• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Why do people say that Vergil was never "honorable" ?

Meg

I don't like 3's ver of him. Gilver is better.
But what does that have to do with Vergil being Nelo Angelo? I really am not seeing the logic here.

Well, DMC 3 does contradict DMC 1 anyway so.......
Not really. I know Dante says that his mother and brother were both killed by Mundus. But I argue that Dante meant that the same way Obi-Wan said that Darth Vader killed Luke's father.

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
Anyway, Vergil is honorable in some senses. He wouldn't cut Dante down if he weren't at full power, unless they had just battled each other and Dante was hurt badly, obviously. Then, as Nero Angelo, he showed honor, as Dante explicitly remarked.
Though I don't know about him killing Arkham in the beginning to middle part of DMC3. He may have thought honor didn't apply in that case, as Arkham had become demonic, and not in a 'good demon' sort of way.

As for people possibly dying due to him bringing back the Temen-Ni-Gru, I'm not sure that has anything to do with honor. He wouldn't kill everybody if he needs to - at least, I haven't seen anything that suggests that. It seems like everybody who lived around that area got away in time.

VOLPE

SSStylish Swordsman
i think the real answer is that vergil has selective honor lol if your useful to him he shows honor if not you die

VOLPE

SSStylish Swordsman
Ethical code if you ask me.

Vegil has pride NOT honor.. honor is a quality which makes others appreciate you.. vergil is not a person you'd respect in any sense.

You can respect how powerful he is how nothing seems to effect him or get in his way and how strong he is in his resolve and pride

VOLPE

SSStylish Swordsman
In that sense you could also respect how powerful hitler was and how stern he was about his pride.

There is a saying that "Actions speak louder than words" and that is true.

I agree with that however in way you could respect hitler for his power and pride(dont shoot me for having a opinion) however what he did with that power and pride was obviously horrible and disgusting as what vergil did with his was selfish and misguided. i respect power and strength but its what you do with it that really holds that respect "with great power comes grave and great responsibility" both of them forgot that

VOLPE

SSStylish Swordsman
Well that depends on what you consider worthy of honor&respect.

A person who has considerable amount of power and pride does deserve some sort of admiration but that alone doesn't make him worthy of utmost honor.

I absolutely agree power deserves respect what you do with that power is what determines continued respect admiration loyalty and the title of honorable

berto

I Saw the Devil
I don't understand why this discussion is still going. Last time didn't end well and I don't see this ending well ether. Some people will argue that he has honor and other will deny it with everything they got, it's the same thing every time and it often turns out that the arguments been presented are flawed all around.

VOLPE

SSStylish Swordsman
I don't understand why this discussion is still going. Last time didn't end well and I don't see this ending well ether. Some people will argue that he has honor and other will deny it with everything they got, it's the same thing every time and it often turns out that the arguments been presented are flawed all around.

i should hope not i for one am not arguing a point nor am i fence sitting i believe he had selective honor and very little at that he had power and pride and insecurity for sure and selfishness but im sure everyone can agree on that plus this is a discussion forum whats the point of it if we cant discuss because of the fear of an arguement with that logic we might as well not talk about most things in the world lol( no disrespect meant)

berto

I Saw the Devil
Oh you've got something to say or are you just going to keep stirring up this discussion ?
Are you kidding? That's pretty much what I don't want and my opinions won't go over very well so why, knowing what would happen if I said anything, would I want to stir this pot?

VOLPE

SSStylish Swordsman
Are you kidding? That's pretty much what I don't want and my opinions won't go over very well so why, knowing what would happen if I said anything, would I want to stir this pot?

so then why comment at all? thats the same as people saying ohhhh i wish i could say something but i wont cuz its rude OUT LOUD for everyone to hear and go say it if you want lol

berto

I Saw the Devil
It all depends on how you present them.
And that's how it started last time, and then someone couldn't let something go and someone didn't want to let someone else say something without having to correct them and before long things had escalated.

so then why comment at all? thats the same as people saying ohhhh i wish i could say something but i wont cuz its rude OUT LOUD for everyone to hear and go say it if you want lol
Because I don't like to see arguments. It's not about not wanting to say something out loud in fear of response, it's more about predicting how things will based on the last time this subject was brought up and back then it lead to nothing constructive or progressive. If I thought that this was going better than last time I'd provably not feel like that, but seeing a lot of what's already been posted I'm getting a sense of repetition rather than progression.

VOLPE

SSStylish Swordsman
And that's how it started last time, and then someone couldn't let something go and someone didn't want to let someone else say something without having to correct them and before long things had escalated.

Because I don't like to see arguments. It's not about not wanting to say something out loud in fear of response, it's more about predicting how things will based on the last time this subject was brought up and back then it lead to nothing constructive or progressive. If I thought that this was going better than last time I'd provably not feel like that, but seeing a lot of what's already been posted I'm getting a sense of repetition rather than progression.

Okay i understand that but some opinions dont need to be taken into consideration or taken seriously i myself would like to hear your views and opinions on this matter we dont talk much so im interested on your take im hoping im not one of the people being repetitive

Meg

Vegil's character was retconnted in DMC 3.

I find it interesting how you choose to quote that part of my post while ignoring this part:

Not really. I know Dante says that his mother and brother were both killed by Mundus. But I argue that Dante meant that the same way Obi-Wan said that Darth Vader killed Luke's father.

I'd like to add on that is how we're supposed to look at it after playing DMC3. In fact, there's a pretty good parallel between Darth Vader and Vergil. Both wanted more power to protect the person that meant most to them. Both lost the people who meant the most to them. Both fell to the "dark side" in pursuit of power.

Dante in DMC1 says that his brother was killed by demons when they were little. This is true. The brother Dante knew and played with died that day. Figuring how DMC1 takes place a few years after 3, the physical loss of his brother (whom he tried to save in DMC3) is still fresh. So it makes sense to say his brother died young because what happened to him as a child set him on a path Dante couldn't save him from. Much like how Obi-wan couldn't save Anakin Skywalker.

So no, DMC3 did not overwrite DMC1.

VOLPE

SSStylish Swordsman

And there is still a chance for this to go better then the last time

Top Bottom