• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

What should/shouldn't rub off from DmC into DMC5?

IncarnatedDemon

Speaking of hidden stuff. In Darkness 2 there were these reliecs you could find.

When you found em you got currency + a "Reliec" that with history of the reliec.

EvilX-81

Boo hoo. I think almost every game that has hidden stuff such as Blood Orbs, Rings, Coins, etc (mostly Mario and Sonic games) does it like this.

If that is the case, then Sonic and Mario and other games that DO THE EXACT SAME THING should follow in DmC's footsteps.

Mario games; coins are not integral to a successful end rank/score. Even if they were, if I had to go around finding hidden blocks to bop for coins to end the level with a perfect rank, it'd be boring garbage too.

Sonic; at least with the latest games, those rings affect your rank, you don't have to go out of your way to collect the optimum amount, they're usually and practically in your way. Just don't get hit too much.

Also, neither of these games are hack and slashers.

And finally, saying not to improve an aspect because other games do it too is invalid. That just means depending on the game that they're doing it crappy too.

Plus it doesn't matter whatsoever since it only counts and register your highest grade (that you've earned) so if you got a D-Rank once it won't matter if you already had a S-SSS in the same mission since it only counts your highest score (this isn't Bayonetta....a load of BS that was).

That's well and good after one has succeeded getting the rank. But in the meantime, you go through a level, styling on enemies, making great time, and searching out those errant orbs, but you **** up and wind up with a A or B overall rank. Too bad, go through the same level finding and collecting those boring, tedious orbs all over again. And even after, I have to just accept a bad orb score denting my rank if I don't want to spend time going out of my way to do such.

Also I don't understand the complaint for Bayonetta, since you can choose whether you want to update the score or not.

But Bayo's a good example of also doing this right; no hidden ring collecting crap. How much damage did you take? What's your combo score? How fast did you complete the level? Did you use an item? Pure Platinum.

VineBigBoss

GGXRD <3
Could you explain this?

This pretty much locking on in the past DMC games.
Unnecessary holding down of a button.
More so in the first game, since you can't shoot while standing on the ground, unless you hold down R1.

Here, you're not actually holding down all the time but only for a few moves.

DMC4 Dante movelist counts with 72 moves, while DmC Dante have 54. Even DMC3 Corrupted Vergil (25 counting with Nelo's exclusive moves, and 19 without it)* have more moves than DmC Vergil (21 moves)*. And i've already explained this: with only one button and a combination of a command you can do, at least 3 (towards, away and neutral) basic moves with their very own follow-ups. While without them you're limited to one basic movement per button with each weapon (unless you add some awkward movements like DmC Stinger, i think it work better when you have gigantic hitboxes and enemies like in Bayonetta), with their respective follow-ups.

* - Not counting their teleports

You can practically choose what enemy you will attack without having to be in close-range, and this plays a major role in the game as your best displacement options are some offensive moves like Stinger or Rapid Slash. You can shoot without holding R1, and it will lock if you're near to an enemy, just a few weapons you have to actually hold lock-on to shoot and you can't fire them in the air too (Kalina Ann and Spiral, mainly). The exception to this is in DMC1, where you really have to hold the lock-on to actually shoot.

Sorry, I don't wanna "work around" a flawed mechanic.
I'd rather they just fix it so that lock-on is on toggle and I don't lose speed during lock-on.

Like I said before, R1 as the "draw weapon" button makes sense in older "survival horror" games.
They don't make sense here at all.

You can control either you will or not use the lock-on, and if you wanted to move away from the enemy without losing the lock-on you could use a bunch of another moves to do this (the universal ones being back flips and rolling). This mechanic can't really be called a flaw as it works fluid with the overall design and that's why you have another evasive moves like rolling, Stinger, back flips. Walking slower and having a second movement speed can be even a good feature for those who knows to use it and need to control space in a more precise way than pushing the analog stick harder or weaker. So, yeah, it's just your personal experience with this feature, at least you don't showed to us how it's a flaw per se.

That's implying that High Time must only be executed via back + attack.
This is what DmC's doing. Revamping the controls from the ground up so the signature moves don't becomelock-on dependent.

Yeah, and killing another two possible movements with each button in the process. This is the price it paid to don't be lock-on dependent.

