• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Why does Dante hate his mother

Dantenevercries

unlike Vergil

Vergil seemed like he cared for his mother since he is trying to gain power to avenge her

yet Dante doesn't seem to care for her, because he isn't doing the same thing

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
What are talking about? Dante loved his mother. His mother was the reason why he hunts demons and defeated Mundus. Vergil, on the other hand, is questionable considering he idolized his father more then really showing as much of a love for their mom as Dante did.

In DmC however, Vergil did hate his mother because he thought she loved Dante more then him. Howe he felt about his father seemed to be more about his power rather then him as an actual father.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
Um, Dante does what he does mainly because demons destroyed his family when he was a child. He hopes to take revenge for her someday.

Vergil on the other hand, couldn't give a flying f*** about his humanity or his mother. Seriously, where exactly does it come from that people think he's trying to gain power to avenge his mother? He's trying to gain power because he's power hungry and embraces his demonic heritage ALOT more than his human side which he curses.

Last edited by a moderator:

berto

I Saw the Devil
Vergil on the other hand, couldn't give a flying f*** about his humanity or his mother. Seriously, where exactly does it come from that people think he's trying to gain power to avenge his mother? He's trying to gain power because he's power hungry and embraces his demonic heritage ALOT more than his human side which he curses.
Censor more than just one letter.

Anyway, Vergil might not give a flying rat's ass about his humanity but his mother was not something he was even remotely dismissive about. Avenge his mother? No, I don't think so, but not giving a crap about his mother? Nope, not true either.

Gel

When the going gets tough, the tough get going
Premium
DMC Vergil has a self loath complex , for he is not a human nor a demon.He needs power to give meaning to his existence.
Sure he feels mamma liked Dante more but this is just his idea, nothing says it is real.
Official books says Vergil loves his mother deeply, as much Dante does.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
What are talking about? Dante loved his mother. His mother was the reason why he hunts demons and defeated Mundus. Vergil, on the other hand, is questionable considering he idolized his father more then really showing as much of a love for their mom as Dante did.

In DmC however, Vergil did hate his mother because he thought she loved Dante more then him. Howe he felt about his father seemed to be more about his power rather then him as an actual father.

Yeah, this.

The only one who hates Eva in the franchise is DmC Vergil. Certainly not DMC Dante, nor Vergil.

Director Bison

King of Games
Premium Elite
Premium
i don't get how someone would think Dante hated his mother?

i mean the entire reason DMC 1 even happens is because Dante loved his mother so much that he was willing to trust a complete stranger that just tryed to MURDER him (Trish) just cus she look like his mother

and i'd say the scene where Dante saves Trish's life reinforces Dante's love for his mother even more

Trish tryed to murder Dante AGAIN but Dante Still saves her life and lets her go because Trish looks like his mother and he is really ****ed off

Dante: "Don't come any closer, you devil!
You may look like my mother but you're no where close to her. You have no soul.
You have the face you'll never have her fire!"

i'd say that quote does a find job showing that Dante loved his mother a great deal

i always got the idea that Vergil loved his mother just as much as Dante did

Vergils might controls everything quote always makes me think that his lust for power started from the fact that he was unable to save his mother
it just snowballed in to him needing more power and him trying to rid himself of his humanity which he sees as a weakness

i believe that Eva's death effected Dante and Vergil both
just in opposite ways
Dante hated his Demon side and embraced his humanity
Vergil hated his humanity and embraced his Demon side

Last edited:

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
I feel they both love her but express it through different ways as Dante's shop allows him to hunt demons and sometimes stop tragedies like his mother's death.

That could be seen as a valid way of avenging his mom like Vergil's efforts but more healthier (head canon/common sense)

NessPSI

Tony Redgraaaave!
Both love their mother, but in different ways. In her name Vergil will go to any length without even caring about the circumstances. That includes killing innocents for power. In his mind, the world took his mother away from him so he owes nothing to the world. Dante on the other hand, grew up as a demon hunter and chose to settle this revenge personally between him and Mundus, avoiding unnecessary bloodshed if possible.

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
He doesn't hate her. He's got a picture of her on his work desk. That's love right there!

Also just noticed this was in General Discussion, so moved now.

AgentRedgrave

Legendary Devil Hunter
Dante does what he does because demons killed his mother. Both the original version, and the reboot version.

*Original Dante to Original Mundus* "Why my mother?" Referencing Eva's death

*Reboot Mundus to Reboot Dante" "Why did you kill my child?"

*Reboot Dante to Reboot Mundus* "Because you killed my mother"

The original Dante keeps a picture of her on his desk, and the only reason he saved Trish after she betrayed him was because of her resemblance to his mother.

And yeah, I do agree that Vergil did indeed love his mother (just because he doesn't go on about it like Dante does, doesn't mean he doesn't, it's called subtlety, it was hinted in DMC3, and has been referenced in other media, it's pretty much canon)
DmC: Vergil's Downfall is the only time any of her sons are blatantly shown to view/treat her negatively.

I don't understand how you can possibly believe Dante hates or doesn't love his mom

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
I did not play DmC the reboot. Did not like the whole emo/druggie Dante look, so I don't know if he hates her there.

They didn't go with that original look of Dante for DmC. And as it's already been mentioned, he doesn't hate his mother in DmC.

Dante's Stalker

"Outrun this!"
Premium
Supporter 2014
unlike Vergil

Vergil seemed like he cared for his mother since he is trying to gain power to avenge her

yet Dante doesn't seem to care for her, because he isn't doing the same thing
Dude, do you even DMC?
Laughing-Then-Crying-Gif-Tumblr-04.gif

Top Bottom