• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Why not

InfernalOverkill

Mors Ante Infamiam
I remember people getting mad over Dante throwing Echidna's "babies" at her. They probably don't want to deal with idiots like that who will just find something to be offended by.

xMobilemux

I'll just get right to the ass kicking.
Supporter 2014
I'd love a female villain in DMC5, as long as she can keep my attention and can prove she's no joke, I don't want another Lilith in my Devil May Cry.
I also mentioned a while ago that if we have to put up with DmC2, I'd rather Trish be the anti heroine of the game, like she's got the same good intentions to save the humans or whatever, but is the hated enemy to Donte, who like Bane from TDKR can break Donte and brutally hurt him, causing Donte to at least try to be a better character.

berto

I Saw the Devil
Because then there'd be

"WHY DOES THE WOMAN HAVE TO BE THE BIGGEST BITCH?! I CALL SEXIST THAT I HAVE TO KILL A WOMAN!!"
actually, this pretty much covers it. capcom is currently tying to apeal to as large an audience as they can with every title, that means everything is standard and the standard antagonist is male. good luck getting capcom to change their policy, the best you can hope for is a tragic villaness with an evil villan to make her more sympathetic. it wouldn't be such a bad thing if they was an equal chance the genders could be reversed but you wil rarely see a purely evil female villan. i could be wrong but that is the impression i get. any way, if there is a possibility of a female antagonist i rather have one by design and not something they were forced to do to please requests for one, that would provably not help the cause.

KRSkull

actually, this pretty much covers it. capcom is currently tying to apeal to as large an audience as they can with every title, that means everything is standard and the standard antagonist is male. good luck getting capcom to change their policy, the best you can hope for is a tragic villaness with an evil villan to make her more sympathetic. it wouldn't be such a bad thing if they was an equal chance the genders could be reversed but you wil rarely see a purely evil female villan. i could be wrong but that is the impression i get. any way, if there is a possibility of a female antagonist i rather have one by design and not something they were forced to do to please requests for one, that would provably not help the cause.

There is a large audience out there that want a female antaginist. If people will think that its sexist then Lady or Trish or a new female character could be the main protaginist. Dante, Vergil and Nero could be unlockable characters.

Capcom did make a female antagonist in Resident Evil Code Veronica.

berto

I Saw the Devil
There is a large audience out there that want a female antaginist. If people will think that its sexist then Lady or Trish or a new female character could be the main protaginist. Dante, Vergil and Nero could be unlockable characters.

Capcom did make a female antagonist in Resident Evil Code Veronica.
Kamiya once commented that when he worked at Capcom they had an attitude towards not making female protagonists, they thought that male protagonists were by far more profitable and that is why he felt that he couldn't make Bayonetta when he worked there.

Adam Sorice from NinteDojo attributed this to Capcom's financially failed games like PN03 which had an all female cast.

KRSkull

Adam Sorice from NinteDojo attributed this to Capcom's financially failed games like PN03 which had an all female cast.

Well PN03 didn't fail because it had an all female cast. it failed because the development of the game was rushed.
Mikami attempted to differentiate PN03 from Devil May Cry by adding defensive and evasive maneuvers. This desire, combined with the limited development timeMikami was unsatisfied with the finished product, stating he had hoped to put "a lot more" time into its development.

Vergil'sBitch

I am Nero's Mom & Obsessed fan girl
Premium
Tbh, I've thought about it, but it's never something that's bothered me.

I can recall some 'horror' and uproar when they found out that New Vergil shot Lilith from behind in the abdomen (obviously killing both her and the 'child'). It didn't have anything to do with sexism.

I thought what Dante did with Enchidna's 'babies' was pretty cool (plus, they were eggs). It made me wish that Dante could be a professional footballer and join one of the teams that I support.

There is one thing that bothers me about DMC's women. They end up being all breast, no personality and 'sexualised'
(like Lady).

Also, can anyone remember the 'uproar' in certain areas of the gaming media when Resident Evil 5 had a 'white' man (Chris) killing (apologies if this come out wrong) 'black' people who were zombies (Resi 5 instantly classed as
RACIST!).

Personally, no matter what happens (gender of character... HAIR COLOR/STYLE etc) someone will always find something to complain about.

berto

I Saw the Devil
Well PN03 didn't fail because it had an all female cast. it failed because the development of the game was rushed.
Mikami attempted to differentiate PN03 from Devil May Cry by adding defensive and evasive maneuvers. This desire, combined with the limited development timeMikami was unsatisfied with the finished product, stating he had hoped to put "a lot more" time into its development.
Yeah but this is Capcom, they are blaming sales of RE6 on the fanbase been too old and therefore not playing games anymore. They find the oddest excuses as to why they aren't meeting sale expectations and forgo the truth altogether. It's never their design choices, their cutting corners, the budget drops, the DLC practices, or their lack of dedication to their franchises over how much money they can milk from them, it's always something else.

