• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

So I worked on DmC...

Status
Not open for further replies.

D0NN1E

Developer
Hey guys,

I had a few people contact me via email and youtube, maybe because they saw my photo with the DmC logo at the back, so I thought I would post here for people who have questions. First of all, I would like to say that I am no longer with Ninja Theory and I won't be sharing any corporate or confidential information.

I have been secretly coming to this website for the past few years to read what you have to say about the franchise, old and new games. I always respected everyone's opinion and learnt a lot about the fanbase through these forums, which was my intention.

I guess the reason I'm here is to share my experience in building DmC with all of you, as opposed to answering a couple of individual requests. As long as your questions focus on the game making process itself and not the companies and confidential stuff. I also wrote and directed the Vergil DLC, so feel free to ask about that too!

I'll answer all constructive posts and ignore anything that's offensive (I get it why this would be tempting, lol, but I read many posts like that already, plus I don't think you can learn anything new from that).

Oh and thanks for your interest in the game and for your passion. I'm also a DMC fan. =)

Cheers,
Rogerio

PS: if you want to know what I did in DmC just google "Rogerio Silva DmC" and check my linkedin profile.

seraphmaycry

no confidential info? dang.

okay...

i assume you didn't work on DMC with capcom so there goes alot of questions.

okay, what messages andor smbolism was missed or misunderstood?

well at least not the open to interpretation symbolism.

what other stories and or media was used to inspire the game's story and characters? (other then that movie, "they walk among us" or something)

same question for art designs.

was there any inspiration and ideas from the divine comedy/Dante's inferno like DMC did?

what was the sort of mood the capcom supervisors or whatever they are officially called, the guys who said they would make sure the game didn't go too far off, and also what did they change? in continuation, did it really take a year to get a design for Dante that capcom liked?

Kat, any particular inspiration for her character?

anyone in specific that Lilith represented in DmC?

will you hang around much? having somebody properly involved in the story will clear things up.

what does eva represent in the dlc?

do you think the death threats were blown out of proportion? i mean it is pretty terrible, but i saw the song which isn't very good and not particularly threatening, ending with a phrase like "emo must die" or something and i remember the comic, which i think did have somebody murdering taneem.

do you think perhaps part of DmC comes off as pretentious? everyone knows soft drink is bad, yet only the harm seemed to be addressed, the willing self destruction of all the consumers was left alone.

was dmc inspired by any particular satire?

what exactly is going on with Dante and his devil arms? i'm ready to write a terrible fanfiction explaining things incredibly poorly for a joke if nobody will come up with an official idea.

Sunaka Marién

=_= Hmm, so you really are someone who worked on the game? That... actually seems too good to be true, but I guess sometimes miracles do happen, so... Questions tiiiiiime!

If it's an ok question to ask, what was it like for you to work on the game, since you're a fan of the franchise yourself?

Something that was speculated a lot was that the fan-reaction to the first trailer possibly changed the outcome of the game's story and Dante's characterization. So, does the game we got represent Ninja Theory's initial ideas or was something changed due to the fans?

In the subtitle-files of the game there is a lot of unused dialogue to be found. Could you enlighten us as to why some of it was left out?

Since you worked on the story of Vergil's Downfall, I was wondering if you could maybe clear up as to where the story takes place - is it all in Vergil's head or did he really die and it takes place in hell? Or would you say it's up to everyone's own interpretation?

On your LinkedIn page you mentioned that you guys only had a verly limited time frame to create Vergil's Downfall, so how long exactly did it take to create the DLC?

What about your work on DmC did you enjoy the most?

I... hope these are ok to ask (>.>); And thanks a lot.

Last edited:

D0NN1E

Developer
I think someone can check that my email matches the one on my linkedin? :)

Anyway, first questions...

>i assume you didn't work on DMC with capcom so there goes alot of questions.
I worked on DmC only and did work with some people at Capcom on occasion, like Itsunosan, Director on previous DMC's. The best designer I've ever worked with, btw.

