• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

why hack and slash sales are low

xMobilemux

I'll just get right to the ass kicking.
Supporter 2014
Because people just want to shoot sh*t and watch stuff blow up.

God of War 3 only got those sales because it was the epic conclusion to the series coming off 2 awesome games, just like DMC4 came off the awesome DMC3 and sold even better.
But God of War Ascension didn't sell that good because people were done with it since GoW3 ended the series.

The Final Offer

Because these Hack and Slash games are rentals or throwaways. I don't care how good you play DMC or Bayonetta, by the end of the day there's nothing left for you to do! There's no one who cares about your score, no one that wants to be apart of the game.

What conversations would you have with your buddies besides "That was a good game, you should try it." or " Aw man you got a higher score than me?"

That's it. There's nothing there but a couple of hours of fun and then bargain bin.

Some of us return to the DMC series because nostalgia, but how long can a game last off of that? I'd play my favorite stage then I'm done. Don't wanna go through those crappy stages that I've been through before.

What I want them to do are two things open world and multi-player. BOOM collectibles and replay value.

ArabPikachu

Just because a hack n slash game doesn't sell as well as God of War, that doesn't mean it's a "low-selling" game

When it comes to sales, hack n slash games have an abundance of competition among themselves so having an individual hack n slash game besides a God of War installment sell 5 million or more units is easier said than done

Pale Rider

Wickedly good
Because they are unrealistic.
Because a single protagonist can fight head on with a horde of enemies.
Because little to no story.
Because little to no character development.
Because they are stupid.
Because no online co-op mode.
Because single player.
Because no zombie kill streak.
Because no boomboompowpowboooooommm.
:facepalm:

These stupid games or this genre as a whole try to focus on pesky little things like Gameplay. I mean who gives a sh!t about gameplay in a single player game? It is 2014 already. Gameplay should be eradicated from from single player games. It serves no purpose.

I don't know, but if you were around the net discussing about Darksiders 2, you would have certainly come across a lot of people saying how Darksiders 2 sucks because it tried to focus on more on the gameplay. *facefu.ck!ngpalm*

Last edited:

The Final Offer

There are games with the same make up as DMC and Bayonetta and they're called Sengoku Basara, Hyrule Warriors, Samurai Warriors, Dynasty Warriors, and Warriors Oichi (or some s***).

These games succeed because of their vast amount of content and characters.

dreadnought_dante

And the brighter the flame, the deeper the shadow
but if you were around the net discussing about Darksiders 2, you would have certainly come across a lot of people saying how Darksiders 2 sucks because it tried to focus on more on the gameplay. *facefu.ck!ngpalm*

why every game i like end up this way.
while i was playing darksiders 2. i was blown away. i liked the story, gameplay,puzzles and everything else.
but when i came to the internet, my faith in humanity was destroyed.

berto

I Saw the Devil
And this is the reason Call of Duty needs 22 titles? seriously?
Think of CoD as a form of subscription. You aren't buying a new game with CoD or BF, you are paying for the renewal of the same experience with updated materials. It's a bit brilliant, really, you sell a game that people are playing already with shinny commercials and new elements but really you are just paying to keep up with the experience and selling it in an annual basis keeps people remembering that the game is there and keeps them from moving on to something else.

It's not that different from Michael Bay making a new Transformers movie every few years. It's not really that much different but to those kids who saw the last one it's more of the same they crave. It may look like it's something shiny and new but in reality it's more of the same and eventually people catch on.

That, of course, doesn't improve our situation in the H&S section of the gaming community since our titles are seeing less and less releases as time goes by. The H&S might go the way of the Brawler soon.

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
We have to consider how underhyped HnS games are. GoW was hugely overhyped and praised so it got solid sales, but as for rest. It goes under radar in 80% of cases. Even now with Bayo, it don't get even 30% of hype and marketing of Super Smash bros.

WolfOD64

That Guy Who Hates Fox McCloud
Hack-n'-slash games are actually quite few in number. Think about it: why is it that whenever a professional reviewer or article discusses hack-n'-slash games, or reviews one, the first thing they bring up are games like God of War, DMC, and Ninja Gaiden? It's not just because those are the shining examples of the genre...but because those are the few games in the genre.

H&S are a little bit rare nowadays, at least ones that don't borrow heaviliy from past successes (i.e., Dante's Inferno, Asura's Wrath). Sure, you have the odd Platinum Games title or Suda51 brawler, but they're only an occasional occurence, and fall into obscurity pretty quickly.

We get a ton of FPS games nowadays, and RPG's are starting to grow in significant numbers as well. But hack-n'-slash games? Not so much...they don't share the same success, because they aren't made as frequently, or with the same budgets or marketing as the former.
Because they are unrealistic.
Because a single protagonist can fight head on with a horde of enemies.
Because little to no story.
Because little to no character development.
Because they are stupid.
There was a time, after gorging myself on games like Devil May Cry, Onimusha, God of War, and Ninja Gaiden where I was utterly convinced that this was true. Almost every hack-n'-slash game has absolutely no plot to speak of, and even less character development.

I literally thought that this genre would stand unopposed as the single subsidiary of gaming that would remain completely devoid of an engaging story or fleshed-out characters, and be given the effort and attention to detail as other story-driven games.

And then Lords of Shadow came along...with Hollywood actors for voice talent, nice narrative themes and undertones, and some of the best development for a H&S protagonist. It was proof that not every game in this genre had to be some over-the-top power-fantasy or tongue-and-cheek fever dream. You could have a legitimate story and characters, even if the gameplay or logic seemed implausible at times.
There are games with the same make up as DMC and Bayonetta and they're called Sengoku Basara, Hyrule Warriors, Samurai Warriors, Dynasty Warriors, and Warriors Oichi (or some s***).

These games succeed because of their vast amount of content and characters.
Let's not mix up genres here.

The Musou games (Dynasty Warriors, Hyrule Warriors, Samurai Warriors, Warriors Orochi) and Sengoku Basara are NOT H&S games. They're referred to as "crowd-fighters", in which the player fights hordes and hordes of enemies without the difficulty of having to focus their attacks on one enemy. These games are about racking up KO's, rather than fighting a small group of enemies at a given time and focusing combos.

They're vastly-different games, even if the sporadic nature and button-mashy gameplay mimicks the H&S genre to some degree.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
Hack-n'-slash games are actually quite few in number. Think about it: why is it that whenever a professional reviewer or article discusses hack-n'-slash games, or reviews one, the first thing they bring up are games like God of War, DMC, and Ninja Gaiden? It's not just because those are the shining examples of the genre...but because those are the few games in the genre.

H&S are a little bit rare nowadays, at least ones that don't borrow heaviliy from past successes (i.e., Dante's Inferno, Asura's Wrath). Sure, you have the odd Platinum Games title or Suda51 brawler, but they're only an occasional occurence, and fall into obscurity pretty quickly.
I think racing games are really the type of games that are the rarity in the market nowadays.

Top Bottom