• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

What I Hated About DMC4's Royal Block

Goldsickle

It nullifies damage but doesn't actually parry the enemy, as in pushing them back, creating an opening or just interrupting their attacks.

It was much more useful in DMC3, where you could parry several enemies and make them stagger backwards, allowing you to attack them while they are vulnerable.
Even Beowulf's charge attack can be stopped by a Royal Block.

I use Royal Guard a lot for chapters where I fight Arachnes because I always create an opening by parrying their scythe attacks and knocking them back with a Stinger.

Noticing the lack of stagger animations for the enemies made me realize why I didn't use Royal Guard in DMC4 as much as I did in DMC3.

Sparda™

I rarely use Royal Guard in DMC4.

The availability of switching through other styles, gives me the opportunity to slash through enemies with Sword Master and Gunslinger and Dark Slayer too.

fox

i was never able to use the royal guard in style in DMC3 or DMC4,i just dont feel like blocking attacks when i can just slice the enemies apart with the other styles.
if i keep attacking they wont have time to do the same.

Big Boss

Unstable
I also rarely use Royal Guard. I mainly stay with Swordmaster, then switch to either Gunslinger or Dark Slayer in the middle of a combo.

Goldsickle

If only Dante's Royal Block could actually stop enemies in their tracks like what he did to Beowulf, then Dante would have his own "counter attack" while Nero has his Buster Counter.

Gtsilva

Devil-Spawn
I hardly ever use Royal Guard, I ugrade it for the fun of it but I've actually never used it in DMC4 and when i did in DMC3 it was for like one mission only. I should try using it though...

Keaton

Premium
I enjoyed it in DMC3 alot more, but I still love using it in DMC4.
I enjoy using it in parry with Lucifer's Pin-Up, since it requires you to get very upclose and personal and if you break your pattern of spamming swords you're open to a counter-attack, which thankfully RG handles pretty well. Pandora would the the other staple of that combo ^^

But, as others have mentioned, being able to swap styles now is such a massive factor that on many occassions where you would've blocked you can swap instantly to Trickster and dodge, or Darkslayer etc and Counter Attack instead.

Goldsickle

As mentioned, if only Dante's Royal Block could do more than just nullify damage, then Dante could have had a move that rivals Nero's Buster Counter.

Let's say for example, Echidna does her ramming attack and if Dante Royal Blocks that, she is stopped in her tracks and is stunned for a few seconds, allowing Dante to get a few hits in before she can recover.

Dante94513

I like the use of RB in DMC4 better. In DMC3 it was cool to block enemy's attacks and send them back; however, it makes it too easy, and the enemies weak IMO. If DMC4 did the same thing. 3 things

1. It would take much longer to fell up the RG gauge.
2. We wouldn't know royal guard's full potential.
3. It will make the battles way too easy.

There are certain enemies in DMC4 that can be blown by RB like the biancos. But I wouldn't like the way RG should operate like Goldsickle put out.

Goldsickle

Dante94513;178499 said:
I like the use of RB in DMC4 better. In DMC3 it was cool to block enemy's attacks and send them back; however, it makes it too easy, and the enemies weak IMO. If DMC4 did the same thing. 3 things

1. It would take much longer to fell up the RG gauge.
2. We wouldn't know royal guard's full potential.
3. It will make the battles way too easy.

There are certain enemies in DMC4 that can be blown by RB like the biancos. But I wouldn't like the way RG should operate like Goldsickle put out.

Actually, if it's too easy for you, then it's just because you're a good player.

Seriously.

From my experience, any parrying or counter attack maneuver where you need to time yourself with the enemy's attack frames are always unpopular with many players and are usually overlooked.
They are always considered a "technique for experts only".

SkyGemini

S'All over but the Crying
It seems to work really well for people who can use it...but for me, except for the secret mission, I've only been able to use it successfully a handful :p of times. Even though it can blow 'em up real good, I find it pretty much impossible when you've got evil little critters coming at you from all directions...especially those chimera assaults.

In fact, I find it very difficult to use almost any of the charged actions in those conditions...

And is there any real difference between the plain old "Guard" and the "Royal Guard"?

Goldsickle

SkyGemini;181501 said:
And is there any real difference between the plain old "Guard" and the "Royal Guard"?

Block is merely guarding when the enemy attacks. You'll guard from the enemy's attack but will get some small 'guard damage'.
There are some attacks you can't guard from.

Royal Block is where you press the Style button the same time the enemy hits you, nullifying damage completely.
This maneuver can be used to nullify any attack in the game, even The Savior's laser beam.

Crimson Devil

Swordsmaster
Goldsickle;181531 said:
Royal Block is where you press the Style button the same time the enemy hits you, nullifying damage completely.
This maneuver can be used to nullify <i>any</i> attack in the game, even The Savior's laser beam.

Royal Blocking all of Agnus spin attack was awesome...

But I agree with you, RBs should knock enemies back just like it did in DMC3, it was way cooler. Thats why I Royal Release most of the time now, even with empty bar.
RR ftw!

SkyGemini

S'All over but the Crying
Goldsickle;181531 said:
This maneuver can be used to nullify <i>any</i> attack in the game, even The Savior's laser beam.

I'll probably end up an omelette, but I'll give it a try...

Black Angel

Semper Fidelis
Dante can become a completely invincible badass looking thing in DMC4

Combine it with DT and Dante looks awesome and kicks serious ass.

I love the new RG.

Top Bottom