• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Vergil's Downfall questions

Blade8513

So after not playing DmC and Vergil's Downfall for like 2 years, and purchasing the DE recently, I finished my VD play through today and have a few questions.

1. Where does all this take place? "Eva" stated Vergil was dead, so was that an afterlife, purgatory, regular limbo or what? I don't believe it was ever stated where exactly these things take place.

2. Who/what were the things Vergil encountered? I am talking about the white Kat and Dante he encountered, what were those? I assume those were not the real versions of those characters? Yet when Vergil was talking to "Eva" he said he killed Dante, so Vergil certainly seemed to believe they were the real deal, which kind of confuses me.

3. Eva. Was that actually her? I want to say it was but then comes the question why did she tell Vergil not to leave her, the Imprisoner was gone, couldn't she just walk up the same stairs Vergil came down in to begin with? Or is she bound to that place for some reason?

4. Where did Hollow Vergil come from and what was/is he exactly? And was it always a part of Vergil but for some reason became separated when he "died" ? And was absorbing him what kind of sent him over the edge/made him completely evil?

5. I know that he became pretty much straight up evil by the end, but I still wonder, what on earth will he do now? Will he just become Mundus 2.0? Or is he just going to be set on revenge because Dante "betrayed" him? I know this one is an opinion based question but im really as curious to what some of you think his new goal(s) will be.

Anyway sorry for the long post and I realize some of these question may not have official answers yet but I am curious as to what some of you think :)

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
It's all basically a very meta physical journey. He's cutting away all emotional ties for the sake of power. Each person he encounters represents a part of himself he "kills" and leaves behind.

As for what happens at the end, he's now a Demon King. I assume he will go back to claim his throne and definitely give Dante another round. The build up here is cool, it would be nice to get a sequel.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
1. Game doesn't tell, as far as I remember, but Vergil opens a portal with Yamato after he gets his ass whooped by Dante, so maybe that's the place he went through that portal. I'm assuming it's Hell, since Eva's voice said he died.

2. They are representations of his most important ties: Dante and Kat (I don't know exactly why Kat, since he showed not to care THAT much about her, but I guess she still meant something for him). Ties that had to be cut cause they are "weaknesses".

3. Assuming the place is actually Hell, or wherever people go after death, yeah, that was probably Eva. Why she didn't escape? Well, to go where? That's the afterworld anyway so it doesn't matter where she goes, it's still Hell.

4. Hollow Vergil is the embodiment of Vergil's most manipulative and evil side which emerged after Dante's"betrayal".

5. Yeah, probably Mundus 2.0. He expressed his will to rule the world after all. However, revenge against Dante is most likely a goal as well.

absolitude

the devil is not as black as he painted
1. vergil leaves with shame, ended up on the paradise (mom's n dad's mansion)
2. fainted or dead
3. going on some metaphysical journey as chancey said or going thru the underworld, or maybe both, the underworld represents one's state of mind
4. he's mental state was seriously disturbed, "i loved you brother" was his last word to dante, i guess in his mind, he was doing something that won't be judged as evil, but he was wrong.. i believe that in the main game he really did not meant evil, he just wants to set things right, and he did say he will respect his subject, tho it doesn't sound nice really, with the subcjet thing
5. he struggles within the journey, very much emotionally hurt, his mind is corrupted, cutting all emotional attachment that supposedly making him weak, and the manifestation of eva was possibly because it was something that weakens him most, and maybe another concious within gotten stronger during the journey, posesses and gains full control of vergil..
6. finishes the journey, returns to his bodily state and attains new power..

that's what i think..

absolitude

the devil is not as black as he painted
Ohhh I see. LOLOLOL my bad I misunderstood I forgot the mansion was called Paradise.

lol, no prob, should've said better.. anyway i was going to say vergil ended up in a cemetery something after he teleported, cuz it sure looked like it, but then i remembered in the VD's game, the stages were basically in and around the "paradise"

Wajpa

Also Viper339 on Twitch!
1. I always assumed it was Vergil's personal hell in his imagination since he falls down he is in Paradise and after falling he appears in the daemonic version of it.

2. I'm pretty sure that the devs have confirmed that they represent parts of Vergil's psyche. I assume since Vergil absorbs some of them into him when he kills them, they represent some characteristics of Vergil. Hollowed Kat could represent his trust into others, Dante could be his need for vengeance or something similar. Hollowed Vergil probably represents his selfish side which constantly seeks more power since Vergil absorbs his hollowed self into him.

3. Assuming my theory that the DLC is going in Vergil's imagination, I'd say that he knew the fate of his mother and that he starts blaming his parents for favoring Dante causes her to appear in his personal hell.

4. I think he is a darker part of Vergil's soul since he influences Vergil with the thoughts of his mother favoring her other son and tells him to sever his ties with family and friends.

5. I think upon killing the hollowed Vergil, Dante, Kat and showing his mother that he killed his brother, he looses his humanity and the daemons recognize him as one of them which is why they don't attack him. He's probably going to try to become the Daemon King (if a sequel comes, make it only about Vergil trying to take the throne please) and then he'll try taking revenge on Dante and then ruling both humanity and the daemons.

Blade8513

Thanks for all the replies guys/girls, some really good stuff here, loved reading all your posts, very interesting stuff :)

As for where Eva would go @Foxtrot94 I have no damn clue lol but I just found it odd that while Vergil was walking away she told him not to leave her, as if she wanted to get out of the place but couldn't for some reason.

As for the person who said make the next DmC game about Vergil trying to take the throne...f*** yes! Lol Vergil's Downfall wasn't long enough, and I don't mean that in a bad way but by the time I got to the end (Which wasn't long) I was left wanting more, a lot more.

Last edited:
Top Bottom