• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

What Are You Thinking?

Rebel Dynasty

Creator of Microcosms
Premium
I appreciate the input; really, I do. And yet, it still doesn't make it sting any less.

How bloody long does it take for this "thicker skin" stuff to kick in? You know, to the point where critique just rolls off of your back?

Whatever. I'll worry about it when I start revising.

*Insert self-deprecating comment about how a fragile ego probably doesn't make a particularly good writer* (Seriously though, it's nothing to worry about. I'll probably bounce back by tonight or tomorrow; this is just more or less my thought process right now).

Last edited:

Shadow

the horror was for love
Premium
I like very long haired women... cough cough Bayonetta cough cough...

Haha, I like long hair, too. It's just that, the longer my hair is, the more I shed. I'm like some weird, person-sized cat. LOL

I appreciate the input; really, I do. And yet, it still doesn't make it sting any less.

How bloody long does it take for this "thicker skin" stuff to kick in? You know, to the point where critique just rolls off of your back?

*Insert self-deprecating comment about how a fragile ego probably doesn't make a particularly good writer* (Seriously though, it's nothing to worry about. I'll probably bounce back by tonight or tomorrow; this is just more or less my thought process right now).

In my experience...it never really kicks in. You just sorta learn to hide that it gets to you or you kinda build up enough of an ego to sit there and decide that no one else's opinion matters. Whenever I get criticism, I try and laugh it off and take it into consideration, but it still cuts. =( *sends hugs*

Thinking:
Sonic, really? Is it so hard to get my coffee shake right? This is the second time. =( Though...at least it's yummy still. ^^

+ Read or write? Read or write? D:

Rebel Dynasty

Creator of Microcosms
Premium
In my experience...it never really kicks in. You just sorta learn to hide that it gets to you or you kinda build up enough of an ego to sit there and decide that no one else's opinion matters. Whenever I get criticism, I try and laugh it off and take it into consideration, but it still cuts. =( *sends hugs*

Thanks, Shadow. :) This helped a lot. *Hugs back*

Dante's Stalker

"Outrun this!"
Premium
Supporter 2014

+ Read or write? Read or write? D:
I agree with Shadow, I never quite understood how one is meant to grow thicker skin. Some reviews are easy to shrug off, and some can really hurt your confidence. For me, it's harder to accept crit of any kind when I'm still busy working on a first draft. Maybe once it's done and I've had some time away from it, I can look at it and reviews for it more objectively, but not whilst I'm still putting in the hours and research to get it onto paper.

Maybe take a break, have a cuppa, and go for a walk or do something fun and creative with your daughter, just something nice to distract you from whatever comment has upset you. Make yourself feel good again. And then just make a point of ignoring the comment when you get back to work. File it away under 'I'll look at you when I'm good and ready to look at you again'.

+I'm in the same boat! But I can't decide so I'm reading and writing =)

Rebel Dynasty

Creator of Microcosms
Premium
I agree with Shadow, I never quite understood how one is meant to grow thicker skin. Some reviews are easy to shrug off, and some can really hurt your confidence. For me, it's harder to accept crit of any kind when I'm still busy working on a first draft. Maybe once it's done and I've had some time away from it, I can look at it and reviews for it more objectively, but not whilst I'm still putting in the hours and research to get it onto paper.

Maybe take a break, have a cuppa, and go for a walk or do something fun and creative with your daughter, just something nice to distract you from whatever comment has upset you. Make yourself feel good again. And then just make a point of ignoring the comment when you get back to work. File it away under 'I'll look at you when I'm good and ready to look at you again'.

I think I'll follow your advice on this one--yours and Shadow's; take the critique with a pinch of salt, and distract myself in whatever way I can until the, "I suck" feeling passes. It's not like I'm going to do WoN ay favours if I try to continue while in this frame of mind, anyway--I'll just wind up frustrating myself, more.

Thank you. I can't tell you how much I appreciated this. :)

Shadow

the horror was for love
Premium
Thanks, Shadow. :) This helped a lot. *Hugs back*

No problem. ^^ Seriously, though, we writers gotta stick together. ^^ It's still a pain to have to deal with all the negative stuff, and it always hurts when we have to deal with it, but at least it helps us grow? *hopes you feel better soon*

I'm the same way. I take concrit better after the first draft (or when I don't like whatever I'm writing), and I'll usually be quicker to imput it. Unless it's typos. Friggen typos. :shifty:
XD I should do that. Flip flop a bit. It might help me work faster. *thinking of dying her hair, first*

Thinking:
There were so many creepy people out today. =( And someone randomly half-hugged half-leaned on me. I can't imagine the look on my face, but, given that being touched irl without my consent gives me panic attacks sometimes, I'm sure Gran thought I was about to keel over. Seriously, though, wtf? >_<

Last edited:

Dante's Stalker

"Outrun this!"
Premium
Supporter 2014
Wow.
This takes the cake for the most depressing trilogy I've probably ever written. I kinda feel like:
200_s.gif

I think I'm going to need a lot of coffee (and biscuits) to work on the last instalment.
I have no idea how the heck I'm going to redeem Julian. He really did go AWOL.

....meh.
Things have a way of working themselves out. Not gonna fret.

SICK WITH SHAME
MUST BE EXHAUSTING TO LOSE YOUR OWN GAME
SELFISHLY HATED
NO WONDER YOU'RE JADED
YOU CAN'T PLAY THE VICTIM THIS TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Funny how the lyrics just seem to fit, huh?

Well... creepy, I mean.

Viper

Premium
Getting friends requests on facebook from mom's side of the family. Like, hello relative I've seen maybe once or twice in life and for whom I had to ask mom who you are, enjoy my obsession with DMC, MGS and occasional article on healthy living. Yes, do feel free to recommend me other relatives I've never even met. I'm sure I'll really enjoy the awkwardness of not really knowing anything about you and them while the family expects me to do. :meh:

Shadow

the horror was for love
Premium
It took two bottles of dye before my hair would take the colour and it's not even the tint it's supposed to be. >_< Ugh. And now for a deep conditioning day. x_x

...honestly, this wasn't how I was supposed to spend my day. ._. -not sure how she's gonna get all her stuff done-

Shadow

the horror was for love
Premium
So the plot bunnies are telling me to write about vampires. :facepalm: You'd think, if I got a vampy plot bunny, it would be for OS, but noooooooo. Plot bunnies are just jerks like that.

+ Yes, Stilts, I'm totally going to push you into a tub full of 1/4 inch of water because I'm evil like that. :bored: The heck are you so paranoid for?

Edit: Oh, shoot, I've been forgetting to put my words into NaNo. D:

Last edited:
Top Bottom