• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

why do western developers suck at action games

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrrandomlulz

Monsuuuta moonssuta mo mo mo mo monsuuta
Deus Ex series. Since when was Mario an action game?
NO MORE ATTENTION FOR OP!
now-a-spidey-thread-Xsv3GM.jpg

Speaking of OP, am I the only one who can't wait to see what happens when he returns

Last edited:

VineBigBoss

GGXRD <3
Keep in mind that what we consider as A Tier action games all came from companies with rather reputable portfolios of fighting games. These teams had the advantage of building upon years of combat system mastery, be it from their own experiences in FG development, or their mentors in the company who worked on those.

Darksiders 2 comes to mind as a recent western game with a very, very carefully designed combat system. I was really shocked how much they improved after the boorish combat of the first one. Much more closer to classic DMC than I'd have ever imagined. So I believe if they want to tackle the genre proper, there are some pretty skillful western combat designers who can rise to the challenge.

I've played the first one and it really sucks in the combat department, the whole game doesn't seen to decide if it is an standard adventure game or hack'n'slash. I'll check out the second game for sure, heard a lot of people saying it's a pretty good hack'n'slash.

Jak

i like turtles
Supporter 2014
i feel like saying something rude and obnoxious would be too easy.

Dantesanimus

I would have narrowed the topic down to western developers not being all that good at creating games with great combat but Action in general....basically everybody has gotten a couple good contributions in that pool.

This_IZ_Sparda!

I think the west are pretty good at action games. Castlevania: Lords of Shadow, Severance: Blade of Darkness, Dark Messiah of Blood and Magic, Darksiders 2, Witcher 2(Especially with combat rebelance mod) and so on and on.

If only Skyrim had the combat of Dark Messiah...*sigh*

1048638027_1380798328.png
Dark Messiah. ah yes. Sir Kicksalot in the land of conveniently placed spikes. :) it was going good at first but i got bored.. I thought the demon chick was hot but she irritated me to the core. More annoying than Dark Prince in PoP: The Two Thrones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom