• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

What happened to the RTS genre?

Dark Drakan

Admin
Been 2 years since I posted this thread and it seems that the RTS genre is making a sort of comeback. Thought I should revive this thread as it contains some names and info on the classics. With recent news of Cossacks, Dawn of War III & Sudden Strike coming, Bill Gates saying theres possibility of AoEIV, Halo Wars 2 coming to console and PC and rumoured Starcraft HD coming it might mean the genre could be returning to a force at some point if the games do well.

There are many more RTS titles in development and some more rumours about others so be interesting to see where this goes and if mouse and keyboard support will come at any point soon for console releases outside of purchasing the Xim 4.

Aurelius

Do Romance of the Three Kingdoms and Nobunaga's Ambition count as RTS? I'm not very familiar with the RTS genre.

lorddemolatron

I think im sort of dimensional traveller lol
Premium
Thats so sad that this genre somehow now looks dead as well, back in mine 2000s-2010s sometimes i used to play some RTS games like legendary maybe now titles like Dune2000, Emperor Battle For Dune, some C&C games on mine old PC and now mostly games i seen what are alive or growing more in good GFX are RPGs,ARPGs and those FPS games.

Dark Drakan

Admin
Do Romance of the Three Kingdoms and Nobunaga's Ambition count as RTS? I'm not very familiar with the RTS genre.

Romance of the Three Kingdoms & Nobunaga's Ambition are turn based strategy I believe rather than real time strategy same strategy genre but different part of that genre.

Thats so sad that this genre somehow now looks dead as well, back in mine 2000s-2010s sometimes i used to play some RTS games like legendary maybe now titles like Dune2000, Emperor Battle For Dune, some C&C games on mine old PC and now mostly games i seen what are alive or growing more in good GFX are RPGs,ARPGs and those FPS games.

It seems to be on the comeback and more and more are coming out and selling well again too so the genre could be re-emerging.

Dark Drakan

Admin
Seems a healthy amount of RTS & Turned Based strategy games etc have continued to release lately, really hope that this is a sign that the genre can continue to come back into the limelight & become a big market again.

Civilization VI
Total War: Warhammer
XCOM 2
Shadow Tactics
Planet Coaster
Offworld Trading Company
Banner Saga 2
Stellaris
Hearts of Iron IV
Battlefleet: Gothic Armada
Fire Emblem Fates
Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak
Darkest Dungeon
Reconquest
8-Bit Invaders

Dark Drakan

Admin
empires-of-the-undergowth.jpg

Saw this being mentioned on Twitter the other day and as a big SimAnt fan I hope it does well. Its being developed by independant studio Slug Disco Studios & inspired by classics such as SimAnt and Dungeon Keeper a new game hit early access on Dec 1st and is being rated quite highly at the moment. Known as Empires of the Undergrowth players will control an Ant Colony & be able to dig through the earth, build tunnels and chambers, hunt for food and raise large colonies to fight other Ants and keep predators away along the way.

Press Release

Ants are industrious, organised and hungry - as anyone who’s seen one of the multitude of documentaries following their exploits will tell you. They also show a huge variety of adaptations and bizarre traits - qualities that make them seemingly ideal for this form of strategy game.

Taking clear inspiration from classics such as SimAnt and Dungeon Keeper, players will be able to dig through the earth, build tunnels and chambers, hunt for food and raise large colonies. Above ground, players need to send their ants on long missions, far from the nest to secure and defend lucrative resources. The mechanics are more accessible than your typical RTS; control of your ants is achieved by placing pheromone markers, and gives the colony a more realistic, natural feeling.

Playable missions are narrated from the perspective of a documentary film maker studying the ants, who offers intelligent insight into the goings-on of the colony and the undergrowth beyond. The primary game mode in early access is Formicarium, where you take ownership of a laboratory colony of unique DNA-harvesting ants as they work to assimilate the desirable traits of their foes. You can upgrade them by playing one-off missions, sometimes with your home colony and sometimes with other ant species.

Empires of the Undergrowth will be available to buy and download on Steam on December 1st.

Empires of The Undergrowth on Steam

Top Bottom