Not at all, since it's fact that DMC was a Resident Evil reject and it's control scheme was merely adding upon typical controls of "survival horror" that's no longer relevant and will only be more cluttered if they continue this path.

And how this objectivly turns the control scheme of DMC "cluttered"? Only DMC1 was more like this. Still, you take one mechanic that looks like an "survival horror" and try to make it look like the whole game played like, let's say, RE3. Care to explain why the lock-on similar to survival horror games is a bad thing or how they hurt the game?

Vine, I'd like to discuss how the controls are just better and that their really isn't a loss of moves, Don't use the number's by just counting the abilities you can buy for both games. A lot of stuff has been brought to DmC without it being listed in the abilities or moves menu.

P.S. PM me, with your links, we don't have to discuss it on this topic.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
-The training mode was a nice addition. That should stay.

-The interesting art direction. Limbo is quite a spectacle and impressive feat in itself. DmC has some of the most interesting and creative aesthetics I've seen in a video game in recent memory. How the possessed architecture morphs around you in real time is very impressive. The world itself seems to be alive with evil and is a rather fitting scenario to toss you in. More interesting to go through than the same old fire and brimstone pallet gothic castles that could easily fit just as well in a Castlevania game or something.

-The variety in the soundtrack. I like how bands contributed for this soundtrack and the tracks gave different areas its own personality. Past DMC games just had some kind of cheesy industrial rock stuck on an infinite loop like you borrowed an I-POD from the most boring guy in the world. I'm not saying the same kind of music but a playlist for a Devil May Cry could consist of bands like:
-Rise Against
-Breaking Benjamin
-Nine Inch Nails
-Five Finger Death Punch
-Disturbed
-Soundgarden
-Marylyn Manson
Just for example you know.

-The control scheme. Mechanically I think DmC is the best. Pulling of cool streamline combos are now just more comfortable in general to perform. Changing your weapons is a breeze when you just memorize how many times to hit the direction pad to get the weapon you want and being able to change up your tactics any time you want with the ease of just holding a button is convenient and comfortable. It needs some improvements but it's a very encouraging building block and something that should be incorporated in to the future. The mechanics have some major potential and it puts how the game should play on a good path. No more styles. That system was forced more than anything. DmC was still able to make that crazy Devil May Cry action come to life without limiting your moves. I like playing with all my toys at once.

-The better voice acting and more coherent stories. Whether you personally like the story DmC told is up to you however it was the best constructed narrative out of the bunch. Don't even try to say DMC isn't about story. The games always bothered to tell one so that means this story is part of the final product. At least put the effort to make it good. You put cutscenes and stories in for a reason Devil May Cry. Get me interested and stop making me make friends with the "SKIP" option. DmC could have been done better but it was on the right track. I'm still skipping though.

WHAT SHOULDN'T CARRY ON:
-The color coded enemy combinations. I find it weird how a system that does hold great combo potential is constantly trying to narrow your options. Ugh this is why I never liked styles. It narrows your options. DmC did something good with the mechanics but what they gave you to smack around was it's own worst enemy at times.

-The bleh boss battles. The boss battle should be the ultimate do or die test your might situation. Not some of the easiest parts of the game. Yes developers you can make a spectacle of a boss fight but, the actual fight is what is lacking. The final Vergil fight is the only boss fight in the game that is worthy of the lineage of boss fights Devil May Cry has offered in the past. Needs work.

-The difficulty in the harder modes. Overall the harder options aren't as difficult as say DMC 3. It's still fun but as a player in this series since its inception I can't help but acknowledge how the past games tried to make me work a little harder.

Having an easy mode for the other players are fine and dandy. Those elitist who act like more casual players aren't allowed to play Devil May Cry sound like children refusing to share their toys. Devil May Cry should be open to a wider crowd. Who are you to say it shouldn't? Don't confuse "dumbing down" for inclusiveness.

Let the players who want to show their stuff on Nephillim mode rock out and have fun without the game hating them. Games are for entertainment purposes only. If you are that gamer who is striving to be the most hardcore player out their sacrificing actual enjoyment then go do something else. I just want that suicide mode if I feel like having my balls rocked. DmC is still fun so I can't hate on it too much but I can feel that it's lacking in the challenge department at times. Kick it up in my area and you'll hear nothing from me.