>okay, what messages andor smbolism was missed or misunderstood?
This question is too broad. :) Regarding he main game, the story was very much developed when I came on board after I finished with Enslaved, so.I can't really talk about that. Regarding Vergil's Downfall, many people nailed the interpretation of that, even though it's very abstract in nature.

what other stories and or media was used to inspire the game's story and characters? (other then that movie, "they walk among us" or something)
>Vergil's Downfall was mainly inspired by the events of DMC 3, especially what happens after Dante defeats Vergil in the Underworld.

>same question for art designs.
I'm a designer primarily, so I'll do my best.

>was there any inspiration and ideas from the divine comedy/Dante's inferno like DMC did?
Main game? Not sure. I definitely read and researched it for Vergil's Downfall.

>what was the sort of mood the capcom supervisors or whatever they are officially called, the guys who said they would make sure the game didn't go too far off, and also what did they change? in continuation, did it really take a year to get a design for Dante that capcom liked?
More than a year, really. Until the final stages of development, Dante was constantly tweaked and refined.

>Kat, any particular inspiration for her character?
Not as far as I know. I think she was meant to be a moral compass for Dante, who was pretty much someone who didn't have that at the start of the game.

>anyone in specific that Lilith represented in DmC?
Not sure what you mean. Is she inspired on a DMC character? I don't think so.

>will you hang around much? having somebody properly involved in the story will clear things up.
As much as. I can.

>For many, Eva is simply Vergil's angelic side. I thought that was too simplistic. This woman carried Vergil in her womb, their connection is far deeper than that. She is his origin, and by killing that link, Vergil is essentially being reborn. Reborn his own way and in control of his fate.

>do you think the death threats were blown out of proportion? i mean it is pretty terrible, but i saw the song which isn't very good and not particularly threatening, ending with a phrase like "emo must die" or something and i remember the comic, which i think did have somebody murdering taneem.
Definitely blown out of proportion. :) I never felt threatened or that my life was in danger.

>do you think perhaps part of DmC comes off as pretentious? everyone knows soft drink is bad, yet only the harm seemed to be addressed, the willing self destruction of all the consumers was left alone.
Not sure pretentious is the word, but they lacked depth. A lot of the themes are very superficial, in my opinion. That drink commentary is certainly one of them.

>was dmc inspired by any particular satire?
Not that I'm aware of.

>what exactly is going on with Dante and his devil arms? i'm ready to write a terrible fanfiction explaining things incredibly poorly for a joke if nobody will come up with an official idea.
By devil arms you mean...?

seraphmaycry

you may or may not be familiar with this all, but my reply is in the text boss below, in bold, apologies if you do know, just making sure.

I think someone can check that my email matches the one on my linkedin? :)

Anyway, first questions...

>i assume you didn't work on DMC with capcom so there goes alot of questions.
I worked on DmC only and did work with some people at Capcom on occasion, like Itsunosan, Director on previous DMC's. The best designer I've ever worked with, btw.

okay

>okay, what messages andor smbolism was missed or misunderstood?
This question is too broad. :) Regarding he main game, the story was very much developed when I came on board after I finished with Enslaved, so.I can't really talk about that. Regarding Vergil's Downfall, many people nailed the interpretation of that, even though it's very abstract in nature.

i see.

>Vergil's Downfall was mainly inspired by the events of DMC 3, especially what happens after Dante defeats Vergil in the Underworld.

after that defeat vergil is defeated yet again by mundus and becomes nelo angelo, makes sense for vergil's downfall to be similar.

>same question for art designs.
I'm a designer primarily, so I'll do my best.

>was there any inspiration and ideas from the divine comedy/Dante's inferno like DMC did?
Main game? Not sure. I definitely read and researched it for Vergil's Downfall.

really? can you tell me how it affected everything? reminds me, it helped to create my favorite game series, i really should read it, i got halfway through and then lost the ebook i had it on, although i am discouraged by the olden english i suppose i shall have to learn for reading that cool shakesphere story with the revenge and the people baked into pies stuff, sounds quite unusual, feels good to break the stereotype of shakesphere being some sappy romance write. i also don't like how the divine comedy is an author insert story, stories like that feel off, wrong, incorrectly done, i guess it's because of the laziness involved.

>what was the sort of mood the capcom supervisors or whatever they are officially called, the guys who said they would make sure the game didn't go too far off, and also what did they change? in continuation, did it really take a year to get a design for Dante that capcom liked?
More than a year, really. Until the final stages of development, Dante was constantly tweaked and refined.

well at least it wouldn't have slowed production much, i think, i'm not part of the business so i wouldn't know.

>Kat, any particular inspiration for her character?
Not as far as I know. I think she was meant to be a moral compass for Dante, who was pretty much someone who didn't have that at the start of the game.

i see.

i was meaning was she meant to resemble any particular real world person or stereotype?

>will you hang around much? having somebody properly involved in the story will clear things up.
As much as. I can.

nice.

>For many, Eva is simply Vergil's angelic side. I thought that was too simplistic. This woman carried Vergil in her womb, their connection is far deeper than that. She is his origin, and by killing that link, Vergil is essentially being reborn. Reborn his own way and in control of his fate.

so could it be considered symbolic of someone moving away from his or her parents and doing things out in the world, alone and determined?

>do you think the death threats were blown out of proportion? i mean it is pretty terrible, but i saw the song which isn't very good and not particularly threatening, ending with a phrase like "emo must die" or something and i remember the comic, which i think did have somebody murdering taneem.
Definitely blown out of proportion. :) I never felt threatened or that my life was in danger.

yeah, i thought that it wasn't much of a deal, i even heard the song and saw comic and my reaction was to laugh at whoever created it.

>do you think perhaps part of DmC comes off as pretentious? everyone knows soft drink is bad, yet only the harm seemed to be addressed, the willing self destruction of all the consumers was left alone.
Not sure pretentious is the word, but they lacked depth. A lot of the themes are very superficial, in my opinion. That drink commentary is certainly one of them.

yeah, that's why i don't feel DmC is high grade in its story, not trying to attack you or anyone at ninja theory, but it felt rather generic with only a thin layer of satire, it works, but i can see alot of room for improvement.

>was dmc inspired by any particular satire?
Not that I'm aware of.

shame. if it was i'd gain a new outlook of the story, assuming i got around to reading what it was based off for once.

>what exactly is going on with Dante and his devil arms? i'm ready to write a terrible fanfiction explaining things incredibly poorly for a joke if nobody will come up with an official idea.

sorry, DMC talk, his weapons, his weapons, sorry.

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
  • I found the boss fights to be very interesting visually. Could you describe the process of creating them from initial designs up to the finished fight?
  • Were there any bosses that were hard to design or went through a lot of changes?

• Were character and level designs made alongside the plot ideas, or did the character visual designs come later?

• When it came to casting actors, do you know if it was an open audition, or if specific people were approached to play roles?

• Which levels were most challenging to create? For example thinking up the initial designs to tweaking them for the final product.

• Do you know if there were any scenes or levels that were either missed out entirely or shortened to make it into the final game, and which ones were they?

• Also, what did you enjoy most about creating Vergil's Downfall?
Thank you in advance for answering. :D

Last edited:

Chaos Raiden

Avid Gamer & Reviewer

The Devil Arms refer to Dante's weapons, such as Arbiter and Osiris I believe.

Here are my questions. You don't have to reply if you don't want to:

1) Did you or your team has considered making a full-game package of Vergil instead of DLC?

2) Vergil's Downfall was short of... unique boss fights. Is it possible for you to elaborate on that?

3) Did Capcom contact your team regularly on both main game's and the Vergil's Downfall DLC developments?

4) How long it took your team to develop the DLC?

5) How long did you take to conceptualise Vergil's Downfall on paper or presenting to your bosses?

6) Did you have fun in developing the DLC with your team?

D0NN1E

Developer
Working on DmC was amazing, scary, depressing! Haha! I loved it and I had to pinch myself everyday to make sure I wasn't dreaming. :) Scary because I knew you were watching in detail everything that would come out. Depressing because I wanted to address so many things that didn't get done because there was no time left. I have to add frustrating too, because the direction of the game was at times very restricting of what could be done. We were going for believable and realistic and that meant no magic! I wanted to add some outlandish attacks to poison and the hunter but this all had to be justified within a world that was grounded. I understood we wanted a more grounded DmC, but that was too hard to follow at times. Later in development this was partly ignored, and the result is boss fights like bob barbas that had energy shields, etc.

DmC is a very different game from the initial concept, but I'm not sure it's because of the reactions. When Enslaved started out it was also a different game. Monkey was almost a giant man and Trip was a girl who sat on his shoulder! The final game is very different. Meaning, it's part of the process that games change from first trailer to final product.

Regarding Vergil's Downfall, some of it I like to leave to people, but that one I can clear up. Vergil dies and goes to hell. His mother tells him "You're dead!" right at the start. :)

We had six months to do most of Vergil's Downfall.... Write, develop levels, record actors, test the levels, fix bugs, Etc! Vergil's combat set started slightly earlier and was prototyped during the Vergil boss fight development for the main game. The same designer worked on all Vergil incarnations in the game.

What I liked most was writing the story for Vergil, as he is my favourite DmC character. As a DMC fans this was hard at times to do for many, many reasons, but I also knew that I wanted to change perceptions of the character by going deeper into his soul and thoughts. Hopefully I achieved this.

I was having a hard time posting the previous reply, as it considered spam. Odd! Anyway, gonna try to follow this format from now on. Answers in BOLD.

• I found the boss fights to be very interesting visually. Could you describe the process of creating them from initial designs up to the finished fight?
Bosses started with a visual idea from the concept artist, so visually, I can't say much about his process. When I moved to the project I had to redesign the Poison boss fight and there was a character model already in place. The design had to work with a model that existed, so you can imagined this was very challenging. I used a very boxy version of the model to preview the layout of the arena in 3D and then animated the model with all her basic attacks. It was during this time that the two room idea came about. The fight was going to progress to the second room but this was too ambitious, so the second room was more of a finishing sequence than a fight in itself. As Dante's combat set evolved we continually tweaked the boss fight to fit in with his new abilities, etc. As you can imagine this was very challenging. I think the reason Vergil is the best boss in the game is because he was design when all abilities and weapons we very much final. There's a lot more I can add to this, but from initial prototype, poison was constantly tweaked, adjusted, throughout the entire development.
  • Were there any bosses that were hard to design or went through a lot of changes?
As I mentioned above, Poison was one of those. As I said, I had to redesign that boss fight as soon as I started on the project and constantly update it during development. That boss helped develop the foundation for bosses but also what to avoid in other bosses. For example, the Hunter boss was developed after Poison and we moved away from the fixed position we had in that fight.
  • Were character and level designs made alongside the plot ideas, or did the character visual designs later?
I would say alongside plot ideas.
  • When it came to casting actors, do you know if it was an open audition, or if specific people were approached to play roles?
I don't know.
  • Which levels were most challenging to create? For example thinking up the initial designs to tweaking them for the final product.
I think different people would have different answers for this one, but for me was the Mansion. I had to redesign a fully finished level in just two weeks to what pretty much is the Mansion in the final version. That was very intense and challenging but it came late in the project and I knew what weapons/enemies we were introducing in the level, so that was great!
  • Do you know if there were any scenes or levels that were either missed out entirely or shortened to make it into the final game, and which ones were they?
I'm not aware of levels that were cut, to be honest. We trimmed a few sections but that's always part of the process. Nothing like "right, lets remove this entire level". There was a scene that was left out that linked the trade and the tower mission a bit better but I don't think they made much of a difference in the overall story.

Also, what did you enjoy most about creating Vergil's Downfall?
See my answer above! :)

Thank you in advance fir answering. :D

Oh, just remembered, initially Lilith's boss fight was going to be on a train and I prototyped the fight on a train that moved around Limbo. We scrapped this as it was technically very hard to do: all of Dante's combat was developed with the assumption he would be based on static ground. We tried a static train with moving background but this looked very cheap and unconvincing. This fight was then moved to the club.

Last edited by a moderator:

The Final Offer

It's good to see some involvement and some attention placed here on the forum. It's hard to believe and it's ok with me either way.

