• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Which would sell more? DmC2 or DMC5

Which would sell more?

• DmC2

Votes: 5 12.5%
  • DMC(5)

Votes: 27 67.5%
  • Neither next gen console are screwed

Votes: 2 5.0%
  • About even

Votes: 6 15.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MigsRZXAStylish

In a place where no one follows me. i Walk Alone!
Though, haven't played DmC yet, I think DMC5 has a better chance of getting more success than its competitor because many people (both pro-DmC and definitely anti-DmC) would go for DMC whereas DmC2 would not get the love from both the sides.

With all that said, I ask you a question. Does number of sales really matter that much? I mean, you'll still enjoy the game regardless of the sales number!
You're right on that part. Sales don't make a game good. It's its contents that count, which is mostly its gameplay, storytelling and replay value. We need a balance of those three the most.

Terrutas

Depends. If they market DmC as a game more for casual gamers, then that would probably sell better just because it's a bigger market.

Didn't they do exactly that? I remember one of NT's dudes saying "We want to make casuals feel like pros" or something.

Regardless, DMC5 will sell more simply because of quality and established gameplay.

Meg

Didn't they do exactly that? I remember one of NT's dudes saying "We want to make casuals feel like pros" or something.

Regardless, DMC5 will sell more simply because of quality and established gameplay.
They also stressed how hardcore the game was with advanced mechanics like jump canceling. They tried to go after the "hardcore" DMC fans (who decided they wouldn't buy it almost immediately), which alienated more casual gamers. They didn't know who to market to. They kept switching between wanting to reach out to casual gamers and wanting to hold on to a more hardcore fanbase. You can't have both.

VineBigBoss

GGXRD <3
They also stressed how hardcore the game was with advanced mechanics like jump canceling. They tried to go after the "hardcore" DMC fans (who decided they wouldn't buy it almost immediately), which alienated more casual gamers. They didn't know who to market to. They kept switching between wanting to reach out to casual gamers and wanting to hold on to a more hardcore fanbase. You can't have both.

True, and i think it's even more specific than just targeting a more "hardcore" audience, but they tried to market it to older fans to the series itself. I mean, jump-canceling is not exactly a "hardcore" feature and that's what they don't have seem to understand by itself, it is something very unique to DMC, there are other hack'n'slash that focuses on a hardcore audience (like Ninja Gaiden) but doesn't put this much emphasis on aerial combat itself. The advanced combat of DMC doesn't comes just from jump-cancels but even from more basic and "core" things like buffering, evading input delays, weapons that can be used to reach very different effects on the general design itself and the styles themselves that makes a lot of playstyles possible with their very own deepness; i tink they've watched some Truestyle Tournaments but never really dived into the "hardcore" community of DMC to take a look at their discussions about the mechanics and all that things.

IncarnatedDemon

DmC 2 would sell more

1) Motion capture
2) Hangover story with "i am a teen" appeal
3) realistic art style - ethnocentrism plays a role. I see alot of people go "eww anime" (even on these forums)
4) Capcom told DMC fans to f off, alot DMC fans will reply back "F off" if they release DMC 5
5) Hack and Slash isn't a big seller it seems - never seem to reach over 2.5m easily within 3 months (correct me if iam wrong)

So yeah if they release DmC 2 - id say it would sell more for reasons above.

These days people dont seem to want a game that is hardcore or very polished. People care more about graphics and pretty enviroments.

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
DmC 2 would sell more

1) Motion capture
3) realistic art style - ethnocentrism plays a role. I see alot of people go "eww anime" (even on these forums)
4) Capcom told DMC fans to f off, alot DMC fans will reply back "F off" if they release DMC 5
5) Hack and Slash isn't a big seller it seems - never seem to reach over 2.5m easily within 3 months (correct me if iam wrong)

These days people dont seem to want a game that is hardcore or very polished. People care more about graphics and pretty enviroments.

DMC4 did it and God of War always do it....pass 2.5m units.

