• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Vergil's true motivations( from a official book called Trinity of Fates)

Gel

When the going gets tough, the tough get going
Premium
D E V I L -M A Y - C R Y - 3 - : - O V E R V I E W
- In "Devil May Cry", Dante defeated the Demon Emperor Mundus. In the process of that battle, he was forced to bury his older brother Vergil (Nelo Angelo). "Devil May Cry 3" depicts earlier days. The Dante appearing in this game is of course younger. The way he plays the guitar, the way he acts like a rockstar, is definitely playing up to an audience - the player.

- What confronts this younger Dante is his brother Vergil. Dante, who wants to continue being human, confronts his brother Vergil, who seeks demonic power. Dante and Vergil cross swords right from the start. This grand sibling rivalry is a beautifully raw expression of irreparable conflict between comrades at antitheses. Also in this story, there is another pair of of foes depicted: Arkham and Lady. Arkham wants to become a god by obtaining the power of Sparda, and to satisfy this ambition he kills his wife, and intends to offer his daughter up as a sacrifice. So Lady kills her father with her own hands. Here once again, a sad case of an unrecoverable rivalry is depicted. A deep-rooted blood feud. This unbearable hatred grows out of love, and even this is a very human feeling. Lady, of course, is proof that Dante and Vergil are also human. Even Arkham, who is so cold that he would sacrifice a blood relative, has desires that are truly human. Even if it's about inheriting the blood of demons, even if it's about seeking the power of demons, "Devil May Cry 3" depicts conflicts between one person and another.
- In the final scene, Vergil alone was left in the demon world. When Vergil sent Dante back to the human world, this was not because he wanted to keep the power of the demon world to himself - rather, it was his wish that Dante continue to live as a human. That's how this should be interpreted. After this, Vergil, alone in the demon world, resolutely challenges Mundus to battle, and the curtain is closed on the story. The result of this battle is made evident in the first game, "Devil May Cry". It ends in Vergil's defeat. And then Vergil is made into Mundus' puppet, and directs his blade at Dante...
- The stage where these clashes of opposite purposes occur is the tower of Temen-ni-gru. We have to explain the reference behind this tower that links the demon world with the human world.
- The root of the name Temen-ni-gru is
E-temen-anki. This refers to the towering temple constructed by the Sumerian people in Mesopotamian culture, and also can be thought of as having the same meaning as the Tower of Babel that appears in Genesis in the Old Testament. E-Temen-Anki/The Tower of Babel is a ziggurat (stair-shaped building) of the kind that is often seen in Mesopotamian culture, and closely resembles Temen-ni-gru as it is depicted in-game.
- And not just in its outward appearance - the role that Temen-ni-gru was to accomplish also recalls the purpose of the Tower of Babel. The Tower of Babel, constructed in the Mesopotamian capital Babylon, was constructed in human arrogance, trying to reach the heavens. This angered god, who gave humans differing languages. As a consequence, confusion ensued, and in order to gather groups that spoke the same language, humans had to scatter all over the world. In Genesis, the name Babel has another meaning attached, that of confusion, and in "Devil May Cry 3" when Arkham unseals Temen-ni-gru he says:

The seal has been undone.
After this, what do you think will happen?
Chaos will come!

- Like the humans who were punished for trying to approach god, he wants to become a god himself. From Arkham's mouth comes the curse of chaos. Temen-ni-gru, which stretches from the human world to the demon world, is the tower that brings forth chaos.

All these human desires have sounded the bell of chaos.
Two thousand years have passed -
The closed door to the demon world has once again been opened.
Temen-ni-gru is the "Foundation of Terror"
Just like its name!
And I will become the ruler of the world of chaos!

