• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

why are people assholes?

Jak

i like turtles
Supporter 2014
like, seriously? what possess a person to develop a "higher than thou" attitude? especially over the internet? i understand that human nature causes one to dismiss another in order to feel better about themselves, but seriously?

Meg

My guess is in real life, Internet trolls have major self-esteem issues or face some other problem where they feel powerless. So they take advantage of being anonymous on the Internet since they can act however they want without real punishment. Oh sure, they can get banned, but there are thousands, if not millions, or forums and sites with comment sections for them to troll on.

aoshi

Yeah,Chauvinists are annoying as hell.But i find most of internet to be ignorant as well. I hate when anyone takes internet too damn seriously but hate when anyone is ignorant as a child.Internet does seem to be a filled with ego-maniacs but there are those who resort to "I'm entitled to my opinion" in every single debate. Seriously, Anyone can have an opinion but after entering a debate, Opinions shouldn't be a defense(unless you weren't trying to prove or state anything for a fact).And judging someone's self-esteem from an internet response is highly ignorant. Most people would be off-guard on casual sites like video-game forums,youtube and chat boards which are mainly for consumers. But the irony is, Most people that claim to be objective on internet are the ones that use "I'm entitled to my opinion" crap.

So there are both ends of the spectrum that can be annoying on the internet.

ROCKMAN X

Keyser Söze
There's a little thing that Penny Arcade created called "GIFT", or the "Greater Internet ****wad Theory." Basically, the formula goes like this: Average Joe + Total Anonymity + Audience = Total ****wad.
LMAO this post made my day XD Reminds me of this video >

"If you want get an idea of the internet go to local middle school and hand over kids crystal meth and guns" XD

Vergil'sBitch

I am Nero's Mom & Obsessed fan girl
Premium
I've got self-esteem issues but I can't say that I've ever wanted to 'troll' or go on a 'power trip' over it. I'm pretty much, "what you see is what you get." (I'm genuinly this nice irl, ya know :3)

I was on FB about a week ago looking over a page where the 'trolls' had gotten a little 'ott'. They had their real names and where they work on their pages... so not everyone uses anonimity to be a d*ck.

"Opinion's are like a$$-holes, everyone has one..." Some more than others though.

darkslayer13

Enma Katana no Kami
There's a little thing that Penny Arcade created called "GIFT", or the "Greater Internet ****wad Theory." Basically, the formula goes like this: Average Joe + Total Anonymity + Audience = Total ****wad.

that particular theory has been studied by actual scientists who officially refer to it as the Online disinhibition effect but the term GIFT is more commonly used because it conveys the idea more easily.

Pale Rider

Wickedly good
"Opinion's are like a$$-holes, everyone has one..." Some more than others though.

Lol VeeBee.. did u really say that? Hehehe.. That's a nice analogy there n I'm literally smiling here.

But to be back on topic, I think, as others have said already, the biggest factor fueling the a$$hole-ness over the internet is Anonymity. You are unknown, nobody sees the real "U" n this gives u a chance of portraying yourself the way u'd want to. Perfectly.

Meg

You know, when I used low self-esteem as a potential reason, I didn't mean that everyone with low self-esteem on the Internet is going to be a troll. :/

I was just guessing that someone who doesn't love and respect themselves might turn into an Internet troll. You know, the whole "bullies are insecure so they take it out on ours" thing. Just clarifying.

LeoXCV

Single life for life
It's a question with far too many variables. Some people think their cool doing it, others act up because their just outright bored, some do it inherently due to sensitivities in real life; the list continues with no real answer other than "It depends on the person and how they feel at that point in time".

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
It's a question with far too many variables. Some people think their cool doing it, others act up because their just outright bored, some do it inherently due to sensitivities in real life; the list continues with no real answer other than "It depends on the person and how they feel at that point in time".

Yeah, pretty much this... I'm really sensitive, but I don't troll because of it. In reality, I actually get trolled super easily because I start getting defensive too quickly. Especially over the fact that I'm a furry, because so far this website is the only place I've gotten 100% universal approval for such a thing.

