• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Would you rather be living in the purge or a zombie outbreak?

KRSkull

So i just saw the The Purge 2013 and that question popped into my head.

Personally to me i will choose to live in a world infested by zombies. because in a purge i won't be able to trust anyone with my life since some people will hold a grudge for not text them or not saying hi back when they say hi to you.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
The Purge has to be one of the stupidest concepts I have ever seen. What makes that movie so bad it how it plays it up so seriously like it could actually happen instead of being a black comedy social satire or maybe even a movie that actually explores some potential the screenplay could have brought.

Instead, people live in practically a utopia because they're able to get their psychopathic rocks off for a night? LOL right.

And on the off chance to craft a possibly decent film, why not dive in to the more interesting stuff that could have happened in The Purge? Murder is not the only crime out there. A day that's free of all crime. Think about that for a sec just ignoring how stupid the premise is in the first place.

Do only big corporations exist because they are the only ones who can afford the defenses to protect their stock? What about black marketers? Hackers? Terrorist groups? Crazy ****ing scientist able ignore all that human right mumbo jumbo? Any other f#cking crime besides killing and stealing.

Alright, I'll calm down on my rant. I just really hated that freaking movie lol.

As for a zombie apocalypse, I don't see it lasting very long and being as successful as one might think. Unless we're talking about 28 Days Later or something. That's a different story and the zombie outbreak I'd actually be freaked out about. Because they have the worst kind of zombies, the fast kind.

I honestly wouldn't be able to handle either. Either way I know I'd be screwed. And as an FYI, zombies are one of my greatest fears, especially ones that can run.
What's so scary about zombies to you? Quite frankly, I don't know many people actually afraid of them.

And hey, if it counts for anything, corpses walking around couldn't ever really happen. I'm about to ruin zombies for you guys. Without a functioning circulatory system pumping some oxygenated blood throughout the body, the body would succumb to rigor mortis. They wouldn't be able to get up let alone walk around trying to eat people.

SCIENCE! :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:

Pale Rider

Wickedly good
I honestly wouldn't be able to handle either. Either way I know I'd be screwed. And as an FYI, zombies are one of my greatest fears, especially ones that can run.

Ha ha!! I see what you mean. Recently saw World War Z and that massive horde of unstoppable running zombies tumbling down everything in their path like a Tsunami did look scary.

On topic, I'd take zombie apocalypse because I'll get an extra life (hey, I'm a gamer xD). First kill as many zombies as possible as a human and then kill as many humans as possible as a zombie. Who knows, I may get a S rank! xD

KRSkull

The Purge has to be one of the stupidest concepts I have ever seen. What makes that movie so bad it how it plays it up so seriously like it could actually happen instead of being a black comedy social satire or maybe even a movie that actually explores some potential the screenplay could have brought.

Instead, people live in practically a utopia because they're able to get their psychopathic rocks off for a night? LOL right.

And on the off chance to craft a possibly decent film, why not dive in to the more interesting stuff that could have happened in The Purge? Murder is not the only crime out there. A day that's free of all crime. Think about that for a sec just ignoring how stupid the premise is in the first place.

Do only big corporations exist because they are the only ones who can afford the defenses to protect their stock? What about black marketers? Hackers? Terrorist groups? Crazy ****ing scientist able ignore all that human right mumbo jumbo? Any other f#cking crime besides killing and stealing.

The purge is as real as you and me. and its happening every day.

What's so scary about zombies to you? Quite frankly, I don't know many people actually afraid of them.

And hey, if it counts for anything, corpses walking around couldn't ever really happen. I'm about to ruin zombies for you guys. Without a functioning circulatory system pumping some oxygenated blood throughout the body, the body would succumb to rigor mortis. They wouldn't be able to get up let alone walk around trying to eat people.

SCIENCE! :thumbsup:

Actually it can because its like many viruses, it makes contact with a cell's membrane, it inserts its genetic coding into the cell. The cell absorbs the viral genome into its own genetic make-up, which takes over the cell's functions. The cell begins to produce offspring of the original virus. The new viruses are then released from the host cell and infect the neighbouring cells, which starts the process all over again.

The virus kills and replaces mitochondrial organelles with a replica of itself. The virus then combines with other cells to produce energy. The energy produced is just enough to power the motor neurons and the basic lower brain functions.

Dante's Stalker

"Outrun this!"
Premium
Supporter 2014
I'd rather face off with a zombie around the corner than go back to South Africa, thank you verrrry much.

