• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Why not

V

Oldschool DMC fan
I agree but you cannot deny that its somewhat true.

How do we know it is true? Are there sales figures by age?

It *is* true fans of the original Resident Evil 1 are getting older by now, but whether that is "too old" to play games or play Resident Evil anymore is pure speculation and sounds like crap to me.

I've been with the 'old crowd' since 2001 on an RE forum that's still up and they ALL still play games. It's not like they've quit gaming because they're not 15 anymore. Sure, some of them have decided RE is not going in the direction they like but I'd say 90% of the people I know there for 10+ years still bought the new games to try them out, disappointed or no. CAPCOM reinvent the games to suit the current technology every time they bring out a new one, I know they're aiming at people who like action shooters now with RE6 so I don't even see where this idea only the original fans of the oldschool stuff are buying and playing Resident Evil games. They're aiming this stuff at the widest and younger market already with RE 5 and 6. They should try harder to make a better game than RE6 turned out to be, not blame gamer age, lol.

Last edited:

KRSkull

How do we know it is true? Are there sales figures by age?

It *is* true fans of the original Resident Evil 1 are getting older by now, but whether that is "too old" to play games or play Resident Evil anymore is pure speculation and sounds like crap to me..

Well its not 100% true. but we can't deny that approximately less than 10% gamers have stopped because they are getting old.

V

Oldschool DMC fan
You still could because I'm still approximating, and could be wrong.

CAPCOM should be replacing those with younger gamers because that's what they are tailoring their games for. If Jake and Sherry weren't made to appeal to those, along with the casual gamer and shooter mechanics, then I am a banana. They also kept in older characters lately just in case there were fans of oldschool in there, and refuse to let them die properly or ditch them in favour of new ones.

I mean, lulz at Leon with his 1990s haircut. He can't move on or be modernised because they're too bothered if they do he won't appeal to the same people anymore, yet they're trying to 'age' him as well. Is this what CAPCOM thinks orignal fans want? But they haven't been afraid to ditch survival horror for action. That's what made survival horror fans leave the series with frustration. Not age.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
Well there are some games out there that has female antagonist such as Metroid.

A giant brain in a jar doesn't count as female just because its name has a feminine word in it :tongue:

I think the biggest problem is that...this is Capcom and Devil May Cry we're talking about. It's totally doable for the next installment to have a female antagonist - the problem will be that she'll be the generic stock female antagonist, which means she'll be more conniving and scheming, rather than using brute force and magic. For her it'd all be about subterfuge and whatnot, simply because "a woman wouldn't do the same things as a man".

Hell, even take a look at Nevan, she wasn't a physical fighter, she used magic, and what little close-range attacks she had were all floaty and graceful, still no physical contact of any kind, other than trying to give Dante a smooch. Look at Lady, she used firearms and explosives to compensate for her "delicate frame". Trish broke that mold by throwing motorcycle at Dante when they first met, but then she quickly fell into using magic like any other female character. Gloria was a melee fighter, but her one scene of fighting was so sexually -charged and just...contextually idiotic, and everything she did was still floaty and graceful.

Devil May Cry isn't really good at making a gal who can break the mold. While I'd be :thumbsup: if they made a female antagonist, I know there's the grand risk that they wouldn't do anything legitimately interesting with her.

KRSkull

A giant brain in a jar doesn't count as female just because its name has a feminine word in it :tongue:

Well she was Programmed with female personality.

I think the biggest problem is that...this is Capcom and Devil May Cry we're talking about. It's totally doable for the next installment to have a female antagonist - the problem will be that she'll be the generic stock female antagonist, which means she'll be more conniving and scheming, rather than using brute force and magic. For her it'd all be about subterfuge and whatnot, simply because "a woman wouldn't do the same things as a man".

Hell, even take a look at Nevan, she wasn't a physical fighter, she used magic, and what little close-range attacks she had were all floaty and graceful, still no physical contact of any kind, other than trying to give Dante a smooch. Look at Lady, she used firearms and explosives to compensate for her "delicate frame". Trish broke that mold by throwing motorcycle at Dante when they first met, but then she quickly fell into using magic like any other female character. Gloria was a melee fighter, but her one scene of fighting was so sexually -charged and just...contextually idiotic, and everything she did was still floaty and graceful.

Devil May Cry isn't really good at making a gal who can break the mold. While I'd be :thumbsup: if they made a female antagonist, I know there's the grand risk that they wouldn't do anything legitimately interesting with her.

Well you are right. the only female in Devil may cry that use brute force and magic Even though she isn't an antagonist i can think of is Lucia.

rocketvergil

Vergil's apprentice, the successor to yamato
why is everyone so obsessed with having a female protagonist or antagonist, first it was GTA and now DMC?
Why just why?

berto

I Saw the Devil
Does anyone watch Castle?

Some spoilers for an episode ahead.

