• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Were the reviews really paid or people aren't buying it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GF9000000Returns

From what I've seen with the DmC reviews, 95% of the critics loved it, but people are saying that NT payed them to do the reviews and this and that, so yeah it got me questioning that. What happened? I thought reviews help the sales boost up. Did journalism die out after they gave DmC an 8 or 9 or something? Jeez....

I'll reply to some of yall answers tomorrow. Good night!

Dante47

I don't think Ninja Theory had the money to pay off the majority of critics, but Capcom could have.

Alittleacorn

Smile it confuses people
From what I've seen with the DmC reviews, 95% of the critics loved it, but people are saying that NT payed them to do the reviews and this and that, so yeah it got me questioning that. What happened? I thought reviews help the sales boost up. Did journalism die out after they gave DmC an 8 or 9 or something? Jeez....

I'll reply to some of yall answers tomorrow. Good night!
They never got paid, same as how the rumors of Vergil turning into a dinosaur weren't true. Just some ****-stirrers wanting to cause trouble. I even had some idiot say Capcom must've paid me on youtube once for saying something nice about the game. Actually I think saw that said to other people a couple of times.

It might've had something to do with that Operation Crazy, which apparently wasn't a myth [Apparently it was some thing put together like a hate campaign, or that some used as an excuse to hate.] I just find it strange how we'd keep getting people complaining about the exact same things as if it was staged, some of it at least. That or a few fans couldn't accept the game might actually not be entirely bad as they wanted it to be, all in the attempt of getting DMC5.

Judging a game by it's cover before actually playing it, that's real ignorance for ya. And they can defend their actions all they want, anyone behind that campaign is a foolish idiot. I go as far as to say I praise those that disliked the game who didn't sink to such childish levels [or rudeness amongst other fans or it's creators] to let their voice be heard. Those who didn't stick up for that campaign, those are real fans.

darkmanifest

Unleash the blood
A lot of games get good reviews and sell poorly, and a lot of games get crap reviews and sell brilliantly. DMC has always been a pretty niche series and cautious reception has hurt it before - DMC3 took a lot of fallout from 2 despite being, arguably, one of the best entries. It doesn't take a nutbar conspiracy to explain it, though I did think some of the reviews were oddly golden for a game neutral parties with no axe to grind put at a solid 7 or 8 (from what I saw). Maybe it was just backlash to all the heavy negativity, reviewers wanting to stand out from the pack who'd said everything there was bad to say already.

GF9000000Returns

They never got paid, same as how the rumors of Vergil turning into a dinosaur weren't true. Just some ****-stirrers wanting to cause trouble. I even had some idiot say Capcom must've paid me on youtube once for saying something nice about the game. Actually I think saw that said to other people a couple of times.
Not just you, it's any fan AND REUBEN who liked DmC as the was it is.

It might've had something to do with that Operation Crazy, which apparently wasn't a myth [Apparently it was some thing put together like a hate campaign, or that some used as an excuse to hate.] I just find it strange how we'd keep getting people complaining about the exact same things as if it was staged, some of it at least. That or a few fans couldn't accept the game might actually not be entirely bad as they wanted it to be, all in the attempt of getting DMC5.
Bastards! They probably had too much time on they hands. Just finding this out make me really wanna give up on this franchise for good just like a couple of members here did. And yeah, they're just looking for excuses as to why a DMC5 needs to be made or they should have made instead of DmC(not referring to anyone here cuz yall brought up good reasons).

Judging a game by it's cover before actually playing it, that's real ignorance for ya. And they can defend their actions all they want, anyone behind that campaign is a foolish idiot. I go as far as to say I praise those that disliked the game who didn't sink to such childish levels [or rudeness amongst other fans or it's creators] to let their voice be heard. Those who didn't stick up for that campaign, those are real fans.

Amen to that!

Dante47

I remember when Reuben gave his official "not bad" stamp of approval, and everyone immediately pounced on him claiming that he must have been payed off by Capcom to say that.

Alittleacorn

Smile it confuses people
I remember when Reuben gave his official "not bad" stamp of approval, and everyone immediately pounced on him claiming that he must have been payed off by Capcom to say that.
I need to ask, who is Reuben? A guy on youtube? o.o

Bastards! They probably had too much time on they hands. Just finding this out make me really wanna give up on this franchise for good just like a couple of members here did. And yeah, they're just looking for excuses as to why a DMC5 needs to be made or they should have made instead of DmC(not referring to anyone here cuz yall brought up good reasons).