The Purge is pretty much on par with my home country, except that there are murders, burglaries, looting of banks and supermarkets, kidnapping kids, rapes and blackmails happening in broad daylight, for no other reason than they can so they will and they'll get away with it, too. The electric fences and iron fences are up 24/7, the burglar bars are screwed into the walls at the windows and never come off, and if you're lucky, you'll have at least one, or two, more doors inside your home that you can lock at night to keep the sleeping area cut off from the rest of the house in case it does get broken into at night. The Purge is a fantasy. A very twisted, stupid, and unrealistic fantasy. Life teaches that you can never just give a hand - you give a hand, they want the other hand too, and then they'll pull in your arms as well.

Zombies, I can deal with. People.... I think I've had enough of the self-righteous, selfish lot of them. I'd have to restrain myself from doing worse than tranquilize them.

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
I don't know, because a zombie apocalypse would just bring about a 'purge' anyway. I mean, you have everybody freaking out and just trying to survive. And that would be what life would become like. How would anybody do their job? How would things run? Community, society (call it what you will) would collapse. Therefore all laws that would usually apply, would not, hence a 'purge'.

If you needed food, drink, general supplies or whatever. You'd get them at the risk of your own safety. But you'd still try to get them just to keep living. It would make laws and money obsolete.

You could kill another person during the zombie apocalypse and get away with it. Who is going to be checking up on things? Nobody. Everybody would be too sick with fear to realise that you just murdered Dave because you didn't like him. No offense Dave.

I would just take zombie apocalypse. And just hope that throughout it I could trust others.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
I'd though the zombie outbreak, I could just cut zombies to pieces with my katana. :3
I don't see a Katana being as effective weapon as some people would think. If I could get my hands on it, my choice for melee would be a Shaolin Spade.
http://www.shaolinwolf.com/bilder/weapons/weapon10monksspade.jpg

I don't know, because a zombie apocalypse would just bring about a 'purge' anyway. I mean, you have everybody freaking out and just trying to survive. And that would be what life would become like. How would anybody do their job? How would things run? Community, society (call it what you will) would collapse. Therefore all laws that would usually apply, would not, hence a 'purge'.

If you needed food, drink, general supplies or whatever. You'd get them at the risk of your own safety. But you'd still try to get them just to keep living. It would make laws and money obsolete.

You could kill another person during the zombie apocalypse and get away with it. Who is going to be checking up on things? Nobody. Everybody would be too sick with fear to realise that you just murdered Dave because you didn't like him. No offense Dave.

I would just take zombie apocalypse. And just hope that throughout it I could trust others.
With a zombie outbreak, I don't see it being very successful, but if the world turned in to The Walking Dead then no telling how long it would last or if it would every truly get back to normal.

In that crappy Purge movie it just lasted a night. That's why at the end they had their neighbors who we all were just broadcasting in the first 10 minutes of that movie they would be looking to kill them that night, just to wait it out until morning and.....let them go. Because everything's back to normal? Lol this movie is SOOOOOO Stupid.

Hey, sun's up and no more free crime. Purge is over, see you at the community BBQ. I mean, if I heard all order would cease to exist for a day then to me that sounds like a good time to take a vacation. Or maybe just move out of that retarded country.

Last edited by a moderator:

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
If they were slow zombies, I'd be fine with an outbreak. I think I could deal with that. Fast zombies on the other hand...then I'd rather go for a scenario like The Purge.
For that, I guess I'd just get a load of security, invite friends round for the night and not leave the house. It'd be like a slumber party with crime and weird stuff going on all around us. And if anyone did get in to cause trouble, then I'd kill them first.
But that kind of scenario is silly anyway. People in real life, if they want to commit a crime, they'll do it anyway and won't wait for a specific time to do it.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
But that kind of scenario is silly anyway. People in real life, if they want to commit a crime, they'll do it anyway and won't wait for a specific time to do it.
I know right? Lol. Criminals don't play by the rules of society. It's why they're freaking criminals. Like setting aside one day to go nuts would really stop crime for the rest of the time. The movie is so dead serious about the whole thing though.

I think something like the Purge could potentially be a decent story. Think if someone like George Orwell tackled it.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
I don't see a Katana being as effective weapon as some people would think. If I could get my hands on it, my choice for melee would be a Shaolin Spade.
http://www.shaolinwolf.com/bilder/weapons/weapon10monksspade.jpg

It is effective, on condition that you know how to use it properly (katanas can be as dangerous to the inexperienced user as to the opponent) and that it's an actual Japanese made katana, forged by their traditional method (those kind of blades are hardly to be found anymore, just a few remain and they cost A LOT), which grants it an unmatched sharpness. This is why katanas (the ancient ones, as I said) are considered one of the deadliest (if not the deadliest) swords in human history. They can cut a healthy man in half in a single swing with relative ease, imagine what they could do to a rotting pile of meat like zombies... LOL I would pay to see it!
Shaolin weapons are quite tricky as well, I like the Spade!

