• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Western epic, Game of the Year

Richtofen

Nein, not ze puppies!
Premium
Red Dead Redemption takes Game of the Year award. Here's the article.

LOS ANGELES, Calif. - Rockstar Games' Wild West epic "Red Dead Redemption" rounded up four trophies at Saturday's Video Game Awards in Los Angeles, including Game of the Year.

Other multiple honorees at Spike TV's eighth annual event were BioWare/Electronic Arts' "Mass Effect 2," which won best Xbox 360 game and two other prizes; and Sony's "God of War III," whose two prizes included best PlayStation 3 game.

Additional major winners included Nintendo's "Super Mario Galaxy 2," best Wii game; Activision Blizzard's "StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty," best PC game; and Sony's "God of War: Ghost of Sparta," best handheld game.

Spike's award show has become a high-profile showcase for forthcoming video games. This year's broadcast featured debut trailers for BioWare's "Mass Effect 3," Warner Bros.' "Batman: Arkham City," and Sony's "Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception."

The program was hosted by Neil Patrick Harris, who won the "best performance by a human male" VGA for providing the voice of Peter Parker and Spider-Man in Activision's "Spider-Man: Shattered Dimensions."

Besides taking home the big prize, "Red Dead Redemption" — from the studio behind the controversial "Grand Theft Auto" series — also won VGAs for best song, best original score and best downloadable content.

Angelo Credo

Kept you waiting, huh?
Esura;293047 said:
Lame as hell...Red Dead Redemption? Seriously....wtf.

My sentiments exactly.

Frankly I think Mass Effect 2 should have taken the damn show, at least it wasn't Reach or Black Ops.

Dark Drakan

Admin
Well deserved id say, it tried something new in a time period very few people were interested in and it wasnt a sequel as such. One of the games ive enjoyed the most in a long time.

Dark Drakan

Admin
Vergil'sB*tch;293092 said:
GTA on a horse :D .
Love it. :wub:

I liked it much more than any GTA game, there was just so much more you could do and the characters were great & story was involving.

Angelo Credo

Kept you waiting, huh?
Dark Drakan;293067 said:
Well deserved id say, it tried something new in a time period very few people were interested in and it wasnt a sequel as such. One of the games ive enjoyed the most in a long time.

I'll agree with you on the fact that it tried something new, it was definitely a brave effort that went very, very well for Rockstar, but me personally? I just found Mass Effect 2 to be the much better game, hence my displeasure at RDR getting official GOTY.

Esura

Your breasts are illegal!!
Dark Drakan;293067 said:
Honestly, FFXIII or Bayonetta should of won imo, and this is coming from a huge Rockstar fan (since GTA San Andreas). Not saying that Red Dead Redemption isnt a good game...its a damn good one, but...it really feels like a western GTA IV with horses.

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
I think Bayonetta should've won this year. They choose popular games, not good games IMO.

Esura

Your breasts are illegal!!
Storm Silves;293136 said:
I think Bayonetta should've won this year. They choose popular games, not good games IMO.

Yes...yes they did. Which is why I do not take mainstream seriously anymore. They all be trolling on my gaming fandom. Hard to be a JRPG, well Japanese games in general, fan nowadays. :lol:

Chaos Raiden

Avid Gamer & Reviewer
Happy to see that Red Dead Redemption won the Game of the Year award. :D However, I wished that Mass Effect 2 will get it though.

BlueDevil

Super Penguin Number 2
Premium
I didn't play much of Red Dead Redemption, but I say this is probably the right choice.

I too would have preferred Mass Effect 2, but in the long run, RDR did more innovatively and was more well received

Dark Drakan

Admin
Angelo Credo;293120 said:
I'll agree with you on the fact that it tried something new, it was definitely a brave effort that went very, very well for Rockstar, but me personally? I just found Mass Effect 2 to be the much better game, hence my displeasure at RDR getting official GOTY.

I really enjoyed Mass Effect 2 and would have been happy if that won too. However many expressed their displeasure at it heading more down the shooter route with the RPG elements watered down.

Chaos Raiden

Avid Gamer & Reviewer
Dark Drakan;293190 said:
I really enjoyed Mass Effect 2 and would have been happy if that won too. However many expressed their displeasure at it heading more down the shooter route with the RPG elements watered down.

I agree with that notion, but I think the changes are rather necessary and effective to make it a better game than the first one. The RPG elements in the first game is rather confusing and complicated to learn.

Dark Drakan

Admin
Chaos Master;293191 said:
I agree with that notion, but I think the changes are rather necessary and effective to make it a better game than the first one. The RPG elements in the first game is rather confusing and complicated to learn.

Another point people made is that they went against their own 'lore' to please the mindless shooter fans by adding ammo counts to the weapons after saying the weapons didnt need ammo because the tech was so advanced it merely overheated.

Chaos Raiden

Avid Gamer & Reviewer
Dark Drakan;293201 said:
Another point people made is that they went against their own 'lore' to please the mindless shooter fans by adding ammo counts to the weapons after saying the weapons didnt need ammo because the tech was so advanced it merely overheated.

Agreed. About that, I don't know if BioWare did the right thing, but I find that is is much better than waiting your weapons to cooldown after a period of time like in Mass Effect 1. Thermal clips are useful, and it is used to explain the 'ammo count' in Mass Effect 2. :D

Dark Drakan

Admin
Chaos Master;293208 said:
Agreed. About that, I don't know if BioWare did the right thing, but I find that is is much better than waiting your weapons to cooldown after a period of time like in Mass Effect 1. Thermal clips are useful, and it is used to explain the 'ammo count' in Mass Effect 2. :D

I didnt mind it personally but it was one of the gripes i heard a lot about.

DeviRyuuD

Devilicious Devi
Good thing it`s RDR, i three(four,five,six,million) would have preferred ME2, but oh well, next on the list was Fallout New Vegas, too bad ;__;
Don`t own any consoles, so can`t judge RDR, but from what i`ve heard i won`t argue, i bet it`s a good game and deserves the title.

Just happy that FF didin`t win ^^ fu fanboys, FF7 was great later it went downhill.

Top Bottom