• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Why Was DMC 4's production time cut in half?

Viper

Premium
Apparently, they went over budget, and it wasn't a small budget to begin with. So, money issues. Or so I read somewhere on this forum.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
Dunno. Most likely they didn't find appropriate to spend too much time and resources on a old game rerelease.

Gel

When the going gets tough, the tough get going
Premium
And Vergil's model looks scary.They had a whole year with him and even so his appearance is not consistent.
Yeah, Capcom has some money problems too.

Anthony

THE BLUE GOD
And Vergil's model looks scary.They had a whole year with him and even so his appearance is not consistent.
Yeah, Capcom has some money problems too.
I like Vergil's appearance but theres just something off about Vergil idk what it is...

Gel

When the going gets tough, the tough get going
Premium
I like Vergil's appearance but theres just something off about Vergil idk what it is...
His eyes and his hair.My avatar was the only frame where I found him to be really human like.

Viper

Premium
Wait, are we talking about vanilla DMC4 or SE? Cause from your title I took it was the first one. If it's the second, what do you mean cut in half? Considering they probably thought it up after plan with DmC didn't go so well, and had money issues around then, they did a decent job. Sure, Vergil looks odd, but it's a decent job.

Enigma

Crimson Sentinel
Yeah, like Viper said: wut? The original DMC4's development time was cut in half to a year, but as far as I know that didn't happen with DMC4 SE.

I *think* I read (way back when) that they had to redo DMC4 because Itsuno (or whoever led the project) was not happy with the way the story turned out. So they had to scrap a lot of Dante's story, and in the end decided to just make Dante backtrack through Nero's levels.
At the moment, I can't find any interview about why DMC4 was rushed. Seems like either they wanted the fact to be buried, or it's simply been buried under more important - and more recent - info and interviews.

Last edited:

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
I don't believe this because there hasn't be any source backing up DMC 4's alleged cut development time other than fans talking about it on the forum in some arbitrary way to justify how lazy the game really is.

And even if some magical evidence does pop up, it's still no excuse to me because it doesn't change the fact how poop DMC 4 is. If a chef under cooked my food, I don't care what excuse he has, my food is still under cooked.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
Yeah, like Viper said: wut? The original DMC4's development time was cut in half to a year, but as far as I know that didn't happen with DMC4 SE.

Some time ago (couple of months maybe) I read a translation of an interview to Itsuno about SE where he said budget and time was restrained (6 months if I remember correctly).

WolfOD64

That Guy Who Hates Fox McCloud
I remember reading somewhere that after Kobayashi had pushed the development budget twice to produce all of the cutscenes for the game.

The budget for DMC4 must've been something huge, because Keiji Inafune stated that "DMC4's sales were not high enough to meet expectations"...which might've meant that the cost of the game outweighed the amount of money the game ended up making in terms of profit.

Personally, I don't care here or there what the real reason was. I got my favorite DMC game out of it, and by rebooting the series after 4's sales, I got my second favorite DMC game.

Enigma

Crimson Sentinel
Some time ago (couple of months maybe) I read a translation of an interview to Itsuno about SE where he said budget and time was restrained (6 months if I remember correctly).
Wow, that sucks. Maybe they would've had more time to put in a bigger story for Vergil, or some more extra content like costumes.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
Wow, that sucks. Maybe they would've had more time to put in a bigger story for Vergil.

And more budget too. DMC's cutscenes are pretty expensive to make, with all that motion capture. Maybe next time Dan Southworth does a Q&A on Facebook I could ask him. Maybe he won't reply but it's worth trying.

Enigma

Crimson Sentinel
To amend my previous comment: the reason why DMC4's development time was halved, was either because:

Itsuno wasn't happy with the way the story turned out, and felt it was best to have Dante backtrack through Nero's levels (I could swear I read that in an interview back then).

OR

Capcom had originally intended DMC4 to be developed for the Xbox and PS2, but with the Xbox 360's release around the end of 2005, and the PS3's EU release in 2007, decided it was best to develop it for PS3 and 360. Still, I'm not sure that would cause the development time to be cut by an entire year. After all, Capcom must've known that the 360 would be released not long after DMC3, and the PS3 would follow at the end of 2006.

Only thing I can find on the subject right now: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/103461-dmc-devil-may-cry-definitive-edition/71359229
See comment 9 by UbberDevil.

berto

I Saw the Devil
From what I've heard it was so that more resources, meaning people, time and money went to RE5. Capcom put staff and money that was meant to go to DMC4 to them so that the game would finish faster because it was RE5 that went over schedule and budget.

Enigma

Crimson Sentinel
From what I've heard it was so that more resources, meaning people, time and money went to RE5. Capcom put staff and money that was meant to go to DMC4 to them so that the game would finish faster because it was RE5 that went over schedule and budget.
Really? Wow, that would be pretty weird, you'd think they would have the budget and time for such an important title planned out really well. Do you maybe have a source? Kind of weird that so little seems to have been said on the matter... maybe it's some kind of Japanese pride thing. I don't mean that in a weird way btw, it's just that the Japanese typically care a lot about saving face.

berto

I Saw the Devil
The reason, the real reason, we have half a game will never be known. All we have are rumors, speculation, and hearsay. Capcom sure as hell will never tell us, who needs that headache, and anyone who claims they know won't have any real proof. All we have is testimony from employees who were there and I don't think that's all that readily available anymore. Seven years is a long time for things to get lost on the internet.

Top Bottom