Going back to the original question... well, I would prefer a Purge. To me, better to deal with a great danger one night a year, rather than every day of my life.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
It is effective, on condition that you know how to use it properly (katanas can be as dangerous to the inexperienced user as to the opponent) and that it's an actual Japanese made katana, forged by their traditional method (those kind of blades are hardly to be found anymore, just a few remain and they cost A LOT), which grants it an unmatched sharpness. This is why katanas (the ancient ones, as I said) are considered one of the deadliest (if not the deadliest) swords in human history. They can cut a healthy man in half in a single swing with relative ease, imagine what they could do to a rotting pile of meat like zombies... LOL I would pay to see it!
Shaolin weapons are quite tricky as well, I like the Spade!

Going back to the original question... well, I would prefer a Purge. To me, better to deal with a great danger one night a year, rather than every day of my life.
I know the history on Katana swords and how sharp and effective they are. The way Katana's are forged are what makes them so dangerous with its rapid heating and cooling. However, when thinking of a zombie attack not everyone can be Michonne and I just think a ranged weapon would be better. Especially one that cover a bit of distance while also keeping you safe.

Zombies one on one and 5 year old could take down. They're bumbling mindless creatures walking right in to your weapon. But the biggest threat that comes from zombies is how they can overwhelm you. Even slow zombies become scary when that happens especially since you don't want to be even experience a minor injury at the hands of them. Because that could be a death sentence all its on due to the virus.

Which is why something like a Shalin Spade in the long run would be the better weapon. With both ends being deadly and useful, it can protect you all around and the length will allow breathing room keeping some distance between you and the hungry undead.

So, yea. When you get down to it. A Katana would be just as good as any object and a really good conditioned blade would go through stuff like a hot knife through butter. But think realistically and what the question is. It's how you would fare against zombies. Not a samurai.

Do you have the skill to wield one efficiently and if so, do you have the knowledge to keep the blade up so it stays efficient.

Even if you wouldn't have something as fancy as a Shaolin Spade, I would recommend ranged weapons like a spear or some staff crafted to clear away hordes and possible situations of facing multiple foes.

That in general sounds like the more effective weapon, no matter how well you kept a Katana's condition in. Which is what I mainly meant by a Katana's effectiveness.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
Well, a long , two-handed weapon like a Shaolin Spade would be a problem if zombies attack you in a narrow environment, like a corridor or something.
But some of your points about katanas are valid too. Truth is, unfortunately there hardly is a weapon suitable for every situation possible :/
Unless you live in Dead Rising :D

Last edited:

Chimera Khaos

Hades Leading General Commander
Kinda realised I didn't answer the question properly ^^;
So, to answer the question. If I had to live in either a purge or zombie apocalypse, physically wise it would have to be the purge.
Otherwise mentally I'd pick the zombie apocalypse.
See, here's the thing.
I'd like to be able to step outside and not have all these undead creeps moan, groan and look at me as their next meal. And know that when I close the door they'll keep pounding on it because they know someone's there.
Personally a zombie apocalypse would be extremely frightening but an adrenaline rush at the same time. Yknow, things are going crazy, everything's thrown into chaos, you can pretty much get away with anything. It's like a free for all pretty much. survival of the fittest and all that stuff.
I always joked with my cousin that I kinda wished we'd have one and then go raid all the stores and then suddenly the world just shifts back to normal, but hey, we can dream right? XD
With a purge, I guess it kind of depends what people are being purged. At least I'll know people outside won't eat me the first chance they get. Hey, they might want to kill me for reasons unknown but I think I'll take a purge over zombie outbreak any day. :p

ToCool74

"Fair" DmC Skeptic
Premium
Like others for me it would depend on what type of zombies we are talking about, if its the classic type of slow moving zombies like the ones from Night of the Living dead or The Walking Dead than I would have to choose that scenerio over the purge since slow zombies only pose a threat when in a horde or when they sneak up on you while in the purge you have to worry about maniacs coming out of the woodwork with guns shooting at you on sight.

With slow zombies you simply have to run around them for the most part if you want to avoid them or simply run up and stab them in the head to kill them, its much more difficult to take on the purgers from the purge due to them having weapons.

Now all that being said, if its the kind of zombies from 28 weeks later or Word War Z then sign me up for the Purge.

The reason being that the running zombies are not only hard to put down they are also super fast and never get tired making them pretty darn hard to kill even with a gun.

And forget about running from or around them, they are just a much more menacing threat than slow zombies are even Purgers in my honest opinion.

Top Bottom