- Here there is one more matter we must touch on: Arkham's words, 'All these human desires have sounded the bell of chaos.' At the peak of Temen-ni-gru, which has opened the gates to the demon world, there appear bells that symbolise the 7 deadly sins: Pride (gouman), Envy (****to), Wrath (fundo), Sloth (taida), Greed (gouyoku), Gluttony (boushoku), and Lust (shikiyoku). In Dante Alighieri's "Divine Comedy", the protagonist, having had the mark of the deadly sins carved into him 7 times at the gates of purgatory, makes his way around the mountain of purgatory to erase his sins. In "Devil May Cry 3", Arkham has the marks of the sins, and Dante, having plunged into the demon world (purgatory), erases the sins of Arkham (the human).

Mark as Offensive

5:15am, kiera2 posted:

D E V I L -M A Y - C R Y - 3 - : - C O L U M N

This article alternatively uses both the Japanese word meaning shadow (kage) and a phonetic spelling of the English word (shadow) in Japanese characters. For anyone who cares about the distinction, I used a capital S for the latter case, and a lower case s when the Japanese word was used.

The shadow, always hiding in your inner consciousness
- In dreams, characters whose actions are completely different, things we could never do ourselves, appear. Often they make our dreaming self nervous. They can take the faces of friends we know well, and there are also times when we wonder why we cannot remember their faces. According to the 6 dream archetypes classified by
Jung, this is called the Shadow. Things such as the environment a person is born and grows up in, and their own true nature, shape its character. No matter how kind or sympathetic to other people our character grows to be, the cold-hearted, cruel, and selfish parts will never disappear. They will live on quietly in our unconscious. That which we would call our hidden character, is the Shadow.
- Couldn't we think of Dante and Vergil from "Devil May Cry 3" as each existing as the other's Shadow? In the scene with the final confrontation over the amulets, Dante says to Vergil, who hopes to gain father's mighty power:

If we are the sons of Sparda,
what we are successors to isn't his power!
More importantly - it's his proud soul!

- Vergil's answer in response to this is:

Sorry, but this is what my soul is saying - more power!

- Also, supplementing Vergil's lines, earlier before this battle, he says:

Power controls everything.
Without power, one cannot protect anything.

- And in the final scene:

I'm fine here. In this place, father's home.*

- Just like Dante, Vergil wanted to protect Eva, and also you can see his sense of reverence for his father Sparda. This is not merely a picture of polar opposites with Dante = Good and Vergil = Evil. Their love for their parents is the same, but the most important part of their father's legacy is for Dante, his soul, and for Vergil, his power. Sparda and Eva would have treated the brothers equally, but the fact that their mother was killed trying to protect her children was a turning point for the twins, and it seems that after that their lives were divided. The shadows come from one source. There are two shadows growing from the feet of the "Sons of Sparda," one is the "soul," Dante, and the other is the "power," Vergil. As the years passed these shadows grew larger, to the point where one can't help but be conscious of them. They are twins, they are one another's other-self, which is to say they should have to seek each other out, but they irritate and are incompatible. Their ways of life and their ways of fighting have both come to parallel their respective intentions.
- The battle where Dante and Vergil place themselves on opposite sides is a battle with one's other self. Dante and Vergil are each other's shadows, and at the same time each other's light. The relationship between Dante and Vergil is such that each of their selves are formed due to the other's existence.

* The word Vergil uses for father is oyaji which isn't actually as stuffy/formal as father sounds in English. But it sounded too weird to make Vergil say dad

Mark as Offensive

5:18am, kiera2 posted:

D E V I L -M A Y - C R Y - 3 - C A S T - : - V E R G I L
-
Dante's older twin brother. In contrast to Dante, he is the type who dislikes a commotion. He seeks power as a demon successor to Sparda, and plots to open the gate to the demon world with Arkham. However, Vergil is also a successor to Sparda's bloodline. Certainly, it is not the case that he desires demonic power in order to invade* the human world - his desire for power comes from a genuine feeling of wanting to become stronger. As a result he is used by Arkham, and he alone falls into the demon world, where he challenges Mundus to battle, but is defeated.

* Invade, raid, or show agression towards. That is to say, Vergil has no aggressive intentions towards the human world.

Last edited:

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
So I was right...Vergil's just selfish.