Yeah, that's why I've been harsh before because I got targeted by some of these clowns on tumblr and youtube, and they aren't the reasoning kind. They will say anything to paint DmC in a bad light [sometimes even lying or twisting things around] and be rude to fans liking it. It's people like that, who are urinating on their own franchise and intentionally picking fights. I have no respect for them, because they have no respect for me or anyone who doesn't agree with them. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if a couple that got offended about the Brokeback Mountain joke was mostly caused from that too [with a few exceptions].

Fact is, anything Ninja Theory or Capcom post about DmC, they'll complain about to make some noise without any valid reasons other than 'we want DMC5', which is frustrating because those who don't favor DmC for earnest reasons are being labeled trolls for saying anything negative.

So if none of us see a DmC2 or a DMC5 for the matter, and franchise just crashes and burns into silence, you can blame those idiots.

788Masri

I'm just some guy who really like Devil May Cry
i really find it annoying when people think that capcom just goes around buying off reveiwers that doesnt happen, capcom has neither the time nor the recources to pay off every internet reveiwer out there. plus it would only take one whistle blower to bring the entire thing down. the reason the game didnt sell is because, while many liked the new direction of the games many didnt (at their loss) and they voted with their wallets. i just find it sad that the only time people have ever done this is with a game that didnt deserve such treatment.

Sunaka Marién

I really don't think they were bought, sice that would mean that Capcom payed almost every single reviewer around the world :/
If I remeber correctly, Jet Set Radio Future also got some pretty good reviews, but sold rather poor. So I guess it's not that odd.

It might've had something to do with that Operation Crazy, which apparently wasn't a myth [Apparently it was some thing put together like a hate campaign, or that some used as an excuse to hate.]
From the image you linked, it doesn't really seem like a hate campaign, just like someone had a bit too much money on their hands. And, well, to be honest, I don't even think that it is something that bad in it's essence, since they are only trying to show Capcom that there are still people who would buy a DMC5 and might be able to bring new guys into the fandom by giving them their HD Col. copies.

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
I really don't think they were bought, sice that would mean that Capcom payed almost every single reviewer around the world :/
If I remeber correctly, Jet Set Radio Future also got some pretty good reviews, but sold rather poor. So I guess it's not that odd. Besides, do Capcom have the time, money and effort to pay all reviewers?

From the image you linked, it doesn't really seem like a hate campaign, just like someone had a bit too much money on their hands. And, well, to be honest, I don't even think that it is something that bad in it's essence, since they are only trying to show Capcom that there are still people who would buy a DMC5 and might be able to bring new guys into the fandom by giving them their HD Col. copies.

Besides, that sort of action is no different from those creepy old wota who like AKB48 idol group in Japan. They buy thousands of CDs just to get a chance to win a ticket to shake the hand of their favourite girl. So this is no different to other extreme fans of other fandoms.

This kind of action is just being a fan gone crazy with too much time and money. So if DMC5 came out, this person would buy loads of copies of that too? It would give a false image of how many people are buying the game if it is just 1 person buying many games.

Alittleacorn

Smile it confuses people

I guess it's true, but even if it started with good intentions, it still got exploited :( turning something peaceful into something violent.

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
I need to ask, who is Reuben? A guy on youtube? o.o

Yeah, that's why I've been harsh before because I got targeted by some of these clowns on tumblr and youtube, and they aren't the reasoning kind. They will say anything to paint DmC in a bad light [sometimes even lying or twisting things around] and be rude to fans liking it. It's people like that, who are urinating on their own franchise and intentionally picking fights. I have no respect for them, because they have no respect for me or anyone who doesn't agree with them. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if a couple that got offended about the Brokeback Mountain joke was mostly caused from that too [with a few exceptions].

Fact is, anything Ninja Theory or Capcom post about DmC, they'll complain about to make some noise without any valid reasons other than 'we want DMC5', which is frustrating because those who don't favor DmC for earnest reasons are being labeled trolls for saying anything negative.

So if none of us see a DmC2 or a DMC5 for the matter, and franchise just crashes and burns into silence, you can blame those idiots.

1) Rueben Langdon, AKA Dante's DMC3, 4 and anime voice actor. He gave the game his "not bad" seal of approval and said his only gripe was that he wasn't in it. And people hated him and thought he was paid off for it.

2) Agreed, especially on the youtube point. There was a youtube user whom I used to respect because he was an open furry, much like me. His username was OreoTheWolf. But as soon as DmC comes out and I make a comment on a video of his, I get ****stormed by him and his fans. He told me my opinion that DmC was not a bad game was wrong. Not any "read between the lines" sh*t, he flat-out said "Your opinion is wrong, and while you're entitled to it, that means I'm also entitled to make fun of it so nobody believes you." Tons of people came to my aid during this, and it got so bad that OTW had to shut down the comments on that video. XD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom