• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Why I think the juxtaposition between Dante and Vergil was done better in DmC

Exejpgwmv

Actually , thing is, that you just don't venture into high-society part in jacket coloured with historisized patterns.
I don't know, I've seen some pretty weird designs come from high society.

Because unlike characters in DmC, both Dante and Vergil were hunting and fighting demons on regular basis. In DmC neither of them does it before game kicks in. Dante lacks experience, while Vergil proved to be completely inferior in his swordsmanship to Dante and appears more of pc geek, than experienced Demon-Hunter unlike his original version.
DmC Dante has been fighting demons on an almost constant basis as well.
Only difference is he doesn't get payed to do it.
And considering DMC3 and DmC Dante are similar in age, their fighting experience should be about the same.

Exejpgwmv

However, in both DmC and DMC3 you can clearly see how the kind of Iaido- inspired "over the topness" Vergil possesses is more... "focused" and swift than Dante's and that's the main difference between the two.
That only really shows when he uses his katana, but when starts using other weapons, it doesn't translate well and often looks just as showy as Dante.

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
I don't know, I've seen some pretty weird designs come from high society.
Well unless its hollywood and everybody tries to dress something as absurd as possible.

DmC Dante has been fighting demons on almost constant basis as well.
Only difference is he doesn't get payed to do it.
And considering DMC3 and DmC Dante are similar in age, their fighting experience should be about the same.
Fighting and being professional is not the same things. Being street brawler and being professional fighter are 2 different things. Like I said nDante obviously lacks experience and sometimes get clumsy, like we saw when he stumbles with the axe. Dante in DMC3 shown ability to quickly adapt any weapon he picked on the way.

Exejpgwmv

Well unless its hollywood and everybody tries to dress something as absurd as possible.
In terms of absurdity and attention whoring, Hollywood and High Society aren't all that different.

Fighting and being professional is not the same things.
Unless old Dante received official training from other demon hunters and is a lot older than I thought he was, then no, he's not a professional by that point in his life.

Viper

Premium
Well, were talking about nVergil here, and he's not exactly what most would call "normal".
Umm, actually the conversation at that point had already steered to people in general, do they still wear fancy coats to parties. nVergil could have indeed adopted a flashy way of dressing to create image of eccentric billionaire.

@DarkSlayerZero
Where? Outside celebrity parties, I haven't seen any guy dress like nVergil. They even tend to switch dress pants for dark jeans these days.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
That only really shows when he uses his katana, but when starts using other weapons, it doesn't translate well and often looks just as showy as Dante.

Mah. Force Edge, he uses it in combo with Yamato and he still doesn't do CUHRAYZEEE!!! stuff with it like Dante does with Rebellion.

Beowulf, he doesn't do the ultra speedy punch or kicks flurry, preferring instead a more "linear" double upwards kick or spinning axe kick, and while he does it, he sure doesn't scream the name of the moves (remember Dante? When he does Real Impact and the following crazy combo he screams "Rising Dragon!") xD

And then again, Dante's crazy combos are the highlight of how he likes messing around when fighting. Vergil doesn't.

And they behave differently too when taunting and doing battle cries.

I'm sorry but their style is different and it reflects in both their animations and in how they "behave" in combat.

Not saying there aren't similarities, but the differences are much more significant. Dante is such a crazy and cheesy guy in combat, that never ever I can say he's similar to Vergil. He totally lacks the same degree of craziness.

Bazilican

Beer and big tits all around! XD
471.gif

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
In terms of absurdity and attention whoring, Hollywood and High Society aren't all that different.

Unless old Dante received official training from other demon hunters and is a lot older than I thought he was, then no, he's not a professional by that point in his life.
Dante's just automatically an efficient fighter and a lot of stuff he does are just for the sake of the game making him look cool. As far as we know, Dante doesn't have any proper training under anyone in particular. This professionalism and the arbitrary way they're trying to explain DMC 3 Dante's "professional" title is just silly. It's a video game that just will do whatever it wants with the character for the rule of cool.

Dante being a professional is DMC 1 to me. Because we were introduced to him as a guy who owns a business hunting demons, and has been doing it for quite some time considering all the trophies hanging on his wall. He's got that lai back professionalist thing going on.

I appreciate the little details put in video games, and Dante's progression as a fighter kind of shows through his combat in the latest game. You start out with barely anything and he sort of just bumbles around very aggressively, but as he goes on, it kind of looks like you're growing with the character as a fighter. The immersion is there.

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
Well, I never saw gothic-looking suit in high-society so I dunno

And yet he doesn't fly after his axe like in DmC though out whole game. Besides I don't remember even one mention that nDante actually demon hunter. He kills demons because he himself hunted by them, but there is no implication he does anything like consequent hunting, while Dante in DMC does it, apparently much more goal-oriented.

Gel

When the going gets tough, the tough get going
Premium
@Foxtrot94 ,V IS a demon hunter just like his brother.His father was one, so he is too.
"Wrath of The Raging Demon Hunter" is the prove of this.
In a way or another , V works for humans just like Dante.Vergil does it in the shadows without human's acknowledgement , while Dante does it openly and he can be hired for that.

Exejpgwmv

but there is no implication he does anything like consequent hunting
Yes, there is.
He himself says that whenever he could he would fight back.
Also, consider that he was and is assaulted by demons on a constant basis, ever sense he was in his mid childhood.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
@Foxtrot94 ,V IS a demon hunter just like his brother.

Not saying he can't be one, just that he's not exactly depicted like that in DMC3. Semantic, always a trap xD

Yes, there is.
He himself says that whenever he could he would fight back.
Also, consider that he was and is assaulted by demons on a constant basis, ever sense he was in his mid childhood.

Eh. He is the prey, not the predator.

However, ever since he remembered his past and allied with Vergil, he slowly switches role, so I can see how you could call him a demon hunter.

Top Bottom