• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Why do people say that Vergil was never "honorable" ?

Jak

i like turtles
Supporter 2014
i don't think either is honorable. DMC vergil was willing to kill thousands for his own PERSONAL gain. and all that "i need this power to protect the ones i love" is just a load. he wanted daddy's power for himself so he could rule and be a tyrant. vergil truley is evil in DMC. in DmC, vergil isn't so much evil. just twisted. he knows whats right and wrong but the lines are so blurred to him, he doesn't know what is right or wrong (if that made any sense). but in the end, both are power hungry soulless tyrants in training. each for different reasons

IncarnatedDemon

I wonder who made the decision to put a different team instead of Team Little Devils on dmc 2.
That was first turning point of dmc.

I would prolly dislike dmc3 vergil aswell if it wasnt for:
  • dmc3 was first game of dmc that i bought
  • dmc3 vergil has style
  • dmc3 vergil is an alternative version of original vergil. They didnt do a full fledge reboot on dmc3 with Dante nor Vergil.

ROCKMAN X

Keyser Söze
i don't think either is honorable. DMC vergil was willing to kill thousands for his own PERSONAL gain. and all that "i need this power to protect the ones i love" is just a load. he wanted daddy's power for himself so he could rule and be a tyrant. vergil truley is evil in DMC. in DmC, vergil isn't so much evil. just twisted. he knows whats right and wrong but the lines are so blurred to him, he doesn't know what is right or wrong (if that made any sense). but in the end, both are power hungry soulless tyrants in training. each for different reasons
You're spot on about DmC vergil he's not naturally evil he just feels obliged to go into that way he kinda reminds me of Gary from Bully.

And i don't even think old Vergil ever really showed any remorse or feelings for his past.. he's just a flat character with almost no real personality.
They didnt do a full fledge reboot on dmc3 with Dante nor Vergil.
Well if you're talking purely about Dante's character then it was a full fledged reboot.. i mean just look at these 2 people they look nothing alike.

The only excuse DMC 3's dante has for that character inconsistency is that he's young&brash so he's completely different somehow.

DarkSlayerZero

DMC1 Dante>>>>>>2-4
I'd like to add on that is how we're supposed to look at it after playing DMC3. In fact, there's a pretty good parallel between Darth Vader and Vergil. Both wanted more power to protect the person that meant most to them. Both lost the people who meant the most to them. Both fell to the "dark side" in pursuit of power.

Dante in DMC1 says that his brother was killed by demons when they were little. This is true. The brother Dante knew and played with died that day. Figuring how DMC1 takes place a few years after 3, the physical loss of his brother (whom he tried to save in DMC3) is still fresh. So it makes sense to say his brother died young because what happened to him as a child set him on a path Dante couldn't save him from. Much like how Obi-wan couldn't save Anakin Skywalker.

So no, DMC3 did not overwrite DMC1.

1. Don't compare Vergil to Darth Vader.

2. 10 yrs isn't fresh.

IncarnatedDemon

You're spot on about DmC vergil he's not naturally evil he just feels obliged to go into that way he kinda reminds me of Gary from Bully.

And i don't even think old Vergil ever really showed any remorse or feelings for his past.. he's just a flat character with almost no real personality.Well if you're talking purely about Dante's character then it was a full fledged reboot.. i mean just look at these 2 people they look nothing alike.
The only excuse DMC 3's dante has for that character inconsistency is that he's young&brash so he's completely different somehow.
Are you serious?

dmc1 Dante:
white hair from father
half demon half human
is compassionate
likes to joke around

dmc3 Dante:
white hair from father
half demon half human
is compassionate
likes to joke around

Where is the character inconsistency that you speak of?

DarkSlayerZero

DMC1 Dante>>>>>>2-4
Are you serious?

dmc1 Dante:
white hair from father
half demon half human
is compassionate
likes to joke around

dmc3 Dante:
white hair from father
half demon half human
is compassionate
likes to joke around

Where is the character inconsistency that you speak of?

