• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Vergil's Downfall? Was it necessary?

Vergil's DLC, a downfall after all?

• Total voters

Tmfaria

Member of the Order
Hey Guys.

So just thought I'd start a thread on the DLC. What did you guys think of Vergil's Downfall? Did you think it was a good addition to the new DmC story? Was it worth the buy? Spill your thoughts.

Personally, I didn't really enjoy it as much :( Didn't think it was worth the $6.99 I payed for it. Thought the cutscenes were really cheap looking and the fundamentals of the game weren't unique by any means. I don't mean to be a debbie-downer, but that's just my opinion.

Prepare to incur the wrath of all the female Vergil fans! Just kidding.

I personally thought it was one of the best dlc's I've ever bought, Vergil is helluva lot of fun to play with, and its kinda sad, he doesn't have a full bloody palace mode yet. The teleporting abilities + doppelganger leaves a lot of room for combo potential and its really fun to experiment with those skills.

Tmfaria

Member of the Order
Prepare to incur the wrath of all the female Vergil fans! Just kidding.

I personally thought it was one of the best dlc's I've ever bought, Vergil is helluva lot of fun to play with, and its kinda sad, he doesn't have a full bloody palace mode yet. The teleporting abilities + doppelganger leaves a lot of room for combo potential and its really fun to experiment with.

Ahhh, I can hear the clasping of metal swords coming my way haha.

The sad part is that I'm a Vergil fan as well, and the DLC just made me sad, sadder than usual :(

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
I liked it. The DLC really expanded Vergil's character in a way that the game couldn't because that was Dante's story.I felt sorry for him in a way as the DLC revealed his insecurities and showed how messed up he was under his calm surface. In a way, Downfall did what DMC3 couldn't do for me and made Vergil a deeper character with reasons for wanting power.

Sure, I wish there had been mocap cutscenes, but that's a minor complaint.

I also thought the combat was better in some ways compaired to the main game....even if sometimes Vergil flew off a ledge due to his glide ability being a bit unpredictable>_<

Bazilican

Beer and big tits all around! XD
I felt it a bit entertaining. I actually felt some feeling and character from this Vergil then the power hungry selfish sociopaths Vergil from DMC3 who cuts harmless women and thugs in half cause he can.

However the DLC seemed... unneeded. I feel as though it was just for gamers to play as Vergil so that NT wasn't called lazy for doing the exact same thing DMC3 did with Vergil by putting him in all of Dante's missions.

LysseC

Philosopher and fangirl. Worst. Combination. Ever.
Ahhh, I can hear the clasping of metal swords coming my way haha.

The sad part is that I'm a Vergil fan as well, and the DLC just made me sad, sadder than usual :(
Yeah, be prepared for battle!! I'm just the vanguard and I'm coming to get youuuuuu!!!! ;)

Ok, no, really. I totally share your disappointment for the cutscenes, I too hated that comic-like style... :/
As always, I'll skip the part about gameplay, since I don't know much about this...
But there is one thing that made me love VD after all, and that is the way Vergil's thoughts were analyzed, and how this gave us a lot of insight about him. I was really caught by how they showed his... well, downfall. I truly loved the script, and so in general I have to say that, to me, it was not a letdown at all. But yes, the style of those cutscenes.... Bleh.

Edit:
and yeah, now that you made me remember it, the lack of at least a Hollow Dante fight was really something that should have been there. Seeing Vergil defeat him simply in a cutscene was terribly anti-climatic.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
I felt it a bit entertaining. I actually felt some feeling and character from this Vergil then the power hungry selfish sociopaths Vergil from DMC3 who cuts harmless women and thugs in half cause he can.

However the DLC seemed... unneeded. I feel as though it was just for gamers to play as Vergil so that NT wasn't called lazy for doing the exact same thing DMC3 did with Vergil by putting him in all of Dante's missions.
Or copy and pasting half the game again to artificially lengthen it instead of actually working on it.

DLC still pretty much sucks as an entire concept but that's really the publisher's doing.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
Vergil's Downfall was only what, $7?

I think it's a pretty good add on. They fixed some of the issues with DmC with Vergil's Downfall. The kinks on the dodges were worked out as well as actually replacing one with a new attack because 2 dodge buttons were an ehhh.

They also got rid of the color coded enemies and thank you for that NT. Playing as Vergil is also distinctly a bit different from Dante and I appreciate that variety.

While I still personally have a thing against DLC in general it's just something we'll sometimes have to learn to deal with. I didn't buy it so I'm cool. At least NT put some effort in to making a new experience and also supported the game post release. They listened to the critical feedback and I saw responses.

It's still just a DLC so I can forgive the iffy cutscenes. I can't expect too much from it. But it at least delivered on that $7 unlike other DLCs out there. >_>

REAPER 3142

Revenge Solves Everything..............
I personally don't mind DLC as long as the game istself is long and satisfying enough. I Loved Vergil's Downfall. Made Vergil seem much more of a real character with a reason for how he is. He plays much different than Dante, but in a good way.

Sieghart

"Plough the lilies"
I didn't care much for the story but the gameplay....oh my god the gameplay made it worth it. Still playing it as of today than the original campaign.