I understand there were difficulties from the fanbase. When the game came out, what did you feel? Did you feel unsure, nervous, relieved, etc?

With DmC out, do you feel that people have warmed up to it and that it has a chance of getting a sequel?

I like what was done with Vergil in DmC and I love how his ability to control lesser demons was elaborated on. The question will be a little hard to answer. I noticed Vergil now has the same ability scheme as DMC Vergil and that's awesome. Do you think DmC Vergil can take DMC Vergil? Will he falter? Will it be a stalemate? I'm not taking this as an official thing, I'm interested in your opinion.

I believe I already put the pieces together on my second playthrough and have a fine idea of what will happen next. If there was anything in the game you wanted to change, what would that be?

Do you have any questions for us? I know you said you've been around this place. I thought maybe you'd like to ask us something individually. If anyone tries to give you any Virility, I'll swat 'em.

D0NN1E

Developer
The Devil Arms refer to Dante's weapons, such as Arbiter and Osiris I believe.

Right! So the original question was what's going on with these? I'm not exactly sure, so go ahead and write that fan fiction! Can't wait. :D

Here are my questions. You don't have to reply if you don't want to:

1) Did you or your team has considered making a full-game package of Vergil instead of DLC?

No, we always knew that was going to be a DLC.

2) Vergil's Downfall was short of... unique boss fights. Is it possible for you to elaborate on that?

Well, do I need to say that Dante was originally planned as a boss fight? Unfortunately his playable combat set was hard to tweak for a boss fight, we would have to pretty much redo him entirely. This was unlike Vergil, who we knew was going to be playable at some point. Even in that instance, a lot of Vergil's animations were completely redone for the DLC.

Instead, you get a cutscene that sets up the Hollow Dante boss fight, and then quickly resolves in a short cutscene. Very anticlimatic, but we had no other choice given the timeframe. :(

3) Did Capcom contact your team regularly on both main game's and the Vergil's Downfall DLC developments?

The main game had the most attention but we received constant feedback on the DLC.

4) How long it took your team to develop the DLC?

Six months in total.

5) How long did you take to conceptualise Vergil's Downfall on paper or presenting to your bosses?

The initial idea, of Vergil dying and going to Hell, came from my boss and I wrote the story based on that idea. It took a few weeks to get the structure nailed and my boss was happy with what we presented. Itsuno-san, director of previous DMCs, also read the story and said he liked it.

6) Did you have fun in developing the DLC with your team?
More than the main game, for many reason. :)

It's good to see some involvement and some attention placed here on the forum. It's hard to believe and it's ok with me either way.

I understand there were difficulties from the fanbase. When the game came out, what did you feel? Did you feel unsure, nervous, relieved, etc?

There were some, but I was happy to find this forum that was a lot more sensible, even the harsh critics were more sensible here. When the game came out I was in Brazil presenting the game at the launch event there, so I missed out on a lot of the emotions at the studio. I remember feeling very proud of what me and my colleagues achieved. When Vergil's Downfall came out I was nervous because I was quite protective of Vergil as a character and I wanted to see him done right for the fans.

With DmC out, do you feel that people have warmed up to it and that it has a chance of getting a sequel?

If people have warmed up to it? I really don't know. The game got decent reviews and people seem to be giving it a chance, especially with the PC port, so maybe? S

Sequel? I have no idea.

I like what was done with Vergil in DmC and I love how his ability to control lesser demons was elaborated on. The question will be a little hard to answer. I noticed Vergil now has the same ability scheme as DMC Vergil and that's awesome. Do you think DmC Vergil can take DMC Vergil? Will he falter? Will it be a stalemate? I'm not taking this as an official thing, I'm interested in your opinion.

Tough call! Vergil at the end of the DLC is a "young" Nelo Angelo. Very powerful but still unexperienced. Given that in DMC 3 Vergil is in full control of his capabilities, maybe he could win?

I believe I already put the pieces together on my second playthrough and have a fine idea of what will happen next. If there was anything in the game you wanted to change, what would that be?

Main game or DLC?

Do you have any questions for us? I know you said you've been around this place. I thought maybe you'd like to ask us something individually. If anyone tries to give you any Virility, I'll swat 'em.