So in one episode a man is found murdered inside a pizza oven. At first they think it's one of the other pizza places that did it. Turns out the guy was a reported that was doing a piece on the pizza wars but he uncovered something more sinister in the works and it got him killed, drug trafficking. It turns out that the reporter, named Burns, ironically enough, was on the trail of a legendary criminal named Caballo (pronounced cabalo, the Italian for horse) who was more myth that fact. Stories said that he was ruthless and brutal. They find that a man who Burns thought dead had faked his own death (who was put in a barrel and burned alive as a hint of Caballo's brutality) was the one who killed him and that it was possibly he who was Caballo. They find that a heroin house and track down the real estate agent to see if she knew anything. When they get to her house they hear a scream, they knock the door down but Caballo escaped. The real estate agent confirms their suspicions, Caballo is the man they suspect and he was using her to purchase real estate properties to use for their packaging and distribution of heroin. At the end of the episode they kill the suspect but Castle and Becket start putting two and two together and realize that that man couldn't have been Caballo, that in fact the real estate agent, who they just let go, made more sense. They catch her at the elevator and begin the interrogation. She never confesses but it is made clear that she is, in fact, Caballo.

This episode was rather fun. The suspect wasn't just a pretty young woman, she was clever enough to use that fact to help her hide her identity and brutality of her nature. It's a good way to display how the gender doesn't even enter into the equation of how evil that person is, only in our perceptions of them. While it wasn't heavily touched on in the episode the viewer dismisses the woman on her acting and looks simply because, again, she is young and pretty. Never judge a book by it's cover scenario on this one.

What I mean is that a villan shouldn't be so defined by their gender. Sometimes, like here, they add something to the equation but if you make the villan female out of a demand for it, 'we need a female villan,' it might take a toll on the character. The villan should be villinious regardless of gender and that is how I think a female villan should be approached.

PS- Another great villan, Mama from Dreadd. Not defined by her gender, just her evil doings.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
why is everyone so obsessed with having a female protagonist or antagonist, first it was GTA and now DMC?
Why just why?

Because it's getting boring having dudes everywhere doing everything. It's not even a feminism thing, it's just...seriously...why aren't there more gals in lead roles that don't involve tryin' to find a man or making it in the world?

AcidX_Y

Because it's getting boring having dudes everywhere doing everything. It's not even a feminism thing, it's just...seriously...why aren't there more gals in lead roles that don't involve tryin' to find a man or making it in the world?
If you'd seen that show Nikita, you'd know how ridiculous it looks. A woman that's 5ft2-4 and 120lbs max taking out 5 guys that are 5'10-6'3 and 200lbs+ with no weapons.

In the final showdown of games similar to dmc, you usually fight some sort of deity where gender doesn't matter or you fight someone on equal terms with the protagonist. A male fighting a female ruins the equality in terms of combat. Either make it MvM or FvF, just my thoughts.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
I don't quite believe that. Fighting is never just about brute strength. Sure it can stack the odds in favor of someone stronger, but anyone capable enough can take out someone larger than them. Even though there is a physiological difference between a man and woman's strength, it's rather minuscule.

And when we're talking about games like DMC, where magical strength plays way more into things than any normal aspects of a person's body, a magically-enhanced anything can turn the tide.

AcidX_Y

I don't quite believe that. Fighting is never just about brute strength. Sure it can stack the odds in favor of someone stronger, but anyone capable enough can take out someone larger than them. Even though there is a physiological difference between a man and woman's strength, it's rather minuscule.

And when we're talking about games like DMC, where magical strength plays way more into things than any normal aspects of a person's body, a magically-enhanced anything can turn the tide.
The difference is more than minuscule, as someone who does combat sports I can guarantee that.

Men are generally considered the more formidable fighters, even in videogames mainly because it's more of a masculine attribute/activity.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
Yeah, fighting is seen as a more masculine attribute, but it's really not. It's a human attribute. Women get trained differently than men for this exact reason, and it's really sorta bullsh!t. There's dainty men and there's stocky women, both of which could stand up in their opposite gender's corners.

And when I say the physiological differences are minuscule, I mean it. On the average scale of men and women, men have only slightly more base muscle mass, but women have a slightly higher tolerance to pain. Beyond that, it's strictly a person-to-person case, and that's why I think it's bullsh!t that it's still such a generalization upon men and women entirely - everyone is different.

It's the same reason why I'm tired of my girlfriend worrying over statistics on how many married couples get divorced. There's no control to use as a base, because every relationship is different, with entirely different circumstances and entirely different combinations of two people, because no two people are the same.

AcidX_Y

Yeah, fighting is seen as a more masculine attribute, but it's really not. It's a human attribute. Women get trained differently than men for this exact reason, and it's really sorta bullsh!t. There's dainty men and there's stocky women, both of which could stand up in their opposite gender's corners.

And when I say the physiological differences are minuscule, I mean it. On the average scale of men and women, men have only slightly more base muscle mass, but women have a slightly higher tolerance to pain. Beyond that, it's strictly a person-to-person case, and that's why I think it's bullsh!t that it's still such a generalization upon men and women entirely - everyone is different.

