• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

What happened to the RTS genre?

Dark Drakan

Admin
I was flicking through my old games the other day while doing a clean up of my laptop and the cupboard in my spare room and a thought crossed my mind... What happened to the old classic RTS games? Along with FPS games they were the main genre I played with such series as Settlers, Command & Conquer, Age of Empires, Age of Mythology, Warcraft III, Rome: Total War amongst many others. Yet since those series I cant remember playing a decent RTS game for years and find myself going back to those old classics time after time. I still play Settlers II, Age of Empires II and Red Alert II from time to time and reliving old memories (2 must be the magic number).

Has anyone played any good ones in last few years or seen any that might be released in future to get me out of this RTS rut I have found myself in for years? Last recent one I played and enjoyed was StarCraft II though my laptop isnt great and doesnt run many new ones that well but I shall be building a gaming PC next year after wedding.

xMobilemux

I'll just get right to the ass kicking.
Supporter 2014
The RTS games I played the most were Warcraft 3, Command & Conquer Generals/Tiberium Wars, a little of Age of Empires and even had quite a lot of hours put into Alien vs Predator Extinction back on the PS2.
The last recent RTS game I played was Halo Wars and that wasn't much.

I'm still waiting for a good new RTS worth checking out as well, but I'm not really into those "old times" RTS games as I prefer the Command & Conquer type with tanks, soldiers and base building.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
RTS is one of the many ailing genres nowadays. I too use to love playing Age of Empires, Rome:Total War, etc. I like games that make you think. Winning is just all the more satisfying.

The last great RTS I played was X-COM:Enemy Unknown. Dark Drakan, if you missed out on that one then I highly recommend it. It still also works great on a console with a controller.

ef9dante_oSsshea

Premium
Xen-Omni 2020
Age of empires and command and conquer rocked so did commandos and lotr battle for middle earth such a shame they haven't made any recently

Dark Drakan

Admin
Does anyone here remember a Japanese mythology games called Battle Realm which is developed by Ubisoft?

Cant say I have heard of that one.

Age of empires and command and conquer rocked so did commandos and lotr battle for middle earth such a shame they haven't made any recently

Both Age of Empires and Command & Conquer are my favourite RTS series of all time, I had Battle for Middle Earth II on my laptop and it was good. However laptop has degraded over the years and doesnt run a lot of things it used to so I had to stop playing it due to frame rate drops and lag. Just such a shame that the classic RTS genre seems to have been phased out and Westwood Studios and Ensemble have since been lost to the ages and nothing has managed to live up to their old franchises.

Martius

SSSmokin!
Does anyone here remember a Japanese mythology games called Battle Realm which is developed by Ubisoft?
Too bad that one did not have sequel and Ubisoft was publisher, it was developed by Liquid Entertainment. It had so much good features, great training system, option to make most units cavalry etc.

I remember other game called Sacrifice. In theory its RTS but playing from point of wizard which must summon monsters and collect souls instead of resources is very interesting.

The last great RTS I played was X-COM:Enemy Unknown. Dark Drakan, if you missed out on that one then I highly recommend it. It still also works great on a console with a controller.
Hm, but Enemy Unknown is not real time strategy. Its turn based.

I guess lack of RTS game have to do with publishers and consoles. Its hard to make good control for such game on pad. Only console RTS I know is Halo War. Shooters and similar games are selling a lot. If that will stay same big publisher wont even notice other genres.

Last edited:

Erian1Mortal

Premium
Too bad that one did not have sequel and Ubisoft was publisher, it was developed by Liquid Entertainment. It had so much good features, great training system, option to make most units cavalry etc.

I remember other game called Sacrifice. In theory its RTS but playing from point of wizard which must summon monsters and collect souls instead of resources is very interesting.

Two of the best RTS games I've played, only games similiar to Sacrifice I can think of are Brütal Legend and Guilty Gear 2 Overture on consoles, those were pretty cool too!

Martius

SSSmokin!
Hm, yeah while playing Brutal Legend I noticed some similarities to Sacrifice but I feel like strategy element in that game would need more time. In Sacrifice that was main part of the game, Brutal Legend was more focused on open world.

Erian1Mortal

Premium
Hm, yeah while playing Brutal Legend I noticed some similarities to Sacrifice but I feel like strategy element in that game would need more time. In Sacrifice that was main part of the game, Brutal Legend was more focused on open world.

True, the game felt rather rushed, especially in the story department, but it was a refreshing take on the genre for consoles I think^^

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
I liked the first Shogun game. That was probably the only RTS I ever put more than 1 hour into. I'm sorry, it's just not my thing. The only reason I even played Shogun to begin with was because of all the kickass ninja vids.

V

Oldschool DMC fan
Wondering that myself, I still fire up AoE, EE and Total War series from time to time, but heard the last XCOM was worth looking into and plan to get it.

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
The last RTS I played was probably LOTR: The Battle for Middle-Earth II.

I never really liked the RTS genre, to be honest. I liked playing BFME I and II because they involved LOTR. If I were to play RTS games against actual people, I'd be defeated in two minutes. Seriously, I'm just that sl0w, and I don't care for strategizing every second, trying to zoom to the enemy base or anything like that. It often comes down to who can click and move his mouse fastest. Besides, there's no payoff. If I do everything right, I win, and that's it. Wow, I won. Thanks. No character progression, nothing - well, maybe your 'heroes' gain a level... whooptie-doo. I guess I'm looking for more RPG elements.

Aside from that, RTS games have had their best days - I get the sense that it went downhill after Warcraft III. The game itself wasn't as interesting to me as the old Warcrafts either. Less beautiful soundtrack, blander acting, etc etc. The same goes for a lot of other RTS games. Starcraft II is said to be pretty good, though.

Last edited:

Erian1Mortal

Premium
The last RTS I played was probably LOTR: The Battle for Middle-Earth II.

No character progression, nothing - well, maybe your 'heroes' gain a level... whooptie-doo. I guess I'm looking for more RPG elements.

Loved Battle for Middle Earth 2, good times!
If you're looking for something with a little bit more RPG in it I would recommend Spellforce 2. Even though that's much more of an RPG/RTS Hybrid. It had a nice story mode too.

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
Loved Battle for Middle Earth 2, good times!
If you're looking for something with a little bit more RPG in it I would recommend Spellforce 2. Even though that's much more of an RPG/RTS Hybrid. It had a nice story mode too.
Interesting. I'll check it out - thanks! :)

Dark Drakan

Admin
Steve and I used to play AoE, Age of Mythology and Command & Conquer online and over LAN (along with plenty of other non-RTS games) and I used to play Command & Conquer Retaliation on Playstation on system link too with my 2 PS1's hooked up to 2 TV's back to back. Still remember trying to play Red Alert 2 on dial up Internet all those years ago but since then few RTS games have felt even close to them.

IncarnatedDemon

In my opinion i believe RTS has been affected by FPS genre. BF and cod are like "We're cool and we shot people!", and kids draw to that. Even if you may not like FPS genre much, your friends may and you join them.
And some people are selfish "i dont want to play those games".
So i think FPS genre has made a difference in RTS genre meaning less.

Speaking of RTS, perhaps you guys will enjoy Settlers on IPhone (based on settlers 4):

Dark Drakan

Admin
In my opinion i believe RTS has been affected by FPS genre. BF and cod are like "We're cool and we shot people!", and kids draw to that. Even if you may not like FPS genre much, your friends may and you join them.
And some people are selfish "i dont want to play those games".
So i think FPS genre has made a difference in RTS genre meaning less.

Speaking of RTS, perhaps you guys will enjoy Settlers on IPhone (based on settlers 4):

Battlefield and CoD were around when RTS games and FPS games ruled the markets so I personally dont think the new rise of FPS games popularity has affected them that much as they co-existed fine back then. I think the FPS genre has had an affect of some genres and the style of games some RPG's etc have started to go down the more action orientated route thanks to CoD but personally dont think they would have effected RTS genre much.

They were both the main genres I played on PC (back in my PC Gamer days) and even though Battlefield and CoD are much more mainstream these days they were still HUGE games on PC back then. There are more gamers that play FPS games these days and there are more FPS games than ever on the market but seemingly just no big RTS games being released as there arent many developers left who made them. The RTS market was never really aimed at the younger generation (though I did play Settlers when very young on my Amiga) and Command & Conquer was first game I played online properly. The market would still be there if someone would release a new decent one as old series like Command & Conquer went downhill when Westwood were closed.

All you guys are mentioning many new RTS games but forgot to include Clash of Clan into this thread?

I have only really played Kingdom Rush on my iPhone, not exactly a classic style RTS but it shares some similarities. Not tried any of these others on iPhone/iPad.

Top Bottom