• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

We really, really don't need new consoles.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
So, yesterday I decided to stop by Gamestop to put a bit more money down on my pre-order of GTA 5. I ran in to someone I knew while I was there and then we got in a conversation about new consoles. He was all excited about the PS 4 and saying how he was going to get his the first day and all.

Of course I was thinking, well of course a diesel mechanic who earns about $30,000 a year compared to a financially struggling college kid who works as a part time tattoo tracer can probably afford that but that's beside the point.

He started telling me about all the new features and all and it just got me thinking how we really totally DO NOT NEED new consoles. (Chill out "PC Master Gaming Race" this discussion is for the people who do play consoles)

I don't know about you guys but, I am not going to replace a PS3 and my library of games I've collected over the years for a new system with a library of 0 games. The PS 4 won't even have backwards compadibility. For physical copies anyway. I heard of that Genkai system or something I think it's called but, why can't I just pop in my PS3 games?

And the press conference Sony had really showed nothing. This isn't a new generation but a simple extension of the existing one. Oooo graphics look better but then again, it looks virtually the same. And if the graphics quality really made the quality of games then Minecraft should totally suck.

I think Microsoft was having their press conference soon or they did already and I missed it but I'll just guess what it may hold. You'll see probably a new kinect because Microsoft is really wanting you to buy one of those things. A tiny man talking in an accent. Maybe a few Call Of Duties or Halo 5. Followed by fanboys arguing who showed the same crap best.

I could get in to the WiiU here too but why bother. We already know how that one did. "The WiiU is unique!" said one delusional Nintendo fanboy. Unique is a strange way to spell arbitrary friend.

Personally the only console I find myself interested in is the Ouya. I highly doubt I will be investing in X Box: Another One (calling the console that actually would sound like a step in the right direction har har) and when it comes to the PS4 I think that only a Little Big Planet 3 and Metal Gear Solid 5 along with an even bigger library of games will convince me down the line to pick one up. Right away? HELL TO THE EFFING NO.

So, what are your thoughts on the new generation? Do you have a sinking feeling it spells DOOOOOM or are you actually ready to take that next step now?

Rayl

Pain and pleasure... I've got it all.
Not really interested in any of them right now, i can see myself getting a WiiU down the line if Nintendo get around to making games that appeal to me but that's about it.

I might have had a different opinion if i wasn't part of the PC GAMING MASTER RACE THOUGH WOOOOOOOHOOOO!

VineBigBoss

GGXRD <3
My body is ready, i'll get a better PC or a PS4 in 2014 or 2015. I'll hang only with my PS3 for at least one or two more years, and i'll keep it instead of selling it to be able to play PS3 games.

New technologies don't only enable better graphics, but influences highly on performance, AI, more content within one single game and so on. I think this generation lasted even more than previous ones (it was 7 or 8 years, no?), it had its time and now the consoles are weak for the games that are comming out compared to high-end PCs.

Dark Drakan

Admin
I thought the same to begin with but after speaking to some developers I changed my mind. I mean the consoles are 10 years old, only so much they can get out of them still. Maybe nothing really pushed the consoles to true limits but there isn't much more they could do with them that wouldn't compromise overall game quality. Sure they could have kept making games prettier but overall with their limited RAM there wasn't a whole lot scale/gameplay wise left. Developers had been struggling to keep things optimised and running to their optimum for some time without compromising performance. Even the online networks were starting to lag behind the times and dashboards of both consoles are aged. They could have maybe stretched another few years out of them but with the PC market leaving them for dust developers have been crying out for more generous specs to play with so console games aren't stripped back versions.

I no longer buy consoles on release, I will wait until games libraries start to fill up and prices start to drop. Won't be ditching my 360 any time soon regardless, would love a PC but can't afford one yet (wedding & honeymoon to pay for).

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
I thought the same to begin with but after speaking to some developers I changed my mind. I mean the consoles are 10 years old, only so much they can get out of them still. Maybe nothing really pushed the consoles to true limits but there isn't much more they could do with them that wouldn't compromise overall game quality. Sure they could have kept making games prettier but overall with their limited RAM there wasn't a whole lot scale/gameplay wise left. Developers had been struggling to keep things optimised and running to their optimum for some time without compromising performance. Even the online networks were starting to lag behind the times and dashboards of both consoles are aged. They could have maybe stretched another few years out of them but with the PC market leaving them for dust developers have been crying out for more generous specs to play with so console games aren't stripped back versions.

I no longer buy consoles on release, I will wait until games libraries start to fill up and prices start to drop. Won't be ditching my 360 any time soon regardless, would love a PC but can't afford one yet (wedding & honeymoon to pay for).
I personally would like to invest in an upgraded PC for gaming but, consoles just seem more convenient for me and with computers being almost a 2nd language to me for the most part, it's also personally easier. I play games on everything, including PC but, I have a stronger emphasis on consoles probably.

I'm just not feeling it with the new generation. When the PS3 and 360 were shown off it blew everyone's minds. It really was a drastic upgrade. 10 years still seems a little too soon for me. It's looking like a jump from 8 bit to 16 to an extent. All I know, no one is really pulling me in to get anything new.

And the lack of backwards compadibility is what really gets me for the most part. Like they are trying to pretty much erase the past. What will I do when the good old NES wears out on me? It's a new NES or DOOM.

Sure I can do emulators but I love the traditional feel of that retro console. Not many people seem to understand. I'm also the kind of guy that enjoys going to the movies just because I enjoy the movie theater. 21 years old and I'm talking like I'm 50 lol.

DemonSlayer6

that zzzombiekid
I don't know about you guys but, I am not going to replace a PS3 and my library of games I've collected over the years for a new system with a library of 0 games. The PS 4 won't even have backwards compadibility. For physical copies anyway. I heard of that Genkai system or something I think it's called but, why can't I just pop in my PS3 games?

This is an incredibly painful thing to come to terms with for me, and I must agree with you. Hours of time and money spent on these games is something I refuse to give up to a new console I'll have to start all this shenanigans with again.
However sadly, with the PS 4 as well, everything is going cloud. :<

Radicus

I think the main thing that one could view as good from a new generation of consoles is that they can FINALLY stop making games for junky 10 YEAR OLD HARDWARE. Might actually get some game developers to do some really cool stuff now, instead to recycling the same old garbage over and over again...not that that will keep them from doing it (I'm lookin' at you Bethesda, Treyarch) but it'll help the process a bit and give it the much needed push it's been lacking for the last decade or so...
That being said, I have no desire or love of spending another $400+ on another new console (Hell, just got my PS3 last year for like $200, I'm good for a while)

So yeah, for a game developer it's a good thing.
For a consumer it's a right pain in the ass.

ZeroLove

Replace the PS3... No. I will keep my PS3 to play PS3 games on. However, I will add a PS4 to my home and play PS4 games on it. People always use the argument that "we have to buy all the games all over again because the PS4 isn't backwards compatible"... Why would you do that if you already got a PS3? No need for that. Back when the SNES was released, I didn't replace my NES with it. I had both so I could play their respective games on them.

It is not about whether or not we need new consoles. A console was never a need. It's about evolved technology, better machines and graphics, easier access, social media and everything that follows with it. Not to mention the competition on the gaming market.

So no, we don't need it... But it was never about need.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
I think the main thing that one could view as good from a new generation of consoles is that they can FINALLY stop making games for junky 10 YEAR OLD HARDWARE. Might actually get some game developers to do some really cool stuff now, instead to recycling the same old garbage over and over again...not that that will keep them from doing it (I'm lookin' at you Bethesda, Treyarch) but it'll help the process a bit and give it the much needed push it's been lacking for the last decade or so...
That being said, I have no desire or love of spending another $400+ on another new console (Hell, just got my PS3 last year for like $200, I'm good for a while)

So yeah, for a game developer it's a good thing.
For a consumer it's a right pain in the ass.
The problem is also that the developers are STILL giving us the same old crap with a new generation of consoles as well. Just look at the PS3 conference and all the games shown off are either carry overs or sequels for the most part. The industry needs to evolve with the better hardware and from the looks of it, the industry isn't doing that.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
Unless something is done, I predict we will be dealing with the same BS that we deal with in the current one.

ZeroLove

The problem is also that the developers are STILL giving us the same old crap with a new generation of consoles as well. Just look at the PS3 conference and all the games shown off are either carry overs or sequels for the most part. The industry needs to evolve with the better hardware and from the looks of it, the industry isn't doing that.

Take a look at one of the first PS3 games. Then take a look at one of the newest. Are you seriously telling me there haven't been any development there? Because if so, then that's just an upright lie.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
Replace the PS3... No. I will keep my PS3 to play PS3 games on. However, I will add a PS4 to my home and play PS4 games on it. People always use the argument that "we have to buy all the games all over again because the PS4 isn't backwards compatible"... Why would you do that if you already got a PS3? No need for that. Back when the SNES was released, I didn't replace my NES with it. I had both so I could play games the respective games on them.

It is not about whether or not we need new consoles. A console was never a need. It's about evolved technology, better machines and graphics, easier access, social media and everything that follows with it. Not to mention the competition on the gaming market.

Well, of course video games aren't a need but, with the PS4 on the horizon it's basically saying get with the program or be left behind. You don;t seen Nintendo making games for the Gameboy still do you? I really don't think many of us are really ready to get with that program just yet.

I only find die hard Sony and Microsoft fans really willing to support those systems at launch while everyone else who thinks about doesn't think it's worth it yet.

And stupid things this industry pulls doesn't make it look promising. A lot of big companies look like people who will get their hands on this upgraded technology and throw away the instructions on how to use it. Catch my drift?

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
Take a look at one of the first PS3 games. Then take a look at one of the newest. Are you seriously telling me there haven't been any development there? Because if so, then that's just an upright lie.
I'm not talking about the upgraded quality of the games. I'm talking about the the industry. The AAA industry is saturated with the same generic bull crap and a severe lack of interesting or innovative new IPs or ideas.

Why do you think I invest so much time in to indie games? They are the only ones willing to be interesting, unique, and fun. The suits up there make things predictable. Just take a minute to look back at all the games in recent memory.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
To sum it all up, they will deliver the same type of crap we deal with now but, it's just going to have prettier graphics.

STEAM get the Steam baths going because I'll probably be resorting to you for comfort for quite a while.

ZeroLove

But the last generation of consoles are outdated. As it was mentioned above, the developers can't make the games they want to make as the consoles we have now have outdated technology. It is time to move on, because technology has moved on. You can still enjoy the old consoles, you just won't get anything new for them.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
But the last generation of consoles are outdated. As it was mentioned above, the developers can't make the games they want to make as the consoles we have now have outdated technology. It is time to move on, because technology has moved on. You can still enjoy the old consoles, you just won't get anything new for them.
Why do the games they want to make consist of the same stuff they've already been making? Again, the prime example of the point I'm trying to make is when you look at the PS4 press conference, it was sequels and carry overs for the most part.

VineBigBoss

GGXRD <3
Replace the PS3... No. I will keep my PS3 to play PS3 games on. However, I will add a PS4 to my home and play PS4 games on it. People always use the argument that "we have to buy all the games all over again because the PS4 isn't backwards compatible"... Why would you do that if you already got a PS3? No need for that. Back when the SNES was released, I didn't replace my NES with it. I had both so I could play their respective games on them.

Sadly, i was not able to keep my old consoles like SNES, N64, DC, GC and even my GBC, here in Brazil videogames are still kinda a... "luxury", so most of the kids from my time (90s) growth with the mentality that they needed to sell their old consoles to buy a new one.

I understand people complaining about the backward compatibility, and it's really a good thing to have. My PS2 is still here and i could play a lot of cool PSX games with him. But, yeah, for people who already are living their own lifes and got their own money, this doesn't make THAT much of a difference holding on the old consoles and buying a new console/upgrading the PC.

Top Bottom