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
Considering how sales for DmC went, I'd say DMC5 would sell better. Plus there are a lot of fans who want a sequel...certainly more than DmC it would seem.

DmC 2 would sell more

1) Motion capture

Graphics improved a lot over the years. DMC4 had realism style in general,you can't say that was anime style because I have to disagree.Besides,it was made 5 years ago,and DmC is made more 'comic' style (especially in VD) rather than anime,but then again,these are two different things,anime and comics are not the same thing as a video game,artwork speaking.If you look at the artbooks you'll see they're not made anime style.
And I don't see why this is so much of an inconvenience,if it's visually appealing, the gameplay and story are good,I don't think it's that much of a matter.But,of course,there are people who think otherwise.

It doesn't make me happy to know I buy a game made by producers who don't give a damn about the fans,after all,without these fans they wouldn't make the money they have now.But if they make it good,I'm sorry but I wouldn't resist without buying it,who gives a damn,if it's a good DMC game,so be it.
But still,this kind of attitude ****es me off and I'm not sure if this would be a smart marketing strategy if they behave like this to the fans and gamers in general.

Hack and Slash has always been one of the favourite type of games,rather than shooting and such,it gave me more flexibility and beautiful combos,more exploring etc.It depends on what people like.

You're right on that part. Sales don't make a game good. It's its contents that count, which is mostly its gameplay, storytelling and replay value. We need a balance of those three the most.

Sales do play an important part in marketing strategy. For example,if a dude buys a game and tells you it is good and you play it and you enjoy it,of course it would make you buy it too.Let's put it like this,for example,movies. How do you know a movie is good? Based on how many watched it and bought it,how large the targeted audience was and how many enjoyed it. It's futile to think a 100 million dollars movie would sell good if people don't buy it.
Same with games. If a game has many sales it means many people liked the gameplay,the story,the atmosphere that game brings and how if made you felt while playing it,of course it depends on people's tastes,many may enjoy hack n slash,shooting,adventure,fantasy,reality etc but what's important if it made you enjoy playing it.Not in every case,of course.

I,personally play video games for the fact I like being the character I'm playing and if the gameplay it's interesting by any means,of course the story also plays an important part in it,but I don't feel like watching a movie in a video game, because if video games would be 70-80% story telling then it wouldn't BE a video game afterall.
I simply enjoy a good gameplay,the atmosphere,music,story but a video game needs to remain a video game.

IncarnatedDemon

The issue with DMC is that they didn't use a year on the character design.

Imagine how original Dante would look like after a year of work :p

IncarnatedDemon

It doesn't really matter i just want to see Original Dante in next gen graphics.
Same here.

DMC 3 Dante was ok but i felt that Capcom barely did anything for the character design. And DMC 4 Dante seemed far to undetailed in my opinion.

Imagine DMC 1 Dante with nexgen :D

I just hope they dont create a DMC 4 Prototype because no offence - he looked like a final Fantasy guy and far to skinny face.

It doesn't really matter i just want to see Original Dante in next gen graphics.
Me too.But I want them to keep Dante's style and look,with little unnoticeable changes,the thing I want is to make him familiar yet again with the fans and not only.
[Btw,I just noticed the gif in your signature.Good one xD]

Same here.

DMC 3 Dante was ok but i felt that Capcom barely did anything for the character design. And DMC 4 Dante seemed far to undetailed in my opinion.

Imagine DMC 1 Dante with nexgen :D

I just hope they dont create a DMC 4 Prototype because no offence - he looked like a final Fantasy guy and far to skinny face.
DMC4 Dante looks faaar too eccentric,if they would have got rid of the unnecesary belts and such he would have looked more like Dante in my opinion.But he was good-looking,and I think he looked more manly compared to Final Fantasy game characters xD.

IncarnatedDemon

I want a design with this kind of feel to it, but mixed with realistic style:
Dante.full.566393.jpg

Top Bottom