• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

What the hell is Nevan?

Shadow

the horror was for love
Premium
What is Nevan? Sexy as all get out. Mmm-hmmm. :thumbsup: Me likey.

Answering in a more logical manner, however: I believe she's a succubus. That's really all that makes sense to me, given the blatant sexuality of Nevan's character, as well as how she drains life through a kiss. Though I guess one could argue that she's some combination of creatures? *shrugs* Her title of "lightning witch" gives me pause, though. Maybe she was an enchantress who became a demon and so retained those enchantress-y powers of seduction/electrocution?

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
Nevan is a combination of a vampire, succubus and your worst under-dressed nightmare covered in bats ;)

V

Oldschool DMC fan
Her attack is like a succubus, although her appearance suggests classic vampire. You also gain the ability to fly from her as well.

You could say she is a soul-eating vampire, or a vampire-lookin' succubus. I dunno. But she is a demon, being one of the "demon guardians" of Temen-Ni-Gru.

Last edited:

Viper

Premium
The wiki used to mention the possibility of her being a type of vampire/succubus creature from Irish literature, and it kinda sit well with me cause she was said to drive creative people mad, making them obsessed with her image. It made sense when combined with the electric guitar she turns into, cause that too is a tool of creative people, and male singers often write songs about women they love.

Last edited:

Lord Nero

Ultraviolet Sentinel
The wiki used to mention the possibility of her being a type of vampire/succubus creature from Irish literature, and it kinda sit well with me cause she was said to drive creative people mad, making them obsessed with her image. It made sense when combined with the electric guitar she turns into, cause that too is a tool of creative people, and male singers often write songs about women they love.
What creature would that be? A banshee? Because she's nothing like a banshee.

There's also the leanan sídhe. They are fairy muses that ask people for their love. If they refuse, she must be their slave. Now that's the problem, because Nevan didn't just take no for an answer. She also seemed to want to kill Dante just like the other demons, not love him.
That said, it's possible this myth was the inspiration, yes.

She's also literally called a witch, though. So maybe she's a combination of the two.

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
Well could it be that's she 's just demon witch? Like I said i don't think that if she flirts with dante that makes her Succubus....

Viper

Premium
What creature would that be? A banshee? Because she's nothing like a banshee.

There's also the leanan sídhe. They are fairy muses that ask people for their love. If they refuse, she must be their slave. Now that's the problem, because Nevan didn't just take no for an answer. She also seemed to want to kill Dante just like the other demons, not love him.
That said, it's possible this myth was the inspiration, yes.

She's also literally called a witch, though. So maybe she's a combination of the two.

I think it was indeed leanan sidhe they mentioned, wasn't sure about the spelling of the word. On their wikipedia page there is a mention of Yeats using a slightly different view on them, with emphasis on vampiric tendencies. All of this could have possibly worked as inspiration, there are plenty of examples in DMC that shows they didn't follow mythology like a straight path, but instead took what sounded good and made their own version.

Calling her just a witch is troublesome, as those are generally humans that borrowed power from the devil in exchange for their soul. She couldn't have survived for so long if she was just that, though one can combine it with the belief of humans actually becoming demons if right conditions are met. I've come across that in Japanese folklore, don't know if others have it too.

Lord Nero

Ultraviolet Sentinel
I think it was indeed leanan sidhe they mentioned, wasn't sure about the spelling of the word. On their wikipedia page there is a mention of Yeats using a slightly different view on them, with emphasis on vampiric tendencies. All of this could have possibly worked as inspiration, there are plenty of examples in DMC that shows they didn't follow mythology like a straight path, but instead took what sounded good and made their own version.

Calling her just a witch is troublesome, as those are generally humans that borrowed power from the devil in exchange for their soul. She couldn't have survived for so long if she was just that, though one can combine it with the belief of humans actually becoming demons if right conditions are met. I've come across that in Japanese folklore, don't know if others have it too.
Naah, witches don't borrow power from the devil. Those are probably demonic cultists you're thinking about. Witches are just humans who started getting into magic, and usually specialize in some form of alchemy. They are the equivalent of wizards in most media. Magic is not necessarily linked to the devil.

In video games, I don't think it matters: you can be a fairy as well as a witch, I suppose.

Innsmouth, I think that considering the gameplay of her wanting to kiss the life out of you and using magic, she's probably a leannan sídhe, or at least Capcom's interpretation of a demonic version of it.

Viper

Premium
Naah, witches don't borrow power from the devil. Those are probably demonic cultists you're thinking about. Witches are just humans who started getting into magic, and usually specialize in some form of alchemy. They are the equivalent of wizards in most media. Magic is not necessarily linked to the devil.

In video games, I don't think it matters: you can be a fairy as well as a witch, I suppose.

Innsmouth, I think that considering the gameplay of her wanting to kiss the life out of you and using magic, she's probably a leannan sídhe, or at least Capcom's interpretation of a demonic version of it.

When I think of a witch I use the image from a Croatian book published in the first half of 20th century, which in turn as accurately as possible referenced old beliefs from middle ages onwards, and they are always described as devil worshipers, even lovers of a devil. It's quite possible that with mentality of that time being as it is, any woman that deviated from the religious image was instantaneously labeled as someone being in cahoots with the Hell dwellers and any malicious magic could only have come from the devil, the ultimate symbol of evil.

There is also Bayonetta, who is a witch with demons under contract.

We have witches in modern times, as bizarre as it sounds, and when I think about it, their 'magic' comes from old superstitions and darker side of other religions. Considering it's always in service of evil, it's why I don't like when girls call themselves witches.

Top Bottom