Meg

Good guess though & it's easy to think that to but i've seen it a little different.
I've noticed on PSHome people with low self-esteem are usually NOT ALWAYS but usually the ones sitting in a pile of self pitty.
The whole people don't like me, i can't do anything right, it's always my fault, then they have depressing things as their PSN comment. Mostly songs like Aerosmith – Cryin with the :(
True. There's lots of different people out there. As LeoXCV said, there's a lot of reasons why someone would be an asshole online.

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
I wonder if there is the reverse of this...real life nasty people being nice on the internet?:|

As for why people are nasty on the internet, I'm agreeing with the whole hiding behind being anonymous making it easier. But I guess each person has their own reasons.

Shin Muramasa

Metallic Stranger
23 million (as of August 2011)
I have PSN friends that do nothing but PSHome, they live there.
They do the whole chat, meet new friends, old friends, dance, have relationships, alliances, fashion shows, etc.
And waiting to move to PSHome on PS4.

So... Second Life but on Sony systems... Great... It's like using a Wii as an exercise tool, which may work, but other workouts might be, how should I put this... Not ridiculous. If I wanted to work out, I'd go out to jog, buy a treadmill, or go to a gym, dojo, bootcamp, or prison. I remember being curious about PSHome; I wanted to rip my head off after downloading it. I didn't make it past character creation.

aoshi

I was just guessing that someone who doesn't love and respect themselves might turn into an Internet troll. You know, the whole "bullies are insecure so they take it out on ours" thing. Just clarifying.

1) Cheerleaders aren't always mean.

2)Wearing glasses does not make anyone a nerd.
fax6.jpg

3)Bill pullman is not the president of america.
kn0h.jpg

4)Sylvester stallone is not a boxer.
5od2.jpg

5)A girl cannot get pregnant jus by kissing a guy.

And

Oh yeah

6)Santa claus isn't real.

LOL.

Winterfrost

Shadow-of-Sundered-Star
I can actually give a pretty good example of assholes.
My best friend, Colton, is an asshole over the internet. Towards me, mainly (it's actually due to miscommunication half of the time) but in reality, he's the nicest dude I've ever met.
But there's a weird psychology behind the screen.
I'm smarter than hell on here, and I've no fear of talking to others and helping them out.
but in reality, I'm the most awkward dude you'll ever met, I stutter with my words and I end out coming out like I'm a dumbshit.
It's not that people tend to be assholes, either on purpose or on accident, but because the internet brings out the inner person they are.
So, assholes use this to get all the anger out of them, before they begin to talk in the real world again. I'm not entirely sure if I'm making sense, but basically...internet is the only excuse to use to be an asshole (for these certain types of people)

Meg

Are you incapable of responding to my posts without being an asshole? :ermm:

Oh look, an asshole on the Internet. Shall we examine what drives you to act this way? :troll:Nah, I'm just going to clarify what I meant since it seems you didn't understand it. ONE of the many possible explanations for why someone could result to being an Internet asshole is that they are insecure in real life, so they take it out on others online. That is only one possible reason and just because someone is an asshole because they are insecure, does not mean that everyone who is an asshole is insecure. I for one am an asshole, but I'm very secure. See what I mean?

Now, this thread isn't big enough for both our egos, so I'm going to bow out and put you on my ignore list again. This time to stay.

aoshi

Oh look, an asshole on the Internet. Shall we examine what drives you to act this way? :troll:

ONE of the many possible explanations for why someone could result to being an Internet asshole is that they are insecure in real life, so they take it out on others online. That is only one possible reason and just because someone is an asshole because they are insecure, does not mean that everyone who is an asshole is insecure. I for one am an asshole, but I'm very secure. See what I mean?

Now, this thread isn't big enough for both our egos, so I'm going to bow out and put you on my ignore list again. This time to stay.

LOL, I am not the one quick in jumping to conclusions on what makes an "internet asshole" or any one who is insecure in life jus by reading anything from the internet.And about me being an asshole, why don't you 'report' me like you always do. May be contact my ISP to permanently sever my internet connection since you claim all "internet assholes" always troll anywhere they go. Good luck with that but you will fail like you tried the previous couple of times(of reporting me)....LOL.

2wt8y.gif

Top Bottom