• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

What Halo 4 can learn from the Devil May Cry reboot

mrrandomlulz

Monsuuuta moonssuta mo mo mo mo monsuuta
Translation: What a hack and slash can learn from a first person shooter = Trolling XD

CoolDemon

X will never be Y
I am guessing that the writer of the article is saying that Halo can learn from DMC reboot - by taking chances and ignoring fans expectations?

mrrandomlulz

if you guys ask me the stupidest part of the article is that NEITHER of these games are out yet
he is obviously making fun of the "what skyrim can learn from skyward sword" article

Dark Drakan

Admin
Hes basically saying that Halo 4 is essentially going through the same thing as DmC (different developer stepping in to develop a game for an already established franchise). Ninja Theory are taking huge risks with DmC by changing a lot of things from the other DMC games but could also gain new fans from it and if the game is still any good old fans will like it anyway regardless of its ties or lack of to the original games. Halo fans will be as defensive about someone changing things about Master Chief as DMC fans were about people changing things with the Dante they have come to know. So why dont 343 Studios take some risks with Halo 4 like Ninja Theory have with the DmC reboot instead of making yet another sequel that feels like one of the older games.

CoolDemon

X will never be Y
Hes basically saying that Halo 4 is essentially going through the same thing as DmC (different developer stepping in to develop a game for an already established franchise). Ninja Theory are taking huge risks with DmC by changing a lot of things from the other DMC games but could also gain new fans from it and if the game is still any good old fans will like it anyway regardless of its ties or lack of to the original games. Halo fans will be as defensive about someone changing things about Master Chief as DMC fans were about people changing things with the Dante they have come to know. So why dont 343 Studios take some risks with Halo 4 like Ninja Theory have with the DmC reboot.
But DmC have not been a success or failure yet. So doesn't that make the article biased?

Dark Drakan

Admin
But DmC have not been a success or failure yet. So doesn't that make the article biased?

Hes a long time fan of DMC and also he doesnt mention anything about success or failure just that maybe 343 studios shouldnt simply play it safe and churn out another Halo with a number attached to it. Try something different, excite and split the fans and take some risks and maybe you will open the Halo games up to a whole new fanbase rather than aiming to simply please the fans you already have by making another updated title in the franchise.

mrrandomlulz

Hes basically saying that Halo 4 is essentially going through the same thing as DmC (different developer stepping in to develop a game for an already established franchise). Ninja Theory are taking huge risks with DmC by changing a lot of things from the other DMC games but could also gain new fans from it and if the game is still any good old fans will like it anyway regardless of its ties or lack of to the original games. So why dont 343 Studios take some risks with Halo 4 like Ninja Theory have with the DmC reboot.
actually they took a risk at just making halo 4. Everyone who saw the games trailer basically saw
images

Halo had marketed itself as finished , on the 3rd one and not only had they announced halo 4 , they announced halo 5 6 and 7
on top of that this is not the first time microsoft has trolled people like this from what I had heard

CoolDemon

X will never be Y
Hes a long time fan of DMC and also he doesnt mention anything about success or failure just that maybe 343 studios shouldnt simply play it safe and churn out another Halo with a number attached to it. Try something different, excite and split the fans and take some risks and maybe you will open the Halo games up to a whole new fanbase rather than aiming to simply please the fans you already have by making another updated title in the franchise.

I know he doesn't mention success. But he says that Halo 4 should learn from DmC reboot.
That implies that DmC reboot is positive (?) because it has done something good?

Dark Drakan

Admin
Halo had marketed itself as finished , on the 3rd one

Bungie said they wouldnt have any involvement with the next Halo after Halo 3 but didnt say it would be the last and if you played on legendary it had a cliffhanger ending. So everyone knew that Halo 3 wouldnt be the last one, just that Bungie wanted to develop something else and go multi-format. Microsoft own the rights to Halo so they can pass it to another developer which they did, their own in-house studio.

I know he doesn't mention success. But he says that Halo 4 should learn from DmC reboot.
That implies that DmC reboot is positive (?) because it has done something good?

In a way it has, got people split and created thousands of discussions about the game and even though a lot has been negative its all free marketing. If the game gets good reviews and sells well then job well done but even those who hate the change read the news about it when its released. Controversy gets people talking, sites writing articles, forum threads created and Ninja Theory have never been so well known. If some people dont get this game for the reasons that its changed too much then they will purchase the next game instead if it returns to its roots. Wouldnt have harmed the franchise as its more well known afterwards and it will recoup the sales easily with the old fans and the new fans it gains.

mrrandomlulz

Bungie said they wouldnt have any involvement with the next Halo after Halo 3 but didnt say it would be the last and if you played on legendary it had a cliffhanger ending. So everyone knew that Halo 3 wouldnt be the last one, just that Bungie wanted to develop something else and go multi-format. Microsoft own the rights to Halo so they can pass it to another developer which they did, their own in-house studio.
Yes but even Microsoft marketed the series as finished when the official motto for Halo 3 was "Finish The Fight"
thats why after 3 other halo game was a prequel(wars)/tie in(reach , even though it was a direct prequel to combat evolved/canonical spin off (ODST)

CoolDemon

X will never be Y
In a way it has, got people split and created thousands of discussions about the game and even though a lot has been negative its all free marketing. If the game gets good reviews and sells well then job well done but even those who hate the change read the news about it when its released. Controversy gets people talking, sites writing articles, forum threads created and Ninja Theory have never been so well known. If some people dont get this game for the reasons that its changed too much then they will purchase the next game instead if it returns to its roots. Wouldnt have harmed the franchise as its more well known afterwards and it will recoup the sales easily with the old fans and the new fans it gains.
Well i don't see how DmC is an example of something good.

So how can Halo 4 learn from DmC?

DmC hasn't even been released or been bought by anyone.

Ninja theory hasn't become known as respectful developers. Thanks to Tameem Ninja theory have become a company to hate for many gamers.

DmC controversy has gotten CRAZY amount of attention. But again - what does Halo 4 have to learn from DmC? Change your game drastically and appeal to a new fanbase, and show fingers to original game serie, and you will get great marketing?

Dark Drakan

Admin
Yes but even Microsoft marketed the series as finished when the official motto for Halo 3 was "Finish The Fight"
thats why after 3 other halo game was a prequel(wars)/tie in(reach , even though it was a direct prequel to combat evolved/canonical spin off (ODST)

Finish the fight indeed but not the war. Again Bungie didnt want to make a sequel so they worked on a prequel but doesnt mean there wasnt going to be one.

Well i don't see how DmC is an example of something good.

So how can Halo 4 learn from DmC?

DmC hasn't even been released or been bought by anyone.

Ninja theory hasn't become known as respectful developers. Thanks to Tameem Ninja theory have become a company to hate for many gamers.

DmC controversy has gotten CRAZY amount of attention. But again - what does Halo 4 have to learn from DmC? Change your game drastically and appeal to a new fanbase, and show fingers to original game serie, and you will get great marketing?

Did you read the article at all?

Doesnt matter if its been released, been successful or what. If it matters about if its released or not they why are all the fans getting their underwear twisted about things already that might not even make the final build. They have just shown some balls to step out of the shadow of DMC and try something new and take things in a new direction. Cant please everyone all of the time but is recycling old games ideas and sticking to the same path someone has already trodden going to be remembered for anything more than copying already successful ideas?

The main point being

Studio boss Frank O'Connor has said he's ready to break from Halo lore if the project demands it. Now's the time to show it.

Triple-A franchises are notorious for diminishing returns, so to have a developer stand up and tell sceptical previewers, angry disciples, shareholders and the world at large that it's breaking new ground, damn the torpedoes and so forth, is heartening. Ninja Theory's refusal to play ball also, bizarrely, makes the old Devil May Cry feel more distinctive and flavourful than ever; Antoniades' obstinacy has as much to do with the challenge of replicating that unique style as it does following his own nose.

