• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Why is Dante getting old?

Aster

At the beginning of DMC3 it says that it's been 2000 years since the rebellion lead by the Dark Knight Sparda. That means it's been 2000 years since he saved the human word. In a few years Eva gets pregnant and afterwards Dante and Virgil are born. So, getting back to DMC3, Dante looks like 19 year-old, but (!) he must be near 2000 years by that moment. And now in DMC 5 he looks way older. I know that the novel tells us that he ages like a human, but doesn't it mean that he must look older in DMC3?

Gel

When the going gets tough, the tough get going
Premium
DMC lore is a mess, mate! Most recent takes in the lore seem to imply Sparda met Eva very near our era. Kamiya's canon mismatches Itsuno's (apparently)

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
At the beginning of DMC3 it says that it's been 2000 years since the rebellion lead by the Dark Knight Sparda. That means it's been 2000 years since he saved the human word. In a few years Eva gets pregnant and afterwards Dante and Virgil are born. So, getting back to DMC3, Dante looks like 19 year-old, but (!) he must be near 2000 years by that moment. And now in DMC 5 he looks way older. I know that the novel tells us that he ages like a human, but doesn't it mean that he must look older in DMC3?
I thought of Sparda's rebellion as taking place centuries before he met Eva and Dante/Vergil was born.

Bayonetta made a version of Eva who was an Umbran Witch but that version is of questionable canon because Kamiya doesn't work for Capcom anymore.

Tbh recent games havent really dwelved into Eva that much so she's the subject of a lot of confusion. Plus Langdon told people Dante was over 2000 years during the promotion of DMC4 to throw people off so thats how that got started.

Gel

Premium
I thought of Sparda's rebellion as taking place centuries before he met Eva and Dante/Vergil was born.
And apparently did! Only DMC1 booklet gives the idea Sparda married Eva and fathered children as if it was immediately after locked Mundus
Bayonetta made a version of Eva who was an Umbran Witch but that version is of questionable canon because Kamiya doesn't work for Capcom anymore.
Not only that, but Enzo lost one of his arms in CD drama audio while Bayo's Enzo has both arms.

But it is possible DMC5 lore changes everything. After all, Morrison is now a black man, Trish is just a partner of sorts and not Dante' s sidekick and maybe they even have the nature of their bond changed, so anything goes.

DarkSlayerVergil

And apparently did! Only DMC1 booklet gives the idea Sparda married Eva and fathered children as if it was immediately after locked Mundus

Not only that, but Enzo lost one of his arms in CD drama audio while Bayo's Enzo has both arms.

But it is possible DMC5 lore changes everything. After all, Morrison is now a black man, Trish is just a partner of sorts and not Dante' s sidekick and maybe they even have the nature of their bond changed, so anything goes.
So DMC lore is treated like F.E.A.R.s?

Gel

Premium
Sometimes it seems each DMC game/ media has its own canon more than anything.I'm still wondering how they will insert every DMC media into DMC5 lore if they heavily contradict each other.

Lain

Earthbound Immortal
Premium
Not gonna lie, I would prefer if Dante/Vergil/Nero et all aged like normal humans as that would be a significant drawback to being a mixed blood since in DMC there really isn't much in the way of downsides despite them being as strong as many full blooded demons.

RadiantWolf

Conlige suspectos semper habitos.
According to Kamiya Dante ages like a human but stops aging in Devil Trigger. If he assumed his demonic form he would be immortal but he chooses to live as a human lives so he ages...for now.

Also I think this comes up in the DMC 4 novel.

Source on Kamiya:

He's almost unaging when taking the form of demon but chose to live as human.

He doesn't work on the series anymore obviously but nothing has countered this in the lore so far so I'll take it.

Last edited:

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
@Gel
The shift between Dante and Trish's relationship just changed as time went on and they got used to each other more.

trust me ninja gaiden is way more confusing than DMC and if you can't handle DMC you can't handle Marvel/DC comics.

DMC's problem is one of negligence. They change things without really telling you what's new or having connective tissue between the stories.

DMC2 started the trend but Bingo's tenure made it worse.

RadiantWolf

Conlige suspectos semper habitos.
Re: Bingo

I understand people's issue with him, trust me, but I just wanted to step in and say from what I've seen his stories have been stepped on a bit due to lack of time or team meddling.

I remember reading that he was concerned, for example, that DMC 3 would contradict the first novel but was told to just make an entertaining story and worry about retcons later. DMC 2 he only wrote the manual for since him and most of Itsuno's team was tacked on to that project quite a ways into it. DMC 4 he had a lot of ideas for like Nero sipping tea while fighting, Dante having a beastly demonic form and Kyrie being the Savior, not Sparda. Rest of the team shot it down. The lore bits that WERE approved didn't make it in so he made the novel to flesh things out.

What I'm getting at is Bingo seems like he has good ideas and can write a good yarn but the rest of the design team and corporate meddling sometimes get in his way.

ROCKMAN X

Keyser Söze
Sparda seems to be wearing victorian era garb, so i think its safe to say that sparda hung around for centuries after he sealed the demon world. And its very VAGUE as to what time period DMC actually takes place in. Is it the late 90's or is it the 80's? From dante's office it seems like DMC universe is somewhat retro-futuristic. So i guess the timeline goes like this:-

* Sparda seals the demon world 2000 years ago

* Sparda meets Eva centuries later

* Dante&Vergil are born after a couple years

* 18 years later DMC3 happens

I've Gotta say though, either sparda was a buddhist monk for over 2000 years(yes even in hell) or his pull out game is just as legendary.

Last edited:

berto

I Saw the Devil
At the beginning of DMC3 it says that it's been 2000 years since the rebellion lead by the Dark Knight Sparda. That means it's been 2000 years since he saved the human word.
Yes, Sparda lived as a human for 2000 years after he sealed the demon world. It says he governed the human world, quietly, for all those years. In other games they say he traveled the world fighting demons as he found them.

In a few years Eva gets pregnant and afterwards Dante and Virgil are born.
It doesn't say that anywhere. The implication was not that Sparda met Eva right after and that their children were born 2000 years ago, just that Sparda was ancient and before he died he fathered twin sons. They were born recently, not centuries ago. Dante often comments about how little he knew his father and if Dante lived for hundreds of years and Sparda lived as a human for 2000 years before he died then Dante wouldn't talk about his father like that. In the manga Dante and vergil are seen as children when their mother died and Trish states that Dante lost his family 20 years prior. Even if that's just an estimate the gap between 20 years and 2000 isn't so small that you'd imply they're in the same ballpark.

And now in DMC 5 he looks way older.
Yeah, I'm not liking the way they aged him that much. He's around the same age of Henry Cavill, why does he look like he's in his 60's? A lot of people have told me that it's the RE engine's fault, that it handles faces like a fúbol player handles a fúbol.

Bayonetta made a version of Eva who was an Umbran Witch
Not an Umbran Witch, just an extraordinary one. None of the witches in the witches that the bracelets describe are actually umbran.

ROCKMAN X

Keyser Söze
Not an Umbran Witch, just an extraordinary one. None of the witches in the witches that the bracelets describe are actually umbran.
This is why I'm kinda glad that Kamiya didn't come back for DMC2, if Bayonetta's ideas were what he had in mind for a potential DMC2, it would've ruined the gothic look&feel of the series.

Last edited:

berto

I Saw the Devil
This is why I'm kinda glad that Kamiya didn't come back for DMC2, if Bayonetta's ideas were what he had in mind for a potential DMC2, it would've ruined the gothic look&feel of the series.
Actually, the staff took more from Viewtiful Joe and Okami to make Bayonetta than DMC1. If they had made DMC2 they wouldn’t have made those other games, they would’ve gone straight to 2 and it wouldn’t have been as different from 1 as fear. I also read that The original idea was to have a new protagonist for every game.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
I guess we wont know how Dante deals with old age till they set a story when he's a lot older.

Right now he's like mid 40s which is still pretty young.

Top Bottom