Haha! I think my question would be, do you think Vergil was done well in the DLC, despite the cutscenes being poorly drawn, etc, do you think the character developed well from where it was? Would like to know what you thought.

you may or may not be familiar with this all, but my reply is in the text boss below, in bold, apologies if you do know, just making sure.

Well, I didn't read Dante's Inferno, but researched it. Those are two different things. :) I read about the different stages of Hell and how they are supposed to test the main character, which is what happens in Vergil's Downfall. Lots of inspiration from it too, like the desert, etc.

i was meaning was she meant to resemble any particular real world person or stereotype?

No.

so could it be considered symbolic of someone moving away from his or her parents and doing things out in the world, alone and determined?

A more extreme version of that. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

The Final Offer

There were some, but I was happy to find this forum that was a lot more sensible, even the harsh critics were more sensible here. When the game came out I was in Brazil presenting the game at the launch event there, so I missed out on a lot of the emotions at the studio. I remember feeling very proud of what me and my colleagues achieved. When Vergil's Downfall came out I was nervous because I was quite protective of Vergil as a character and I wanted to see him done right for the fans.

Vergil was done in a manner that alot of people I've met here couldn't seem to grasp at first. They expected Vergil to have this samurai code he lived by. I'm a huge fan of Vergil and always choose him over Dante even in defeat. In DmC, he gains even more depth and actual reason to go as dark as he did by the end of the game. I believe I understand the character's direction and with that being said the job done on Vergil is so good that DMC 3 Vergil's purpose seems so much more explained than it had before. If you jump from DmC to DMC 3 it's actually possible to continue the story from there.

I understand they're in different universes, I also see the safety net just in case there won't be any plans for DmC 2. In short, excellent work with Vergil and the entire game.

If people have warmed up to it? I really don't know. The game got decent reviews and people seem to be giving it a chance, especially with the PC port, so maybe? S

Sequel? I have no idea.

When you were presented with the duty of helping with DmC, did you think about how the fanbase would react with the idea of a reboot?If so, could you elaborate?

Tough call! Vergil at the end of the DLC is a "young" Nelo Angelo. Very powerful but still unexperienced. Given that in DMC 3 Vergil is in full control of his capabilities, maybe he could win?

I get what you're saying and if my thinking is correct. You're saying "how can the past of someone beat the future?" Again, it's my astronomical love for both series that compel me to think things like this. haha.

Main game or DLC?

Oh both if you can. Though, I think you have nothing for Vergil's Downfall....cause I have nothing to change. Oh and Vergil and Hollow Dante fighting on top of Assiel blew my mind! Bravo on that!

Haha! I think my question would be, do you think Vergil was done well in the DLC, despite the cutscenes being poorly drawn, etc, do you think the character developed well from where it was? Would like to know what you thought.

I've been praising Vergil's character development since my second playthrough of Vergil's Downfall. It is definitely what I wanted and what he needed for me to compare him to the DMC 3 Vergil. I'm so impressed and confident in the abilities of the team that I'm with you all on the direction entirely.

Since we're on the subject and I know how you feel about Vergil in DmC. I don't, however, know how you would feel if Vergil was placed into Playstation All Stars to represent DmC. Oh and would you be playing as him if he were in the Playstation All Stars?

In short, I personally believe the game to be a masterpiece for it's genre. We're not granted games like this often or opportunities such as this. This kind of stuff is most appreciated and inspiring.

Last thing that I'm sure people will think about after you leave. Do you think a DmC movie would be great for the big screen? Did you get to meet the band Combichrist? Would you say you love what you do and have done?

Last edited:

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
You know, I thought about creating a thread like this on April 1st... then ending it with this vid --

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyway, in all seriousness though, I'd like to welcome you to the forum.

There's something I'd like to get off my chest though:

You are the second person who worked on DmC to join the forum. The first person was a Q&A guy.

Why am I saying this? Well, for one, I don't know if he might have been a friend of yours, so I was curious to see if he was.

Second, he and I... sort of got into an argument about Ron Paul.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

He said that DmC was "sending a message about freedom" (paraphrased) and I concurred, stating Ron Paul as an example.