Might be a huge shot in the foot but at least it shows the developers have a mind of their own and arent willing to simply take a quick payday and piggyback on others already successful ideas.

CoolDemon

X will never be Y
Finish the fight indeed but not the war. Again Bungie didnt want to make a sequel so they worked on a prequel but doesnt mean there wasnt going to be one.

Did you read the article at all?

Doesnt matter if its been released, been successful or what. If it matters about if its released or not they why are all the fans getting their underwear twisted about things already that might not even make the final build. They have just shown some balls to step out of the shadow of DMC and try something new and take things in a new direction. Cant please everyone all of the time but is recycling old games and sticking to the same path someone has already trodden going to be remembered for anything more than copying already successful ideas?

The main point being

Studio boss Frank O'Connor has said he's ready to break from Halo lore if the project demands it. Now's the time to show it.

Triple-A franchises are notorious for diminishing returns, so to have a developer stand up and tell sceptical previewers, angry disciples, shareholders and the world at large that it's breaking new ground, damn the torpedoes and so forth, is heartening. Ninja Theory's refusal to play ball also, bizarrely, makes the old Devil May Cry feel more distinctive and flavourful than ever; Antoniades' obstinacy has as much to do with the challenge of replicating that unique style as it does following his own nose.
I read the article. But if changing a game into a direction current fans don't want is good, then i wonder what's bad.

DmC is just a new game aiming at new fans. It's not a game that Ninja theory is making to make a revolution for DMC serie, it's a game they are making in their own way - they don't care what fans want.

Dark Drakan

Admin
I read the article. But if changing a game into a direction current fans don't want is good, then i wonder what's bad.

DmC is just a new game aiming at new fans. It's not a game that Ninja theory is making to make a revolution for DMC serie, it's a game they are making in their own way - they don't care what fans want.

I doubt they will make the game up until the day of release without paying attention to fans. Maybe the ideas they had off the bat displeased fans to say the least but they already edited some things out of the game. No developer could release a game without listening to some concerns or at least reassuring fans before its release as who do they expect to buy it? They are aware of the s***storm they caused by changing so much and they are going to have to start doing more interviews revealing things about the game the closer it gets to release. Then they are going to have to face fan questions and I bet by that time they do start listening to concerns and will have already changed things in the newer builds to closer resemble the older games.

Im no pro DmC supporter and im not trying to defend their actual design decisions but dont mind a studio taking risks. I dont even play the old games and dont plan to purchase the new game but I do listen to both sides on a frequent basis here and im an impartial observer. I understand the concerns of long time fans and I understand why some people are excited to see the finished product, its rather intriguing for the neutral.

CoolDemon

X will never be Y
Again, i don't see what Halo 4 has to learn from DmC reboot.

NT had their own plan to shape the game. And as more people showed dislike they started changing what they made in first place. On top of that Tameem said DMC Dante is not cool, which is totally unecessary considering NT's Dante has nothing to do with DMC Dante.

But it seems like a biased thread like IGN's "Look at Ninja theory. Because they are ****ing fans off, they got balls".

ToCool74

"Fair" DmC Skeptic
Premium
From what I know about Halo 4 it isn't a reboot and will continue the Halo storyline.

And alot of people from the Bungie team are a part of the new studio that his developing it.

It also has not be revealed that they are planning to make drastic changes like with DmC.

So I fail to see the overall point of that article.

Unless like someone said earlier, they are trolling lol.

Dark Drakan

Admin
It also has not be revealed that they are planning to make drastic changes like with DmC.

It was the quote by the studio boss that I quoted above that was the reason he wrote the article being that he isnt afraid to break from Halo lore like Ninja Theory and breaking from DMC lore. I believe that is the only reason for the comparison.

Top Bottom