Radicus

While it wasn't perfect by any means, (felt a little let down by the combat flow...a little, it was just...weird compared to Dante's flow, switching back and forth between Bloody Palace and VD felt, awkward. But, I guess that was the point,eh?) I think its main purpose was to set up Vergil to become the power hungry sociopath we all know and love\hate. And who doesn't love sequel-baiting! (Which I would be 100% cool with, DmC sets up the story but it doesn't get to the part where it can convince you that its going to turn into some LIKE the original DMC. You can see hints of it, but not the final effect.)
Oh yes, and I too was let down that you couldn't fight Dante, that would've been interesting.
Still, kills me to know that 10 years ago VD would've been an unlockable side story after beating Dante Must Die mode...or something equivalent, but hey, DLC ARE FOR ALL THE COOL KIDS WITH MONEY THESE DAYS!

Steve

Fearfully and wonderfully made
Admin
Loved it! Well, for the most part. Loved Vergil's skills and moveset, but the story mode seemed hurriedly cobbled together and bargain basement-y, given the fact that it was uncomfortably short and didn't really attempt anything extravagant. No 'Dark Dante' boss fight? Really? Given the context of the story, I was genuinely surprised to not be battling 'dark' variations of Dante and Kat.

I also found it extremely disappointing to find that Vergil wasn't granted access to his own variant of the Bloody Palace.

EvilX-81

I got mine through pre-ordering, and I thought it was a good deal. I think it was worth it for Vergil's gameplay, which I think proves that they can make challenging gameplay, where perhaps the DMC vets may feel that Dante plays a little too easy. But those of that opinion that might be interested in VD, would have to buy the game AND the DLC, whihc of course nobody in their right mind would do just for DLC, so in my opinion, the DLC should've been on the disc or completely playable apart from the need to have the main game.

But not being in bloody palace was a huge misstep, possibly the biggest one of the entire product, since you only have those 6 levels to explore his gameplay in. Any word on how the Vergil bloody palace mod is coming?

Alittleacorn

Smile it confuses people
While it wasn't perfect by any means, (felt a little let down by the combat flow...a little, it was just...weird compared to Dante's flow, switching back and forth between Bloody Palace and VD felt, awkward. But, I guess that was the point,eh?) I think its main purpose was to set up Vergil to become the power hungry sociopath we all know and love\hate. And who doesn't love sequel-baiting! (Which I would be 100% cool with, DmC sets up the story but it doesn't get to the part where it can convince you that its going to turn into some LIKE the original DMC. You can see hints of it, but not the final effect.)
Oh yes, and I too was let down that you couldn't fight Dante, that would've been interesting.
Still, kills me to know that 10 years ago VD would've been an unlockable side story after beating Dante Must Die mode...or something equivalent, but hey, DLC ARE FOR ALL THE COOL KIDS WITH MONEY THESE DAYS!
I got the hint there was a bit of Nelo Angelo there too. But it's definitely setting up Vergil becoming Vergil, like how DmC was Dante becoming Dante. It still would've been cool to kick Dante's ass though XD

I didnt mind Vergil as a DLC. In fact I don't mind DLC's that come out a month or so after the game or even 6 months. But what I don't like are DLC's that come out on the day of a game's release or keep things like abilities you could've used in the game anyway, or you have to pay for a each boss battle in an arena that should've really been a side mission, or buying a downloadable tomb when there are tombs in the game anyway? FFXIII-2 and the new Tomb Raider had some bad examples of this. Even Raccoon City kept HALF of a game from you.

So I have nothing against DLC's most times, but there has to be a fine line not to use it as a money grabber or where it feels unneeded. @_@ they should be what i thought of when i first heard of them. Additional material that isn't yet finished before the game's release or is made later after the game is out.

BLACKSWIPE

"Waiting for one's arrival."
I enjoyed it. Although it may have been made a little cheaply in terms of cutscenes, I really feel that it helped to establish the character of Vergil; as a man who has lost everything so that he may gain everything. I fought it rather sick and slick when he defeated himself and became basically a demon-lord, forced the other demons into submission and they bowed to him. Even though he just played a part in destroying their beloved king, Mundus, AND is the son of the traitor Sprada.

I still play it today along with the campaign and have quite a bit of fun with it. I think it was pretty worth it.

I enjoyed it. Although it may have been made a little cheaply in terms of cutscenes, I really feel that it helped to establish the character of Vergil; as a man who has lost everything so that he may gain everything. I fought it rather sick and slick when he defeated himself and became basically a demon-lord, forced the other demons into submission and they bowed to him. Even though he just played a part in destroying their beloved king, Mundus, AND is the son of the traitor Sprada.

I still play it today along with the campaign and have quite a bit of fun with it. I think it was pretty worth it.

I guess I should also add that compared to most DLC's, which are disappointing because they are horrible money grabs that don't enrich the original games in anyway, this was disappointing because it had real potential and would have really been a huge addition to the main game if they had given it a larger budget.

It was so well developed in the gameplay for Vergil that it felt like a huge wasted opportunity to only have so few missions to play with him in. They really should think about doing a real expansion ($20-$30) with Vergil with totally new art assets and missions (+bloody palace +turbo mode) like the main game. I, and I believe many others, would gladly fork over the cash for it.

Top Bottom