There will be one eventually.
I like your optimism but there is a strong possibility that there won't be any more of this game.

Reactions: V

KRSkull

they are blaming sales of RE6 on the fanbase been too old and therefore not playing games anymore.

Well they aren't lying. what they said was half of the truth. when Resident Evil 1 was released i was 11 years old. i was just a kid. now i am 28 years old a lot of people at my age are married and have kids and jobs. they have little time for Videogames.

people grow up wither they liked it or not. and when they grow up everything around them change. thair point of view, thair interests, thair personalities and thair standard.

Vergil'sBitch

I am Nero's Mom & Obsessed fan girl
Premium
Good ol' Capcom using the old "it's not our problem, it's the fans fault".

I thought Resi 6 sales were poor because those 'grown up fans' didn't think it was like the earlier games that they enjoyed (more action, not survival horror). I played Resi 6 demo (and a few other Resi games) and I found it was like that (and I'm not really a Resi fan... zombies aren't my 'thing').

AgentRedgrave

Legendary Devil Hunter
Ya know, it could work. Maybe a powerful demoness who was in-love with Sparda, and hates Dante because he's living proof that Sparda loved someone else, a human, to make matters worse (DmC dlc pretty much established Vergil will be the new big bad for the reboot series). Or maybe Mundus had a daughter and she's out to kill Dante.

berto

I Saw the Devil
Well they aren't lying. what they said was half of the truth. when Resident Evil 1 was released i was 11 years old. i was just a kid. now i am 28 years old a lot of people at my age are married and have kids and jobs. they have little time for Videogames.

people grow up wither they liked it or not. and when they grow up everything around them change. thair point of view, thair interests, thair personalities and thair standard.
That logic is still flawed, though. The people who are fans of the original aren't the only audience the game build. RE2 and 4 brought in the most fans and the other games also help increase the core fan base. To only count the fans of the original as the target audience is not solid ground for that debate.

KRSkull

That logic is still flawed, though. The people who are fans of the original aren't the only audience the game build. RE2 and 4 brought in the most fans and the other games also help increase the core fan base. To only count the fans of the original as the target audience is not solid ground for that debate.

I never said that the fans of the original are the only audience the game built. RE2 brought a lot of new fans and when RE3 came out more fans were drawn to that game. and when RE4 came out it drove a lot of people crazy and it brought double the fans of what RE2 and RE3 brought. but because of the new direction RE4 took it lost some of the fans.

The same thing is happening with Devil may Cry.

berto

I Saw the Devil
I never said that the fans of the original are the only audience the game built. RE2 brought a lot of new fans and when RE3 came out more fans were drawn to that game. and when RE4 came out it drove a lot of people crazy and it brought double the fans of what RE2 and RE3 brought.
Yes, so blaming the fanbase's age isn't a strong argument for the game's sales.

but because of the new direction RE4 took it lost some of the fans.
RE4 had, however, the decency to be a good game that didn't try to please everyone, which is the unfortunate downfall of 6.

KRSkull

Yes, so blaming the fanbase's age isn't a strong argument for the game's sales.

I agree but you cannot deny that its somewhat true.

RE4 had, however, the decency to be a good game that didn't try to please everyone, which is the unfortunate downfall of 6.

Yes RE4 was a good game i will not argure with you about that. But they could have made it better. if it was treated as a totaly new series.

AcidX_Y

Female lead antagonist don't usually work with male protagonist. Look at Uncharted 2 and 3, 2 had Lazaravich who came of as legitimately frightening and powerful, he also did his own dirty work at times and was ruthless (these traits don't necessarily work with female characters). In 3 you had Marlowe, which was just an old woman you wish would get shot and die, there was no reason for her workers to be loyal and she never did anything herself, couldn't even fight.

KRSkull

Female lead antagonist don't usually work with male protagonist. Look at Uncharted 2 and 3, 2 had Lazaravich who came of as legitimately frightening and powerful, he also did his own dirty work at times and was ruthless (these traits don't necessarily work with female characters). In 3 you had Marlowe, which was just an old woman you wish would get shot and die, there was no reason for her workers to be loyal and she never did anything herself, couldn't even fight.

That is true. but there are some female antagonist that surpassed male antagonist. Such as Dahila from Silent Hill, System Shock 1 and 2 with Shodan? Technically Shodan is an AI but spoke with a female voice and face and was very female, Portal had GLaDOS, and Bayonetta.

Top Bottom