Lol, DMC3 Dante IS NOT compassionate.

Joking around is his only character trait.

VOLPE

SSStylish Swordsman
Lol, DMC3 Dante IS NOT compassionate.

Joking around is his only character trait.

okay now i wouldnt say that i would say hes not overly compassionate but he def has some compassion to him especially the way he relates with lady in some of the scenes and his final scene with vergil how he trys to reach for him as hes falling and when he crys at the end of the game dante dmc3 does have compassion just not a lot outwardly

ROCKMAN X

Keyser Söze
dmc1 Dante:
white hair from father
half demon half human
is compassionate
likes to joke around

dmc3 Dante:
white hair from father
half demon half human
is compassionate
likes to joke around
1)That's doesn't prove anything about character consistency that's a character description..

2)You are not accurate

> DMC 3's dante does not dress like DMC 1's dante
> DMC 3's dante does not act like DMC 1's dante
> DMC 3's dante does not feel like he's the same character as DMC 1's dante young or old DMC 4's dante is what DMC 3 dante would have become.. i'd imagine DMC 1's young dante to be more mature and less of a douchbag.

>Where is the character inconsistency that you speak of?
What ?

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
WRONG! :p

Dante to Nelo Angelo: "Ha, a man with guts and honor: I like that. It's a shame you had to follow Mundus."

Nelo Angelo was portrayed as being a fair fighter. He didn't try to sneak up on Dante or use cheap tricks. He showed signs of believing in the virtue of a good fight or whatever. So he had honor in that sense.

Although, I think there is no honor to be had in violence.
good point but to be fair that's Dante's view on it rather Vergil's own view so you get only half credit.

Meg

good point but to be fair that's Dante's view on it rather Vergil's own view so you get only half credit.
How do you think we learn about characters? From their actions, from other's view, and from their own view. Dante witnessed Nelo Angelo's fighting style and commented that he has honor. Would you really value Nelo Angelo/Vergil outright saying "I am an honorable fighter" more than subtext and Dante's perception of him? I wouldn't.

Vergil having to outright say he has honor in order for it to count is just silly. Subtext, people. Subtext.

Jak

i like turtles
Supporter 2014
> DMC 3's dante does not dress like DMC 1's dante
> DMC 3's dante does not act like DMC 1's dante
> DMC 3's dante does not feel like he's the same character as DMC 1's dante young or old DMC 4's dante is what DMC 3 dante would have become.. i'd imagine DMC 1's young dante to be more mature and less of a douchbag.

if anything, i feel like DmC dante would turn out to be like DMC1 dante more so than DMC3 dante would

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
But since those were the only two nitpicks you had, I'm going to go ahead and say I'm right. :p
Subtext, people. Subtext.
Nope. Not condescending at all.

Your posts always educate and... dare I say it... enlighten those who just can't understand the Intellectual Nirvana that is...

Meg.
Jake-Gyllenhaal.jpg

Jak

i like turtles
Supporter 2014
I'd be down for DmC Vergil turning into Gilver.

that would be tight. but then again, theres a large audience of devil may cry who don't know who gilver or tony or patty etc. are. so i think they'd go a more recognizable route and turn vergil into nelo. but i would be interested to see who gilver turns out to be if he is in DmC. if he is vergil...then damn. i didn't see that coming

Meg

Nope. Not condescending at all.

Your posts always educate and... dare I say it... enlighten those who just can't understand the Intellectual Nirvana that is...

Meg.
Dude, really? I was not being condescending, or at least that was not how it was supposed to come off. The first bit you quoted was just me teasing. The second bit was supposed to sound silly. Since you took it the wrong way, I apologize for not being clear. But that doesn't mean you had to go and post something so snide. Honestly, if you have a problem with me or what I post, you can PM me. Or report me even.

Either way, sorry to anyone and everyone who misinterpreted my post. I'll try to be more clear next time.

Top Bottom