• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Why didn't Dante leave Vergil behind?

McdD

Ignorant and closeminded - That's me :D
I still suggest it was because Vergil had the Force Edge, and Dante didn't want it in Vergil's hands... because Vergil never tells Dante that he was going to stay in the demon world until he's about to throw himself off the cliff.

Possibly even that Dante wanted to take his amulet too, so that he'd had absolutely no influence for the worse. Because Vergil makes a point of telling him to the effect of: "you can have the sword, then, but you can't have this. It's mine."

I think the battle and the final strike was over those possessions, not much to do with the demon world itself.
I suppose Dante thought if Force Edge or amulet got in a evil demonshand it would be bad?

V

Oldschool DMC fan
I suppose Dante thought if Force Edge or amulet got in a evil demonshand it would be bad?
Absolutely.

Even though all the way through the game Dante seems to avoid asking Vergil just wtf he thinks he's doing (and uses banter instead, claiming that he just wants a fight, etc.) he's glossing over the fact that he knows Sparda sealed the entrance between the two worlds and that Vergil is trying to break the spell = bad. Plus the comment about him never measuring up to Sparda cinches it. He knows what Vergil's up to, he knows Vergil's gone too far in pursuit of the power and would probably go too far once he got it, too. I wouldn't go so far as to say he thinks his brother is evil, but he definitely thinks he crossed the line on this one and has to be stopped.

McdD

Absolutely.

Even though all the way through the game Dante seems to avoid asking Vergil just wtf he thinks he's doing (and uses banter instead, claiming that he just wants a fight, etc.) he's glossing over the fact that he knows Sparda sealed the entrance between the two worlds and that Vergil is trying to break the spell = bad. Plus the comment about him never measuring up to Sparda cinches it. He knows what Vergil's up to, he knows Vergil's gone too far in pursuit of the power and would probably go too far once he got it, too. I wouldn't go so far as to say he thinks his brother is evil, but he definitely thinks he crossed the line on this one and has to be stopped.
It is very weird though how come the sword of sparda was in a "safe" place for Arkham just to take it?

It was in demon world right? Wouldn't the demons be smart enough to keep such weapon in their possession?

V

Oldschool DMC fan
Yeah, interesting point.

My thoughts on that is that Sparda did not put the sword away 'in' the Demon World proper, it's located in the 'Unsacred Hellgate' which seems to be a kind of dimension all its own, between the human world and the Underworld. The place where Arkham takes the sword for himself is that dimension, and the area where all of the Escher stairs and the area where Dante and Vergil have their final battle are all parts of it, too - that wasn't 'Hell' itself (even though when the amulets were joined they allowed access to the part of Hell where Mundus was). The Underworld was below that somewhere, and I guess we can assume that Sparda placed some form of separating seal on that place where the sword was, or created that dimension, so that any demon couldn't just waltz in and take the Force Edge, nor could any human from the human world. It would make more sense if he hid he sword in the human world rather than in the demon world! But it would make even more sense if he hid it in some limbo-world between the two where it would be hidden from both humans and demons.

McdD

Yeah, interesting point.

My thoughts on that is that Sparda did not put the sword away 'in' the Demon World proper, it's located in the 'Unsacred Hellgate' which seems to be a kind of dimension all its own, between the human world and the Underworld. The place where Arkham takes the sword for himself is that dimension, and the area where all of the Escher stairs and the area where Dante and Vergil have their final battle are all parts of it, too - that wasn't 'Hell' itself (even though when the amulets were joined they allowed access to the part of Hell where Mundus was). The Underworld was below that somewhere, and I guess we can assume that Sparda placed some form of separating seal on that place where the sword was, or created that dimension, so that any demon couldn't just waltz in and take the Force Edge, nor could any human from the human world. It would make more sense if he hid he sword in the human world rather than in the demon world! But it would make even more sense if he hid it in some limbo-world between the two where it would be hidden from both humans and demons.
Sounds like it.

darkdeamon92/dmc3/

Dante seems to avoid asking Vergil just wtf he thinks he's doing

interesting poing but i alwayz thought that they have had that talk and vergil already made up his mind.....remember at first dante said......its been a hole year since we last meet....i think thats the time where they had the talk :).....and one more thing i dont get if Force Edge gives you spards power then why didnt dante obtain it in DMC1?:/

V

Oldschool DMC fan
Force Edge gives you spards power then why didnt dante obtain it in DMC1?:/

Because he didn't have the two amulets as well? Arkham did when he transformed into the Disco Blob. But Dante only gained Sparda's power from it and the 'proper form' of the Force Edge once he got the other amulet from Nelo Angelo.

...Although it's heavily hinted in the game that he somehow possessed Sparda's power - or something as powerful as it - all along.

D-Sparda

Nothing is true, everything is permitted
...Although it's heavily hinted in the game that he somehow possessed Sparda's power - or something as powerful as it - all along.
At 1:12.

At 0:56

Notice that in those specific times, Sparda's true form comes out without even the need to use the Sparda(sword).

Maybe those were the hints.

darkdeamon92/dmc3/

Because he didn't have the two amulets as well? Arkham did when he transformed into the Disco Blob. But Dante only gained Sparda's power from it and the 'proper form' of the Force Edge once he got the other amulet from Nelo Angelo.

lol i totally forgot about the amulets :D sry... and yeah i think he did.....but some people are saying that dante has became more powerful than sparda...but we still don't know the true power of sparda so how can we know??

V

Oldschool DMC fan
lol i totally forgot about the amulets :D sry... and yeah i think he did.....but some people are saying that dante has became more powerful than sparda...but we still don't know the true power of sparda so how can we know??

Griffon says to Dante that he believes he has even greater powers than Sparda (thanks to D-Sparda for showing exactly what I was thinking of too with those vids, the instances where other demons who KNEW Sparda actually thought Dante was him, or even greater than him), so we have to believe that somehow Dante surpassed Sparda.

I'm inclined to believe that Dante is more powerful and versatile than Sparda was because he's a hybrid. Has the advantages of both human and demon but the weaknesses of neither in the same sense. If that's so then we can at least gauge that Sparda's power was no more or less than Dante's powers at the time of DMC1. Not DMC3 though - he hadn't matured to full power then, obv.

Sparda did seal a bunch of his own power off with the tower, and all we have to go on is the Sparda DT as an indication of what his pre-sealed powers were. We don't know if Griffon and Phantom knew Sparda when he was a full demon living in the demonic realm or not (I guess we can assume so as these are all big, powerful honcho demons) then I figure we can believe what they say? That Dante (esp in final DT) is equivalent or more in power to Sparda himself at the time when he was at "100% power".

darkdeamon92/dmc3/

that makes lots of sence thanks lexy for you awesome thoughts...^_^ when i have some questions i need the answer to i know who to come to now :)

Top Bottom