• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

What are you watching right now?

Goldsickle

Sword Art Online is actually interesting.
I recall any time I look for feedback on this series, I get very vocal criticism against the series about how it's stupid and so on.

It was interesting to just watch how things play out.

The problem I have with the series are the "small world" coincidences that wound up as plot twists.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups!
I saw Red Notice. Pretty good heist film. Everyone is awesome and does their thing. Gal Gaddot is great and it's different seeing her take on a villain role. The movie has some pretty good twists I won't spoil. As far Ryan Reynolds post Deadpool 1 & 2 one offs, Red Notice is better than 6 Underground, Free Guy, and both Htiman's Bodyguard movies. The film makes a better Uncharted movie than the official version that comes out next year. Castle in the Sky is still the best Uncharted movie ever made.

The Villainess. It's basically Nikita with its own South Korean spin on it. This movie has been adapted 3 times total for movies now, and twice for TV. How many times are people gonna adapt this story? The actions scenes are good, but the overall story and characters are just average and there. The movie drags and definitely did not need to be 124 minutes. And people say Atomic Blonde went on for too long. I will give credit for the beginning for having that Hardcore Henry feel, but the movie does kinda deflate towards the end. It's a 6/10 movie for me.

Batman: Gotham Knight - The Batman version of The Animatrix. It takes place in the Nolanverse, after Begins, but before The Dark Knight. There are 6 shorts and there all good. My personal favorites are "In Darkness Dwells" , "Work Through The Pain", and "Deadshot". With "Deadshot" being the best. There are some weird continuity errors when lining it up with the live-action movies, due to different art styles and voice actors. Kevin Conroy does voice of both Bruce and Batman in all of the shorts, so that makes beyond more than enough. Another weird continuity thing is Ramierz (an expy of Renee Montoya), one of the cops who dislikes/distrusts Batman in TDK, has admiration for him in the shorts she appears in. This comes off as out of character and does not line up right, because she is one of the corrupt cops on Maroni's payroll. There is actually a novelization of this movie that retcons Ramirez, and makes the character Montoya. Which makes me wonder, why didn't they just do that in the first place? So whenever you see the short, "Crossfire", just pretend its Montoya and not Ramirez and the character works so much better.

Oh well. Good anthology movie, and something nice to put in-between the Nolan Batmanverse if you plan on marathoning all of the movies. Or even better if you want to treat them as stand alone.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups!
I decided to watch Drive (1997) again out of boredom and wanting to watch it again. Expect me to ramble.

I mentioned how this movie was Rush Hour before Rush Hour became a thing. Ironic, as the director, Steven Wang, was inspired by Hong Kong Cinema (including some gun-fu and slow motion gun shots), Jackie Chan (Mark Dacascos was 17 at the time and met the man in Taiwan), and Japanese Cinema. To the point that a Japanese stun team helped out with the fight choreography and have their names and stunt company in the credits. This movie almost feels like a prototype Matrix in terms of East Asian style action sequences. It's kinda sad Drive didn't pave the way for more Eastern style action in Hollywood movies, but The Matrix and Blade did. At least Drive got more recognition as the years went on.

The only flaws with this film is some obvious blue screen effects that show up for a few microseconds near the end. It really shows that they were on a low budget, but makes me wonder why they even bothered for these minor shots, if they didn't need them. It's rarely comes up, so it's not a deal breaker. For those in the USA, when you get the Blu Ray version (from MVD), you automatically get the Director's Cut. As it was intended to be seen before the US butchered it with the theatrical cut. The US version is on the disc as a "bonus", but it's not worth viewing. You lose 20 minutes of run time of a 112 minute film, that has good character moments, and rushes the pacing causing it to feel uneven. The other bonus features on the Blu Ray are much better though.

Last edited:

Dark Prince

The Alpha & The Omega
I was wandering around the youtube and stumbled upon a Spider-Man meme like video and it caused question my life :unsure: and the video subject is between meme or bad jokes that make youtube age restrict the video but I think the creator played by rules, enjoy but now I hate myself to see my favorite trilogy got destroyed :cry: (admins or mods can remove the video if my post is against forum rules):

V's patron

be loyal to what matters

One of my favorite writers Ed Brubaker gave an interview.

This is a better interview if you're interested in the writing craft more than a more anecdotal take.

Last edited:

Lain

Earthbound Immortal
Premium
I just can't take my eyes off the circumstances of this show. T'was far more entertaining than the show itself.

Lain

Earthbound Immortal
Premium
*Sigh* Another tradition lost to the Sword of Damocles.

I shall now start calling them "Inauthentic Folk Dancers" if they continue to act like this.

Top Bottom