However, he then accused Ron Paul of "racism" and said that it was necessary for banks to be bailed so that society would "maintain order" (again, paraphrased).

But... isn't that what Mundus did? Bailout the banks and "maintain order"?

I dunno, it just sounded off to me, especially when I showed him how successful Iceland's economy was after they let their banks die.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edit: My main point was, it's wrong to steal from people's saving accounts and 401k plans just to bail out your own greedy banks and business in the first place --

-- especially since, that it's been proven that letting your bank die would be (much) better for the economy than bailing it out.

Also, the banks are the ones who caused the collapse. They should pay the price be left to die as a result.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, not trying to get into an argument or anything, just making sure that there's no... hostility here among us because I believe (based on the reading that I've done) that the "Iceland Solution" would be best for all of us -- (although I do also like the "Mexican Vigilante Solution" but I don't think I should talk about that for the time being) -- also, it is of my strong opinion that Ron Paul is definitely NOT a racist, despite claims to the contrary.

Anyway, I hope we're good. The last thing I need is for another former member of NT to hold a grudge against me.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, once again, welcome to the forum. Thanks for stopping by and for answering our questions.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If I had a question, it would be... "why'd they keep the colored enemies and why didn't they make the game more difficult?"

I would ask why they got rid of lock-on, but after talking to SamD and TwoXAcross (members of this forum) on the matter, I think that the control setup is fine just the way it is.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EDIT:

Wait... you wrote and directed Vergil's Downfall??

tumblr_m961tmUFcj1r3qnxf.gif

Well met. Bravo.

You know, I've always wanted a version of Persona 4 that used live-action combat (as opposed to turn-based) and this was the closest thing that had come to that.

It was as if Yu Narukami had turned evil (which, you can be if you go with the Evil ending in the Golden version of Persona 4).

Look, I know a lot of people give you flack for "copying" Bleach, but I say screw them, Persona 4 also took a LOT of cues from Bleach as well, and NO ONE complained about that.

Wow. I loved EVERYTHING about the DLC. Especially the art work. Everyone else says that they don't like it, but I say screw them too.

It was almost perfect, I really can't think of anything that I'd like to change... except maybe a few more missions (and gauntlets that enabled hand-to-hand combat), but I'll take what I can get, you know?

I say almost because anything can be improved if you look into it enough... even the Mona Lisa, if you ever found someone better than Da Vinci.

It was an (almost) perfect fusion of Persona 4 and Soul Reaver. 9 out of 10. Nine out of freakin' ten.

Edit:

I took off a point because you didn't include The Order mask as a wearable costume. I seriously loved that mask.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edit:

See? I told you guys that Vergil died. It wasn't in his head, after all.

Last edited:

mrrandomlulz

Monsuuuta moonssuta mo mo mo mo monsuuta
Nice to meet you, I'm mrrandomlulz, the local pony-spamming, thread-derailing, mod-avoiding, newbie-trolling, nuisance
images

Also, screw the resume, the impressive part of your linkedin is the fact that you look like a Hispanic Arnold Schwarzenegger rocking an awesome beard

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
Wow, some great info regarding the story here! I've got some questions!

1 - Is there anything that you could elaborate on in regards to the hollow Vergil, Dante, and Kat that were seen in Vergil's Downfall? The prevailing theory is that Dante and Kat represent emotional ties that Vergil must sever in order to gain more power, and they are seen as spiteful parodies of the real characters in order to make it easier for Vergil to want to sever those ties.

2 - So, Vergil is falling into Hell in Vergil's Downfall, and we see Eva - is that the real Eva, or an interpretation in Vergil's own mind, like the Hollow characters.

3 - Any specifics you can tell us about Vergil's character in the main game? Do you know why Vergil had white hair as a child while Dante didn't? Was he just "more in control" of his power than Dante was at that age?

I'll have to think of more later.

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
Oh, just remembered, initially Lilith's boss fight was going to be on a train and I prototyped the fight on a train that moved around Limbo. We scrapped this as it was technically very hard to do: all of Dante's combat was developed with the assumption he would be based on static ground. We tried a static train with moving background but this looked very cheap and unconvincing. This fight was then moved to the club.
Now that is interesting. Do you know what sort of plot idea made it so that the boss fight with Lilith was initially going to be on a train?

Last edited:

Vergil'sBitch

I am Nero's Mom & Obsessed fan girl
Premium
Regarding Vergil's Downfall, some of it I like to leave to people, but that one I can clear up. Vergil dies and goes to hell. His mother tells him "You're dead!" right at the start. :)

We had six months to do most of Vergil's Downfall.... Write, develop levels, record actors, test the levels, fix bugs, Etc! Vergil's combat set started slightly earlier and was prototyped during the Vergil boss fight development for the main game. The same designer worked on all Vergil incarnations in the game.

What I liked most was writing the story for Vergil, as he is my favourite DmC character. As a DMC fans this was hard at times to do for many, many reasons, but I also knew that I wanted to change perceptions of the character by going deeper into his soul and thoughts. Hopefully I achieved this.

Hi, Welcome to the forum :D
As a 'Vergil Obsessed Fan~Girl'... I bow to you *Bows* (I would courtesy, but I prefer trousers :p)
I love the art of the art of the main game and Vergil's Downfall, so I bought the artbook a while ago.

~ I'm sorry for seeming a tad stupid but even at the end when the demons are walking beside Vergil, is he still dead (if he is, I assume he is still in hell).

~ Also, could 'Hollow Vergil' be 'classed' as Nelo Angelo, or is he something different?

~ The design of the Red Orbs were changed. Was the new appearance a random design or are they supposed to be of anyone in particular?

The ending of Vergil's Downfall is the only thing that left me like this ... o_O

By the way, is this any early Vergil concept (also, he looks younger than the final version)?

*Sorry about fingers in shot*

Last edited:

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
Vergil came back to life. He woke up on his father's grave, and then the demons (who escaped hell) came after him.

However, seeing the fact that he became evil, plus realizing that he could defeat them all (after gaining his newfound power), they feared and respected him, and thus bowed to him.

Vergil'sBitch

I am Nero's Mom & Obsessed fan girl
Premium
Vergil came back to life. He woke up on his father's grave, and then the demons (who escaped hell) came after him.

However, seeing the fact that he became evil, plus realizing that he could defeat them all (after gaining his newfound power), they feared and respected him, and thus bowed to him.

So be defeating 'hollow' Kat, Dante and himself, he got his heart back and came back to life (or does he still have no heart)?
Sorry... *hangs head in shame*

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
So by defeating 'hollow' Kat, Dante and himself, he got his heart back and came back to life (or does he still have no heart)?
Sorry... *hangs head in shame*
The realm of hell took his heart... but it still had a power of its own.

His Hybrid Angel/Demonic heart... combined with the power of hell... created his hollow (his shadow) and the hollow versions of Dante and Kat.

The power of hell, its very essence, used Vergil's memories in his heart PLUS his fear of WHAT HE THINKS THAT THEY THINK OF HIM to accurately create Vergil's "fear" of them.

WE know that they look like Hollows, but Vergil probably saw them as "normal", and only saw Kat's "demonic" form when her face "changed" in that one cutscene -- however, Vergil must've assumed that Kat was corrupted by hell, and also that she wanted to turn against him.

Therefore, there was no "reason" to keep her alive, in his mind.

Also, the same probably happened with Dante, only without the "scary face".

When they said "Devil Arms", what they meant was, "The Melee Weapons".

They were referred to as "DA" because DMC3 called them that.

The deal with the devil arms (imho) is that they all came from Dante's body and Dante's connection to Limbo.

He had the tool to unlock them (his tattoo) but he needed to add the "Essence" of whatever demon he defeated to truly make it a part of his armory.

Take Bob the newscaster for example:

He most likely defeated an Angel, then took it's Angel Arm. Dante then received this arm when he defeated Bob in turn.

Last edited:

mrrandomlulz

Monsuuuta moonssuta mo mo mo mo monsuuta
When he comes back to the thread and reminds you about being sworn to confidentiality.
I'm gonna laugh at of you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom