• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Were the reviews really paid or people aren't buying it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LysseC

Philosopher and fangirl. Worst. Combination. Ever.
Why. I mean, just WHY?! How come people can be so mean and ignorant it just maks me ajlajdlalöjaflaaauuurgh D:<
People can be stupid. Like, REALLY stupid. But it always amazes me at which lengths their stupidity goes, at times.
And the internet, the miraculous place where you can say everything you want without really taking responsibility for it because you're shielded by your screen, just makes things worse.
But it's good to see that the world is not made only of such people, but of intelligent and kind ones who are willing to enter peaceful and constructive conversations. Luckily, on this forum, there are many people of this kind (as for the rest, the better options is just ignoring them...)

meg5493

Praise the Sun!
Most reviewers reviewed it as its own thing which would be fine but I never found a review that compared the combat to older DMC's and talked about the characterization and story elements instead most of what i saw was reviews talking about how good the combat and story was while never explaining why DmC is a reboot of the series so it should atleast be compared gameplay wise to past installments :I not very many reviewers did that

LysseC

Philosopher and fangirl. Worst. Combination. Ever.
Like me :troll:
*feels*
69f.gif

:p

mrrandomlulz

Monsuuuta moonssuta mo mo mo mo monsuuta
The proof is right in a little sight called Giantbomb

The lead reviewer on there wanted to give a game a low score back when he worked for Gamespot, but Gamespot would not let him because they were payed to give it a decent score.
At least that's what I've heard.

And although Gamespot is only one company, IGN works for FOX, that automatically makes everything they say bullshit.

So that's 2 companies

But this doesn't necessarily mean the game is bad. Because AngryJoe, an actual REVIEWER, gave it a 7/10

Cabbage Detective

Cabbages <3

The lead reviewer on there wanted to give a game a low score back when he worked for Gamespot, but Gamespot would not let him because they were payed to give it a decent score.

And although Gamespot is only one company, IGN works for FOX, that automatically makes everything they say bullshit.

So that's 2 companies

But this doesn't necessarily mean the game is bad. Because AngryJoe, an actual REVIEWER, gave it a 7/10
IGN itself is pure bullshit

Sunaka Marién

Most reviewers reviewed it as its own thing which would be fine but I never found a review that compared the combat to older DMC's and talked about the characterization and story elements instead most of what i saw was reviews talking about how good the combat and story was while never explaining why DmC is a reboot of the series so it should atleast be compared gameplay wise to past installments :I not very many reviewers did that
Hmm, I think GameOne mentioned that the gameplay is a bit easier compared to the previous installments, but yeah, I think that's the only review I ever saw who did that :/
I see your point, but the problem here might also be that they either don't have people that played the previous games, or that they might fear that the ones who did might be biased and give it a bad review on purpose.

Dante47

People can be stupid. Like, REALLY stupid. But it always amazes me at which lengths their stupidity goes, at times.
And the internet, the miraculous place where you can say everything you want without really taking responsibility for it because you're shielded by your screen, just makes things worse.
But it's good to see that the world is not made only of such people, but of intelligent and kind ones who are willing to enter peaceful and constructive conversations. Luckily, on this forum, there are many people of this kind (as for the rest, the better options is just ignoring them...)

Some-faith-in-humanity-has-been-restored.jpg

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
People need to stop hanging on to this idea that video game reviewers and gaming journalist are somehow evil.

I notice that for a lot of reviews people pretty much jump on *any* good review as bought. *Any* bad review is considered honest. And *any* review that is less than a 9/10 means the person has no idea what they're talking about or is bias.

Do you see the trend here? You know reviews are nothing but opinions right? And you seriously think critical acclaim sells games? If that were true, why isn't Psychonaust the highest selling game of all time? Psychonauts is widely regarded as one of the greatest games ever made, at least one of the greatest games of that respected generation. And even though every critic and their grandmother all adored the game, it hardly sold and unfortunately faded in to obscurity to gather a cult following more than anything all begging for a sequel one day.

*Seriously, if you people never played Psychonauts like go PLAY IT AS SOON AS POSSIBLE. It's awesome*

I like to sometimes hear a second opinion on games. I only like a few reviewers though. Mostly Yahtzee because he's just freaking hilarious and at least entertaining during his reviews. Other people I like to watch are probably just Adam Sessler and occasionally Angry Joe.

I don't know why companies would go out of their way to pay off the opinions of people or websites on the internet when it's been proven time and time again that critical acclaim doesn't sell a video game. Any company who honestly seeks any kind of marketing on sites like MetaCritic though should go down in flames for being so stupid. I HATE what MetaCritic represents but I won't go in to that because that's another rant.

Overall, review scores aren't evil. Someone may love a game and call it the best game they've ever played but, that doesn't mean I'll like it. How many people love games like Skyrim and Borderlands? Lots and it's handed high scores like candy. I however hate both Elder Scrolls and Borderlands so that perfect score someone gives it doesn't make a goddamn difference to me whatsoever. It won't get me to buy that product. It CAN'T.

Grow up people. There is no conspiracy going on.

The only one I'd give you is possibly IGN. Then again, who actually gives a sh!t of what they think? Yea they love those terrible army games. There's no way in hell though they can convince me to actually play a CoD game. No one can because I despise that series with a passion.

Martius

SSSmokin!
I could show some really stupid lines from reviews in magazines from my country. Or preview made by guy who admits in article he does not like and care for games from this genre.

Reviewer who also admits he does not like this genre, calls Bayonetta "Dante with better tits" or says "this game have too much crap on screen like jrpg".

Sunaka Marién

*Seriously, if you people never played Psychonauts like go PLAY IT AS SOON AS POSSIBLE. It's awesome*
/quote]
Ok, ok, I'm already ebay-ing :p You don't happen to know if the PC version is any good?
I don't know why companies would go out of their way to pay off the opinions of people or websites on the internet when it's been proven time and time again that critical acclaim doesn't sell a video game.
Maybe they hope that there are still enough people that believe in those critics :ermm:

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.

So that's 2 companies

Joe also clearly likes the original character of Dante better than the new one. But, he was willing to put that bias aside and judge the game on its own merit and a 7/10 is a good score. I found the review quite fair and he even thinks the DMC fans freaking out about it and personally scoring it lower are simply doing it out of spite and nothing else.

That being said, my favorite review of DmC is this.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
I think you can get Psychonauts off of Steam for like $10 and that's not bad at all. I never played the PC version since I still have my original copy of the game for X-Box when it first came out. It also later on came out for PS2.

I don't think the PC version would be any different. I'm confident you'll still enjoy it. However I personally like having these games in my collection. That's just me though lol, I'm a bit of a collector. I like seeing it on my shelf.

Sunaka Marién

I think you can get Psychonauts off of Steam for like $10 and that's not bad at all. I never played the PC version since I still have my original copy of the game for X-Box when it first came out. It also later on came out for PS2.

I don't think the PC version would be any different. I'm confident you'll still enjoy it. However I personally like having these games in my collection. That's just me though lol, I'm a bit of a collector. I like seeing it on my shelf.
Haha, yeah, me to <3 I am going to buy a physical version anyway, I only wonderd about the PC one sice that's the cheapest on ebay and I'm currently a bit short on money :blush:

IncarnatedDemon

I have no proof of paid reviews, but i would say some reviews was very suspicious.
This became more noticeable when they gave the game a 9/10.

I would argue TheSun and IGN were paid off.

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
I have no proof of paid reviews, but i would say some reviews was very suspicious.
This became more noticeable when they gave the game a 9/10.

I would argue TheSun and IGN were paid off.
You know that IGN is a subsidiary of Fox (Raptor) News. If anything, they should be giving DmC a bad review for tarnishing the image of Fox.

If there's no proof, then what's the problem? Maybe these reviewers like the game? Or is that so hard to believe?

As for The Sun, their opinion counts for nothing, so it would not be in the interests of Capcom to bribe them.

Besides, what does the opinion of game magazines and sites matter? We have our own minds and should be capable of making informed choices using our own brains when it comes to picking what games we play.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom