• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Was anyone else disappointed with how the story went for DMC5?

Vergil95

Might controls everything, and without strength, y
Honestly is there anything from the light novel or manga that should have been in the game?

Most of it was fine but unessential.

The DMC2 callback should have been DLC.
I think that they should have put more vergil flashback like the one whit mundus that it's present in the manga, but the rest it's just more contenent that the game doesn't need

Carlos

A powerful demon
Xen-Omni 2020
Honestly its the second or third best DMC story behind 3 and sometimes the reboot. This is the best written Dante in the post DMC1 era.

I'm more mixed than dissapointed but thats more about the big reveal of V being Vergil's humanity and the resolution of the game. The more i thought about it, the more i thought sparing Vergil and the sentiment behind the act was unearned.

I would have preferred a more straightforward Vergil story. V is wasted as Vergil's humanity and better off as his own man with his spinoff.

Everything else i didn't mind. Im not fond of nero but he's more tolerable and likable in the later half of the game. I dont give a darn about Vergil being Nero's dad but that scene was well acted.

Lady/Trish didn't do anything but i had a feeling that would happen. Granted Trish's scene was my favorite Trish moment ever. I wish Trish and V had a stage together.

I think i lost interest in the classic cast and rather see them start fresh with a new one.
I have a similar sentiment. Especially bolded. I also felt like V and Trish bounce off of each other, like they're a couple. :cool:

They were teasing Vergil being Nero's father in DMC4, so I don't know why you're like "I dont give a darn about Vergil being Nero's dad but that scene was well acted." And I agree with you on the latter, I liked how that scene was acted. "HE'S your father!" I can see the emotion coming from Dante there.
To me it's just simply the fact that they have the whole thing fleshed out, yet it's kinda missing ingame.
All in all it's little things, but the manga alone makes me see Vergil as less of a total looser then I though he was after finishing the game.
V makes it look like he actually knows that he totally screwed up, he knows he did go the wrong path and he needs to fix it somehow.
The manga hasn't ended, so it kinda depends on how the whole thing plays out and if we get to see him merge back at the end and maybe get a bit more insight into Vergil himself afterwards.
I was never a fan of those kind of details missing in a game, sure they aren't necessary, sure they would've been hard to implement into the product we got but it would have been nice if they had been there.
This, I agree with, as well. There's something missing from DMC5. I can't point my finger at it. I can't pinpoint it.

berto

I Saw the Devil
Alright. So, first, from the start, the things that I was actually tremendously disappointed with were the pre release things.

The first thing I was not happy with was how they changed E&I to say .45 Art Works. The original inscription said Warks. This was a quirk, sure, but gave the guns a certain personality and it's something that's been part of the canon for this game from the very start. Not a thing anymore (There's a mod for that, though). They even go out of their way to excuse it in the novel with a line “Guns this beautiful shouldn’t have a spelling mistake on them.” That reasoning didn't sit well with me. It felt like they were treating as if it actually was some sort of mistake.

Then they change the order of the games from 3 then 1 then 4 and finally 2, presumably to follow 5 to 3, 1, 2, 4, 5. Yeah, it's less confusing, for new people, but we got used to it, it's been establish canon for 11 years and everyone who's been with it as long as I know what the score is and it becomes a matter of fact. Hell, the only artbook published to other languages for the franchise is titles 3142.

The other pre-release things that just didn't sit well with me were a whole bunch of things that happened during the prequel novel. The summary description started to get translated and a whole bunch of things just felt awful, mostly things to do with Dante. Right off the bat Dante comes off as a moron who can't remember names of women (and Sparda, too, apparently) because he's so laid back he can't be bothered to. Same with demons. Originally, Dante was supposed to be a man with a superior intellect which is why he was the only one that could stand up to the demons, because they possessed intelligence surpassing that of men. Now he's an idiot who can fight better than most. Grand. It's like he doesn't care or even try to. The man is full of lame dismissive lines and unlikable attributes. The way he brushed off Lucia was so out of character even from what he was like in 2. Yeah, he was stoick but not uncaring. He can't even be bothered to remember the demons he's killed. Aside from fighting, this Dante is a useless wanker and I'd never confuse this sorry tosser for a man of superior intellect.

Then comes the whole Yamato opens gateways, which I didn't make the connection of at first but then it hit me: Yamato doesn't open gates to jack squat. That was DmC thing. Vergil never used it to teleport to anything, ever, until this game and they got it from DmC. Add to that Nero's new look, how they chose a London like city because of their time working with NT and I just knew there'd be more DmC in this game. I don't like DmC. It's not a fanboy thing anymore, I like a lot of the elements it brought to the table, certain decisions in the combat and navigation and I even own a copy but overall I think there are too many issues, namely in the story and the balance so seeing 5 take story cues from it and acting like it was established lore, even though they never belong to DMC, had me scratching at the walls... Metaphorically.

There is this one dude who made a video not long ago, someone posted it here, where he talked about his disappointment with the game. In a segment he talks about how so many elements of the game contradict so much of what happened in the other games that rather than world building DMC5 is world destroying. That's what this felt like, like 5 started to pull apart and take away things that made the game's world, well, it and either replacing them with DmC things or 'correcting' the quirks it had, like a weird release canon or intentional bad spelling of something, as though they were mistakes.

And most of this is just the stuff before the game came out.

PS: Side note: Why does everything take place ten years ago in this novel? The events of the first novel where he got his guns and went by Tony, the Vie de Marli incident, the events of the anime, all take place 10 years prior to this and even Eva died 10 years ago to the events of DMC1 (which they later correct to being 20). Except for the last one they make it seem like everything happened in that one year.

Last edited:

Carlos

A powerful demon
Xen-Omni 2020
Then comes the whole Yamato opens gateways, which I didn't make the connection of at first but then it hit me: Yamato doesn't open gates to jack squat. That was DmC thing. Vergil never used it to teleport to anything, ever, until this game and they got it from DmC. Add to that Nero's new look, how they chose a London like city because of their time working with NT and I just knew there'd be more DmC in this game. I don't like DmC. It's not a fanboy thing anymore, I like a lot of the elements it brought to the table, certain decisions in the combat and navigation and I even own a copy but overall I think there are too many issues, namely in the story and the balance so seeing 5 take story cues from it and acting like it was established lore, even though they never belong to DMC, had me scratching at the walls... Metaphorically.
I was literally going like "Yeah, what the ****?" When I was playing the game, and I saw that, I was like "huh...?" I was genuinely confused. I was thinking to myself at the time - "Since when did DMC allowed you to open portals at will?" Well, DMC3, yeah, but you had to do a ritual to open the gate to the demon wold, but at will...? When did that happen...?

I agree most of the stuff in DMC5 is a bit contradictory. I agree, completely.

berto

I Saw the Devil
Well, DMC3, yeah, but you had to do a ritual to open the gate to the demon wold, but at will...?
That's a good point. If it was so easy for Vergil to open portals with his sword why bother, well, DMC3 at all? He could've just teleported to wherever he wanted and take whatever he wanted. Agnus talked about what a huge deal it is to make hell gates but if the Yamato had that power why bother with any other devil arm to power them? This thing does it on its own.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
@Carlos
I didn't mean like that but I've seen weirder ships with V so have at it.

What i meant was i wasn't interested in Nero being Vergil's kid at all. Heck i was barely interested in Nero to begin with. But that scene was well acted so you gotta give credit were credit is due.

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
For me, its a bit of a double-edge sword.

On the pros side, DMC5 delivered most likely the best story I've ever seen from the series. There was a legitimate sense of urgency with the characters to get this harrowing situation taken care of, as opposed to treating it all like one big joke. Most of the time, Devil May Cry has a rushed story take the backseat while its gameplay shines, but this time felt like there was more of a blend between story and gameplay to be equally fine-tuned to perfection. Nero for once wasn't a disappointment to me. I began to really like him in this game with the way he plays, and the personality he carries. Dante was...well, I get to that later. V stood out due to how different he is as a character in this series. There was a new style of gameplay he's brought to the floor.

However my cons for the game felt like the spoke a lil louder then I realized. For Nero's part, my only issues were near the end, where he felt as though he no longer mattered once Dante returned to the scene. Suddenly it felt like Dante was taking up most of the story, while Nero took the back seat. I get that Dante is the golden boy, but the story legit felt like it pushed Nero's whole arc aside, to make room for Dante and Vergil's sibling rivalry again. And then of course the big reveal of Vergil being Nero's father that people saw coming from a mile away. But that wasn't what disappointed me. It was instead how they revealed it. It was just blurted out by Dante with no real build up involved. It was just spontaneous with no weight behind it.

V's whole arc felt like it was going to something promising, until the end where his character is wasted into becoming the human side of Vergil. What I would've loved to have seen more of is V's ACTUAL humanistic traits that would have me really buy into him being Vergil's 'human' version. Instead, all he did was sprout poetry and talk in foreboding monologues. And why name him V? As if it weren't obvious that he had something to do with Vergil. They could've done so much better, like naming him Alighieri to tie in with the Dante's Inferno mythos. And since I'm on V's ass, I gotta get to Vergil here before I get to anything else.

Vergil's appearance in this game is no different than his whole theme in DMC3. He comes back, causes trouble for Dante, disappears, and waits at the top of another tower to have a final battle with his brother. I know not completely like DMC3, but the familiarity is there, and it's gotten a tad overplayed. And then, Vergil being Urizen was almost so predictable that I wished he WASN'T. But the spoilers from the trailer that featured Vergil made all too obvious who Urizen really was. To be played up as the big new bad that actually BEAT Dante, and it turns out to just be a glorified version of Vergil. Way to barely scrape the bottom of the creativity barrel, Capcom.

The ladies in this game were some of the worst, save for Kyrie and even Nico. Now with Kyrie, I wasn't expecting an appearance, but she had importance at the end where she pushes Nero to do what he thought was right when it came to Vergil and Dante. That alone made her feel like a guiding hand to Nero and what I really wanted more of from her. I hope to actually see her physically appear in the next game if Nero is the lead protagonist. Now Nico? I already said enough dirty things about Nico:whistle: But honestly, I just like her character the most out of the female cast in this game. She was funny, she was wild, and she gave the game some much needed tough girl fire that Lady and Trish haven't had this whole entry. And now for the two golden girls.
You'd think this being a gracious return that Lady and Trish would shine brightly, but instead they seemed to crash and burn from the very start. Both come strong in mission 10, but are beaten and forced to be shelved in demons for half of the whole game, only to be shelved once again through out with no action from them. It's pretty sad we won't get any DLC for them to at least give them a chance to be cool, but I guess that's just how Capcom sees them when they're not walking/talking boobs.

And finally there's Dante. In this game, he's definitely an improvement from the abomination that was DMC4 Dante, while taking cues from DmC Dante to actually form something of a personality. However, my problem with Dante is that he took up most of Nero's venture to play "who can kill the big boss first." Also, like @berto I've grown sick of Dante's character slowly diminishing into that of a hopeless slob, who can't even be bothered to get a part-time job to save himself from the lights shutting off in his office. I never understood why he doesn't just find something on the side. Is he just THAT useless at things besides killing demons? Also, maybe it's just me, but sometimes Dante doesn't feel like he really cares for humanity like he says he does. DmC!Dante started off as an a-hole, but as the game progressed, began to see things in different perspectives when it came to good/bad demons, and how humanity needed a protector. However, DMC5 Dante feels like all that doesn't matter compared to fighting his brother one more time and doing the job simply because that's all there is to do. Dante isn't like that to me. I think he does the job to also save the human race from demons. Which is also why him leaving it all up to Nero felt strangely out of character. To just say "F#$k Earth, you got this Nero" and just shove off to Hell to have 1v1 with his brother for all eternity, rubbed me the wrong way.

All in all; its story isn't bad in anyway, shape, or form, but I wouldn't say its flawless in its execution. At least it's not as bad as Kingdom Hearts 3's story.

Vergil95

Alright. So, first, from the start, the things that I was actually tremendously disappointed with were the pre release things.

The first thing I was not happy with was how they changed E&I to say .45 Art Works. The original inscription said Warks. This was a quirk, sure, but gave the guns a certain personality and it's something that's been part of the canon for this game from the very start. Not a thing anymore (There's a mod for that, though). They even go out of their way to excuse it in the novel with a line “Guns this beautiful shouldn’t have a spelling mistake on them.” That reasoning didn't sit well with me. It felt like they were treating as if it actually was some sort of mistake.

Then they change the order of the games from 3 then 1 then 4 and finally 2, presumably to follow 5 to 3, 1, 2, 4, 5. Yeah, it's less confusing, for new people, but we got used to it, it's been establish canon for 11 years and everyone who's been with it as long as I know what the score is and it becomes a matter of fact. Hell, the only artbook published to other languages for the franchise is titles 3142.

The other pre-release things that just didn't sit well with me were a whole bunch of things that happened during the prequel novel. The summary description started to get translated and a whole bunch of things just felt awful, mostly things to do with Dante. Right off the bat Dante comes off as a moron who can't remember names of women (and Sparda, too, apparently) because he's so laid back he can't be bothered to. Same with demons. Originally, Dante was supposed to be a man with a superior intellect which is why he was the only one that could stand up to the demons, because they possessed intelligence surpassing that of men. Now he's an idiot who can fight better than most. Grand. It's like he doesn't care or even try to. The man is full of lame dismissive lines and unlikable attributes. The way he brushed off Lucia was so out of character even from what he was like in 2. Yeah, he was stoick but not uncaring. He can't even be bothered to remember the demons he's killed. Aside from fighting, this Dante is a useless wanker and I'd never confuse this sorry tosser for a man of superior intellect.

There is this one dude who made a video not long ago, someone posted it here, where he talked about his disappointment with the game. In a segment he talks about how so many elements of the game contradict so much of what happened in the other games that rather than world building DMC5 is world destroying. That's what this felt like, like 5 started to pull apart and take away things that made the game's world, well, it and either replacing them with DmC things or 'correcting' the quirks it had, like a weird release canon or intentional bad spelling of something, as though they were mistakes.

And most of this is just the stuff before the game came out.

PS: Side note: Why does everything take place ten years ago in this novel? The events of the first novel where he got his guns and went by Tony, the Vie de Marli incident, the events of the anime, all take place 10 years prior to this and even Eva died 10 years ago to the events of DMC1 (which they later correct to being 20). Except for the last one they make it seem like everything happened in that one year.
Actually the art warks things was a mistake from the start, it was not intentional, the designer from Capcom who designed the guns didn t write work properly but instead wrote wark and this error went into the game... Capcom always seid that it was an error and finally they changed it in dmc 5...

Yamato was always able to open portal, Infact in dmc 4 he can open and destroy hell gate, so this is nothing new actually, DMC take the idea from dmc 4 and dmc 5 continue this, also vergil only open portal that can go in part of the real world or already opened underworld, he cannot open portal to venture directly into the demone world unless he would have used it at the end of dmc 5 to go away from the demon world whit dante... That s why he cannot use Yamato to open a gate to go into the demon world in dmc 3, also vergil can teleport himself indipendently since dmc 1, so use a bit of imagination, combine that power whit the Yamato and you can have portal teleportation

I m glad they changed the timeline, after all dmc 2 is so pointless that they could have eradicated it completely from Canon, also it would have been awkward to have dmc between 4 and 5 because it destroy the story and character continuity...

We should read the novel entirely to understand dante character, the summary can't let us understand anything since sometimes the one who made it even make jokes on dialogue...

I don't remember that everything happens only 10 years befor dmc 5, some part of the novel take place 5 years before or less if I am correct, the anime take place 5-6 years before dmc 5, dante mother was killed 20 years before dmc 1, dante got his guns before dmc 3 so the event in Wich he first took his guns take place some 30 years before dmc 5 and some 5 ore more years before dmc 3... Your information are a bit incorrect

Last edited:

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
Actually the art warks things was a mistake from the start

Wouldn't be surprised. They also messed up Nelo Angelo in the first game. It was supposed to be Nero Angelo but unfortunately the Nelo mistake stuck as the actual name of the character.

As an Italian, I've always been uncomfortable with saying Nelo Angelo, especially when talking to my Italian friends, instead of Nero Angelo cause it sounds so stupid. Wish they had retconned that as well.

Vergil95

Wouldn't be surprised. They also messed up Nelo Angelo in the first game. It was supposed to be Nero Angelo but unfortunately the Nelo mistake stuck as the actual name of the character.

As an Italian, I've always been uncomfortable with saying Nelo Angelo, especially when talking to my Italian friends, instead of Nero Angelo cause it sounds so stupid. Wish they had retconned that as well.
Yeah I am Italian too, and it sound so weird to say nelo Angelo, because it had no sense

Nero angelo instead is more poetic and stay whit the divine comedy perspective that the game has

In Japanese is nero angelo but in English they misstraslated it as nelo Angelo...
Since they never say nelo Angelo in game they could have easyli fix and having griffon say Nero angelo in dmc 5, but no they repeat the same error and put nelo Angelo as canon

berto

I Saw the Devil
Actually the art warks things was a mistake from the start
I know it was but it was one they owned and went with. Something they incorporated as a part of its history from the start, which is 18 years.

Yamato was always able to open portal, Infact in dmc 4 he can open and destroy hell gate
Yamato didn't open the portal in 4, it powered the portal, otherwise the other DAs they were using to power the smaller ones can also open portals to hell. Vergil literally never used Yamato to travel anywhere, nor did Dante, or Nero. No one, not till DmC.

vergil only open portal that can go in part of the real world or already opened underworld
Where does it say that?

vergil can teleport himself indipendently
That's very different. He isn't teleporting himself through dimensions, he is doing a quick step type deal and even when he is fleeting in thunder it doesn't take him across realms.

dmc 2 is so pointless that they could have eradicated it completely from Canon
But they don't and they even double down on it every chance they get. It's there. That's how it is.

Vergil95

I know it was but it was one they owned and went with. Something they incorporated as a part of its history from the start, which is 18 years.

Yamato didn't open the portal in 4, it powered the portal, otherwise the other DAs they were using to power the smaller ones can also open portals to hell. Vergil literally never used Yamato to travel anywhere, nor did Dante, or Nero. No one, not till DmC.

Where does it say that?

That's very different. He isn't teleporting himself through dimensions, he is doing a quick step type deal and even when he is fleeting in thunder it doesn't take him across realms.

But they don't and they even double down on it every chance they get. It's there. That's how it is.
The fact is that they didn't want to put that warks things into the game, they wanted to write works, it was a mistake and I'm glade they changed it because warks doesn't mean anything, I hope they change nelo angelo too

Well I don't see anything wrong whit Yamato opening portal, it's a nice things, and in dmc 4 Yamato can open and destroy hell gate, sparda also use the Yamato to close some hell gate, so Yamato can open gate that can lead to other parts of the world and can close them too, that what dmc 4 stated, that s not that different from opening portal to other part of the world, also for more than 40 year dante had rebellion but only understand what is real power was in dmc 5, probably neither dante neither nero know that Yamato can create portale (Dante didn't even know about his sword power let alone about yamato power) , Yamato can also separate a people who had both human and demon blood in two parts, this was never stated in any other game but it happen in dmc 5 and I don't really see the problem whit this, adding new stuff into the mitology of the game... Adding this feature to Yamato render the sword more unique in my opinion... Stuff like this always appended in dmc universe, the force edge was a simple sword but in reality was the sparda sword all along whit more power in it, so probably the Yamato had other power we were never told so far...

Vergil travel across realm in DMC5? Where did you see this? Sorry maybe I played I different game because this happened in the dmc 5 I played: vergil took the Yamato from Nero than he opened a portal and teleported to his family house, that was in the human world, than after V reunited whit urizen he regain Yamato and he opened a portal to go on the top of the qliphot something that you can visibly see in the human world...when and where did he opened a portal to another realm? he cannot openenportal to other realms, Infact dante and vergil are trapped into the underworld because Yamato can't go trought hell and human world, if Yamato would have been able to go trought realm don't you think that vergil would have used it in dmc 3 to went directly into helll or in dmc 5 to escape the demon world whit dante? What you are saying is wrong information, Yamato can only open portal that can go trought another part of the world, this power is something vergil already have alone, Yamato only amplified this in my opinion, in dmc 1 nelo Angelo literally teleport himself where the **** he want after every battle so I don't see why vergil can't do that whit the help of Yamato....

Dmc 2 it there but it's a **** game, probably one of the worst game ever made, Capcom didn forget about it, but the story is useless it has no need to be remembered into other game... This is the story: Lucia and matier ask dante to defeat arius and his master and he will get a secret story about sparda in reward ... Lucia find out she is a creation of arius... Dante defeat arius... In reality dante already know the story about sparda: he went into the demon world alone... Dante did the same things and venture into the underworld to defeat argosax and so he did... Arius is alive, Lucia kill him... Dante is trapped in hell but in a secret ending scene it is revealed he get out... ****ty story, it's look almost like a anime mission...
Dmc 5 novel connect dmc 2 to the series so I don't really understand what more Capcom can do about it... Dmc 2 starts and ends there, the only things they can do is to have Lucia happear as a supporting character in future games nothing more...

Last edited:

Erian1Mortal

Premium
the now even weirder part with the art warks thing is, the novels are now partly canon...
and it was part of Neil Goldsteins shop and all.

Vergil95

the now even weirder part with the art warks thing is, the novels are now partly canon...
I think they made some character and situation Canon but not the whole novel itself... Like some star wars character from novel that were non Canon, now are Canon because they are going to put them in future TV series, but the novel in Wich they are taken from is still non Canon...

meg5493

Praise the Sun!
After urizen eat the fruit they should made a Longer third act in my opinion, whit more interaction between dante and vergil especially emotionally and they should have ventured more in their past especially vergil one

Actually devil may cry 2 is mentioned in the devil may cry 5 novel, Lucia is there whit matier and dante get back to vie de Marly, they explain how dante escape hell and this novel make good justice to dmc 2 connecting it to the rest of the francise, after all we cannot blame them if they didn't want to put any connection whit dmc 2, i mean the story is pointless and the game is ****, at least the novel connect it, also the devil arm Balrog that dante had from the start was take after defeating argosax right hand man in vie de marli
DMC2 getting swaped last minute in a youtube video tipped me off this games story wasn't gonna be as great as I thought it would be, DMC2 had something interesting going and nots gone and can be totally wiped off the timeline because it exists in a void apparently. The novel does nothing for me because while it does have my fav girl Lucia in it, only a fan sub exists for it and no mention is made anywhere in the game from file to cutscene. And the fact that Dante is being "serious" to Vergil is meaningless since progression literally goes from Dante being like "Verg if you eat this apple thats it, the last shred of your humanity will be gone forever" *eats apple* "so Verg you banged a chick and never told me lol". Like what am I supposed to be feeling in this, Vergil in 5 is all over the place.

meg5493

Praise the Sun!
My biggest problem is actually that a lot of the links to the past and the whole Vergil stuff (or rather V's story) seems to happen in supplementary material that isn't even officially available in english.
Like we got the Novel, that seems to flesh out DMC2, the weapons, Nico and Nero meeting and stuff like that.
And we got the V manga which delves deeper into Vergil as a character and shows a bunch of stuff from his past.

Don't get me wrong, I was satisfied with the game overall and to me it's a good jumping off point for the Devs to actually innovate a bunch in next installments or do spin offs and such.

But there were a lot of missed opportunities storywise.

Thats the problem, supplementary material that isn't regarded in the game at all, the Visions of V manga has the excuse of mostly be produced after the game came out, but Before the Nightmare had to have been planned along side 5 at some point yet none of it is mentioned in files or Morrisons notes. The closest I can count to being similar is the DMC3 manga which explains the whole one whole year line in 3 and DMC1/2 novels being leadups to the game and having slight references atleast 1's does, i have theories about 2's lol.

And oh god the DMC1 novel I remember using that as proof that if Vergil was going to be in 5 he totally wasn't going to be redeemed since he kills Nell at the end, but funny how the game leaves out that one bit of info :banghead:

Vergil95

DMC2 getting swaped last minute in a youtube video tipped me off this games story wasn't gonna be as great as I thought it would be, DMC2 had something interesting going and nots gone and can be totally wiped off the timeline because it exists in a void apparently. The novel does nothing for me because while it does have my fav girl Lucia in it, only a fan sub exists for it and no mention is made anywhere in the game from file to cutscene. And the fact that Dante is being "serious" to Vergil is meaningless since progression literally goes from Dante being like "Verg if you eat this apple thats it, the last shred of your humanity will be gone forever" *eats apple* "so Verg you banged a chick and never told me lol". Like what am I supposed to be feeling in this, Vergil in 5 is all over the place.
Why should they have mentioned the novel in file? Since it came out whit the game Capcom obviously want player to spend other money to buy it to read the whole story, the same things happened whit Fingal fantasy xv, you want to know what happened before? Watch the movie, watch the anime...

Yeah vergil and Dante totally lost their seriousness in the third act

@meg5493 the novel isn't Canon so vergil killing nell isn't Canon, dmc 3 already established that long ago... unless Capcom decide to make it Canon in later game, but for now it isn't since Nico talk about Nell goldenstein in front of V and V doesn't even know who the hell she is

As I sayd before they only take character, place and situation out of the novel but this doesn't mean it is Canon

Last edited:

berto

I Saw the Devil
And oh god the DMC1 novel I remember using that as proof that if Vergil was going to be in 5 he totally wasn't going to be redeemed since he kills Nell at the end, but funny how the game leaves out that one bit of info :banghead:
This brings a huge point of confusion for me. The novel isn't canon, per se, but just about every event in it is. From Gru dying and his daughter being transformed in the hospital (and quite possibly how Dante had to kill her to save her), how Nell made him his guns, died, the massacre at Bobby's Cellar. Everything that happened in the novel has been confirmed in the new one but it also goes out of its way to let us know that Vergil took no alias so 1) he wasn't Gilver 2) he wasn't part of the demon invasion and 3) he wasn't involved in the events of the novel. He is way to central a character in those events for things to have gone down the same way without him being there. He killed Gru and Nell, he summoned the demons in the bar, he was pretty much the cathelist for the events that led Dante to reclaim his name.

The fact is that they didn't want to put that warks things into the game
Yet they kept it and incorporated it. It became part of the lore and if it was such a big error, so cumbersome, they had 18 years and 4 other games to fix it in.

it was a mistake and I'm glade they changed it because warks doesn't mean anything
Not I. It feels like I have more attachment to the lore than the people who are in charge of it. So what if it means nothing. It was a part of the history of the franchise. If it didn't matter, what, with it being so small a thing you'd never notice in game, then no one would've bothered to mod it back in. I know not many people care but to me it feels like seeing Dante smoke in that announcement trailer again.

and in dmc 4 Yamato can open and destroy hell gate,
ALL devil arms can. They use them as batteries, not as the actual thing that opens the gates.

Vergil travel across realm in DMC5?
Where do you think Urizen went after he split from V? He went to hell to get the tree. It only grows there. If that's not enough the novel itself says so. The fragments that broke from Yamato opened portals from hell to the human world. It's how Balrog got here.

Dmc 2 it there but it's a **** game, probably one of the worst game ever made,
Doesn't make it go away. Capcom sticks by it and the lore is there, like it or no. They won't remake it, that's for sure, but they won't discard it, either.

Last edited:

meg5493

Praise the Sun!
This brings a huge point of confusion for me. The novel isn't canon, per se, but just about every event in it is. From Gru dying and his daughter being transformed in the hospital (and quite possibly how Dante had to kill her to save her), how Nell made him his guns, died, the massacre at Bobby's Cellar. Everything that happened in the novel has been confirmed in the new one but it also goes out of its way to let us know that Vergil took no alias so 1) he wasn't Gilver 2) he wasn't part of the demon invasion and 3) he wasn't involved in the events of the novel. He is way to central a character in those events for things to have gone down the same way without him being there. He killed Gru and Nell, he summoned the demons in the bar, he was pretty much the cathelist for the events that led Dante to reclaim his name.

Yeah like I know people like to try and justify how it happened but at the end of the day remaking the DMC1 novel canon in a post DMC3 world doesn't work since they've smooshed the timeline together so concisely that it'd have to conform with so much contradicting lore that it doesn't work. It's hilarious to me since the novel is probably Vergil at his cruelest especially towards Dante, he's evil and the fact that Capcom made it canon and then left it intentionally ambigious in the game so fans aren't "conflicted" is terrible.

Why should they have mentioned the novel in file? Since it came out whit the game Capcom obviously want player to spend other money to buy it to read the whole story, the same things happened whit Fingal fantasy xv, you want to know what happened before? Watch the movie, watch the anime...

Yeah vergil and Dante totally lost their seriousness in the third act

@meg5493 the novel isn't Canon so vergil killing nell isn't Canon, dmc 3 already established that long ago... unless Capcom decide to make it Canon in later game, but for now it isn't since Nico talk about Nell goldenstein in front of V and V doesn't even know who the hell she is

As I sayd before they only take character, place and situation out of the novel but this doesn't mean it is Canon
Considering that the Before the Nightmare novel is canon and takes place right before the game with Dante getting Balrog, the only thing thats mentioned is Nico commenting on getting the files from Nero (so there is one reference, my mistake) but the fact that info like Lucia,who was once described as having the power to defeat Gods, who played a sizable part in the novel doesn't get any mention in 5 but someone like Patty Lowel gets a sizable entry in the codex is baffeling. Like I'm supposed to read this book and get "Ok Lucia's going to stay on her deserted Island with her mom, and when Dante goes missing she just doesn't give a ****? This is technically the first book to be heavily intertwined with the Prologue of the game, unlike past books being one off stories that just happen to lead into the game.

And the DMC1 novel is heavily referenced in codex in 5, Bobby Cellar, Nell's "mysterious death, her house burning down. It pretty much summarizes the whole book with the game hamfisting the Tony Redgrave backstory. The only thing not stated is that Vergil is the one that killed her and the game just happens to leave it out. They tip toe around it since most players aren't going to be reading a book from like 2003.

Vergil95

Yeah like I know people like to try and justify how it happened but at the end of the day remaking the DMC1 novel canon in a post DMC3 world doesn't work since they've smooshed the timeline together so concisely that it'd have to conform with so much contradicting lore that it doesn't work. It's hilarious to me since the novel is probably Vergil at his cruelest especially towards Dante, he's evil and the fact that Capcom made it canon and then left it intentionally ambigious in the game so fans aren't "conflicted" is terrible.

Considering that the Before the Nightmare novel is canon and takes place right before the game with Dante getting Balrog, the only thing thats mentioned is Nico commenting on getting the files from Nero (so there is one reference, my mistake) but the fact that info like Lucia,who was once described as having the power to defeat Gods, who played a sizable part in the novel doesn't get any mention in 5 but someone like Patty Lowel gets a sizable entry in the codex is baffeling. Like I'm supposed to read this book and get "Ok Lucia's going to stay on her deserted Island with her mom, and when Dante goes missing she just doesn't give a ****? This is technically the first book to be heavily intertwined with the Prologue of the game, unlike past books being one off stories that just happen to lead into the game.

And the DMC1 novel is heavily referenced in codex in 5, Bobby Cellar, Nell's "mysterious death, her house burning down. It pretty much summarizes the whole book with the game hamfisting the Tony Redgrave backstory. The only thing not stated is that Vergil is the one that killed her and the game just happens to leave it out. They tip toe around it since most players aren't going to be reading a book from like 2003.
Yeah my statement was sarcastic, Capcom want people to buy more things to understand e whole story, more money out of our pocket...

Yeah the book is referenced in dmc 5 but it s partly non Canon since it doesn't fit whit dmc 3... it's like character, situation and places are Canon, but not the whole book...
Something similar happened to the star wars novel, they take character out of novel that are not Canon but make them Canon In TV series

Top Bottom