DMC 1 is still my personal favorite for nostalgic heartstrings but, DmC is sitting on some good things. They just need to aim for that bullseye with a tad more focus. Work out the kinks and you can have the best Devil May Cry game ever on your hands.

Dusk Stalker

" Everybody gets a bullet!" -Axton
What should stay:

Practice mode.

As much as playing through the missions is training enough, it is good for those coming into the series to discover and practice on other enviorments.

What shouldn't stay:

The Gameplay.

I am so going to get flamed for this badly, but it didn't have the craziness of its predecessors and I couldn't feel it when I ran through it all. And the combat just seemed a bit....tame and too easy to master in an instant and the more I see from videos the more slow and sloppy it is getting in my opinion.(Again just my opinion and Turbo mode seems about the same speed as the game).

But also it took that usual, " I know their is more that I could do with him and I could push it," too, " Everything has been discovered and their is rarely anything you can discover."

Honestly in my opinion it just took the joy of discovering and made it boring as hell and makes some people feel less accomplished.

And the Color coded enemies breaks the flow of combat as many say, It really shouldn't be in the game

The story.

Yes it has a story, but it seems to be a bit more plotholes growing more then the Original which lacked a story(Depending or opinionwise) and it all seemed to predictable and forced on the players.

The music.

Nosia doesn't give that vibe of an epic boss battle or any other combat themes and techno doesn't give that feeling of killing. Yes their is some rock and Metal from Combichrist but its half and half. And it doesn't help when you hear wub's in your ear when your facing Drek or Rages.

What should stay:

Practice mode.

As much as playing through the missions is training enough, it is good for those coming into the series to discover and practice on other enviorments.

What shouldn't stay:

The Gameplay.

I am so going to get flamed for this badly, but it didn't have the craziness of its predecessors and I couldn't feel it when I ran through it all. And the combat just seemed a bit....tame and too easy to master in an instant and the more I see from videos the more slow and sloppy it is getting in my opinion.(Again just my opinion and Turbo mode seems about the same speed as the game).

But also it took that usual, " I know their is more that I could do with him and I could push it," too, " Everything has been discovered and their is rarely anything you can discover."

Honestly in my opinion it just took the joy of discovering and made it boring as hell and makes some people feel less accomplished.

And the Color coded enemies breaks the flow of combat as many say, It really shouldn't be in the game

Care to site with some sources and proof? Like something you do in DMC4 that you feel like you can't in DmC.

Dusk Stalker

Care to site with some sources and proof? Like something you do in DMC4 that you feel like you can't in DmC.

Basically I never knew about JC and tried to master it, it took me awhile to stay in the air and release more blows even to the point in DMC 4 I felt too proud that I managed to practice and use it.

In DmC, all your have to do is Demon whip in the air, jump, Demon whip in the air, jump again and etc. Yes I get you can do Aerial wave, Skirmish, Aerial flush, Fireworks anything but it felt to easy, and the JC seemed too easy for me to master.

And DT Distortion, its not in here and I never heard about it until 2011 in DMC 4.

Honestly I felt accomplished on getting it down, but on DmC I just didn't feel it.

Basically I never knew about JC and tried to master it, it took me awhile to stay in the air and release more blows even to the point in DMC 4 I felt too proud that I managed to practice and use it.

In DmC, all your have to do is Demon whip in the air, jump, Demon whip in the air, jump again and etc. Yes I get you can do Aerial wave, Skirmish, Aerial flush, Fireworks anything but it felt to easy, and the JC seemed too easy for me to master.

And DT Distortion, its not in here and I never heard about it until 2011 in DMC 4.

Honestly I felt accomplished on getting it down, but on DmC I just didn't feel it.

The complexity in DmC comes from your imagination. Try to utilize the moveset in non-orthodox ways, and you'll find yourself discovering things other than jump cancelling, which isn't some skill you're supposed to master, that's why it gives so little points if just used with no finesse.

Watch this.

Yes, there's no distortion, but do you really find that so impressive? you still can use Devil Trigger to cancel attacks, and also recover or prevent enemy damage.

Some questions for you:
Do you know how to hold charged shots without holding the button?
The way to manipulate kablooey and create fun combos?
The Angel Dodge and how it increases your speed temporarily.
Do you know what gun canceling is?

Dusk Stalker

The complexity in DmC comes from your imagination. Try to utilize the moveset in non-orthodox ways, and you'll find yourself discovering things other than jump cancelling, which isn't some skill you're supposed to master, that's why it gives so little points if just used with no finesse.

Actually, in groups not so much Finesse when you combine Aquilla's Round Trip with Osiris's Prop Shredder and the Revenant's bomb or the Aerial Flush or Overdrive.

Some questions for you:

To answer in order.

Yes.
Yes.
Yes.
And a big Yes.

Actually, in groups not so much Finesse when you combine Aquilla's Round Trip with Osiris's Prop Shredder and the Revenant's bomb or the Aerial Flush or Overdrive.

But you don't have to, that's the point. Can you show me an example of a creative combo that you've done? Or feel you can't do. The game doesn't force you to be creative, yes you can just win by doing obvious things, but its not because the combat isn't deep, it is, its just that the game
doesn't require you to master it to win.

Some other examples besides distortion and jump cancelling?

To answer in order.

Yes.
Yes.
Yes.
And a big Yes.

And really, you've mastered all those techniques and used them in all their possible ways. And don't realize the complexity of how easily switching between all those techniques leaves a large room for combo improvisation?

Man, talk about high expectations. Please do provide me of things like that in DMC4, and why those same elements worked then but don't work for you here, when you do feel up to it.

Dusk Stalker

But you don't have to, that's the point. Can you show me an example of a creative combo that you've done? Or feel you can't do. The game doesn't force you to be creative, yes you can just win by doing obvious things, but its not because the gameplay isn't deep, it is, its just not required to be successful.

As much as I wish I can show you, I don't have the ability to do so. But like I said its just my opinion just what's on my mind. I don't see the complexity in it.

As much as I wish I can show you, I don't have the ability to do so. But like I said its just my opinion just what's on my mind. I don't see the complexity.
I guess. I don't need visual proof from you, but you haven't named something in DMC4 other then Distortion and jump cancelling?

But anyway, like you said, just your opinion, I guess we can agree to disagree. If you do think of something feel free to reply.

Dusk Stalker

I guess. I don't need visual proof from you, but you haven't named something in DMC4 other then Distortion and jump cancelling?

But anyway, like you said, just your opinion, I guess we can agree to disagree. If you do think of something feel free to reply.

Alright thanks:)

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.

Watch this.

Yes, there's no distortion, but do you really find that so impressive? you still can use Devil Trigger to cancel attacks, and also recover or prevent enemy damage.

Some questions for you:
I like playing in an unorthodox manner. Being less methodical with the moves really opens up the chance to be really creative. The kablooey is really fun to experiment with in that regard.

Tmfaria

Member of the Order
All I ask...

Keep Dante's style/look and his one-liners. I may be the only person for this request however... :blink:

Goldsickle

DMC4 Dante movelist counts with 72 moves, while DmC Dante have 54.
Yeah, that seems to be a popular "argument" from people against DmC, that the more moves, the better.

But to begin, do you need that many moves?

Dante in DMC4 has more moves and weapons than Nero but Nero wound up being more fun to play.

At some point, the moves become redundant copies and variations and felt like it's just there to fill up slots (like Backslide).
Was it necessary for Dante to have two types of "rising uppercut" moves (Divine Dragon and Real Impact)?
In DmC, what they did was just compact these two moves into one.

Some of the Gunslinger moves are useless and redundant, like how a lot of the "Charged Shots" are just more powerful shots, rather than something with a different function.

Sorry but I don't buy the "more moves = better" reasoning.

You can practically choose what enemy you will attack without having to be in close-range,
I can do that without lock-on.

Although it would be better if there was a toggle lock-on without any effect on speed, a la ZOE or MGR.

You can shoot without holding R1, and it will lock if you're near to an enemy,
So? It's like that with DmC.

You can control either you will or not use the lock-on, and if you wanted to move away from the enemy without losing the lock-on you could use a bunch of another moves to do this (the universal ones being back flips and rolling).
You don't seem to be reading properly.

I don't want a "work-around". I want a "fix" for the problem, something they seem to be doing in DmC.

This mechanic can't really be called a flaw
It's a downright flaw when placed next to games where the lock-on is toggle and there are no loss in movement speed.
When I have an enemy in my sights in Metal Gear Rising, I can maintain my speed, dodging attacks while keeping that particular enemy on the camera without the need to hold down a button.

Walking slower and having a second movement speed can be even a good feature for those who knows to use it
It's just a dumb leftover from being a "survival horror" reject and you're just defending it for nostalgia.

Your "defending" of this mechanics are purely "work-arounds", instead of fixing the problem and you're just protecting it for your nostalgia.

Yeah, and killing another two possible movements with each button in the process. This is the price it paid to don't be lock-on dependent.
We still have Stinger and High Time in the game. What more moves do you want?
More flashy but dysfunctional crap?

And how this objectivly turns the control scheme of DMC "cluttered"? Only DMC1 was more like this. Still, you take one mechanic that looks like an "survival horror" and try to make it look like the whole game played like, let's say, RE3. Care to explain why the lock-on similar to survival horror games is a bad thing or how they hurt the game?
The need to "lock-on" only existed because developers at the time are still new to movement in a 3D environment back in the 90's.

Developers have made so much progress, with utilization of mouse + keyboard and dual analog sticks.

A lot of 3D games I played today either didn't have lock-on or didn't need them to be essential, showing that they aren't 100% necessary.

But as I keep saying, a lock-on to keep the enemy in your sights would still be a good thing, just not the way the first 4 DMC games did.

If a future DMC game gets made, they should carry over the mechanics of DmC, with a toggle-style lock-on.

Sunaka Marién

Eh, I personally don't mind there being less moves, but I think that it is pretty important to those who play DMC on an advanced level, because even if one move is basically just a variation of another move, there is still a more or less big visual difference, allowing you to have a bigger variation in combos.

VineBigBoss

GGXRD <3
Yeah, that seems to be a popular "argument" from people against DmC, that the more moves, the better.

But to begin, do you need that many moves?

Do you need to play videogames?

And we are talking about variety, which can be measured by the list of moves.

Dante in DMC4 has more moves and weapons than Nero but Nero wound up being more fun to play.

Opinion. This has no value for the discussion of the mechanics itself.

At some point, the moves become redundant copies and variations and felt like it's just there to fill up slots (like Backslide).
Was it necessary for Dante to have two types of "rising uppercut" moves (Divine Dragon and Real Impact)?
In DmC, what they did was just compact these two moves into one.

There's essentialy a lot of differences between this two moves even if they look similar: Rising Dragon do not have too much i-frame and don't have a direct follow-up too, not to talk about the damage and startup frames of the standard moves (non-charged). Real Impact have a lot of i-frames that make you safe after you connected the first hit and ends when you're nearly in middle-air. So, yes, they add variety and sum up to very different options to deal with bosses or stronger enemies.

Some of the Gunslinger moves are useless and redundant, like how a lot of the "Charged Shots" are just more powerful shots, rather than something with a different function.

In DMC3 the charged shots can stop one Abyss to throw their scythe after their "teleport" move, it have another properties, higher damage and stun values and can be useful to sustain the airborne position of an enemy while charging things like Drive, or simply gives you more time to buffer some melee inputs to pull-out one Wild Stom or the follow-up to Stinger.

No one said that. But it's a fact that "more moves = more variety and options".

I can do that without lock-on.

Although it would be better if there was a toggle lock-on without any effect on speed, a la ZOE or MGR.

I don't ever played ZOE, but in MGR it's possible because the camera mostly stays in Raiden's shoulders (which can be considered a "flaw" too, but it's a intentional design just like the lock-on from DMC) and it's possible to input commands without needing a more "hard" lock-on. Very different gameplay, very different purposes and playstyles from both games even if they are in the same genre, still it sustained command moves for the sake of variety.

So? It's like that with DmC.

The difference being lock-on allows you to lock in every enemy you want from a distance. I was just answering your mistake to say that it's impossible to shoot without locking.

You don't seem to be reading properly.

I don't want a "work-around". I want a "fix" for the problem, something they seem to be doing in DmC.

