• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Would you rather be living in the purge or a zombie outbreak?

KRSkull

Well, a long , two-handed weapon like a Shaolin Spade would be a problem if zombies attack you in a narrow environment, like a corridor or something.
But some of your points about katanas are valid too. Truth is, unfortunately there hardly is a weapon suitable for every situation possible :/
Unless you don't live in Dead Rising :D

Actually there are.

1. Three Section Nunchuck Staff.
GT_SEC007__64979.1411003137.1280.1280.jpg

2. Retractable spear like the one the Predator uses

3. gun blades (Yes they do exist)

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
Well, a long , two-handed weapon like a Shaolin Spade would be a problem if zombies attack you in a narrow environment, like a corridor or something.
But some of your points about katanas are valid too. Truth is, unfortunately there hardly is a weapon suitable for every situation possible :/
Unless you live in Dead Rising :D
It's why I would want to keep both kinds of weapons handy. In an open area, a longer ranged weapon would suffice. In a close quarters environment, I think that possible a machete or hatchet would come in handy even more than a Katana because I would want something I can swing with speed and ease especially considering a more useful jabbing motion to get quick headshots. I don't think I'd be looking to make slashes if I'm cornered.

Now you made me wonder... would a Predator survive a zombie apocalypse?
I think a Predator is more than capable of taking on a zombie.

Last edited by a moderator:

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
I think a Predator is more than capable of taking on a zombie.

Of course, but we are talking about an apocalyptic scenario. Not one zombie only, but possibly almost the entire planet. What if a horde attacks him?
I think that if a Predator can annihilate a Xenomorph hive, then he can definitely deal with a zombie pack...

Sieghart

"Plough the lilies"
The way Katana's are forged are what makes them so dangerous with its rapid heating and cooling.

And also for being folded 15 times or more. But that's mostly because the quality of Japanese during that time wasn't that good.

If i am to choose a sword i would really rather prefer a long sword than a Katana. It thrusts better and cut just as good. They are not blunt as some people seems to believe. Alas, in a zombie apocalypse i would rather also really prefer a pole arm such as a lance than a sword if it comes to melee. Pole arms have more advantage than swords due to their length and ease of use, example of being easy to retract after a thrust, then you can easily thrust again with the same amount of speed and power using your other hand as a support. It works well in a narrow space and open space. Polearms didn't dominate thousand years of warfare for nothing while swords were just sidearms, as much as people wanted to romanticize them.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
If i am to choose a sword i would really rather prefer a long sword than a Katana. It thrusts better and cut just as good.

Excuse me, but no. Due to the longsword's straight nature, and katana's curved blade, the longsword definitely thrusts better, but the katana cuts with waaay more ease. And since against zombies cutting is what counts (the only way to kill them is cutting their head off, right?) if you use swords, katanas are preferable to a longsword.
As for polearms, I would never use them in a zombie apocalypse, I would pick a weapon easier to carry and sheath.

Last edited:

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
Excuse me, but no. Due to the longsword's straight nature, and katana's curved blade, the longsword definitely thrusts better, but the katana cuts with waaay more ease. And since against zombies cutting is what counts (the only way to kill them is cutting their head off, right?) if you use swords, katanas are preferable to a longsword.
As for polearms, I would never use them in a zombie apocalypse, I would pick a weapon easier to carry and sheath.
Cutting off the head? Where did you hear or see that?

You have to hit the brain. Stabbing, shooting, whatever. Just get it in the head and damage that brain. You can cut off the head, but that zombie will still be "alive".

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium

Oh yeah on YouTube you can find tons of videos about katana vs longsword, everyone contradicting the other. I wouldn't take these kind of videos as a reliable source of infos. It's a pretty tricky comparison actually, so many variables to take into account.
I guess the only way to do this comparison right, though, would be having an actual samurai and an european knight, each with their swords crafted according to the way they were crafted in their time, facing each other. Pretty unlikely to happen, but hey I would definitely pay to see it!
But I suppose we're going off-topic here, this isn't a weapon contest thread.

Sieghart

"Plough the lilies"
Yes, indeed. A Samurai vs Knight, there will be pages of discussion about that and we will definitely go off topic.

I choose zombie apocalypse by the way. Haven't seen the Purge. Heard to my friend that it's kind of pretentious and the execution of it's ideas are bad.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
Yes, indeed. A Samurai vs Knight, there will be pages of discussion about that and we will definitely go off topic.

I choose zombie apocalypse by the way. Haven't seen the Purge. Heard to my friend that it's kind of pretentious and the execution of it's ideas are bad.

Heard the same thing, but I also heard that the sequel is done right.

KRSkull

@KRSkull
lol I forgot to ask like Duh, how does this Purge last ?
Cause if there's a timelimit then i might change my answer lol.

It kinda changes things.
A survive 24hr Purge vs An everlasting guaranteed you're gonna get turned zombie plague.

If they're both the same amount of time then YEAH i'm going for the zombie plague because humans are crafty & can be sinister.

Oh yeah i totally forgot about that part. thanks for reminding me about it.

let me re-ask that question.

Would you rather be living in a purge or a zombie outbreak?

The purge will be two days of purge (48 hours) and then one day off (24 hours). and the cycle goes on for the rest of your life.

Top Bottom