It's the same reason why I'm tired of my girlfriend worrying over statistics on how many married couples get divorced. There's no control to use as a base, because every relationship is different, with entirely different circumstances and entirely different combinations of two people, because no two people are the same.
You get stocky women because of artificial testosterone. They wouldn't be able to stand in the opposite genders corner. The physiological differences may be minuscule but the effects to performance definitely aren't, this is why male and female division exist in sports. It isn't bullshit, its biology.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
You get stocky women because of artificial testosterone.

That sorta completely ignores the fact that stocky women exist without "artificial anything", and also doesn't account for the dainty men I was talking about. Biology is a funky thing dude...

This isn't even in terms of fighting or anything, it's just straight biology that you can witness in everyday life, which I have.

They wouldn't be able to stand in the opposite genders corner. The physiological differences may be minuscule but the effects to performance definitely aren't, this is why male and female division exist in sports. It isn't bullshit, its biology.

No, it is bullsh!t, because the differing divisions are based off of the archaic ideas that men are naturally and always insurmountably more powerful than women, which is a very broad and incorrect assumption >.>

AcidX_Y

That sorta completely ignores the fact that stocky women exist without "artificial anything", and also doesn't account for the dainty men I was talking about. Biology is a funky thing dude...

This isn't even in terms of fighting or anything, it's just straight biology that you can witness in everyday life, which I have.
Don't know about dainty men but a stocky woman usually cant compete with the average man unless there's a huge difference in skill and the two are rare cases.

No, it is bullsh!t, because the differing divisions are based off of the archaic ideas that men are naturally and always insurmountably more powerful than women, which is a very broad and incorrect assumption >.>
No offense because I usually respect your opinion but are you serious?

berto

I Saw the Devil
Why just why?
A while back a friend of mine told me the reason he switched from commander Shepard to lady Shepard in Mass Effect was simply because 'I got tired of staring at well sculpted man a$$.' That's a legitimate reason.

To elaborate to this, we are discussing action games. The reason we believe the men can do it is because they are stocked and build like rhinos alot of the time. However the truth is that no actual human been is capable of the feats we are talking about; These are all power fantasies, gender does not diminish the ridiculousness of the actions they perform so is some bloke like Nero can do what he can why can't a woman?

However if we are talking realism I propose more realistic games, specifically Uncharted and Tomb Raider. They are both the same game but with the genders switched. The characters are both equally capable of pulling off the the same action and stunts in the other's game without affecting the possibility of success of failure. In another scenario would it really be so far fetched to switch the roles of Booker and Elizabeth? She shoots, he supports. Why the bloody hell not?

Last edited:

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
Don't know about dainty men but a stocky woman usually cant compete with the average man unless there's a huge difference in skill and the two are rare cases.

It's really only rare by virtue of there not being many of those unique individuals not largely competing. It's like taking an opinion poll in an area that is predominantly one opinion - take here for example; the presiding opinion on this DmC forum is that DmC is good, but that's because there's a large majority of people who share our opinion here, making a contrary opinion seem much smaller.

Likewise, if there was no division between competition, and we rated them all on one scale, things would be different.

No offense because I usually respect your opinion but are you serious?

I understand it's hard to believe, but seriously, think about how women were treated at the times that women's divisions in competitions were even allowed - women were always seen as frail, and weak.

Think about how in the MMA there's this movement to merge the two divisions because they're all kick-ass people, and gender shouldn't really be an issue.

But whatever...it's rather incidental when taking into account fantasy where anything can happen because...fantasy~

A while back a friend of mine told me the reason he switched from commander Shepard to lady Shepard in Mass Effect was simply because 'I got tired of staring at well sculpted man a$$.' That's a legitimate reason.

That's always been a logical reason I could understand. It's slightly shallow but...seriously, you can't blame 'em >.<

AcidX_Y

It's really only rare by virtue of there not being many of those unique individuals not largely competing. It's like taking an opinion poll in an area that is predominantly one opinion - take here for example; the presiding opinion on this DmC forum is that DmC is good, but that's because there's a large majority of people who share our opinion here, making a contrary opinion seem much smaller.

Likewise, if there was no division between competition, and we rated them all on one scale, things would be different.
I understand it's hard to believe, but seriously, think about how women were treated at the times that women's divisions in competitions were even allowed - women were always seen as frail, and weak.
You would have a majority of the women at the bottom of the scale, like 99% of them. It's rare because they're women not by stocky women never being seen.

Think about how in the MMA there's this movement to merge the two divisions because they're all kick-ass people, and gender shouldn't really be an issue.

But whatever...it's rather incidental when taking into account fantasy where anything can happen because...fantasy
Never heard about this, wouldn't even be a good idea. MMA is one of the sports where it matters the most. It's fantasy but the concept of equals still exist, the boss fights in DMC 3 and DmC against Vergil wouldn't have been as climatic if one of them was a woman but that's just me.

berto

I Saw the Devil
That's always been a logical reason I could understand. It's slightly shallow but...seriously, you can't blame 'em >.<
It's a major complaint with DMC3, dudes complaining that he won't put on a damn shirt. In this case it's because it's not well sculpted woman a$$ he wants to gander at but rather 'alright, dude, we get it, nice a$$, now put some pants on!!' demeanor.

Top Bottom