"When Vergil sent Dante back to the human world, this was not because he wanted to keep the power of the demon world to himself - rather, it was his wish that Dante continue to live as a human."

Yes Vergil's is selfish.

Also I checked this book is in fact real....came out during DMC3's 5th anniversary (2006). I think its a DVD Film Book....kind of unfair that Japan only gets these.

berto

I Saw the Devil
....kind of unfair that Japan only gets these.
It is extremely unfair that only Japan gets these. At first I thought that DMC was just not popular enough to sell merchandise in the west but after a few years of seeing what people have bought and how big a fan base it's got I just don't get it.

How did you arrive to that conclusion?

Gel

Premium
I have not reasons to use faked facts to back up whatever I think or I do ( a lot of people do it already).I always found strange how I had access to some facts and other fans didn't.
Those Official Books and those novels people discuss so much about their legitimity give precious data and details about characters.In these characters personalities details , these books never contradict each other.
That why i've said before while DMC Dante and NT Dante are into what is called Hero Archetype, great part of their personalities are different or even the opposite.

Still about the book above: this book tells us, against what was believed, that was Arkham and not his wife, who was descendent of that special priestess, giving few hints about his heterochromia not being a human defect, but consequence of his demonics rituals or the sacred blood of that woman.So, or Mary is not as human as she's told to be or a special human with "holy" blood on her veins.

At the time of this book edition, there was plans to make a Spin-off with Lady as main character .For that reason they avoid to give us some much details about her: it was to be explored in-game.But for unknow reasons Capcom gave up and now Lady is seen as a simple or even irrelevant human.

Sunaka Marién

And I always thought Trinity of Fates wouldn't hold anything interesting. How far of the truth I've been!
But then again, I couldn't have read it anyway, as it was only written in Japanese :/ Capcom sure know how to hide important stuff.
I always found strange how I had access to some facts and other fans didn't.
And I am greateful that you share those facts with us :3 I guess the reason many don't know is that they either can't read it due to being in Japanese, or, in the case of the novels, might not have been released in their country making it difficult to get for them :<
It is extremely unfair that only Japan gets these. At first I thought that DMC was just not popular enough to sell merchandise in the west but after a few years of seeing what people have bought and how big a fan base it's got I just don't get it.
It's even more weird considering that some of these things alredy are bilingual, at least the DMC3 sound DVD book and the DmC Dense Material collection are. Speaking of DmC, it's also quite weird how so many things (enemy files, etc.) only exist in Japanese as well as merchandise is (almost) only being released in Japan, despite that being the country where the game apperently sold worst :/

Gel

Premium
The greatest irony about DmC is it was made to appeal to the west, why they only put the important information or even just the fun facts in Japanese is beyond me. Maybe chauvinism?

Following all this books, they tell you, per example, how calm and thoughtful DMC Dante was, how that " party guy" was only a facade.How he loved the people who surrounded him, even if he showed his appreciation acting like an a**hole. Party, crazy , womanizing guy was more fan imagination than facts.Most of the time he was alone, bitter and concentrated in his true motive of living: revenge.He had so many layers in his personality like an onion. He was beautifuly made, but since that material rarely came to West, alot of this was lost.

Capcom never touched Lady's ancestry again and how it could make her special or not.Having a red eye is not particulary normal, but they never care to explain that or why she could hold herself against Trish in anime, even if Trish is even more powerful than Dante and became annoyed by Lady's persistence.Trish was never explained either.

Oh well...

VineBigBoss

GGXRD <3
My take was very close to that on Vergil's motivations (no joke intended, haha), there is no other reason for him to have said that line about protection for Dante, i think that Vergil was twisted with the idea he could have protected his mother if he were as stronger as his father was or is told to be.

I've studied one thing or other about some asian religions and readed a lot about Taoism, what gave me motivation (again) to study it was a game from Capcom named Breath of Fire IV. Most of the philosophical references within the asian culture in general comes from very similar roots that of Taoism had in China, it's very similar to zen-buddhism, they often talks about dichotomies and opposite things that forms one "entire", complete" and "balanced" thing. This dualism is very common in the way they see the world, in Breath of Fire IV there was a clear reference to things like this with Fou-Lu and Ryu: they are the "same person" (they are two parts of the same god summoned in different eras) but are nearly completely different, and if you pay attention to their dragon forms Ryu lacks an water element based form and Fou-Lu lacks one fire element based form even having the others (earth and wind). This can be seen in DMC too, the symbolism with Sparda's "favourite" color and the favourite colors of the twins forming purple is one of another clear references to this cultural and somewhat religious factor.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
Vergil's just a selfish douchebag with a superiority complex and a hard on for swords. Not hard to figure out. Vergil in 3 is so lame. I honestly don't see the appeal. He wears a stupid outfit and he's so one dimensional and boring. He's a pretty crappy villain that really couldn't fill a more generic spot in the cast.

berto

I Saw the Devil
I miss how they put some thought in to characters like they did here. While it just seems simplistic at first glance it turns out that the creators put alot of thought behind the composition of the story, so much as to having both family conflicts mirror and even putting Jungian values to the characters; To not over simplifying them with simple good or evil motivations but rather a mixture of both and an emotional bond that's more complex than your standard action title.

I'm going to miss that...

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
tumblr_inline_mfp6baJ4CB1qgxctf.gif

Edit:

Vergil's just a selfish douchebag with a superiority complex and a hard on for swords. Not hard to figure out. Vergil in 3 is so lame. I honestly don't see the appeal. He wears a stupid outfit and he's so one dimensional and boring. He's a pretty crappy villain that really couldn't fill a more generic spot in the cast.
That's the very reason as to why wome -- I mean, people of either gender -- lov -- er, like and... unfortunately... respect him. Dat bad boy appeal.

I personally admit to liking his... style (dress, form of martial arts and weapon use etc.) but that's all. I do not any way shape or form, desire to be like Vergil. At all.

Gel

Premium
Funny they had used Carl Jung theory in this book to describe Dante/Vergil relationship.What you see in-game is more Freudian than Jungian.
Vergil wants power to surpassed his father because of his mother( this is partialy true, since it seems he has more reasons for this *cough* Nero*cough), but Vergil still loves his Dad and his mom.
Dante fits Freudian ideals: even people say he doesn't hate his father, everything he doesn seems to confirms this.He refuses to acknowledge his existence( saying he knows nothing about him);everytime some appears to him or confronts him, he immediately put the guilt on his Dad( askind what Sparda has done to them).In DMC1's end Dante seems to respect Sparda, but them again he shows despise him in later works.
In mother's side of things, Dante situation is worse than Vergil: he follows a woman with blinking after that same woman trying to kill him just because she has his mother's exact face. At Nightmare's mission he fights his fears (that's the reason he atacked by Trish at same time).He wins this battle or this "therapy", if you want, but in the end of the day , nothing changes.
Dante is the winner in this Freudian charade: he surpasses his father and he got his " mother", so his neuroses are still unsolved.This might be well the main reason why Dante seems awkward with female sex: people with this problem are unable to relate to anyone sexually unless that person reminds subconsciously the parent he is obsessed.I was trolling in other thread about it , but the idea f Dante had lost his virginity to his "mother's clone" and her being, in fact, the only woman he ever had intercouse with is quite possible.
In Umvsc 3 we found out Vergil despise Trish because she's a demon created by the being who killed the woman who posed as her original.This is what a relatively healthy man would do, not what you saw in DMC1.Now imagine yourself in front of your brother twin,(same one who said to you in the past you shouldn't open Demon's gate since their mother was killed by demons), side by side with demon who is no more no less than a clone of the mother in question, how do you would feel?

Sorry for the long post...:p

LysseC

Philosopher and fangirl. Worst. Combination. Ever.
Why does everyone keep saying 'selfish'? Where in that is the selfishness?
Yeah, I don't understand either....:ermm:

The part in qhich it is said that

In the final scene, Vergil alone was left in the demon world. When Vergil sent Dante back to the human world, this was not because he wanted to keep the power of the demon world to himself - rather, it was his wish that Dante continue to live as a human.
well, this seems to be exactly the negation of a selfish motive, on the contrary, maybe even an altruistic one...

As for him interpreting Sparda's legacy as "power", again, it's not selfishness, just a different way to understand his father's legacy.

So yeah, I don't get where this talk about him being selfish comes.:ermm:

rocketvergil

Vergil's apprentice, the successor to yamato
Capcom tried to make vergil a character with a sad past. They tried to make him the villain with some good intentions or a good reason for his actions. However, judging from the attitude of most people towards him, I'm guessing they didnt do a good job.

I always thought and still do believe that vergil is actually a good guy consumed by the grief of his losses. ( most probably he lost his wife too, before DMC3. the wife was nero's mother and her death drove vergil to the edge. He abandoned Nero for his own safety and proceeded to gain sparda's power so that he can atleast protect his son. this is just a theory)

Reactions: Gel

D-Sparda

Nothing is true, everything is permitted
Capcom tried to make vergil a character with a sad past. They tried to make him the villain with some good intentions or a good reason for his actions. However, judging from the attitude of most people towards him, I'm guessing they didnt do a good job.

I always thought and still do believe that vergil is actually a good guy consumed by the grief of his losses. ( most probably he lost his wife too, before DMC3. the wife was nero's mother and her death drove vergil to the edge. He abandoned Nero for his own safety and proceeded to gain sparda's power so that he can atleast protect his son. this is just a theory)
How did you came to the conclusion that the eldest son of Sparda had a wife?

Gel

Premium
Let me guess: if Vergil is the Dante's shadow or his opposite, Vergil probably was married to a tender and devout woman who he loved very much and faithfully, maybe a comfortable life with some money, maybe servants, he was a good father...etc... This fits him well.

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
To clarrify, Vergil was selfish because even though he wanted Dante to live...he still put millions of lives at risk, stabbed his own brother regardless if he'd live or not, and destroyed the morals his father set for the family's bloodline...for power?

That's pretty selfish in itself.

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
To clarrify, Vergil was selfish because even though he wanted Dante to live...he still put millions of lives at risk, stabbed his own brother regardless if he'd live or not, and destroyed the morals his father set for the family's bloodline...for power?

That's pretty selfish in itself.

Lets not confuse selfishness with blind arrogance.

selfish-devoted to or caring only for oneself; concerned primarily with one's own interests, benefits, welfare, etc., regardless of others.

Sanctus basically did the same thing (well not entirely)for power with the intent to create world peace was that technically being selfish, well he might have been more evil (kill his own loyal minion, fool/deceive his followers, unleash demons upon a peaceful city to prove a point, and even used an innocent girl as a guinea pig even a shield on multiple occasions).

Vergil disregarded his humanity, so he doesn't care much about what happens to a bunch of random humans. If anything he only cares about his family and no one else....although he was very merciful to Lady but lets not forget that scene in the DMC3 manga where Vergil killed a bunch of street punks (humans) for ****ing him off. Human, demon, angel you're all scum to Vergil. He if anything bases people (humans, demons, etc) on character or is rather chivalrous (he can kill a bunch of dudes who gets on his nerves but not a woman who is attacking him).

Vergil wasn't really being selfish but only following what he thought was right (it was even implied in his last fight with Dante in DMC3 that his soul (his Sparda) would want this). I'm sure Vergil was full aware of the consequences of his actions but thought with Spardas ultimate power he can protect all those he cherished (Dante, Nero, etc).

Plus I find it odd that Vergil stabbed Dante with Dante's sword and that awakened his DT. Considering that Vergil unlocked his DT first he should know the requirements to unlock one's DT. Plus him fighting and trying to kill Dante seems to mostly be an act to not show his affection for Dante. Plus Dante was in his way or an obstacle in his path and Vergil is a man who finishes what he starts or completes his goal.

Top Bottom