• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Who else thinks that DmC is good and DMC actually needed a reboot?

MichiGen

I've played all the games and loved them (except DMC 2) and I will probably miss the old Dante characters, but rather than have another DMC 5 I would like to get a sequel for DmC. I'm happy that a new developers come up with new approach which resulted for example in gorgeous and crazy level design, awesome soundtrack, or best aerial combat in the series. I would appreciate deeper dialogues in cutscenes, better camera system + possibility for hard lock-on as it was in previous games, but overall I'm satisfied with the evolution of this reboot.

Honestly with broken ending of DMC 2 and confusion about Nero, his origin, and basically everything about him in DMC 4 the Devil May Cry really needed a reboot. Not to mention different personality of Dante in every game. His character in DMC 4 (which takes place between DMC 1 and DMC 2) has nothing in common with Dante from DMC 1 or 2. He is a very serious demon killer in DMC 1 , then suddenly he's a cool guy in DMC 4 with cheesy one liners, and once again he's the serious demon killer again in DMC 2, but this time he almost doesn't talk at all. Basically there was never only one Dante, there were several different personalities of Dante. The only thing which all Dantes have common is their look. It's just like Kat said at the end of the game "You are Dante, nothing more and nothing less."
steamcommunity. com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=125626791

I really love DMC 1,3 and 4. Every game for its own qualities. But as a series, it's a ridiculous mess.
I hope we'll see DmC 2 from Ninja Theory where they'll further develop the story, Dante and Vergil's relationship and their characters. Cheers :)

Downfall

Either DmC will have a sequel, or it will go back to the old series. Either way, I just hope they bring the combat back up to speed.

HatredIsJoy

I was primed to jump in and start the hate train but then I noticed that this thread is only for people that like DmC. STOP RESTRICTING MUH FREEDOM OF SPEECH YOU JERK ;_;

Agent47_89

It's more likely DmC2 or nothing. And more likely nothing. DMC is more niche (now anyway) that they thought and GOW is unique in sales.

Kishido

Hunter
Well I like DmC very much and after DMC 4 I honestly thought it needed a reboot as well after the story went bullshit with Nero and Co

If DmC won't get a sequel I hope Capcom will learn out of their mistakes made in both games and give us something new... But I doubt that and mostly think there won't be a DMC game for a long long time... So I'm all for DmC 2 cuz I give that game a chance to evolve as for example DMC3 evolved x 10 after DMC2... And they of course can input most stuff from the old series as well into DmC2... And if not with NT, than give it to ... "you know who" but follow this story

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
I think DmC is good but not great and I'm not sure if a reboot was needed because they do you define needing a reboot?

I would say it needed a change because i was getting dissapointed wit the story and the characters in 4.

mrrandomlulz

Monsuuuta moonssuta mo mo mo mo monsuuta
mlfw9047-Silly_Pants.png

As much as I love the new one, I love the original more.

MichiGen

I was primed to jump in and start the hate train but then I noticed that this thread is only for people that like DmC. STOP RESTRICTING MUH FREEDOM OF SPEECH YOU JERK ;_;

Haha, sorry buddy xD

Well I like DmC very much and after DMC 4 I honestly thought it needed a reboot as well after the story went bullshit with Nero and Co...
Completely agree. They can input characters, bosses, weapons and other stuff from previous DMC games. That would be interesting to see. I hope this game will have good legs and will manage to sell at least 2 millions combined on all 3 platforms. Bayonetta was also selling very slowly but it managed to sell 2m.

I think DmC is good but not great and I'm not sure if a reboot was needed because they do you define needing a reboot?
I think it was needed because there are plot holes in original DMC series, and DMC 4 instead of clearing things up introduced new character - Nero and everything became even more unclear. Although I really love DMC 1,3:SE and 4, the story of Devil May Cry as a series was going nowhere. People should stop this blindly hating and at least try this and give it a chance to introduce new, more coherent story.

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
I've played all the games and loved them (except DMC 2) and I will probably miss the old Dante characters, but rather than have another DMC 5 I would like to get a sequel for DmC. I'm happy that a new developers come up with new approach which resulted for example in gorgeous and crazy level design, awesome soundtrack, or best aerial combat in the series. I would appreciate deeper dialogues in cutscenes, better camera system + possibility for hard lock-on as it was in previous games, but overall I'm satisfied with the evolution of this reboot.

Honestly with broken ending of DMC 2 and confusion about Nero, his origin, and basically everything about him in DMC 4 the Devil May Cry really needed a reboot. Not to mention different personality of Dante in every game. His character in DMC 4 (which takes place between DMC 1 and DMC 2) has nothing in common with Dante from DMC 1 or 2. He is a very serious demon killer in DMC 1 , then suddenly he's a cool guy in DMC 4 with cheesy one liners, and once again he's the serious demon killer again in DMC 2, but this time he almost doesn't talk at all. Basically there was never only one Dante, there were several different personalities of Dante. The only thing which all Dantes have common is their look. It's just like Kat said at the end of the game "You are Dante, nothing more and nothing less."
steamcommunity. com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=125626791

I really love DMC 1,3 and 4. Every game for its own qualities. But as a series, it's a ridiculous mess.
I hope we'll see DmC 2 from Ninja Theory where they'll further develop the story, Dante and Vergil's relationship and their characters. Cheers :)

That's an opinion, not necessarily a fact.

The ''evolution of the reboot''? Don't you mean the evolution of the series? There's only been one reboot game so far. Besides, that's another opinion.

Not really. I could explain Nero's origins if I wanted to. I already have come up with a number of possibilities of his origins in the thread Nero's Origins - What Do You Think? As for the development of his character and appearance, that can change over the course of the games, like Raiden from MGS. It shouldn't have to be a problem. More like a boon, actually. Character development is usually an important part of video games; one that shouldn't be ignored.

Dante's changing over the course of the series is probably due to a different team working on DMC almost every time. The guys from Platinum Games basically worked on DMC1, DMC2 was created by Itsuno, not Kamiya and the gang. DMC3 was created by the same people, only they focused on the success of DMC1 more. DMC4 had one guy from DMC1 working on it as director, which doesn't mean much, I suppose.

DMC needing a reboot is simply not true. Perhaps update it a bit every time, so that it stays interesting. Like Metal Gear Solid or like most games do. It doesn't matter which example. If Capcom doesn't know how to fix this, they need to stop being stuck in this one track mindset. Give their employees more freedom, perhaps. Unfortunately, they did something they didn't need to do by rebooting it, taking the easy way out, which probably cost less money as well. Consequently, there was huge backlash by a lot of people who've played DMC since 2001, and I feel they have a point. You don't just change a series this radically after no less than four games had already been made. You've got an obligation to the consumer not to be deceptive about the course of your product. They'd already veered off track with DMC2, but at least that game was still DMC-ish. Now the most DMC-like feature of DmC is the gameplay, and even that focuses on 'epicness' and useless platforming, instead of style like it used to.

I don't mean to sound like a 'hater', but I'm getting tired of people saying ''you're not faithful to the series if you don't like this game''. I don't want to be faithful to a brand name, I want to be faithful to the games. I understand the series is kind of a mess, as shown when Dante doesn't recognize Vergil in DMC1, while he fought him in DMC3, years before. If they wanted Dante to go through more change, they could just do that over the course of DMC5 and so on. No need for a reboot. And if they want to reboot it, why not do that while keeping the original DMC style? This reboot was just the easy way out, and brought them fast money. If they like the new direction, fine. But you can't expect every fan to, and indirectly insulting those fans in DmC is pitiful.

I do ask people here to reply in a civil manner, and I'm not talking about just my comment. I'm afraid this thread will be a disaster if people don't take it easy. You can be angry about things, but don't project that anger towards commenters.

SugarMoon

It's One on One.
I don't think it needed a reboot all. A reboot was the last thing I expected when they announced a new DMC game was coming out. They still had a lot of material to work with in the original series. Plenty of ideas could've came from them.

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
It didn't need a reboot. It just needed more care with it. Capcom put so much into the RE series, and SF franchise, yet the completely put little into DMC.

Anyway, I am glad that they did reboot it, and made it fresh again, but honestly, they could have made it fresh without rebooting it.

scionicspectre

From a gameplay perspective, DmC is so much better. It's more fluid, with every move available at any time without excessive management of styles. The enemies are pretty fun and varied, since you have more ways to play at your disposal, and they make you take advantage of it. So many more ways to kill harpies than there were to kill those angel dudes in DMC 3, for instance. I don't think anyone can argue DmC's gameplay doesn't at least reach up to the previous titles' levels of enjoyment, interest, and flexibility. And now we get the bonus of focusing more on playing than the controls, which is great for new players.

But the story, man. I don't know... it must be about 4 to 5 times better than the previous series, on almost any scale of judgment, except for perhaps cheesiness. I mean, DmC tries from time to time, but it can never reach the levels of cheese exuded by the originals, sorry.

Seriously, anyone who is in doubt of DmC's relevance in comparison to DMC 1-4 is just in a different universe where it would take a lot of translation just to reach them. Great games for their time, of course, but DmC isn't just a great Devil May Cry game- it's an amazing game compared to those in its genre today, as the original DMC was. I think it's a suitable successor to the franchise in any way we could have hoped for.

HatredIsJoy

I don't think anyone can argue DmC's gameplay doesn't at least reach up to the previous titles' levels of enjoyment, interest, and flexibility.

But the story, man. I don't know... it must be about 4 to 5 times better than the previous series, on almost any scale of judgment, except for perhaps cheesiness.

I am way too tired of repeating all the complaints about DmC's "improved" gameplay (i was arguing about this game long before I started posting here), but I am, yet again, simply flabergasted by seeing any kind of praise for DmC's plot. Pong and Tetris have better plots than this, and they have no plot at all!

AlchemistFromEden

I am way too tired of repeating all the complaints about DmC's "improved" gameplay (i was arguing about this game long before I started posting here), but I am, yet again, simply flabergasted by seeing any kind of praise for DmC's plot. Pong and Tetris have better plots than this, and they have no plot at all!
seriously dude, don't come to a POSITIVE thread with your nitpicking, its annoying as **** seriously find something else to do or go back to 4chan and neoseeker

RhythmDemon

Half Demon
Well I dont think it needed a reboot but I guess I can kind of sorta see why they did it...maybe? I actually have no idea. But even if I dont like it complaining wont get me anywhere so I dont. I just did not buy the game. That is the most effective thing I as a consumer can do.

I am glad some people like the reboot but its not for me. Well except maybe the sick ass scenery haha. NT did VERY well on that.

AlchemistFromEden

I am a responsible consumer, I believe that it is my duty to spread the truth about bad wares.
case and point, the ware ISN'T objectively bad, NT's and every other developer's job is to make an excellent game, regardless of the series origins if the game is excellent then they did their job as game designers, PERIOD

HatredIsJoy

case and point, the ware ISN'T objectively bad, NT's and every other developer's job is to make an excellent game, regardless of the series origins if the game is excellent then they did their job as game designers, PERIOD

Well that's just your opinion, man. I believe that it's far from excellent, so I feel obliged to help people avoid it. It will be very unfortunate if Capcom earns enough money from this to pay NT for a second game - the market is already oversaturated with cashgrabs and filler.

AlchemistFromEden

Well that's just your opinion, man. I believe that it's far from excellent, so I feel obliged to help people avoid it. It will be very unfortunate if Capcom earns enough money from this to pay NT for a second game - the market is already oversaturated with cashgrabs and filler.
yeah people don't "need your help" kid, also, funny how you say that the market is oversaturated with cashgrabs and filler and yet you support dmc4, speaking of which, there's a forum for that game, GO OVER THERE, seriously, its sad if you don't have anything else to do but make it your mission to harass any positive discussion about this game, and no, you aren't noble or innocent when you do **** like that, its not cool, there's no point and it makes you look like an ass, so would you kindly bugger off and STOP TRYING TO FORCE YOUR NEGATIVE OPINION DOWN EVERY POSITIVE POST ABOUT THIS GAME

Top Bottom