It's a downright flaw when placed next to games where the lock-on is toggle and there are no loss in movement speed.
When I have an enemy in my sights in Metal Gear Rising, I can maintain my speed, dodging attacks while keeping that particular enemy on the camera without the need to hold down a button.

It's just a dumb leftover from being a "survival horror" reject and you're just defending it for nostalgia.

Your "defending" of this mechanics are purely "work-arounds", instead of fixing the problem and you're just protecting it for your nostalgia.

The same way i can assume you're defending DmC's scheme because you're a casual that can't play anything properly and feels good playing a casual game. This is not really an issue, it's a necessary design choice when you look to the overall combat system, it wouldn't work the way you're proposing as i've already said in earlier posts. Unless they changed the overall combat system to work with a more "free" lock-on, which is just a dumb choice because you can create that balance working with the enemy design instead of changing all the core gameplay.

We still have Stinger and High Time in the game. What more moves do you want?
More flashy but dysfunctional crap?

Killer Bee, Real Impact, Just-release, gunslinger moves like Wild Stomp, Gunstinger and so on. By the way, it's not about "the moves that i want" but whatever movement that allows me to adress every situation in unique and deep manners, not a system that makes me have to rely too much in the same things and don't offer me a different perspective to work in the game. This is what people calls variety and this is a very good thing to have in a hack'n'slash as you can create your playstyle around things that you like or simple take your time and master everything to use properly in combat whenever you think it's necessary: that's what DMC3 and DMC4 offers to us.

The need to "lock-on" only existed because developers at the time are still new to movement in a 3D environment back in the 90's.

Developers have made so much progress, with utilization of mouse + keyboard and dual analog sticks.

A lot of 3D games I played today either didn't have lock-on or didn't need them to be essential, showing that they aren't 100% necessary.

But as I keep saying, a lock-on to keep the enemy in your sights would still be a good thing, just not the way the first 4 DMC games did.

If a future DMC game gets made, they should carry over the mechanics of DmC, with a toggle-style lock-on.

A lot of 3D games doesn't really need a lock-on. Why do you would have a lock-on on a TPS, adventure game or plataformer? Just if they really have some mechanic that needs a lock-on. This comparison is just dumb.

You think it's not good, you don't showed how it's really flawed or doesn't work within the game design itself. Just complained about a thing that is possible in MGR who have a very different combat system.

Nope.avi. If they would made a casualized DMC game it wouldn't be that different from DmC for most of the fans that they would be trying to please with another classic DMC game.

Goldsickle

Eh, I personally don't mind there being less moves, but I think that it is pretty important to those who play DMC on an advanced level, because even if one move is basically just a variation of another move, there is still a more or less big visual difference, allowing you to have a bigger variation in combos.
Having three types of Stingers is pushing it (Stinger, Straight and Gunstinger).
I know you can charge Straight and cancel Gunstinger into three Point Blank but they could easily cram all these applications into a single move (a Stinger you can charge that cancels into Million Stabs, canceling into three Charged Shots is redundant).

Like I said, it looks more like they're just trying to fill up slots at this point.

And we are talking about variety, which can be measured by the list of moves.
A variety of redundant moves.

Opinion. This has no value for the discussion of the mechanics itself.
Like the opinions you have been spouting?

There's essentialy a lot of differences between this two moves even if they look similar: Rising Dragon do not have too much i-frame and don't have a direct follow-up too, not to talk about the damage and startup frames of the standard moves (non-charged). Real Impact have a lot of i-frames that make you safe after you connected the first hit and ends when you're nearly in middle-air. So, yes, they add variety and sum up to very different options to deal with bosses or stronger enemies.
These differences are too little to warrant two different moves.
Compacting them both into one was a better idea.

In DMC3 the charged shots can stop one Abyss to throw their scythe after their "teleport" move, it have another properties, higher damage and stun values and can be useful to sustain the airborne position of an enemy while charging things like Drive
So it's just "same thing but more powerful".
Sorry but I like DmC's idea of "powered shot with a new property" better.

The Rico-Shot allows me to stun multiple enemies, staggering one, while juggling another, giving me more openings to charge stuff or follow up with another move.

No one said that. But it's a fact that "more moves = more variety and options".
Not "fact" when some of these moves are redundant copies or just plain useless.

I don't ever played ZOE, but in MGR it's possible because the camera mostly stays in Raiden's shoulders
It's not set like Gears Of War, where the camera is always behind him. You can see Raiden running in all directions.
Also, such camera is automatic in DMC4, for bosses. Even without locking on, the camera always focuses on the bosses (with the exception of Agnus and Echidna, where the camera frees up so you can focus on the minions they spawn into the field).

(which can be considered a "flaw" too, but it's a intentional design just like the lock-on from DMC)
The dumb lock-on mechanic from the first 4 DMC games are an ancient relic waiting to be discarded, not to be compared with the current over-shoulder camera, which is very functional for 3rd person games.

and it's possible to input commands without needing a more "hard" lock-on.
Which is something DMC needs to get rid off.
I'm glad they did so in DmC. Hopefully, it gets carried over in future incarnations of the series.

The difference being lock-on allows you to lock in every enemy you want from a distance. I was just answering your mistake to say that it's impossible to shoot without locking.
Yes, you can do that on DmC, via L3.

Not much difference, essentially.
Whenever you press R1 in the past DMC, you're not guaranteed to get the right enemy either and may need to toggle around.

The same way i can assume you're defending DmC's scheme because you're a casual that can't play anything properly and feels good playing a casual game.
You're already showing the "signs" of a bad arguer.

At some point, people who can't argue with me will pull the "you don't like it because you suck at it" reasoning or something similar.
In this case, you're calling me a "casual", with the implications that I'm a "less skilled" player.

Listen up, kid.

I grew up on the Resident Evil series since 1996.
The difference between you and me is that I am not deluded by nostalgia and can recognize when something is outdated or dysfunctional.

There's nothing functional about being forced to hold down a button just to focus on an enemy, while being forced to slow down when doing so.
If it's "important" because the moves "require" lock-on, then common sense dictates that the moves are revamped to make it not "lock-on dependent", allowing more freedom for the character.

Maybe you are the casual, because you can't do anything unless there's some specialized mechanic that ensures you are always facing the enemy?

This is not really an issue, it's a necessary design choice when you look to the overall combat system, it wouldn't work the way you're proposing as i've already said in earlier posts. Unless they changed the overall combat system to work with a more "free" lock-on, which is just a dumb choice because you can create that balance working with the enemy design instead of changing all the core gameplay.
I have played a bunch of other hack and slash games and they work.

And they pretty much revamped the controls from the ground up.

Killer Bee,
Vergil has it.

Real Impact,
Crammed into Uppercut, which is a good choice, rather than making it a different move.

Just-release,
Possible if "Demon Dodge" was converted into "Demon Guard" instead.
There's still a lot of room for cramming there.

gunslinger moves like Wild Stomp, Gunstinger and so on.
You mean "RedundantSlinger".
Why do you need a "special" move to shoot a downed opponent, when you can just... shoot a down opponent?
And how much is Gunstinger different than a regular Stinger (especially in DMC4)?
I thought I could use that on a Blitz without taking damage, just to find out that it's a contact attack.

By the way, it's not about "the moves that i want" but whatever movement that allows me to adress every situation in unique and deep manners, not a system that makes me have to rely too much in the same things and don't offer me a different perspective to work in the game. This is what people calls variety and this is a very good thing to have in a hack'n'slash as you can create your playstyle around things that you like or simple take your time and master everything to use properly in combat whenever you think it's necessary: that's what DMC3 and DMC4 offers to us.
More moves is objectively better but if they're going to be redundant, similar and can only be inserted in a very special application that can only be utilized by the most hardened experts, what's the point?

DmC may not have screaming dual blades of separate elements or a guitar that shoots electric bats but I am liking how despite the mundane appearance of the weapons, they're very functional.

A lot of 3D games doesn't really need a lock-on. Why do you would have a lock-on on a TPS, adventure game or plataformer? Just if they really have some mechanic that needs a lock-on.
Why not?

You'll be surprised how there are lock-on in some adventure game or TPS.

You should have looked around first before making that post.

You think it's not good, you don't showed how it's really flawed or doesn't work within the game design itself.
The need to hold down the button instead of toggle.
Loss of movement speed when locked-on.

Do I need to repeat myself?

Top Bottom