted he was "a mercenary in America". and the anime showed him stocking Budweiser beer. I think NT even commented that while Limbo City does resemble London a bit, it was also based on the skylines of New York. And Yeah, Silver Sacks/Goldman and Raptor News/Fox News...

Macabre

Your Friend and Mine
He's as American as road apple pie.

I always get irritated whenever I see the Union Jack on his arm. I know it's meant to be a label for the fact that he's the product of a British studio (Thanks for making us all look bad NT. No really), but the other thing the devs allude to is that it's supposed to infer his connection to the British Punk scene. Except for the fact that he doesn't dress like a British Punk. Or talk like one. Or act like one. Or have a soundtrack based on Brit Punk. You know, something like this:

Instead we have Wubstep, which has as much to do with the theme of Rebellion as Vergil has to do with guns.

Every time I look at him I get irritated on another level. He's a matryoshka doll of inanity.

mrrandomlulz

Monsuuuta moonssuta mo mo mo mo monsuuta
Dante doesn't look too obese.

- an American.

But tell the truth, I couldn't really care less what this Dante's nationality is, fact is, he is obviously Asian, because do you know how rare it is to find a white guy with naturally black hair.

Then again, going by that logic, DMC3 Dante was an old man,

Hold on let me think about this

Angel

Is not rat, is hamster
Admin
Going by accent alone then I'd say yes.

I literally have no idea what defines someone as an "American" other than their birth certificate and/or nationality status. I don't even know what the correct stereotype for an American would be either...so yeah, not much use there.

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
I'd say yes. But not a stereotypical american which are considered loud blond haired blue eyes douchebags who eat hamburgers, and are constantly looking out to be better then everyone else.
tumblr_mdldctwbdd1rokowt.jpg
:troll:

But really I think Dante's part American, part British, and part Mexican. I don't know he has that cholo vibe to him.

Dante Redgrave

Son of Sparda
American is a nationality, so unless you're a duel citizen, which he wouldn't be, you can't be "part american, part(insert nother nationality)". It's likely due to name and ho wmuch it's onvolved, his CULTURAL heratige is probably a mix of mid-western US and Italian, possibly english though if you count in his alias of TonyY Redgrave, as THAT family is an old English acting dynasty, from which Liam Nieson holds relation.

MyNameIsDante

Dante's always been American(and from indications given by Bayonetta's map of travel, somewhere in the east coast, though the Anime's Capulett City resembled San Jose in California). The first game's manuel described him as an American mercenary and even noted he was "a mercenary in America". and the anime showed him stocking Budweiser beer. I think NT even commented that while Limbo City does resemble London a bit, it was also based on the skylines of New York. And Yeah, Silver Sacks/Goldman and Raptor News/Fox News...
How did I not notice that the anime took place in my city........

S.F.W

King of Hearts
I'd say Dante drinks hard, lives in a trailer near an Amusement Park, has sex with hookers (frequently), finds the need to curse in every difficult situation, and lives in a society which promotes dangerous substances in the guise of helpful and safe products.
Make of that what you will.

Dante Redgrave

Son of Sparda
I'd say Dante drinks hard, lives in a trailer near an Amusement Park, has sex with hookers (frequently), finds the need to curse in every difficult situation, and lives in a society which promotes dangerous substances in the guise of helpful and safe products.
Make of that what you will.
Dante holding a budweiser in one hand, and a slice o' Chicago deepdish in the other while wearing F**king chaps and western boots; "'Merika!"

Dante Redgrave

Son of Sparda
I almost wann'a ask someone to retexture DmC!Dante to have a stars and stripes on his sleeve instead of the black and white union jack, just to be a smartass.

Blacknerd

By American Id say more on the lines of an American Action hero. There is no definition of a typical american. There are the many stereotypes as listed above. However yea I find him more like an american action hero from the mid 90s. More anti hero than anything.

Leaning more towards I would say Al Simmons aka Spawn type of anti hero and slowly evolving into something more.

S.F.W

King of Hearts
Dante can't really catch the Murican spirit until he has a beer in one hand and a tit in the other.

Top Bottom