• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Which .do you think is more shakespearean, DmC or DMC?

Alittleacorn

Smile it confuses people
I gotta remember to link this whenever someone cracks a bad shakespearean joke for DmC :lol: a few people picked on that when one of the mocap actors said it.

Nekodark

We don't know enough of the story to even make that judgment, the actor who said it knows the story so maybe she knows something we don't or it is just the feeling from the story she got who am I to say what she feels and got from it is wrong.

Tbh I can't even say DMC had that feeling as well since things that were in Shakespeare was written about long before Shakespeare wrote..so yeah tragic stories and such is not just Shakespeare...then again even though I love all the original DMC games for different reasons they were never big on their story telling at least to me and I love the stories in games following them with DMC not so much I just had fun with the game and let it play out.

rocketvergil

Vergil's apprentice, the successor to yamato
SHakespeare?
I am sorry to say but we have officially run out if things to discuss on the forums

Tiran

The great pretender.
This post proves you know nothing of what wakes a work Shakespearean... At all.

The term is used to define the nature of the story that is told, how it's told, how the characters play of one another, and their relation to one another- not how the actor performs a single character. Shakespeare was a writer, not an actor. The term 'Shakespearean' refers to story elements and structure- not performance. That DMC scene is theatrical, not Shakespearean... AND IT'S VERY BADLY PERFORMED, REGARDLESS!!!!

DmC, in the other hand, is very Shakespearean. In fact, it's story, of the family split apart, two brothers at odds over the father's legacy while combating the king who usurped the throne sending all their lives and the world into chaos and despair while the one lost son who is destined to right these wrongs is living the lowly life of a peasant until his conscience- delivered in the form of an attractive female interest brings him into the battle.This is a lot like some of the stories Shakespeare wrote. Like Hamlet (Which the Lion King was based on actually). In the end, Kat, formerly the blind loyal servant of the would be king Vergil is betrayed by his intent and left to die until the peasant prodigal son of Sparda rises as a hero for the first time to rescue her. It's all very Shakespearean.

Now talk what you f#cking know and keep our beloved rocket surfing, confetti throwing, half demon surfer dude out of it and let him rest while they try something new. Thank you.

meg5493

Praise the Sun!
This post proves you know nothing of what wakes a work Shakespearean... At all.

The term is used to define the nature of the story that is told, how it's told, how the characters play of one another, and their relation to one another- not how the actor performs a single character. Shakespeare was a writer, not an actor. The term 'Shakespearean' refers to story elements and structure- not performance. That DMC scene is theatrical, not Shakespearean... AND IT'S VERY BADLY PERFORMED, REGARDLESS!!!!

DmC, in the other hand, is very Shakespearean. In fact, it's story, of the family split apart, two brothers at odds over the father's legacy while combating the king who usurped the throne sending all their lives and the world into chaos and despair while the one lost son who is destined to right these wrongs is living the lowly life of a peasant until his conscience- delivered in the form of an attractive female interest brings him into the battle.This is a lot like some of the stories Shakespeare wrote. Like Hamlet (Which the Lion King was based on actually). In the end, Kat, formerly the blind loyal servant of the would be king Vergil is betrayed by his intent and left to die until the peasant prodigal son of Sparda rises as a hero for the first time to rescue her. It's all very Shakespearean.

Now talk what you f#cking know and keep our beloved rocket surfing, confetti throwing, half demon surfer dude out of it and let him rest while they try something new. Thank you.
hqdefault.jpg

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
Given the concepts, I'd say they're both Shakespearean in their own ways.

As Tiran...put it...Shakespearean is derived of the concepts, themes, and archetypes used in something, not theatricality.

nightrunner_ks

You are not in control
Just letting you guys know that the MoCap actor for Lilith never said the game itself was Shakespearean, she said that the themes and ideas it explores are Shakespearean, which is completely true. Like she mentioned, revenge, power, lust etc are prominent parts of Shakespeare's texts, and just because DmC features similar ideas to Shakespeare, doesn't mean the game is trying to be Shakespearean.

Sometimes people are just absolutely retarded and hear what they want to hear.

nightrunner_ks

You are not in control
I don't recall "**** you! **** you! **** you!" in Shakespear. Could be wrong though, I found the works rather dull :)

Like I just said, the game itself is not Shakespearean, its just that some of the central plot ideas are similar to what you would find Shakespeare.

DmC isn't the only game to feature Shakespearean ideas, almost every game in the past few years which has had a storyline has incorporated some of his ideas.

8BitHero

Scrub
I don't recall "**** you! **** you! **** you!" in Shakespear. Could be wrong though, I found the works rather dull :)
Unrelated to DMC, Related to Shakespeare:
No but instead it was worse than any "Fugg You".
Such as: you green sickness-carrion. You baggage! You tallow face.
Shakespeares works (like Romeo and Juliet) have far more swearing and insults than this DmC.

Breaking8ad

i am the danger, i am the one who knocks!!
Was it Edger Allen Poe or Shakespeare that I never liked? probably both. I have found the works kind of overrated and lowly. The only old poetry that I ever liked was by Dante Alighieri.

berto

I Saw the Devil
Shakespearean? Nether. Just because DMC4 had more old english styled dialogue doesn't mean it's Shakespeare and just because DmC is better written doesn't mean it compares to the Shakespeare. There's more to a Shakespearean play than pretty language and and memorable characters; Shakespeare dove into the most basic of human desires, greed, lust, envy, wrath, love, hate and the extents to which someone will go to obtain that which they want most. DmC is a parody of modern culture with action, boobs, and Nosia.

fCA4a24r6Vg.jpg

meg5493

Praise the Sun!
Shakespearean? Nether. Just because DMC4 had more old english styled dialogue doesn't mean it's Shakespeare and just because DmC is better written doesn't mean it compares to the Shakespeare. There's more to a Shakespearean play than pretty language and and memorable characters; Shakespeare dove into the most basic of human desires, greed, lust, envy, wrath, love, hate and the extents to which someone will go to obtain that which they want most. DmC is a parody of modern culture with action, boobs, and Nosia.

fCA4a24r6Vg.jpg
omg that pic 0////0 panty and stocking with garterbelt right?

Top Bottom